Nail Your Regimen Support Thread 2011

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for the update Poohbear,

I didn't have SSKs or many splits when I was relaxed either. But I also didn't have SSKs when I was natural as a child, nor did my mother who has been natural more than she has been relaxed. So we are trying to figure out what is different about being natural know vs being natural then. I had never heard of a SSK until last year. Putting on my Columbo gear and figuring out this mystery :lol:

You're welcome.

I asked my mother about my natural hair when I was younger. She told me she would never ever let my natural hair or sister's natural hair shrink up or leave it out. It was either in those pigtail plaits or pressed straight. Now I'm too old to be walking around with a pigtail plait on each side of my head. :lol:

30something

I want to join you guys "officially"

Tell us About You
Natural
Current Length: (4-5? inches) Ear length
Current Regimen: Press 3 times a month

Current Staples/Techniques: CON Detangling shampoo and my handy Croc flat iron.

What in your regimen are trying to nail: constant regimen, faster wash day processes, find a good moisturizer and oil.

History (optional) – I relaxed from child hood, got suspicious and paranoid of hair salons so I just went natural.

faithVA

Welcome 20Something,

Will you share your wash day process with us so we may know where you are starting?

I would love a faster wash day process as well. I'm getting closer :yep:

30something

I recently been able to flat iron my hair in under 1:30 hr (excluding blow drying). Don't ask why it takes so long to only do really short hair, I just dont know. Usually pressing takes much longer than 1:30hrs and I had to finish it in the next day because I would get bored and lazy. I guess I'm slow with my hands.. I really would like to get it down to 1HR if that is possible. That is what usually makes my wash day process take so long... Shampoo..DC..detangling..blow dry...flat iron.. phew. Only time I can catch a break if I air dry into a puff-like-fro thing... and that is just knots, tangles and dryness...I love the look tho. I tired a lot of other styles on my hair but it is just as time consuming and a big FAIL!:perplexed I will be trying to air dry in flexi rods next... always liked that short hair flexi rod style way back when.

Last edited:

My regimen is still the same; however, my hairstyling has changed. I've purchased a wig to wear to switch it up (which my husband loves) and, as I type this message, my hair has been cornrowed. It's definitely bsl!! I went to a former stylist (I haven't gone to a salon in more than 13 months). Anyway, she shampooed, blew out, and cornrowed it for $20 (plus my $10 tip). I think I'll do this once a week until it cools down and I can sport more wigs and buns again.

Vashti

Current regimen

Friday night - pre poo with Vatika Hot Oil Treatment wrap with shower cap and silk scarf, go to bed.
Saturday morning - rinse out hot oil treatment, apply HE NOYF and oil the ends (SM elixir/castor/olive oil mix), style hair
Sunday - shampoo hair and DC with QH cholesterol conditioner. Oil scalp and ends, Detangle and twist or pin up hair.
Monday - moisturize with homemade spray, seal with oil mixture
Wednesday - same as Monday, re style hair
Start over again Friday night

If I wear a pinned up style I wrap my hair with a silk scarf to keep the style in place.

Amante

Prepoo/ Oil Rinse: Coconut Oil
Shampoo: Devacare No Poo Shampoo
[O.R.]
Conditioners: Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner/ Knot 2day
Deep Conditioners (Still Searching)

Moisturizers: Water + AVJ, AO B5, Organic Nilotica Shea Butter,
Oils/ Sealants: Coconut Oil, Rose Hip Oil, Castor Oil

Style: bun, pinned jumbo twists, french rolls, headwraps.
Periodically moisturize with h2o + avj

Still searching for a DC and still looking for more natural shampoo/ conditioner alternatives that yield the same quality results. I am thinking of letting KCCC go for a season. I want to lay low on styling products except for AO B5. . .

Also, i'm not a fan of protective styling, but that needs to become a main stay in my regimen if i am going to retain any length. . .

I want to simply this thing even more if I can!

alive

faithVA, that's a really good question. I think i went wrong with my choice of extensions. Normally, i do kinky twists with marley hair but this time, i bought synthetic jumbo extensions. I wanted something a little straighter than kinky hair but tetured enough that it won’t look weird with my natural hair. It turned out beautiful but when I took it out after just 3 weeks, my ends were atrocious. I think the synthetic fibers may have cut into my hair when I was twisting or something because I’ve never had such a bad experience with twists and I was moisturizing consistently.

Before putting the hair in, I read somewhere to stay away from synthetic hair but the person didn’t explain why. I guess now I know :lol:

Let us know how the kinky twists turn out. I don’t think you should have any problems with it

alive, How long did you have the braids in for? Do you know why the braids gave you issues with your ends?

I am installing Kinky twists at the end of the month and I will keep them in for 4 weeks. I will be monitoring the ends to see if this is a good protective style for me or not. Last year I had an issue with them but I didn't have any type of regimen in place to maintain my hair while in twists. This year I have a better plan.

Just wondering if you had any suggestions or lessons learned.

CurlyLawGal

I am nowhere NEAR nailing down my reggie, but I have found a 3 staples while also eliminating a product that caused more harm than good. That's a start right!???

About Me
Natural

Current Length:
Shoulder Length

Current Regimen:
- Poo and Condition 1x/week with Donna Marie Moisturizing Shampoo and Donna Marie Miracle Detangler and Conditioner
- co-wash as needed with Donna Marie Miracle Detangler and Conditioner and HE Hello Hydration;
- DC on poo days with Bee Mine Bee-U-tiful
- protein as needed with ApHogee 2 min reconstruct
- Apply Darcy's Botanicals Vanilla Leave-in Daily; seal with sweet almond oil and castor oil mix
- No direct heat (for now, anways)

Current Staples/Techniques:
- I LOVE Darcy's Vanilla Leave-in sealed with sweet almond and castor oil. :lick:
- I recently learned that Elasta QP mango butter was causing breakage :nono:, so I gave it to a friend.
- Curlformers were a total WIN for me! I will do this at least once a month.

What in your regimen are trying to nail:
Right now, I am happy with the Donna Marie Shampoo and Conditioner, but I am not ready to call them staples. I am not 100% satisfied with the Bee Mine DC, so I am on the lookout for an amazing DC. Also, I need more bun ideas for protective styling. I wear the same bun almost every day, and by the time I pack up and go home, my hair looks a mess. I really don't want to use pony tail holders, but even when I do, my buns are DONE by COB. I think braidouts and twistouts look awful on me (I love them on everyone else), so that leaves me to my tired bun and curlformers. I need some variety.

Imani

My last two attempts at flat ironing on my leave out hair were massive fails. Still not sure what it is I am doing wrong. Hair came out super dry limp and crispy and wouldn't hold a curl.

First time I assumed it was bc I used too harsh of a shampoo. So second time used milder shampoo, was better than first time but still a fail. Also just got a new flat iron the fhi runway, I dont know if I got a defective product or something but so far not feeling it, need my Hana elite back (I dropped and broke it).

I really need to figure this out, don't trust anyone up here w my hair. And can't be going back to atl everytime I want my hair straightened, lol.

cia_garces

So... There's falling off the wagon. Then there's falling off the wagon and rolling in the street. I've fallen off the wagon, rolled into the street, and then rolled off into a side ditch. :nono: Ugh!!! I'm so frustrated with myself. I'm just super fed up with my lack of consistency. I'm glad I'm in this support thread 'cause I'm really needing some support right now. Other areas of my life have improved, and I'm happy about that, but it seems like when I start getting serious about other things I care about I slack SUPER hard on my hair. *sigh* I guess it's all about balance.

Whatever I decide to do with my hair I know it has to be SUPER simple. Oh well.... Back to the drawing board.

faithVA

I am nowhere NEAR nailing down my reggie, but I have found a 3 staples while also eliminating a product that caused more harm than good. That's a start right!???

curlylawyGal, Thats definitely a start.

- I recently learned that Elasta QP mango butter was causing breakage

I have heard so many good things about this. But when I read the ingredients it had dimethicone. And I found for me that ingredient doesn't work. Glad that you figured out what wasn't working.

- Curlformers were a total WIN for me! I will do this at least once a month.

I have these and I can't wait until my hair is a little longer to really put them to use. I am thinking sometime in the fall my back should hang a bit more and be ready.

I really don't want to use pony tail holders
Have you tried banana clips or knee hi's. I have seen quite a few buns done with banana clips (the round ones).

faithVA

So... There's falling off the wagon. Then there's falling off the wagon and rolling in the street. I've fallen off the wagon, rolled into the street, and then rolled off into a side ditch. :nono: Ugh!!! I'm so frustrated with myself. I'm just super fed up with my lack of consistency. I'm glad I'm in this support thread 'cause I'm really needing some support right now. Other areas of my life have improved, and I'm happy about that, but it seems like when I start getting serious about other things I care about I slack SUPER hard on my hair. *sigh* I guess it's all about balance.

Whatever I decide to do with my hair I know it has to be SUPER simple. Oh well.... Back to the drawing board.

@cia-garces, we are here to support you. How are you doing this week? Are you getting back on your regimen?

faithVA

Thank you ladies for your updates. I apologize for my delayed response. I went on vacation and actually spent some time away from the hair board. :yep: And now I am not as addicted as I was. :lol:

Welcome 20Something. I apologize if I didn't welcome you earlier. Sometimes life seems to get away from me.

faithVA

I have my hair in kinky twists this week. But they will be coming out this weekend. Last year I loved the kinky twists. This year, I think I just want to have my own hair on my head and nothing else.

So I will get back to my regimen tomorrow: scalp massage, HOT, shampoo, DC, leave-in, moisturize and then do some type of updo style on Sunday.

I don't know if I miss my hair as much as I miss taking care of my scalp.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
CurlyLawGal - I use banana clips almost 98% of the time now. Last year I mainly used cut up knee highs. I occasionally use them now but rarely because the banana clip does the trick. My bun hides the banana clip.

NikkiQ

I think I need to change my reggie. My hair is at a stand still and it's quite frustrating. I'll never make it to APL by the end of the year/beginning of next year at this pace...even with taking Nioxin and Biotin. *sigh*

faithVA

I think I need to change my reggie. My hair is at a stand still and it's quite frustrating. I'll never make it to APL by the end of the year/beginning of next year at this pace...even with taking Nioxin and Biotin. *sigh*

NikkiQ,

How do you know your hair is at a standstill. You make SL last month. Isn't it a little soon to predict that you are at a stand still?

NikkiQ

@NikkiQ,

How do you know your hair is at a standstill. You make SL last month. Isn't it a little soon to predict that you are at a stand still?

I'm weird. I can kinda tell when my hair hasn't budged a millimeter (especially now that I can cheat by measuring my roots :lachen:). I'm just being impatient I guess, but I still want to change things up a bit. Smushing the hair down to go under wigs just isn't cuttin it anymore.

Bublin

Hi all
I need a complete reggie overhaul.
I have realised that nearly every single product i use has a high protien content and i am having trouble knowing which products are moisturising only.

Right now my hair is very hard and dry.

Recommendations for moisturising leave-in's and moisturisers would be great.

I'm in the Uk so they will have to be regular bss products.

faithVA

Hi all
I need a complete reggie overhaul.
I have realised that nearly every single product i use has a high protien content and i am having trouble knowing which products are moisturising only.

Right now my hair is very hard and dry.

Recommendations for moisturising leave-in's and moisturisers would be great.

I'm in the Uk so they will have to be regular bss products.

Hi Bublin, Sorry missed your post. It slipped through without my seeing it. I don't use a modified version of Kimmay Tube's leave-in (TW conditioner, AVG and sunflower oil).

Does your hair feel moisturized when you shampoo or cowash and only dry after you its dry? Are you relaxed? Does your hair even need protein?

What products are you using now starting with your shampoo?

faithVA

I'm weird. I can kinda tell when my hair hasn't budged a millimeter (especially now that I can cheat by measuring my roots :lachen:). I'm just being impatient I guess, but I still want to change things up a bit. Smushing the hair down to go under wigs just isn't cuttin it anymore.

NikkiQ - My mom says my hair is growing every week. I never see it doing anything. But my mom always tells me I look thinner every time I gain 5 lbs. :ohwell:

I figure I will watch my gray grow in for the summer to watch my growth. I put in henna 3 weeks ok and I can see the henna growing in. Definitely not 1/2" though.

faithVA

With extensions its hard to consistently work on my regimen but making a little progress.

Prepooing and Hots work for me. I just do them when I have time or my scalp wants some extra love.
My Elasta QP shampoo(s) are definitely on point.
My TW conditioner works well.
I am including oil rinses. Just haven't decided whether they work best for me before the DC or after.
Right now I apply DC, apply oil to my ends, detangle, twist my hair in 8 twists, sit under a heat cap for 30 minutes. Rinse in twists under warm water. Fill sink 1/2 way and put in 2 caps of oil. Dip my hair. Put on t-shirt and let dry.

Still haven't firmed up my styling regimen (s). I think this will have to wait more until I am APL.

Bublin

Hi @Bublin, Sorry missed your post. It slipped through without my seeing it. I don't use a modified version of Kimmay Tube's leave-in (TW conditioner, AVG and sunflower oil).

Does your hair feel moisturized when you shampoo or cowash and only dry after you its dry? Are you relaxed? Does your hair even need protein?

What products are you using now starting with your shampoo?

faithVA
Thanks for responding.

I am natural.

My hair feels just great after i shampoo and condition (Tigi Beadhead sulphate and paraben free moisturising shampoo for curly hair and Queen Helene often mixed with whatever oils i get my hands on)

The problem comes with what i put on my hair after this to air dry in braids - my hair is/was getting drier and drier, feels brittle and stringy even though all the products i use were mosturising - well it turns out they are not and they ALL contain high levels of protien.
What i have recently stopped doing is....applying giovanni direct leave-in on damp hair immediately followed by moistursing with Cantu Shea butter and sealing with coconut oil to braid. I then air dry overnight. I have not used heat for about 2 months.

I now need to find leave-in's and moisturisers that are truly moisturising but this i'm finding very difficult. I've not received much advice on products really.

faithVA

@faithVA
Thanks for responding.

I am natural.

My hair feels just great after i shampoo and condition (Tigi Beadhead sulphate and paraben free moisturising shampoo for curly hair and Queen Helene often mixed with whatever oils i get my hands on)

I now need to find leave-in's and moisturisers that are truly moisturising but this i'm finding very difficult. I've not received much advice on products really.

Well its too soon too say that it is protein overload. It could be that you need a PH adjustment to your products or your hair may not like coconut oil.

Before switching moisturizers because you could go round and round a bit with that have you tried the following:

Have you tried Kimmay Tube's leave-in by taking your Giovanni Leave-in and adding Aloe Vera Gel and some oil?

Sealing with a different type oil? If you apply coconut oil directly to your hair does it dry hard or soft? If hard your hair doesn't like coconut oil.

I don't know which products you have in UK but some choices are
1. Shea Moisture Smoothie
2. Some people like Infusium (but it does have cones)
3. Enso Naturals
4. Bee Mine

I'm sure some other responses will come in for moisturizers.

Bublin

Thanks for your response.
Yes i have tried adding aloe vera and oils to my Giovanni and that didn't improve my hair.

I think Bee Mine is available here.

Just to give an update and stop hijaking this thread, my Mother got a hold of me and told me to use grease - yes grease - in my hair....and it worked a treat.
I applied my Giovanni Leave-in, applied Dax pomade to sections to seal and braided damp. I applied castor oil to my scalp. My hair has never ever felt this soft and smooth.

faithVA

Thanks for your response.
Yes i have tried adding aloe vera and oils to my Giovanni and that didn't improve my hair.

I think Bee Mine is available here.

Just to give an update and stop hijaking this thread, my Mother got a hold of me and told me to use grease - yes grease - in my hair....and it worked a treat.
I applied my Giovanni Leave-in, applied Dax pomade to sections to seal and braided damp. I applied castor oil to my scalp. My hair has never ever felt this soft and smooth.

Glad it worked for you. It sounds like you needed something heavier to seal with.

CurlsBazillion

Hi ladies!! I'm in braids (extensions) right now and have a different regimen for that. It is very simple. I wash (diluted dandruff shampoo)my scalp weekly and use aussie 3min conditioner as a leave in then seal with olive oil. I mist my scalp with water daily and apply a very small amt of garnier leave in every other day.