Nail Your Regimen Support Thread 2011

faithVA

Two more months to year end. A little more refining.

Wash Routine
--Rinse hair and scalp under shower and detangle
--Alternate weeks between mudwash and cowash
--Apply ceramide oil to hair and oil blend to scalp
--Apply conditioner over oil and work conditioner into strands
--DC under heat cap/Or steam
--Let DC sit for period of time (will vary based on available time)
--Rinse in twist
--Apply leave in, seal ends with shea butter and work product into strands
--Air dry for 10 to 15 minutes
--Mist hair with SM Mist

--Twist damp hair with gel
--Seal ends with butter

Midweek Maintenance
-Mist 1x-2x a day with SM mist or another spray mist or water
-Seal ends daily with a butter/butter blend
-Seal twists daily with butter until it feels coated then skip a day before repeating

Still looking for local conditioner and leave-in.
May switch to steaming 1x a month versus every other week
Still want to experiment with oil rinsing and ACV rinses

Last edited:

faithVA

This thread gets no love :lol:

For the most part I have nailed my regimen. And will follow what I have and tweek it as needed.

So I am officially closing this support thread. I will no longer be monitoring it.

Thank you to all the ladies that participated.

Wishing you Happy Hair Growing in 2012.

SavannahNatural

I don't have a "regimen" per se. I've come to accept that I need moisture and to protect my hair at all times. I haven't applied any heat for the majority of the year. I attempted to straighten once, on my own, and it was a disaster. So I'll save the straightening of hair for a professional.

I'm using up what I have, product wise, I'm still too early in my natural hair journey to commit. The PJ in me wants to try everything and still go through trial and errors.

But in general co-washes work for me. I dc regularly, after every shampoo. I've been known to stretch out my cleansing... out of pure laziness. So I still go a few weeks between actual cleansing, with co-washes in between.

My hair has grown quite a bit and I'll have to snap some pictures soon, as the end of the year quickly approaches.

I appreciate the support and the many rec's from this thread and hopefully 2012 finds me a little more active in the forum.

faithVA thanks for always checking up on us!

30something

I found my regimen.. pretty much involves Aussie moist/ Tresemme/Lustrasilk conditoners. Clarify the first week of the month. Shampoo 4 times a month (which is includes clarifying). Aphogee 2 step ever 8-12 weeks. Straighten hair 0-4 times month (depends how I feel), other days air dry in a style and redo that every 3-4 days. Been retaining hair, have no real issue. Found out that moisturizing and Co washing is not necessary in my regimen... also found ways to cut down the amount of time I spend doing my hair. Only thing I need to improve is styling natural hair beyond what I already do.

Imani

Straight hair:
ONe of the main thing I wanted was to master a good flat iron/blow dry. But I gave up on it for a while since I only plan to straighten my hair about 5 times a year. I tried a new salon, but wasn't feeling them so I am going to attempt yet again to straighten my own hair and kinda give up on finding someone to straighten my hair up here in my new location. I go home about 2 or 3 times a year so I can go to my stylist in Atl for trims on those times, but the other couple of times I need to learn how to do it myself.

I plan to attempt to straighten my own hair for NYE, concentrating more on technique and keeping the flat iron at 390 degrees. I'm not sure what speed/temp to put the blow dryer on. So I guess I will try low speed/warm to be on the safe side.

Everyday styles/twists
I haven't really been feeling the twists. They always come out frizzy and anorexic looking since my hair is fine. And are so time consuming, and shrink so much.

I've been doing I guess you would call it a chunky twist out and pulling my hair back in a big ponytail or a bun.

I've been working out a lot (and I sweat REALLY hard esp in my head) so I've been wetting my hair in the shower and sleeping with it damp in big twists and a (silk of course) scarf around the front. And then taking the twists out and pulling back into a bun in the morning. My hair seems more manageable, stretched out, and not as dry looking doing this. I just wonder if this bad for my hair bc I think I've heard people saying its not good to wet fine hair all the time. But I am only barely manipulating it with my fingers and smoothing the front down with my hands (I never use combs or brushes except on wash days)

Products
I'm pretty much using the same stuff except...
I recently revisited Oyin Products. I tried them out back when I was transitioning. Back then I liked the Juices and Berries spray but felt it was too sticky. And I thought the Honey Hemp was too sticky as well...I thought it was cool that it made my hair "clump", which at the time was hard to do but didn't seem to do what I bought it for (deep moisture conditioning).

So this time I've been using the Juices and Berry on wet hair or diluted with water and I like it (plus people are always telling me how good my hair smells, lol). And using the Honey Hemp as more of a leave in/moisturizer when I wet my hair in the shower, it helps my hair be more defined when I have in twisted out/loose. Also I like the Dew as a leave in...I get tired of making that kimmaytube leave in and this seems to work just as well. I used to avoid Oyin's products bc of the honey and glycerin esp in winter. But on their site they say in winter to use them in the shower, which is what I do.

Final Verdict:
Still playing around with my reggie a little. The big things for me right now are finding cute styles while maintaining the health of my hair. When I was trying to make SL, I was like...I wanted to get some length by any means necessary. Wasn't concerned about styling or time consumption; I wore a wig almost 100% of the time for about a year even tho I'm not really all that fond of fake hair.

But now I'm trying to pursue some hobbies/interests, get out more, etc so I want to slash some time out of my reggie and feel cute wearing my real hair out in its natural state. As silly as it sounds I'm actually excited I'm finally able to do a bun-my hair is so kinky and poofy, getting it to pull back into a neat looking bun is a big accomplishment.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i finally nailed my regimen

i wash,dc and set my hair 2 times a week. so far i think its working because i am no longer frustrated with my hair.