Natural Gals--What type of moisturizer do you use?

What type of moisturizer works best for you?

• Serum

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Leave in conditioner/creamy moisturizer

Votes: 184 78.3%
  • Shea butter

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 45 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Qhemet Biologics Alma and Olive Heavy Cream
Shea butter mixed with coconut oil & castor oil

I just tried Kimmaytube's leave-in last night (but used Giovanni Direct Leave-in instead). It was great. :yep:

I receive most of my moisture through my dc but on the 3rd day i refresh my hair with CoCo Cream LI from SSI mixed with aloe vera and Jojoba Oil or spray my hair with SSI Moisture Mist then seal with hot six oil. I found out that my hair hate heavy butters and cream (it would just snap).

I use shea moisture's hair lotion and seal with castor oil. My hair is soft for at least 2 days and then on the third day I just use a little bit more of the castor oil. Actually, sometimes I think all I need is my beloved castor oil!

I use Curl Junkie leave in diluted in spring water with a bit of glycerin w about a spoon of grapeseed oil .

a mixture of olive oil, conditioner and water...spritz everyday under my gel....and after I wet with water on days I dont apply product..

Forgive the dumb question but does s curl make u ladies hair feel greasy? I just remember the 80s at the height of the jheri curl

Regular conditioner is the best moisturizer for me. I use Giovanni.

I do the same, my favorite is AO White Camelia. Then I seal with an oil.
Best thing I ever tried on my hair. Nothing was moisturizing for over a few hours until I tried this.

I'm transitioning and so far I like how my hair feels when I moisturize with Fantasia IC leave-in moisturizer hair & scalp treatment and seal with coconut oil. I've also tried Kimmaytube's leave-in concoction as a hair moisturizer and like that as well.

S curl, hawaiin silky 14 in 1 and Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer. I love the Luscious! It's light, smells good, smooths my edges too.

Trader Joe's Nourish or Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose. I didn't set out to use organic products, but my hair really seems to love them. I seal with EVCO. I tried Giovanni Direct Leave in, but it made my scalp itch and my hair felt a little dry; still and all, I might revisit the product because I tend to be heavy handed with my products.

Water-based creamy moisturizers (Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream & Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion)

While transitioning and until recently, I swore by Scurl. However, when I tried the CG Method, I gave Scurl never to return. I learned that the product that I liked in Scurl was the glycerine so now I just use a little veggie glycerine :yep: along with my leave in to moisturize.

This may be a dumb question, but pls forgive me as I am new to this and learning. What is the difference between a water-based moisturizer and an oil-based moisturizer? Just because a product has water listed as the first ingredient doesn't necessarily mean it's a water-based moisturizer, does it? I use ORS Carrot Oil as my moisturizer and seal with castor oil. Can anyone give an example of a water-based moisturizer and an oil-based moisturizer? TIA.

This may be a dumb question, but pls forgive me as I am new to this and learning. What is the difference between a water-based moisturizer and an oil-based moisturizer? Just because a product has water listed as the first ingredient doesn't necessarily mean it's a water-based moisturizer, does it? I use ORS Carrot Oil as my moisturizer and seal with castor oil. Can anyone give an example of a water-based moisturizer and an oil-based moisturizer? TIA.

FabGorgeousWestIndian To me, anything with water in it, especially as one of the first ingredients, is water-based. Oil-based moisturizers are usually just the pure oils themselves or something like Nubian Heritage Raw Shea Butter Hair & Scalp Elixir whose ingredients are: African Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Silk Protein, Sweet Almond Protein, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Essential Oil Blend, Soy Milk, Extracts of Frankincense & Myrrh

Last edited:
i usually like any thick creamy water based condish or leave-in...for my spritzes i use water, avg/avj, a lil of any oil, and sometimes a lil condish...i never measure anything lol

KBB- Hair milk

Darcys-Leave in conditioner

Njoi creations-Ayurvedic butter cream

Nu Gro-Moisturizing spray

Happy Hair Growing

Darcy's Shea Leave In has been great to me lately but im still missing my beloved BM Deja's Hair Milk can't wait for black friday to re-up!

Looks like I need to try SCurl too...

But I've recently been using StaSofFro and then Shea Butter... Makes may hair feel food so far... We'll see if it continues.

I currently spritz my hair with water, apply Hello Hydration Conditioner as a leave-in, then Cantu Shea Butter on top of that.:yep:

Last edited:
I have a question regarding those that say s-curl for moisture....what do you do for the fall and winter, when there is not moisture in the air? just wondering because i never used it this season, so just curious.

Back