NATURALS...am i the only one?

jasmine26

Who can't imagine being longer than BSL as a natural!?!

I can't imagine the time it will take for styling

I can't imagine the time and anguish for detangling

I can't imagine the wash days

When my hair was really short, i always envisioned being a bsl and longer natural, and now that i'm achieving some length i almost DREAD doing my hair. I have to mentally build myself up to do anything with my hair. I hate feeling like this but, i do!! And it has to only get worse with length, right!?! I think reality is sinking in and i don't want to be anything longer than bsl. I think i'm venting because i just finished restyling my hair and it's was so hard and time consuming to do!!!!:(

mahoganee

Hmm,hmm I'm feelin' ya girl. I try to block out time now to do my hair which is very thick and I can only imagine what it will be like when it's longer.

jasmine26

THICK and long, see i think i will just accidently one day wake up to dreads, cuz i would never do my hair , lol:)!!!

beyondcute

Nope. I dont want it any longer than bra strap unstretched. My hair is thick and when it gets there it will eb thick AND long. I dont think I could handle it any longer than that... I wouldnt want to.

Joyful1

After having natural hair for many, many years and having great length and thickness and then allowing some awful things to be done to it and now trying to restore it to its former glory, I'm grateful for whatever time it takes.

Whenever I start to think about the amount of time I spend doing my hair, I reflect on when it took mere minutes because some stylist thought my hair was too thick. :(

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I can see that it'll take time, but I already devote one day out of the week for hair TLC so I'm not scured

Amina

I just want my hair back to where it used to be. LONG. I still want waist length hair and maybe beyond. I know it is possible b/c I had long natural hair when I was younger. I don't care if I have to go back to pigtails to do it, I will.

Motivator01

I am feeling you >>> I was just considering OPTIONSSS sombody stop me for when my hair gets longer because things are getting insane ... I still love my natural hair but with two little children some days like today I just sat with a baggy on my head because it takes me long to do my hair and sometime it take 2-3 days to two strand twist ... just venting this is not an attack on nautral hair

But I am veeeeeerrrry grateful for being where I am I just still have not gotten some real staple products and this Pjism is killling me.

SignatureBeauty

Aww! Jasmine I am sure you will feel better soon about your hair, I can't wait to get to where you are now. If you don't want your hair any longer then maybe you should keep it cut at a certain length. Your Hair Is Beautiful!

IrisDaVirus

The only thing I can't imagine is trimming my hair once it gets to longer lengths. I probably won't let it grow past shoulder-length when it's unstretched.

hopeg80

jasmine26 I feel ya on those wash and style days, I totally dread doing my hair! By the way I loooove your hair, very pretty two strands.

I wouldn't mind my hair growing longer than BSL, but I don't look forward to having to detangle that hair. I just want my hair to be long enough so when I do my two strands and they shrink it is still around my shoulders.

jasmine26

i mean don't get me wrong ladies, either, i LOVE natural hair! I won't ever do the relaxer again and i'm very grateful for where i'm at. But i can't seem to avoid the hassle that comes with washing/detangling/styling my hair. i have products that makes this process easier but it still requires more time than i would like. I don't think there's anyway to avoid it! The only way i can see myself being a longer-haired natural, is if i could do wash n gos. But i can't. I personally LOVE twists, and that style is just so easy and versatile. I would LOVE to see how long my hair can grow, but realistically, i know i would not be able to deal with everything that goes along with it! :)

MrsQueeny

I am thinking it may get a little easier as it grows out and we learn more tips and tricks to deal with it. I also think that the curl factor won't be a problem with all the length but we will have to see. I am excited about having my hair long again especially all natural. I guess we will have to wait and see. Q

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Truthfully I don't understand people with perms who want to go past bra-strap, let alone super long natural hair.

I met the woman who created the Hairobics product line and she has thick 3C/4A tailbone length hair and I can't imagine how much work that has to be to deal with on wash day.

Nanyanika

I had waistlength natural hair and it wasn't too bad, it was the wash days that were hard, when it came to detangling and keeping it moisturised whilst airdrying my hair would often matt and feel dry, and my hair was extremely thick too. i have pics in my album, of my waistlength dayz.

jasmine26

den1, what styles did u wear as a waistlength natural? do u have any tips or techniques that u learned that makes dealing with natural long hair easier!?!

jcoily, tailbone length hair! I would've loved to see it! but i can't imagine the work behind that!

Nanyanika

jasmine26 said:
den1, what styles did u wear as a waistlength natural? do u have any tips or techniques that u learned that makes dealing with natural long hair easier!?!

jcoily, tailbone length hair! I would've loved to see it! but i can't imagine the work behind that!
Bear in mind i'm 4a/4b so my hair shrunk to shoulders. I wore twist styles and cornrows a lot. On wash days i'd placed 6 braids in my hair to prevent tangling
I hardly handled my hair, because my hair didn't like a lot of manipulation. Always detangle with lots of conditioner and water, it will make dealing with the length a breeze. always used widetooth combs. I would often shampoo/condition over my natural twists/braids to make it easier, my hair grew in very thick, coarse and strong. sorry i don't have any more tips.

near waistlength, i strecthed out one braid

Cichelle

As for me, I look forward to getting past BSL...and ultimately to hip length. I have faith that I will figure out how to work with it. I look forward to the challenge. :)

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Nope. I enjoy doing my hair, the longer it gets the happier I am. I want to cut it sometimes just because it tabgled less short. But nah, I enjoy the length.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I don't know....I have already set a limit to stop around brastrap when straightened because detangling what I have now is a pain so I can't imagine if it is waistlength. But then again, I'm still making discoveries about my hair (likes a good amount of protein and needs silicones) so maybe if i can handle it I'll try to make it to waistlength....but I know I won't go past that....that's just too much hair for me personally.

ekomba

i dunno me on the contrary i think its easier to care for longer hair than shorter natural hair when you passed the twa stage. i cowash once a week which is a saturday devoted to my hair mainly and i think it would be way easier to just cowash and put it in a long braid or a bun i cant wait it would be so easier than having to twist the whole head and i could just do a ponytail or anything the longer the better:D

jasmine26

thanks den1, for those tips, i'm using the jilbere shower comb, and maybe i need to buy a wider tooth comb!

nursen98, what did u find out about silicones and your hair?

Country gal

I can't wait to have really long natural hair. I am so looking forward to it. I want to see how long it will grow. I love being natural. I feel cheated that I was a permie for so long. I could of being rocking bra strap lenght by now if I went natural a long time ago. Detangling is not hard for me. I use lots of Biolage detangling lotion and use my denman brush. I can't wait to wear my hair nurse. I want a long afro puff. I baby my hair. I love wash days because I really take time to do my hair up right. I will probably wear 2-strand twists like I do now. I love the kinky twists extensions that folks are wearing. I want my natural hair to have the length of those kinky twists ladies are sporting.

so1913

For the style I ultimately want to achieve, I want to go no longer than slightly passed shoulder length, layered and unstretched. I now want to keep my layers in, but just need more length! At the most, I don't think I want my hair any longer than armpit unstretched which should bring me to about brastrap stretched. I don't need anymore hair than that and can probably do with less, but can't wait to get closer to it.

Detangling and handling isn't an issue for me either, if anything, I think it will be easier to style as it gets longer. I love my natural hair, so me not wanting longer hair isn't because of handling issues, more so achieving a certain style. I want to keep it similar shape to the avatar, just with more length, bigger, wilder and better!

Last edited:

tropicexotic

free @ last
My hair isn't too hard to handle now...just gotta take my time w/ it, but I enjoy doing whatever it is I'm doing to it. I guess I'm not looking forward to simple styles like twists or braids taking a day to do.

honeisos

OHHH Den 1 ... my hair idol .. love
your hair den!!!!

My hair is brastrap now ... but with shrinkage ... there is no way you can see that .. it shrinks to my ears ..

I use a lot of conditioner .. to get my hair to be tangle free .. I mean a lot ..
I started washing 1 a week .. I washing 3-4 times a week when it was shorter .. I love love love the denham brush ... gets rid at knots and sray hairs ...
Cantu she butter is the best for my hair to soften and detangle after the washing ...
I can't wait for my hair to be waistlength... so the shrinkage won't such a pain in the butt.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
jasmine26 said:
thanks den1, for those tips, i'm using the jilbere shower comb, and maybe i need to buy a wider tooth comb!

nursen98, what did u find out about silicones and your hair?

I found out that my ends coil around each other really badly if I don't keep them detangled. I was trying to do no-poo and no silicones for about a year but my ends were in terrible shape no matter how much trimming and lubricating I did. Last year AFTER my bc (so between March-Dec. 2005), I "trimmed" 4-5 inches of hair:eek: This year so far I've trimmed about an inch. I've tried so many things, products & methods....so I read about silicones smoothing out the cortex so that the hair doesn't snag onto each other and I decided to try it.

So in addition to keeping my hair detangled, I use products w/cones. Since then, i've seen a couple of knots but NOTHING like how my hair usually behaves on no-silicone products. I use milder cones like amodimethicone & dimethicone. My ends are doing so much better now:)