Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Haired?

Janet'

Morning Ladies,

Missjae09 and I were having a discussion about hair (of course) and we both came to the conclusion that texture has just as much, if not, more to do with success of products (as opposed to hair type: 1,2,3,4)...When I look at others with my same hair type and see what kinds of products they use- it could be a hit or miss...I moreso look at people with my same texture (strand size)- I have THICK hair, but my individual strands are medium- so, even though people have classified me as 4a/3c- I need thick, creamy leave-ins, oils, heck, even grease works- whereas my fine-haired 4a/3c friend's hair would rebel against all of those things...

So, my question is do you consider yourself fine, medium, coarse, or wiry haired? Do you think the individual strand size makes a difference in product or do you think that it is all about your hair type? Missjae09 found some info from Long Hair Community and I have provided it below for those of you (like myself) who might need a refresher...

"I am noticing several threads with people worrying about their "thin" hair — usually from the fines, or baby fines — and I thought a simple definition of the types and how they occur might be helpful. This is from The Hair Boutique and while it is not couched in scientific terms, it is a good, basic definition of the differences between types of hair. Finehairs, take note that our hair usually is missing the central medulla that other hairtypes have. This means each individual hair is smaller in circumference than the other types. It does make for some killer silkiness and gorgeous shine. Enjoy your type, friends! Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

If anyone has other links to add on the science of hairtypes, please post them...

Fine hair has the smallest circumference. Fine hair can be so soft and silky that it can actually feel like feathers. Unless it has been chemically altered to damage the cuticle, fine hair reflects light the best of the three textures. When it is healthy, fine hair will often have a natural megawatt shine. Fine hair generally has a much thinner cortex than other hair textures and generally does not contain the inner medulla like other hair textures. Usually only the cortex and cuticle are present in fine hair which adds to it fragility.

Medium hair is the most common type of texture. Medium textured hair is neither super soft nor rough to the touch. Medium hair has lots of body and bounce and usually holds either a blow-dry shape or any type of set very well. It has the most styling flexibility of the three types. Although most medium textured hair usually contains the medulla, cortex and cuticle structural layers, there are exceptions.

Coarse hair has the largest circumference. Coarse hair can feel heavy and rough. Exceptionally coarse hair may feel a little like horse hair to the touch. The outside layers of coarse hair are often overlapped at the scales and raised from the shaft. It holds many styles with ease but can look wild and bushy with the wrong cut or style. It almost always contains three distinct layers known as the medulla, cortex and cuticle.

Wiry Hair which has a very hard, glassy finish as a result of the way that the cuticle scales lie flat against the hair shaft. Wiry hair can also be coarse, medium or fine and usually contains all three structural layers."- MemSahib, 2008, Post #1- The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards t=7362

Last edited:

LunadeMiel

Re: Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Hai

My hair is coarse but does not hold curls easily.

tatiana

Re: Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Hai

My hair is fine.
Fine does not mean thin hair.
Yes, the individual strand size makes a difference in product.
Fine hair needs more protein due to its missing medulla.
Also my hair is almost always soft but that does not mean it is not dry; it can be soft and dry. It is hard with this forum at times because people always talking about how a product makes their hair soft but I know softness does not mean moisturized.

Janet'

LunadeMiel are you associating coarse with thick? Because I definitely think that you have THICK hair, but would you say that your individual strands are coarse?

Janet'

My hair is fine.
Fine does not mean thin hair.
Yes, the individual strand size makes a difference in product.
Fine hair needs more protein due to its missing medulla.
Also my hair is almost always soft but that does not mean it is not dry; it can be soft and dry. It is hard with this forum at times because people always talking about how a product makes their hair soft but I know softness does not mean moisturized.

Good point tatiana...thin and thick refer to density, but I think sometimes we (haircare forums) use fine/thin and coarse/thick interchangeably when really, they are referring to two different aspects...

Carisa

Coarse hair here

Bigmommah

Thank you so much for sharing this. Knowledge is power.

***HUGS***

sungtongs

I think I have fine and wiry hair depending on what part of my scalp you're looking at.

LunadeMiel

LunadeMiel are you associating coarse with thick? Because I definitely think that you have THICK hair, but would you say that your individual strands are coarse?

Janet' my hair is coarse and thick/dense. My strands and though and hard to break.

classychic1908

My strands are (individually thick) coarse, and I think I have medium to medium thick density... but my hair is not indestructible like some people associate with coarse strands.

Protective styling has been one of the most important tools for my retention.
Weighing my hair down with too much product is very hard for me to accomplish.
My hair loves heavy water based or creamy products. Oils (except castor on very damp hair) seem to make my hair oily and dry.

I'm curious to see if I have anything in common with other coarse haired girls...

Last edited:

Qtee

Good point @tatiana...thin and thick refer to density, but I think sometimes we (haircare forums) use fine/thin and coarse/thick interchangeably when really, they are referring to two different aspects...
I thought thick and coarse was interchangeable..IDK...my hair is thick (well my individual strands are thick..like needle thread)..I always define it as coarse..but maybe I dont what coarse hair really is..whats is coarse hair then?..and what does wiry hair look like? Sorry for all the questions, but I have always wanted to know..

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I have medium strands and medium density but I don't take other people's hair type or texture into consideration. I just try products based on ingredients. My hair likes spray leave-ins, creamy leave ins that I make, oils, and grease.

Last edited:

Janet'

Qtee...It is my understanding (and I am by NO means a expert at this) that fine, medium, coarse, all refer to the strand itself...thick, thin, and medium refer to the density (meaning the number of hair follicles on your head within a given area)...So, I guess technically, a person could be a coarse, thick-haired person, but conversely, you could be a coarse, thin haired person also...Pics would be great!

Ladies, feel free to post pics as examples...

prettybyrd

tatiana, you've described my hair to a T. :) My strands are fine, sometimes I can't feel them individually, but my hair is thick/dense (there's a lot more of it than it looks). Keeping my hair moisturized is a big deal. This combination of fine thick hair leads to more tangles than you can imagine. Protective styles, while a great idea, give me the blues because combing out shed hair takes forever!

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!

Hey, Janet. :wave:

Yes I agree that the texture of the hair strands makes more of a difference when it comes to products than the curl pattern itself. I'll see other 3c/4a girls rave about a certain product, but that product may or may not work for me. It depends on whether or not they have the same thickness of strands that I have, not the curliness of them.

I actually have a mixture of both fine and medium strands, and a mixture of 3c curls and 4a curls. It can be quite a challenge using products because what works for my finer strands / looser curls doesn't necessarily work for my medium (and some coarse) strands / tighter curls, and vice versa. It's a daily battle for me.

The one thing that is constant about my hair is the density: it's low throughout. :sad:

Tiye

Coarse and wirey. I don't think this has anything to do with the weight of the best leave in for you. Thicker doesn't have to mean better or richer, etc., - thickeners sometimes emulsifiers or sometimes only there to make the product easier to use. I've used a variety of leave ins over the years - and their effectiveness depends on the ingredients not the consistency.

Pompous Blue

Natural - 4Z
Fine Strands
Medium Density
Hair does not like protein - Never do hard core protein treatments. Use henna for strength. Will use a reconstructor every 3 - 4 months.
Try and use products based on ingredients.

doobiequeen88

My hair is fine, also weak, trying to gain some thickness and strength. Length will come eventually:/...I hope.

DeenIsFirst

Very interesting. Thanks for the post. I have very fine strands AND thin hair. So that can be a styling challenge. I've found that my hair loves light oils (jojoba) and light leave ins (Knot Today). It doesn't hold a curl easily unless there's a thick product like JBCO in it. Sometimes, it's hard to keep the moisture/protein balance. But Roux Porosity has helped with that. It does have a good amount of shine and it's usually soft. Sorry can't post pics :p

ETA: Oh yeah, I'm a 4b so it's hard to get my hair straight with a flat iron unless I use a lot of heat. And fine hair + lots of heat = splits (for ME).

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Ooh I likey this thread.

My strands are super duper COARSE. I wish coarse and thick were interchangeable. My hair looks thin, because I have low density, but the strands themselves are not thin. My strands are probably 2-3x the size of black thread!

My hair loves creamy leave ins and moisturizers. Spray anything by itself is not gonna do it for my head. As far as DC's the thicker the better, and I have to DC with heat if I really want it to work/penetrate.

My hair is naturally strong, it does not matter if I use protein at all. My hair is resistant to relaxers, and will only process to texlaxed, it would be impossible for me to have bonelaxed hair. The other thing is that I can get away with direct heat 1-2x a week with no setbacks. I used to think all 4a/b's could use direct heat with no problems like me, but now I finally realize it really depends on the size of the strands.

Qtee

naked hair texture.jpgnaked hair3.jpgThanks Janet'..I guess my hair is coarse (cause my strands are thick but medium dense)..these are my naked hair pics..I think my hair is kinda weird..it takes alot to str8en but it holds a style..like I cant do wet braids or twists for a braid or twist out cause it holds to shape too much and I cant get it to look uniform..(if that makes sense)..my hair is pretty strong..I have color and relaxed to the tip(everytime) for years and always had hair longer than SL..My hair laughes @ thin leave ins and I dont use butters cause it leaves my hair weighed down and greasy..My leave in (I make it) is pretty creamy and my hair luvs it...

lovelexi

Even before I relaxed I knew my hair was. I have a lot of hairs on my head but the strands are very fine. When I relax about 8-10mins is all i need for bone straight hair. My hair is sooo light and feathery. I think that knowing your hair texture is very important. With fine hair I noticed that my hair needs even more protein than some of my lhcf relaxed sisters. Also I know not to over do it with hair products because my hair can get weighed down very easily.

ms.blue

I would classify my hair as mostly medium with some areas coarse and other areas fine. I have medium density throughout except for the nape which is low density. My hair also like heavy products such as creams for moisture (I tried using liquid moisturizers and it did nothing without me adding some creams or oils). Right now when I flatiron, I tend to use satin press grease since it gets my hair straighter

Akemi

GREAT thread!!!

This is what I've always believed. That your hair strand size matters more than curl pattern.

My hair is 4a, but mostly fine with medium density. I've noticed that the things that work for other 4a's don't always work for me, but the products that work for other fine-haired ladies regardless of curl pattern work for me.

I think people would be much more successful in choosing products based on strand thickness than curl pattern.

I can never use too much protein, but my hair can be over-moisturized. I'm also realizing that thinner products work very well for me because they don't weigh my hair down. My hair also doesn't like heavy oils and butters.

I love how easily my straightens and how shiny it is. But it's also quite fragile.

sungtongs

^^^sungtongs, do you have a pic...I'm trying to get a visual...

Photo 6.jpg

Janet' I don't have a camera right now, so I can only rely on my webcam. It's not much.

I say wiry because it feels wiry when I touch it all around my edges. It's fine strands elsewhere, but thick in volume?

All of this hair business is confusing.

esi.adokowa

I have coarse, high density hair.
It's highly resistant to both heat and relaxers.

here are some pictures:

close up texture after my last relaxer.
this is the most that my hair has been processed, ever.

after same relaxer, back left quarter

not really sure about the wiry thing.

bludaydreamr

I have mainly fine/medium strands, in the top I have a patch of thick, coarse strands, and very thick dense hair. I can see three different strand sizes in my shed hair. My coarse strands are also jet black in color and the rest of my hair is dark brown. Yes, I do think texture and density can make a difference when choosing products.

My hair is a little bit fine and a little bit medium. Crazy I know. But, it's also a bit thin in the relaxed areas. My new growth is a bit thicker, though.

30something

I read a thread on Long hair community about fine vs coarse hair a while ago The Long Hair Community - Fia's Hair Typing System (numbers/letters in Siggy). About assessing the difference between fine and coarse hair

F - Fine
Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

Also...
I remember someone also saying that you can tell the difference between fine and coarse if you put your hair in between the crack of your thumb. If you feel the hair strand as you pull the hair over/threw the crack of your thumb then its medium to coarse, if you don't feel it is fine.

These are from Long hair community so I don't know how it applies to our hair.