Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Haired?

Janet'

Re: Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Hai

View attachment 99557

Janet' I don't have a camera right now, so I can only rely on my webcam. It's not much.

I say wiry because it feels wiry when I touch it all around my edges. It's fine strands elsewhere, but thick in volume?

All of this hair business is confusing.

Yes, it can be confusing...I'm trying to negotiate my way through this maze myself! Thanks for the pic!

I have coarse, high density hair.
It's highly resistant to both heat and relaxers.

here are some pictures:

close up texture after my last relaxer.
this is the most that my hair has been processed, ever.

after same relaxer, back left quarter

not really sure about the wiry thing.

Thanks for the pictures...I guess I am a visual learner, lol!

Vintageglam

Re: Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Hai

Fine haired girl all the way. Fine strands and fine density. Great thread, my hair definately prefers some products to others i.e. products on the more acidic end of the spectrum.

PJaye

I would categorize my hair as having medium strand thickness with low density. My hair is also very fragile, which makes careful handling and detangling an absolute necessity.

While my hair thrives with creamy conditioners and oils, it reacts very badly to butters, pomades and gels. Most specifically, products that contain high concentrations of petroleum will always cause a pervasive negative reaction, which is why I cannot make use of the so-called cheapie products (that damn Skala…).

taz007

I think that my hair is a cross between coarse and wiry. My hair is the same thickness as thread but it is very hard (rough) and difficult to bend without using a TON of heat. I also have a LOT of hair (very dense).

Last edited:

CaliSoul

My individual hair strands are a mixture of both fine and medium but I have a LOT of Hair.

Like TaraDyan, I often have problems finding the right product for my hair and end up making my own concoctions.

Janet'

taz007, Your hair has really grown, lovely!

taz007

So what are you 4B, coarse/wiry haired ladies using for conditioning? This is my longest stretch (without transitioning) that I have ever done and it is getting very rough. In fact, I just ripped out about 1/4 of hair yesterday 'cause even my widest toothed comb would not detangle the front of my hair. So, I have a 1/4 inch section in the front that is 1/4 long :blush: :nono:

I still LOVE :love2: my Joico but I need a leave in that will just melt the tangles.

empressaja

I have coarse (thick strands) heavy hair and thin or low density(think see my scalp easily)hair. It holds well humidity rarely affects it. My daughter on the other hand has fine light and airy hair that also has low density. I can look at one shed hair strand and one of mine and mine looks like a brush bristle in comparison. The hair around my hairline and in the nape is less coarse than the rest of my hair. As a natural my hair was much harder to sofen because it had a fake feeling to it if that makes any sense. As a relaxed head my hair requires very little work, product or heat. I think hair strands characteristics are very important to be aware of in regards to hair Thanks OP!

Last edited:

davisbr88

I have fine strands and low density all around except for my crown, which is fine but is medium density, I believe.

Ms. Martina

I'm confused on this. I'm still trying to figure out what fine hair is. Most people who describe their hair as fine normally have what I would consider to be thin hair. Case in point..."bonnet girl's" mom. She kept calling her mom's hair fine, but it just looked like her mom had thin hair to me...idk. I know my hair is extra thick...but I don't know if it is medium, coarse, or wiry. Off to google some images for comparison!

stelladata

This is very important information and if chances are that hair texture as opposed to hair type influences how some products work that might REALLY change the game especially for the hair type theory. I hated classifying my hair when I first started out but I eventually succumbed as most of us usually do to hairpeer pressure -.- lol.

Anyway, now, being that my hair is relaxed I find that some products i once used while natural my hair seems to still love 10 times better or just hate entirely. I know for a fact that i cannot apply excess olive oil or coconut oil as I would when I natural because my hair will appear greased up and stringy. I am not sure if that makes sense but it would be nice to see if any other relaxed hair ladies can cosign or not.. with that.

A lot of people would ask me if I can use the same products I used while I was natural and my response was usually "why not?" I stick to the same staples; suave conditioners or vo5 conditioners, unless I run out ,amla treatments and a minute amount of olive oil or coconut oil.

Anyway, back to your question-I completely went off track, sorry- when i started my natural hair journey though I hated the categorization of 'hair types' and thought it was retarded I would still try to find out what others with my hair type were using... some of the products were a hit.. others a miss. I think it depends on hair texture too. But then again doesnt texture constitute or determine hair type?

Janet'

stelladata, I think that hair type refers to the curl circumference only (ie., chalk-sized curls, pencil-sized coils, etc). Hair type does NOT take into consideration the texture (ie., fine, medium, coarse).

tatiana

prettybyrd my hair is fine and thin but I have problems with the moisture level and protective styling. Twists give me tangles when I take them out. Braids with extensions took out my hair regardless of taken good care of my hair. The only protective styling my hair likes is French twist using hair sticks with the front out. Pulling all of my hair back for more than two days is a no-no for my edges. In fact my hair does not like being in the same style long.

Janet' The problem with black hair care is for the longest people always thought the all black women have thick and coarse hair. All of our hair needs to be styled the same way. All of our hair responds to product the same and that is not true. Fine, Medium, and Coarse hair has different needs. Pantene has figured that out for "Mainstream" thus the Fine Conditioner, Med.-Thick conditioner, why have we not figured that out yet?

Janet'

^^^I totally agree!!!

ms.blue

Ms. Martina, you can have fine hair and a lot of density or thick hair and low density. My sister has fine hair but heavy density which make her hair appear thick. Hair density and hair strand thickness are two separate things.

Last edited:

DeenIsFirst

tatiana, So true! I see a lot of products geared towards curly/coarse hair. And I'm looking at it like, I know I'm a 4b but this won't work for me. Curly and coarse are not one in the same. I often hear our hair described as coarse and I wonder if people realize how much variety there can be in one hair type.

thehairmaverick

I'm majority medium strands and medium density, but I have some wiry-high density strands in the crown area.

UrbainChic

My hair is SUPER thick, with fine to medium strands.

Even when my hair was relaxed, I still could divide my hair into 2 or 3 and have enough hair to cover my head without having sparseness or bald spots.

No matter where i go to to do my hair, they always comment how much hair I have. The last time I was at a salon at Aveda, my colorist had to tell a client to come back in an hour, because he forgot that I have more hair than the average person, and need twice as much time. :nono: He kept telling me its not my fault, and that he usually knows to book me for extra time.

I used to think my strands were coarse, but I have been corrected numerous time by hair stylists, ( I figure they know since they are up in everyones hair all day, and have a much wider sample size than i do to feel and touch all kinds of hair)

Also after some time with coarse East Asian hair, I realize the stylists are right, my hair is on the finer side. Many East Asians hairs are so coarse that when their hair is short they get the "asian afro" it does not bend despite being several inches long because the strands are too thick to turn downwards.

Last edited:

1QTPie

Elder Sim

Fine - medium strands. Medium density overall. Very light weight and feathery.

Fine 4s

I'm fine...hence Fine 4s

MissMusic

thick and coarse here

this video is air dried hair
YouTube - Style #9: Double French Braid

My hair can take heavy amounts of heat just fine
I need creams or butters for moisture, my hair just laughs at light moisturizers (which can be frustrating)
I almost never blow dry because my hair just turns into a huge mass that I have no idea what to do with
I have discovered that bone or hard rubber combs are best for my hair because combs that have give in them tend to cause more tangles because they do not completely detangle
My hair holds styles well, my air dried hair can look frizzy, but its just coarse
I do not go to salons often because most stylists do not know what to do with my hair type or they just complain because my hair takes work

I don't know what else to say, quesitons? lol

bride91501

This may sound like a dumb question, so I apologize in advance lol....

But how do I know if my hair strands are fine, medium or coarse? I saw the post on page 1 or 2 of this thread that was taken from LHF, but I don't think much of it applies to our hair.

Most of my hair is 4b and is very thick, especially at the crown. This hair is kinky and resilent; it can take alot of manipulation. I've recently discovered as my hair is growing out that the hair at my nape is curly, possibly 3c, and feels very thin and fragile, as if it is still relaxed or like it will easily break. I'm pretty sure this hair is considered "fine"- does that sound right? The curls and texture of my hair change from my nape moving toward my crown, becoming more dense feeling and looking. It's the rest of my hair that's hard for me to categorize, because while I know it's "thick" (i.e. very dense), I don't know if the individual strands are coarse or medium because I don't have anything to compare them to lol.

Other possibly helpful info: I'm learning that my hair probably prefers a heavier cream-based moisturizer, and, especially this time of year, HEAVY butters or oils. The majority of my hair laughs at a giovanni-type of leave in conditioner, or jojoba oil to seal- those do NOTHING for me as they're WAY too light for my hair.

Any help would be appreciated :)

RubyWoo

The strands of my hair are medium and the density of my hair is also medium. I absoutley believe that strand size is the best indicator on how a product or technique will perform on one's hair. I don't believe hair type has anything to do with it. My hair is pretty agreeable to most products. I can get away with moisturizing my hair every other day and deep condition every 2 weeks. My hair still remains soft and I still retain length. My hair cannot handle too much moisture as it can go into to moisture overload easily(it has happened). Ex. I cannot do the baggy method. The only time I've deep conditioned over night without overmoisturized hair is when I used too much protien. My hair also cannot handle too much protien (only a light protien every 6 weeks or so) as it can get into overload really easily. Most of the products I used on my relaxed hair still work really well on my natural hair (some perform even better). My hair also loves oils.

My mother and I both have 4b hair (she is relaxed). Her hair hair strands are very thick and wiry. She doesn't do protien treatments because she doesn't need them. Her hair needs and thrives off moisture. Her is also very resistant so she usually uses a super strength relaxer. The one time she used a regular strength relaxer (what I used to use), her became very damaged. It was due to improper use but that's because she had to leave it on for a long time process. Even after she washed it out, it still was very underprocessed. She also used to use permanent color and relaxer and her hair still did relatively well. She can also handle heat with out major problems. Her major challenge is just keeping her hair moist.

So based on observing the needs of my mother and I(same hairtype but different strand size), I believe more than ever that strand size is what we should be observing when learning what works best with you hair.

Great thread OP:)!

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

I am relaxed and I have a combination of fine, med and course strands, the majority of my hair strands are med. I have high density especiall in the back. My hair gets weighed down easily so, this is why I dont m&S everyday or else it will start breaking from all the moisture, even when I was natural.

taz007 Try Taalijah waajid Protective mist bodifier. I use it 2x a week on my NG, however I dont comb the NG on the 2nd time applying, I only comb the relaxed hair. This spray helps to keep the hair moisturized and it helps keep the strands from twisting around each other. It is the best I have come about so far.

Moopeh

I have lots of fine strands. I thought my hair was thin, But when I fluff it up it looks HUGE and thick. And when I have braids, they're not thick but there's a lot of them. I think there's hair on my head now that I'm a stressball (makes your hair shed).

When I would straighten my hair or when it was texlaxed it would swing and move just by me walking fast. If I got my hair straight with very little product it in, swing was no problem. Even my texlaxed wash and gos had lots of movement. .This guy would go 'how do you get your hair to billow when you walk?. Lots of fine strands. This is the great thing about fine strands. Much easier to straighten. However it's important to use heat protectant and keep it at most 375 degrees, heat damage happens easily.

My hair becomes over moisturized very easily and loves oils. (a lot of light oils all over (avocado, jojoba..) or a bit of heavier oils for smoothing) They daily spray and seal method is TOO MUCH for my hair. Jerry Juice every day OVER moisturized my hair. I only use light protein treatments when it gets over moisturized. The hardcore stuff made my hair snap

The best bet I find, is daily application of a light moisturizing cream, and light oils or a whipped shea butter when you feel it's moist but fragile. And a weekly wash and DC. My fine strands get buildup easily. A weekly wash is important. I don't use heat when I DC, and only do it for 30 mins.

Less is more for fine strands. You can easily get it to be shinny with lots of movement.

I also get SSK very easily. I loved my WnGs but they killed my ends (they will be gone this week *sigh*) It's very important to stretch fine strands while drying or else its SO hard to retain length. Banding, rollersets, twists. Just stretch it out.

I know a lot of people with fine strands henna. I'll be trying that as soon as my package arrived. Last time I hennaed it kept my bleached and fried hair from breaking off anymore. It didn't heal the splits, but it stopped breaking off. We'll see how it goes with my healthy new growth.

Last edited:

aa9746

I have fine and medium strands.

nikolite

My strands are fine, but I suspect that I may have thick density of hair. I used to think I had thin hair when I really just had fine strands. I normally don't use a lot of product and I only moisturize and seal twice a week. My hair is easy to manipulate and lays down/straightens very easily (but is crazy porous and gets frizzy quick).

I'm an avid henna and protein user which has helped a ton. It barely even looks like my hair after I henna--its much thicker, tougher, and tangibly more coarse, which I love. I wish I could have coarse hair naturally.

diadall

My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it.