Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Haired?

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Re: Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Hai

I think I have medium to fine strands and medium density.

Missjae09

Re: Naturals and Relaxed...Do You Consider Yourself Fine, Medium, Coarse, or Wiry Hai

I think that coarse and wirey does have something to do with the weight of your leave in. if you hair is fine you would want a lighter leave in where as those with coarse, wiry, and medium strands would need something heavier as far as consistency is concerned. Effectiveness is a separate topic that you could consider and that's where ingredients would come in to play.

Coarse and wirey. I don't think this has anything to do with the weight of the best leave in for you. Thicker doesn't have to mean better or richer, etc., - thickeners sometimes emulsifiers or sometimes only there to make the product easier to use. I've used a variety of leave ins over the years - and their effectiveness depends on the ingredients not the consistency.

Junebug D

Mostly medium strands, next to no density. :cry2: I agree that strand size would play more of a role in product response in regards to conditioners, leave-ins, oils, etc.

Mrs. Verde

I think my hair is fine. I'm not sure.

SheenaVee

I think my strands are a mixture of fine and medium. The density of my hair is also medium, I guess?

BEAUTYU2U

Fine. I'm a 4A but my hair has always been "wispy." I do best with layering creamy leave-ins as opposed to seeking heavier products. It will just sit on my hair and do nothing. I have medium density, overall.

jupitermoon

Janet', great thread.

My hair is coarse meaning that the diameter of each strand is thick. I've noticed that the amount of coarseness varies though. The strands in the back of my head and on the crown tend to be the thickest/coarsest but all of my strands are thick. If you roll your hand up and down one of my individual strands you can actually hear it. They are coarse. My hair is thick meaning that I have a lot of it.

My thick and coarse hair loves heavy conditioners and it's hard to weigh my hair down. Gels, relaxers, dyes, and other chemicals dry my hair out terribly leading to lots of splits and it doesn't matter how much deep conditioning I do. The chemicals and gels just dry it out. My hair loves the heavy conditioners and EVOO and I can leave this in my hair with no problems. It handles high heat pretty well and reverts back just fine but I notice too much heat leads to dryness too. Too much protein will dry it out too and it's hard, if not impossible, to over condition my hair. Highly moisturizing products are best for my hair.

I used to really hate having coarse hair but it has it's benefits. Coarse hair tends to be dry but if you can find a way to keep it moisturized then it is quite strong and is able to retain length easily. Well, this is what I've noticed with my hair.... Conditioner is the best moisturizer for my hair.

My natural and straightened hair feels smooth but has a "hardness" to it. It's easy to feel and even see individual strands of my hair. You can see the individual strands in this picture:

My hair doesn't feel downy and fine but smooth and "hard". I see so many silky straight hair pics on this site and on Fotki but my hair doesn't have that. It has a hardness to it and it's on the heavy side. My wet hair is so heavy that it hurts to wear it up. My hair is probably best described as wire not silk, lol.

This is a fun thread. It's interesting seeing how others' hair behaves.

RoundEyedGirl504

I have fine hair, an individual strand is barely visible. But I have a lot of fine strands though.

Janet'

Great responses ladies...Keep em coming...CelinaStarr :notworthy: :notworthy:

jupitermoon

Janet', your hair is very wonderful too. This is a great thread. I can't wait to see more responses.

Nasdaq_Diva

I used to believe my hair was coarse, but I dont' think that's an accurate description. I do however have alot of stylists tell me my hair is DENSE! All I know is, I have A LOT of hair.

Anyone else have dense hair?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.

i definitely have fine strands. and low to medium density. bah. i want more hurr on mah head!! :(

Missjae09

Bonnet's mom is an example of Fine and Thin

I'm confused on this. I'm still trying to figure out what fine hair is. Most people who describe their hair as fine normally have what I would consider to be thin hair. Case in point..."bonnet girl's" mom. She kept calling her mom's hair fine, but it just looked like her mom had thin hair to me...idk. I know my hair is extra thick...but I don't know if it is medium, coarse, or wiry. Off to google some images for comparison!

Janet'

Janet', your hair is very wonderful too. This is a great thread. I can't wait to see more responses.

Coming from you CelinaStarr- WOW...you are one of my Hair Idols!

I used to believe my hair was coarse, but I dont' think that's an accurate description. I do however have alot of stylists tell me my hair is DENSE! All I know is, I have A LOT of hair.

Anyone else have dense hair?

:raises hand: ME!!! :yep: I would definitely say that my hair is dense...which I take to mean, thick...These are pics of my failed "twistout" attempt- I finally figured out the product had so much to do with it, but notice how my hair looked- just dense!

BKT and Big Hair 004.jpgBKT and Big Hair 005.jpgBKT and Big Hair 006.jpgNatural Hair 040.jpgCornrows Braidout 004.jpg

Bonnet's mom is an example of Fine and Thin

Bonnet Lady's mom, bless her heart...is definitely an example of "fine" and "thin"...Is that what is considered to be "good" hair?:look:

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE

I have coarse wiry hair. My individual strands are thick like wire and feel rough to the touch. My density is thick, I have a lot of hair on my head. My hair does not really like oils as the oils tend to just sit on top my hair, I guess because of it's wiry texture. i want to say my hair likes thick and creamy but I am not sure yet, I just know my hair does not ever feel soft, straight or kinky, but does not mean it is not moisturized.

Artemis

Fine to Medium, wiry (but still fine/med) in the crown
Density: medium

When I used to get relaxers, some of my hair would go bone straight with a mild within 8 minutes or less, and other parts were texturized only. The wiryness of those strands made them resistant enough to require a regular strength, but they were still fine. My relaxed hair responds well to a high protein regimen, but my natural hair does better with equal amounts of protein and moisture (still more protein than a coarse hair).

Rule of thumb for density (based on Fia hairtyping system): put as much of your hair as possible into a ponytail (high or low depending on length of hair). The circumference of the ponytail can tell you your density.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

For strand size: take a regular ball-point pen and draw a straight line on a piece of paper. If your hair strand is smaller than the line, the hair is fine. If the strand is larger than the line, it is coarse. If the strand and the line are of similar thickness, the hair is medium. Wiry can be fine medium or coarse.

Last edited:

omegachick31

I consider my hair course or curse....whatever you fancy....but I have been researching this theory a lot lately and I agree hair texture trumps hair type in product choice but beyond that I also think porosity plays a huge role along with hair texture. I have realized that I have low porosity hair which theoretical would suggest that my cuticles are already closed fairly well...too well in fact which inhibits moisture from entering and escaping easily....and since cuticles are affected by pH it would seem that using products with lower pH may either be futile or even inhibiting if not used with a corresponding product that may be slightly akaline in order to raise the cuticle and then follow with a acidic product to smooth. Case and point...I used Kimmaytube's leave-in and although its quite a good detangler for me I didn't find it to be considerably moisturizing but I believe the people with higher porosity hair probably found it quite pleasing because it helped smooth their cuticles where mine are naturally closed so it just kinda sits on my hair until it evaporates/dries not leaving my hair feeling any more moisturized than any other product.

I mean when you think about it a person with type 3/4, course, high porosity hair and a person with type3/4, fine, low porsoity hair probably should probably be approaching their regimen and products quite differently even if their hair visually appears the same. One would think a finer strand of hair would probably hold less liquid than a course strand...try to visualize a coffee stirrer vs a drinking straw... you would not want to drink a milkshake (thick conditioner) with a coffee stirrer but it would be quite suitable for a drinking straw..but when you throw in porosity (think windows all over the straw that are either mostly open or shut) which monitors if the moisture is going to stay in or leak out and trying to figure out how to open the windows when you need them open and close them when you don't...I'm thinking the whole hair twin thing should be less focused on visual comparisons i.e. type, but a different set of qualitative comparisons (texture and porosity).....

I am currently in the process of trying to figure out how I'm going to test my little hypothesis...okay I will stop rambling

ETA: Great Thread!:yep:

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B

Thank you for this thread @Janet'. I've been following this thread and this post is the practical test I was looking for...@Artemis ...I now know for sure that my hair is fine and thin (so I thought, but wasn't sure).

When I used to get relaxers, some of my hair would go bone straight with a mild within 8 minutes or less, and other parts were texturized only. The wiryness of those strands made them resistant enough to require a regular strength, but they were still fine. My relaxed hair responds well to a high protein regimen, but my natural hair does better with equal amounts of protein and moisture (still more protein than a coarse hair).

Rule of thumb for density (based on Fia hairtyping system): put as much of your hair as possible into a ponytail (high or low depending on length of hair). The circumference of the ponytail can tell you your density.

For strand size: take a regular ball-point pen and draw a straight line on a piece of paper. If your hair strand is smaller than the line, the hair is fine. If the strand is larger than the line, it is coarse. If the strand and the line are of similar thickness, the hair is medium. Wiry can be fine medium or coarse.

Last edited:

Janet'

Artemis...thank you for bringing this information out! Very practical and useful!

discodumpling

Natural, fine, thin & wiry at shorter lengths. My hair does best when I keep my product usage to a minimum. My hair is VERY fragile, tangles easily, & will break if i'm not on top of my moisture, protein balance. I do well with small amounts of non-animal proteins in my products.

CaliDiamond

A mix of fine and medium. I wish I was wiry haired so my hair could hold styles longer/better.

nzeee

I used to assume my hair was thick because i can't get my hair to lay flat in the front when in a puff or ponytail, the way i see a lot of other people do their hair. i'm constantly jealous of the nice sleek front that puffs out dramatically in the back (i know i can use a scarf and sometimes i do but it's not the same, i always have a fluffy hump in the front).

but after seeing all the other women claiming thick hair, i've seriously had to rethink my classification since my hair doesn't seem half as thick as theirs and now i'm slightly confused.

this is what i know:
- even grazing shoulder length (stretched), getting my hair into one is a feat only accomplished on very stretched hair (does this mean my hair is thick?)
- most of my hair seems regular/medium, 1b colour but about 35% of it is jet black, coarse, and very unhair looking (does this mean those strands are wiry?)
- like janet, my hair laughs at braid outs and the like... (i dunno what this means for texture but i thought med/coarse hair was supposed to hold form well?)
- my hair is often dry so i'm always on a constant quest for moisture. i did the porosity test of placing a strand in a bowl of water to see if it would sink and even a day later, no sinkage... so uhm i don't think my hair is porous. (but the lack of moisture points to coarse hair, no?)

so clearly i'm a little confused. the best i can say for now is that i may have med/coarse hair with medium density...

if anyone can help a girl out w/ my questions above i'd really appreciate it :eek:)

ETA pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Solitude

My hair is both fine & thick. See siggy.

Goombay_Summer

My hair is fine, very fragile, and tangles at a drop of a hat. However, I have medium/high density which deceptively gives me the appearance of having thick hair.

ladylo

This is a very informative thread. Thanks Janet!

I believe my hair is mostly medium with some very fine hairs mixed in. Some strands feel soft and some feel wiry, especially in the crown. Those strands are less flexible and more resistant to products and styling. I do have thick (density) hair. Doesn't seem to like high heat (gets crispy and splits) or sometimes even low heat/low speed from the blowdryer will be a problem if I don't stop before 100% dry. It also tangles very easily. I believe that this is because it is likely porous as well. It loves water, creams, whipped butters, and heavy oils (castor, avocado, wheat germ). Lighter oils like Jojoba and EVOO and light leave-ins like Knot Today do nothing for my hair unless I mix them or seal with something much heavier. I am still looking for a moisture /protein balance but so far moderate amounts of protein seem ok. My hair feels soft when moisturized.

ITA that strand size and porosity are really important determinants as to how your hair reacts to different products. But do you think that your curl pattern (or lack thereof in the case of 4b's) is also a determining factor in how much breakage you get during manipulation? I'm curious because I read on the Natural Haven blog that kinky and tightly curly hair strands are weakest at the points where the sharp bends are because the cuticle cannot lie flat there.
Love this thread please keep the responses coming.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B

Definately fine!

Janet'

@nzeee hopefully the knowledgeable ladies will chime in!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched

I definitely have coarse strands.