Naturals: How long does it take for you to detangle your hair?

FtrDrO

......because it takes me at least an hour! I know some people have figured out how to cut down on the detangling process but this is the best that I can do. So ladies,
How long does it take for you to detangle?
How do you detangle?
What's your hair type and current length?
Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time?

FtrDrO

I'll start

For me, it takes me about an hour after shampooing.

How do you detangle?
I shampoo in sections, deep condition w/ pantene time renewal mask and then detangle in sections under running water with one of those wide tooth combs that are for thick hair (with the staggered teeth), applying a cheapie conditioner as needed. After thoroughly detangling, I apply a little more conditioner and then i braid up the section.

My texture is 4a/b (mainly very coily 4a ie. mostly penspring and smaller coils) and I'm currently between shoulder and armpit stretched.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time?
Detangling in sections has saved me time as compared to the past and using tons of conditioner, and prepooing with oils & conditioners have helped. But I know this process could still be shorter.

PPGbubbles

About 30 to 40 mins less if my hair has been recently detangled and maintained in a strectched hairstyle.

How do you detangle?

Use a product with slip. I like Aussie Moist condish and Lekair Cholesterol 4 detangling I use my fingers to separate and asses how tangled my hair is then use a wide tooth comb.

I then rinse that same section section spray with aphogee green tea keratin spray and use a smaller/fine tooth comb to gently smooth hair and stretch hair as well (I do not see any extra breakage in this step)

4a/b according to Andre
about APL in the back, past SL/colloarbone on sides, shorter in my crown

I wash and condition in 10 plaits the plaits keep my hair from shrinking and coiling up wich cuts down on detangling.

when I wash without plaits it can take up to 2 hours for me to detangle without ripping out my hair! (I try to aviod this at all costs) it is worth the extra time to braid up my hair b4 washes because it saves me time. And I can convieniently airdry in my plaits

FtrDrO

About 30 to 40 mins less if my hair has been recently detangled and maintained in a strectched hairstyle.

How do you detangle?

Use a product with slip. I like Aussie Moist condish and Lekair Cholesterol 4 detangling I use my fingers to separate and asses how tangled my hair is then use a wide tooth comb.

I then rinse that same section section spray with aphogee green tea keratin spray and use a smaller/fine tooth comb to gently smooth hair and stretch hair as well (I do not see any extra breakage in this step)

4a/b according to Andre
about APL in the back, past SL/colloarbone on sides, shorter in my crown

I wash and condition in 10 plaits the plaits keep my hair from shrinking and coiling up wich cuts down on detangling.

when I wash without plaits it can take up to 2 hours for me to detangle without ripping out my hair! (I try to aviod this at all costs) it is worth the extra time to braid up my hair b4 washes because it saves me time. And I can convieniently airdry in my plaits

At bolded......maybe I should consider increasing the amount of sections I do it in. I currently do about 5 sections. Thanks! Looking forward to more responses!

remnant

30mns to 1 hour
How do you detangle?
I use the crown and glory method with conditionner or self made moisturiser, wide tooth comb, fingers, demnan like brush
What's your hair type and current length? 4b armpit lenght
no it is the best I can do

AvaSpeaks

You know what, now that I wash my hair in sections, it doesn't take me long at all. Like a few minutes at best. Try that.

BeetleBug

How long does it take for you to detangle? 25 min (if my hair is really tangled) or less

How do you detangle? I divide my hair into 4 sections then I wet it and slather it w/ conditioner. After that, I take my wide-toothed comb and get to work

What's your hair type and current length? 4a/b(mostly 4a) Longest layer is apl

Nope, just my Suave conditioners

eta: I detangle at least once every two weeks

Last edited:

Nonie

I usually do not have to detangle because I do not let my hair tangle in the first place. Even when I was wearing it out and letting it shrink to this puff

...I would have taken it out of big square plaits that were baggied for the night with S Curl applied...and so the hair would comb with ease and shrink up a seen. At night I'd use my pick to separate it into big square sections and plait them for the night.

I only ever washed my hair when it was in twists. My hair in twists is completely detangled. You can sort of see how the strands separate with ease when the hair unravels. I think it's coz I stretch it and twirl each section before crossing them over that helps keep the hair strands parallel and not tangled.

Fine 4s

Anywhere between 40-1hour in the shower under running water...

How do you detangle?
My latest method is to dampen my hair and apply coconut oil to each of my 10+ sections and wait for at least 1 hour. Within that hour, I sit under the hairdryer for about 15 mns for the oil to warm up.
Then, I detangle in the shower under running water and detangle from root to tip or moving up and down the section using a medium size comb. The large bone comb I have is too big so I don't control/use it well. I'd rather use my finger. I'll prefer using it on blowdried straight haire like in my siggy.

I'm in the type 4 family, MBL.

Maybe the oil makes it go faster and it gives me better slip than detangling with my DC as I'm rinsing it out. So, as of now, I'll be pre-poo'ing with oils.

Last edited:

MizzBrit

w long does it take for you to detangle? 35 min average
How do you detangle? sections..about 3-4 sections on each side
What's your hair type and current length? collarbone..im a 4b/a
nope but i know i will need patience and take my time and alot of conditioner to saturate on my hair..mainly thick conditioners with cones..i use tresseemme and HE HE

IrisDaVirus

It takes me about 10 - 15 minutes to detangle. I just section my hair off and detangle each section with a wide tooth comb. Even after shampooing it only takes me 10 to 15 minutes. I'm pretty vigilant about not letting my hair get too hard to detangle and it works out for me very good.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Under 5 minutes. I don't do anything special just use the water from the shower and a very slippery conditioner.

I detangle weird though. I start from the root and let my comb go as far as it can which is not even halfway down, then I do the bottom, then do the tangled ball that has formed in the middle of my top and bottom parts that I've already detangled.

Sweet_Ambrosia

10 minutes or less

How do you detangle?
I wash/detangle my hair in braided sections usually 4 sections, and I use a wide tooth comb starting from the ends on up.

3c/4a--Mid-Back

No special products, I use lots of conditioner when I detangle (vo5 or suave humectant), but it's more about technique for me. I don't allow my hair to fully shrink all the time and I always keep it semi-stretched via large braids/twists which helps to keep any tangles at bay.

discodumpling

How long does it take for you to detangle? 10-20 minutes
How do you detangle? My hair is sectioned into 4 & I use a wide tooth then smaller toothed comb & lots of cheapie conditioner.
What's your hair type and current length? Nappy :) just about APL
Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? No. My hair is moisturized as needed with my cocoshealoe mix or just EVOO or coconut oil I beleive these products help with my detangling routine.

As my hair grows i'm finding it easier to detangle. At this moment i'm sitting under a dryer DCing after a detangling session in the shower. I was wearing a twist out for about 5 days with minimal manipulation.

MsBoinglicious

I have gotten it down to about 5-10 minutes on a good day and 10-15 minutes on a bad day.

How do you detangle?
I use a flat pattle brush and saturate my hair with conditioner (parting my hair in two or 4 sections). Then I start from the bottom and work up to the roots. I do this all while under streaming water from the shower head.

My hair type is 3a,3b,3c,4a and hopefully by next month I will have made BSB.

Well I don't manipulate my hair in crazy styles. The more simple the style, the less tangles, the less detangling time.

purplepeace79

......because it takes me at least an hour! I know some people have figured out how to cut down on the detangling process but this is the best that I can do. So ladies,
How do you detangle?

About 15-20 minutes

I finger detangle in the shower. I cowash in big braids and soak with conditioner, then unbraid and finger through, remove shedding, then rebraid. The only time I use combs is when I'm parting my hair or roller setting.

I dont have a lot of density. That is my key. If my hair was thicker, I'd be right there with ya! lol

purplepeace79

It takes me about 10 - 15 minutes to detangle. I just section my hair off and detangle each section with a wide tooth comb. Even after shampooing it only takes me 10 to 15 minutes. I'm pretty vigilant about not letting my hair get too hard to detangle and it works out for me very good.

Right. I'm really focused on wearing styles that stretch. I love love love my texture, but wearing it textured too often leads to knots and tangles. So roller sets, buns, braids, etc. are key to avoiding that.

Second2None

Under 5 minutes. I don't do anything special just use the water from the shower and a very slippery conditioner.

I detangle weird though. I start from the root and let my comb go as far as it can which is not even halfway down, then I do the bottom, then do the tangled ball that has formed in the middle of my top and bottom parts that I've already detangled.

not weird, i do that too.

I'm a 3c4a/b APL stretched and it takes me 5-10 mins, two sections, normal conditioner in the shower, but I also detangle every 1 to 2 days. if i were to do it once a week or longer it would take much longer :nono:

Eluv

2-5 minutes, depending on rather or not I use shampoo.

How do you detangle?
Co-Washing
Prepoo w/warm EVOO
Co-wash and detangle wide tooth comb, maybe 2min
Moisturize and style Hair

Shampooing
Finger detangle (2-5mins) and put hair in 6 large twist
Prepoo w/warm EVOO
Shampoo
Conditioner and EVOO
Moisturized hair, undo twist and style hair

Shoulder length
3c bang/4b crown/4a everywhere else

EVOO with conditioner
Never allow my hair to shrink nor do I sleep with hair in a loose state.

Last edited:

Cali*Rocks

About 15 minutes

How do you detangle?
With a wide tooth comb and then an Aveda paddle brush

I'm not sure my hair type and my length is about ear length

Using TONS of conditioner, specifically Giovanni 50/50 makes it a lot easier to detangle

Truth

How long?
30 or more..

How long is it?
My avatar is my current length

How Do I detangle?
I detangle before the shower now (cuts back on shower time)..So I'll wet my hair with a water (not dripping but a good amount of wetness) apply a DC .. and put into 5 or 6 twist or braids.... Finger comb through for the big tangles.. Go through each section with a wide tooth comb and then maybeeee and I mean MAYBE go through with the denman depending on how I feel.. I usually stop at the wide tooth..and finger comb through it alittle more after... Braid em back up and get ready to shower....

My Type...
Uhh.. it's a in the 4 category, i'm not 2 leary on what specific classification it is anymore.. i have 4a/b however ..who knows what's really cookin up in that ball of frizz

Special products or methods to cut down on time? ..
I WISH

1QTPie

Elder Sim
It depends on how I style my hair.

If I keep my hair stretched it takes 10 minutes maybe. If I wash and go, it can take HOURS, literally. If I do a combination of stretching my hair and maybe a wash and go once or twice during the week then I would say about an hour or so, maybe less.

How do you detangle?

Wet hair, conditioner, fingers, wide tooth comb, small tooth comb.

Hair type is fine, nappy, coily. Length is brastrap.

Keeping my hair in a twist-out or braid out. Basically, keeping it stretched eliminates the need to really detangle when it's time to wash.

Last edited:

adnolej

maybe 10 minutes? maybe less

How do you detangle?
after I wash/cowash, and dc, i put my hair in 4 sections, put some conditioner on the first section, if my hair isn't that tangled, I start at the root and go down and then work out the place that can't make it through the comb. If its really tangled then I start at the ends. I do that for each section, clipping the other sections out of the way, then at the end, I take out all of the clips and rinse my newly detangled hair together.

I suppose 4 a and 4 b, its def. type 4 hair, I'm a little fuzzy on the letters. My hair is shoulder length unstretched so I guess somewhere between shoulder length and apl stretched.

no special product, but after i put conditioner on each section, i rewet that section which gives me good slip unless its a REALLY bad product. What has helped me cut down on time is finger combing in the beginning to loosen some of the tangles and saving the heavy duty detangling for the end. I used to detangle before I dc, but then my hair would get retangled and I would get frustrated.

classychic1908

I rinse my hair apply a mixture of nature's gate jojoba revitalizing condish with a teaspoon of salt to my hair in sections smooth hair and clip up in a plastic cap. Shower, then detangle in sections under the shower stream with my fingers. The tangles melt! It takes me about 15-20 minutes to detangle. My hair is very coily and thick and until I found this method, I was loosing at least a palm full of hair on wash day, now it's maybe a third of that. I've adopted the same for my son who is I guess 4A/3C with some 2 something mixed in. I use aubrey organics white camellia + a teaspoon of salt+ a half teaspoon of acv. I use a denman to detangle his hair.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
How long does it take for you to detangle? I have everything down to a science now. I can detangle in less than 5 minutes (10 minutes on a really bad day if I've gone too long between detangling sessions).

How do you detangle? I shampoo with my Shikakai bar, which seems to "coat" my hair. Then I load up on conditioner (usually Trader Joe's Nourish Spa) and then it is soooooo easy. I think the coating from the Shikakai bar is helping somehow.

What's your hair type and current length? 3c in the front / 4a in the back. The front of my hair detangles in 30 seconds flat; the back of my hair takes a little longer to detangle.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? Honestly, I think my Shikakai bar is key for me. The "coating" somehow makes the Trader Joe conditioner adhere better ... hence more slip ... hence easer detangling. At least that's my theory. :ohwell:

southerncitygirl

15-20 minutes
3c-4a hair type
shower comb and kbb nectar or milk as my leave-in/detangler
i detangle damp hair outside the shower by sectioning in 3-4 sections and diving those sections in subsections which I put in medium sized plaits about 15-20 total(I wear a wig)
I too have noticed that the longer my hair gets the easier it is to care for!

almond eyes

On wash day: 15 minutes with fingers, wide tooth and small comb. Use warm jojoba oil to detangle and as a treatment. Ensure that all conditioner is washed out of hair to prevent matting and tangles.

Day to day: I comb my everyday so when wash day comes not much work when it comes to detangling.

3c/4a/4b SL back of hair and front of hair on chin and crown collarbone.

My hair is never left loose. Hair is braided when shampooed/conditioned and then taken out again after wash to prep for twists with aloe vera juice and olive/honey balm. Hair is always in big twists now that it is approaching winter.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

aegis

it's been taking less and less time for me to detangle bc i keep my hair in a stretched style. otherwise i don't like my hair and what it does. it will take me HOURS.

i can detangle every day and it would take 30 mins. in the shower i am assuming it would take about the same amount of time. i do it in sections and take my time. stretched styles for the win! they have changed my life.

lexiwiththecurls

It takes me about 30 mins to detangle

How do you detangle?

In the shower I separate my hair into 6 sections- the back half is sooo easy, the top half I make 4 sections. I put tons of cheapie conditioner for slip and I use a paddlebrush to comb through from bottom to root. When each section is done, I braid it up. When I am done, I take the braids down and do a comb through all together and rinse out the cheapie condish. Then I put a better conditioner in it all

My hair type is 4a/3c and I am BSL

I wish!! I was hoping yall had some!