Naturals: How long does it take for you to detangle your hair?

Southernbella.

How long does it take for you to detangle? 10-15 minutes

How do you detangle? I brush with my Denman while my hair is wet and has conditioner in it

What's your hair type and current length? type 4, BSL

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? N/A

BostonMaria

How long does it take for you to detangle?
It takes me about 5 minutes.

How do you detangle?
I detangle my hair every day so I never let it matte up. I always detangle with wet hair and use conditioner. I section my hair in two and use a wide tooth comb, then pass the Denman over my hair to make sure I get everything.

What's your hair type and current length?
3b/c and my hair is MBL

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time?

I used Jasmine's avocado silk conditioner. That stuff is no joke! Cuts down my detangling sessions and I love the texture of it.

Sha76

How long does it take for you to detangle? 1 to 1 1/2 hour
How do you detangle? with fingers and denman brush
What's your hair type and current length? idk the type but I guess Iw ould say 4b mostly and shoulder length
you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? Suave conditioner mixed with homemade amla oil

Chin

10 minutes after washing

How do you detangle?
I part my hair into four sections and comb through it with a wide tooth comb and a paddle brush.

I'm a 3C maybe and couple of inches past bra strap length

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time?
Definitely parting the hair into sections and using a wide tooth comb to comb out each sections.

Last edited:

Bene

My hair doesn't really tangle, so maybe less than a minute to get a comb/brush through all of my hair

How do you detangle?
Wet or dry, I do it in sections, start at the ends and work my way up.

3A, about an inch or so from waist.

I've stopped letting my hair tangle. I keep my hair bunned, I use sticks and forks, instead of elastics, to keep it from pulling or snagging or getting caught in the wind, all of these things lead to tangling.

ryanshope

It takes me about 20-30 minutes, maybe. I am 4 a/b necklength stretched(pics in my album) and I have never had a detangling session that was "bad" since going natural. I twist my hair so it stays stretched out and seperated most of the time and I detangle my hair while doing twist. I use Rusk Deep Brillance Shine BioMarine conditioner...it is the TRUTH!! I have stopped using gels for my twist outs(for a while anyway). This conditioner keeps my hair soft, moisturized and my twistouts went from nice to amazing. I wish I could give out samples to every 4a/b on the board.

Lyoness

How long does it take for you to detangle? a few minutes 2-3
How do you detangle? I apply conditioner to my hair, let it sit awhile I then stand under the shower head and comb from the ends to the root.
What's your hair type and current length? I think I'm 3c/4a, apl
Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? detangling my hair wet is easier and quicker than doing it dry, thats the main factor for me.

melodies815

Great thread!!!

It takes me about 10 min to detangle in the shower, head back.
It takes me about 30 min to detangle if I go insane and wash head-forward in the tub.
It takes 2+ hours if I detangle-while-I go on the couch watching TV while styling.

How do you detangle?
98% of the time in the shower under running water when rinsing out shampoo or conditioner. This is what I try to do all the time.

1% in the mirror after washing head-forward in the tub (HORRIBLE to do!!!)

1% of the time on the couch if I fail to do it in the shower. Those times are extremely rare because I am not a glutton for punishment and pain. I think I have done this twice since March...not fun...

My hair type is 4a/b and I am inching towards SL...maybe 2 inches away straightened...a universe away from SL shrunken...

Yes...detangling in the shower under the water...once after shampooing and again after conditioning...Aussie Moist is the best for me so far!!

anon123

......because it takes me at least an hour! I know some people have figured out how to cut down on the detangling process but this is the best that I can do. So ladies,

How long does it take for you to detangle? 90-120 minutes on average
How do you detangle? I have tried too many ways to even count. Every way mentioned in this thread so far + some. They all take 1 1/2 to 3 hours (once a week).
What's your hair type and current length? 4b and bsl
Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut? I use V05, a wide tooth comb, and my fingers, usually. Every now and then I'll use my Goody Add+Shine brush.

Creatividual

I do everything in braided mainly or twisted sections (6-8). I condition, wash, detangle and style my hair this way. It takes me about 10-15 mins tops to detangle. I don't use any special tools, just my fingers and my shower comb. Sometimes I detangle before washing my hair (I condition my hair before washing it) and sometimes I detangle after I've conditioned and washed my hair. I tend to like doing the latter lately.

I have 4a hair that's collar bone length in the back and between ear length and chin length on the sides.

I don't really use traditional conditioners anymore, from time to time I still will. In those instances I like Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner or other times I will mix it with some of my shea frosting (slip is bananas!). I also use other mixes that will include ghee, yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream..... Depends on my mood. I'm a mixtress and luv mixing up my own conditioners.

Usually I just mist on some of my homemade moisturizing mist first, then saturate my hair in a mixture of coconut oil and honey and leave it on under a plastic cap for about 20-30 mins. It's simple, readily available and works every time for me. Not only does it give my hair great slip but lovely shine.:lick:

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

The times I have to detangle is when I'm taking down a fro, it takes me about 30minutes.

How do you detangle?

I start by putting my hair into about 10 braided sections. I may apply some oil like extra virgin olive oil. I drench my hair under the shower spray for a while then I saturate a section with either Aussie Moist Conditioner or Nourishspa Conditioner and carefully and slowly detangle using my wide toothed comb starting from the ends working my way up to the root, once I feel its well detangled I re-braid and move on to the next section until I've completed my whole head.

I'm 4a, thick coarse strands, Mid-Back Length (I need to update my avvie:rolleyes:)

I can eliminate the need to detangle by wearing a stretched style like braid-out or twist out or if I'm washing after wearing a press and flat iron that keeps the hair in a neat detangled state up untill wash day . With those styles all I have to do is put my hair in braided sections wash and condition and style. Without needing the detangling step at all.

Nouvelle

How long does it take for you to detangle? 5-10min.

How do you detangle? I'll either used a Jilbere shower comb or just use my fingers.

What's your hair type and current length? My hair type is somewhat a mixture of three different textures. I think somewhere between a 3c/4a/4b. I'm SL stretched last time I checked. But I'm hoping to take my braids down Monday so that could have changed(I doubt it though).

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? Not really, sometimes I don't even bother detangling at all, doesn't seem to do my hair any harm lol.

werenumber2

How long does it take for you to detangle? Usually 5 minutes. Closer to 10 if my hair is extra tangled.

How do you detangle? I've been finger-combing after washing recently and I really like it. In between washes, I detangle with a wood comb. I detangle with my head upside down with no particular sectioning. I just eyeball it.

What's your hair type and current length? 3b/c, MBL when straight.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? All my detangling conditioners and leave-ins are pretty slippy - GVP Balm, Shescentit Avocado, Shescentit Coconut Creme Leave-in, GVP The Detangler.

softblackcotton

Ok after reading all these replies of 5-30 mins. I know I'm doing something wrong my hair takes on average 2-4 hours to detangle and I still can't get the roots properly detangled!!! Somebody HELP ME! I have really dense, coarse stranded type 4 hair! ANybody?

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
How long does it take for you to detangle? if i do it every day 10mins, every other day 30mins. and the time will just keep getting longer each day you dont do it. if i keep up every day with it, its a short time.

How do you detangle? wide tooth comb, bottom up, or middle down. not on wet hair.

What's your hair type and current length? MBL i dont know what my hair type is, i would love it if one of you ladies could tell me. PLEASE:grin:. what does it look like?

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? NOPE!

Triniwegian

Wow, hours to detangle you hair.
Excuse my ignorance but is that because you have left your hair out in a shrunken fro'?
To me it just seems like a long time, even the looser curled ladies..

For me it takes all of 30 seconds to comb thru with my Jilbere knock-off after I slap it full of conditioner.

chebaby

on wet hair it doesnt take me long at all. if for some reason im detangling dry hair to do a style it takes a little longer. maybe 3 minutes for each section. but on dry hair im detangling big sections.

MrsMe

......because it takes me at least an hour! I know some people have figured out how to cut down on the detangling process but this is the best that I can do. So ladies,
How do you detangle?
My hair is locked now, but when my natural hair was loose it would take me half an hour. I always did it either right in the shower or after rinsing my condish.
In the shower, I used to detangle while I still had the conditioner on my hair, doing it one section at a time. Out of the shower, I would go through the same process except that my hair would be braided during the washing process.
I have 4a hair and before I locked it, I was at SL.
The product that helped me cut down on time was Aubrey Organics' Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. It's super moisturizing!

softblackcotton

Wow, hours to detangle you hair.
Excuse my ignorance but is that because you have left your hair out in a shrunken fro'?
To me it just seems like a long time, even the looser curled ladies..

For me it takes all of 30 seconds to comb thru with my Jilbere knock-off after I slap it full of conditioner.

I don't even leave my hair out I stretch with big two strand twists and I wash it in big plaits. I forgot to add that I only comb my hair after I wearing braids for 2-3 months. :perplexed Maybe that's why it takes FOREVER and is still not done?

Bettina

Ok you are gonna hate my guts but I takes 5 minutes to detangle
How do you detangle?
In the shower with a handful of conditioner
I dunno my hairtype--current length Grazing Shoulder
Giovanni Smooth As Silk and Cowashing in the shower reallly helps me no knots or breakage.

Ms Lala

I keep my hair stretched so it only takes me about 20 minutes. It takes me about 20-30 minutes to wash and detangle my hair in the shower so I don't know exactly how long the detangling alone takes.

Last edited:

Niik

10-15 minutes. 20 tops.

How do you detangle?
i take two handfuls of conditioner and run it through my hair. then i run it under the water for a few seconds. it makes the conditioner 'lather up' for lack of a better word. then i smooth it in/finger comb to stretch my hair out. THEN i use i wide tooth comb.

4a. SL stretched.

running my head under water after applying the conditioner and then smoothing it in is key for me. by the time i pick up my comb i'm already halfway done.

bablou00

How long does it take for you to detangle? about 25-30mins
How do you detangle? I first DC after my hair is out of two strand twist for at least 3-4hrs w/o heat. Then I wash that out and part my hair in four puffs. I take down each puff and load it up with Hello Hydration HE conditioner and rack thru my hair with my fingers. My coils are too small for me to use a brush or comb. Then I wash out the conditioner with cold water if I remember
What's your hair type and current length? Im type 4 and my hair is creepin collarbone length on my sides and back the maybe the top is ear length or just passed them.
Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? __________________
I honestly think for me seperating my hair in sections and lathering on a lot of conditioner and water helps my hair. I dont get a lot of knots since my hair is in twist 95% of the time.

JaszyFaye

I've cut the time down to about 15 minutes because I've gotten to that point where my hair doesn't tangle that much anymore
How do you detangle?
I put conditioner in my hair for slip and I use my both my fingers and my comb to get the knots out
I don't know my hair type but I would say 4a/b/c, I have a whole lot going on that's all I know
I use herbal essence totally twisted conditioner and this conair detangler comb that i got from walmart

Filmatic

1. 10-15. I can't remember longer.

2. I wet hair, split down the middle and slather with condish. I then take my hair and detangle what I can find. Then I do back with the Denman and start at roots to middle then ends.

3. 4a, 3c back- SL stretched

4. Nope but I do think the detangling with my hands makes it go faster. Before I started that it would take forever to get through the forest with just the Denman.

BlackMasterPiece

About 15-20 minutes:yep:

For me the key is braiding my tangled hair in sections, maybe adding a little oil to each section, saturating with super slippy conditioner like Aussie Moist or Nourishspa condish detangling and rebraiding and thats that!:yep:

However if I'm in a pressing phase then there is no detangling required just braid my pressed hair in eight wash condition and get to blowdrying and flat ironing.

Last edited: