Naturals: How long does it take for you to detangle your hair?

FNP-2009

How long does it take for you to detangle?
About 3-5 minutes
How do you detangle?
In shower with conditioner and Denman brush
What's your hair type and current length?
BSL, not sure but some where in the 3's
Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time?
Nope, just put conditioner in, brush and then brush under running water

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
How long does it take for you to detangle? About 30 minutes

How do you detangle? After I shampoo my hair in the shower, I jump out of the shower and section my hair in 6 parts. I then put a DC on each section (I sometimes separate the sections in two parts again just to make sure my entire head is covered in the DC). I then use my ghair comb to detangle, I start at the bottom and work my way up to the roots. After detangling each section I put a bantu knot in it, after I've detangled all sections and put a bantu knot in all of them, I sit under my hair dryer so as you can see I don't necessarily make dcing and detangling two separate affairs.

What's your hair type and current length? My hair type is 4a/b and my current length is APL when stretched.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? Not really but I did find that my hair was easier to detangle after I unraveled my two strand twists.

HTH

Last edited:

Vintageglam

I am transitioning now but when I was natural it would take me prob all of 10 mins. I must state that I have very fine hair....

About 10 minutes

How do you detangle?
Start by pre-pooing hair with oils (i.e. coconut) for added lubrication and then I gently comb through my hair with a wide tooth comb to avoid knots and tangling.

Shampoo hair in sections. Apply DC and sit under steamer (or heating cap). The steamer/ heating cap softens my hair to the point that the tangles just melt away. I personally think the steamer is more effective for tangles.

When I come out from under the steamer/ heating cap I rinse the hair whilst gently running through a wide tooth comb a few times. By this point wide tooth comb is actually gliding through. If you get the right DC this should happen.

4a & 4b. When I was natural I was about shoulder length.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time?

Steamer/ Heat Cap
Good DC (my hairdresser to this day refuses to give up the secret about this DC). I think its called "Jingles" or it maybe her own concoction..... I will continue to quiz her....

:grin:

honeybuni84

Um I'll say it takes somewhere in the 15 mintues realm.. i dont have time to be sitting for hours.
How do you detangle?
once i put my ORS Pak on, it is really heavy and i can start going through sections with the denman brush. after rinsing, i then proceede to make take sections and make 2 strand twists and detangle through each section..

I am in the 4a and i am just about apl
i think never letting my hair get really shrunken, and keeping it either straightened,twistout or braid out keeps tangles to a minimum..

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Approx. 5 minutes

How do you detangle?
I detangle my hair in a few sections with a Goody Ouchless brush while rinsing out conditioner under the waterflow from the showerhead. Then I go through with a rake comb. I make sure my hair is drenched/soaked with water. It makes detangling a breeze.

4a/b Natural and APL

I do not detangle with shampoo in my hair...
I do not detangle with conditioner in my hair...
I only detangle while rinsing out conditioner under the waterflow from the showerhead...
When I get out of the shower, I will style my hair in either 6 two strand twists, flat-twists, or a bun.

silvergirl

i cowash daily so my hair really doesn't get much as of chance to tangle in the first place.
secondly when i co-wash i leave in a bit of the conditioner so that next time i wash as soon as the water touches my hair, instant detangle! my hairs just slide down into place.

after that i just need to use my comb and make sure all the tangles are truly out, taking me about a min or two in total. the longer i wait to wash my hair the longer it takes. which is the other reason why i do my daily rinses.

AfroKink

45mins to 1.5hours

How do you detangle?
I detangle on 'damp' hair I guess. I spritz my hair with African Royale Braid Spray and then use Kinky Curly Knot Today. I work with my fingers from tip to root. I'm going to try switching from the Braid Spray to Pure Aloe Juice though.

4b my hair is in layers, the majority is between shoulder and armpit length now.

Kinky Curly Knot Today helps a lot!

From reading through this thread I think you're missing 2 important factors in your OP questions. How often a person detangles and how they style their hair.

How often do you detangle?
I detangle only when I wash my hair, which is about every 2 weeks. So that 90mins every 2 weeks works out to 7mins a day or 20mins every 3 days, which seems like a more manageable number. That being said, I'd love to get my detangling down to 30-45mins every 2 weeks. That my goal.

How do you style your hair?
I wear my hair in twists or a combination of cornrows and twists. Even with this 'stretched style' my hair loves to shrink and tangle anyways. Sometimes my hair tangles the whole length of the twist and its difficult to take it out. I've been experimenting with Nonie's method, but that brings its own problems and I'm still working on it.

I would love to know how the ladies who detangle on wet hair (washing their hair) multiple times a week style their hair.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Me, too, Nonie...

I plait my hair in four big sections and wash/ condition each section w/ the Denman paddle brush; so, I step out the shower w/ four big plaits. :yep:

I let my hair air dry in those plaits or I blow dry each plait if I'm pressed for time to wear my hair out. Can't wait to put in braids, though.. lol

Nonie;9390058[B said:
]I usually do not have to detangle because I do not let my hair tangle in the first place. E[/B]ven when I was wearing it out and letting it shrink to this puff

...I would have taken it out of big square plaits that were baggied for the night with S Curl applied...and so the hair would comb with ease and shrink up a seen. At night I'd use my pick to separate it into big square sections and plait them for the night.

I only ever washed my hair when it was in twists. My hair in twists is completely detangled. You can sort of see how the strands separate with ease when the hair unravels. I think it's coz I stretch it and twirl each section before crossing them over that helps keep the hair strands parallel and not tangled.

melodies815

I think I may have answered this at another time in another thread...but since my hair has changed a little since then, I will di it again (that rhymed! :yep:)

How long does it take for you to detangle? It depends on so much and the amount of time I have to do my hair.

• If I do it in the shower, 5-7 minutes under running water with conditioner being rinsed out.
  • If I wait to detangle when I get out, about 30 minutes as I twist. Detangling and styling go hand in hand out of the shower.
  • If I am rushing and have to wash and go (RARE!), it can take me 2 hours to get through my hair when I do it later.
  • There are also times when I don't detangle in the shower or later, and I just use fingers to twist and leave well enough alone.

How do you detangle?

• Mostly: Head back in shower with conditioner being rinsed off. Wide toothed shower comb.
  • Occasionally: After shower and conditioning, while twisting on the couch.
  • Rarely: From a puff to twists when hair is dry - maybe twice in all of last year. It was waaaaaayyyyy too much work for no reason at all.

I am a blended 4 and I am approaching SL.

• Great question, and yes!!! I have found that an oil pre-poo is a great help to me both before and after the wash.
  • This last time, I did not concern myself too much with washing out all the oil...and I oiled again during my condition. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! I only had to finger detangle and my hair really was fully detangled with just my fingers.
  • Low mani, and I loved it!!! I can retain better, I think, if I keep this practice in my regimen.

cj

again

SohoHair

10-15 minutes at the very most. I detangle only with my fingers in the shower as I'm applying conditioner. I rake the conditioner gently through in sections working my way from the front to back. Afterwards when I am rinsing I run my fingers through to make sure all the tangles are out.

I detangle every time I wash which can be anywhere from 3-7 days (a little longer between washings in the winter). I am most 4a with some 3c, use only natural products and am over 2 years post relaxer

PrincessLinzz

5 minutes using a wide tooth comb

How do you detangle? After my co-wash. I wash my hair in the sink, I hate washing my hair in the shower, hate wet hair on my back. But I digress, under a running faucet with my hair flipped foward covering my face. I leave some of the conditioner in and water.

What's your hair type and current length? No idea on both questions, but its past my bra.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? Yesterday I DCed with Alter Ego garlic and rinsed my hair and combed simultaneously. I lost about 5-10 strands of hair, for the first time in months! So I guess that thing works.

Also I used a lot of coconut oil on my hair for my daily twistsouts so I guess its already somewhat straight.

Hope this helps.

BrownEyez22

How long does it take for you to detangle? Like 10-15 mins or less.

How do you detangle? Start from the bottom with a wide tooth shower comb and work in sections. I might detangle with my hands first, might not.

What's your hair type and current length? Type 4a/b, shoulder in the back, chin on the sides. My hair is somewhat soft/fine though.

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? I use conditioner or a detangling leave in. I think not wearing shrunken styles helps.

ToyToy

How long does it take for you to detangle? I'd say about 15-20 minutes.

How do you detangle? I detangle on towel-dried hair with a jilbere shower comb. After blowdrying, I go over my hair again with a detangling brush. But that is usually a breeze.

What's your hair type and current length? I have natural 4a/b hair, shoulder length (I think...it's usually in braids for 6 weeks at a time)

Do you have a special product or special method that has helped you cut down on time? No, not really. I'm extremely low maintenance when it comes to hair and have never liked spending more time than necessary. Maybe it is that impatience that helps my hair detangle more quickly ;).