Naturals: How Often Do You Visit a Hair Stylists

How often do you visit a natural hair stylist?

• Every week

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Every two weeks

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Every month

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Every two months

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Every three months

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Every four to six months

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Once a year

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • I'm natural, but I've never been to a natural hair stylist

Votes: 92 58.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

I know that many natural ladies visit hair stylists to straighten/ style their hair.

If you are one of them, how often do you go to a stylist, and what type of services/ styles do you get?

longfroinghair

I'm natural but I wear my hair straight pretty much all the time. My natural stylist always charges me at least $65.00 to straighten cause she says it's still 'virgin hair' (i guess she means, not heat trained yet) cause when I wash it, it reverts right back. Paying that kind of money every 2 weeks got costly. She also wanted to trim my hair every two weeks as well, and the last couple times, she refused to use a heat protectant/oil/serum or anything to straighten with!! So After a couple months, I just started to do my hair myself. Now I can wash and straighten every week...and all it costs me is my fhi iron and my chi blowdryer...one time payment :yep:

I went to her for twists, but my hair was not as long as I liked it, so I haven't gotten twists yet, maybe in another year or so, when it's longer.

I voted every 3 months. More like every 3-6 months, I basically just go when I want a trim.

greenandchic

I've only been to a stylist once in 8 years for a trim and it was well worth it. I don't think I'm going back anytime soon. Maybe in the spring if I see some length retention.

Reminiscing

I voted every 2 months. I go when I want a flat twist style like a mohawk or something along those lines. I can do individual twists on myself but not flat two-strand twists so I have to go to my stylist for that. I love her! She's natural as well and takes great care of my hair.

Janet'

I go once every 3 months to dontspeakdefeat because she is a natural hair stylist phenom...She's a member of the forum, so she specializes in healthy hair practices and she is all about helping grow hair to infinity!!!

She also is my colorist! :grin: :grin: :grin:

kandiekj100

I recently went to a Dominican salon for a rollerset and flatironing after having not gone for a year. I can flat-iron my own hair okay, but I usually always have to follow up immediately by putting in flexirods and can never wear it straight. I guess I just don't do a good enough job. I go mainly for the rollerset aspect because I can't seem to rollerset on my hair to save my life. I could do it as a relaxed head, but now :ohwell:. Once/If I learn to rollerset my own hair and can get the same bouncy and flowy results as the salon, then I'd probably only to go a braider for extensions, which I plan to start doing every so often in the new year.

Ronnieaj

I voted once a year, but it's really not even that often. The last time I went to get my hair cut was 2009. My SO trims my hair (I tell him if he can drill into someone's skull, he can trim a quarter inch), and since I wear it curly any unevenness is masked. I'll go to a stylist the next time I straighten (2013) and want my hair evened up.

kandake

I'm almost 11 months natural and I haven't been to a stylist yet. However, I have an appointment lined up for December. I plan to get it straightened and trimmed.

I don't know how often I'll go after this visit. Ideally, I'd like to go once every quarter.

faithVA

In 2010 I went once a quarter because I was wearing kinky twists. This year I haven't been at all because I have been working on my regimen. Ideally I would like to go once a month and get my hair straightened with a straightening comb if I can find someone to do that. But if not I may just start going every month or every two months to get my hair cornrowed.

I can do most things myself. But my life philosophy is why do something myself when I can pay someone else to do it :lol:

LongLeggedLife

haha@that^^^^--my philosophy is the exact opposite--why pay someone for what I can do myself...and usually better!

Anyway, I havent been in years, but I ran into my old braider/mohawk stylist at a Little League game last weekLOL--I'm trying to think of something for her to do for me but I havent worn cornrows anytime recently....hmmm...

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I havn't been to one in over a year. I do it maybe 1x a year when i weave my hair other that i do it myself because some these stylist don't care about natural hair and want to charge so much to do something that i can just learn to do from home for free or low cost with purchase of products.

cami88

I chose every 4-6 months to a salon to get it blown out for length checks. I do them twice a year--one in January and one in August. I daren't try to blow or flat iron my hair myself.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I go about every 3 months. but i don't have a regular place, I just hop into any random chain salon to get my ends trimmed. I don't trust myself to get my hair nice and evenly blunt.

I can do everything else myself. literally everything. There isn't one style I wear that I can't achieve with my own two hands, and half of the time I'm more satisfied with the work I do.

LovelyNaps26

last time i visited a stylist was about 4 years ago. i'm not planning on returning until 2013 the earliest and only then if the same lady who did my hair 4 years is still around. she's the only one i can trust to finger detangle, use a mild shampoo, low heat blow dry before pressing and who is a stingy trimmer unless i ask for a major trim.

ScorpioBeauty09

I'm natural but I wear my hair straight except when I'm on vacation and I see my stylist every 2 weeks but all he does is flat iron.:look: I wash, de tangle and blow dry myself. It reduces my cost to $35.00, allows me to use my own regimen and focus on what my hair needs. Plus, I LOVE washing my hair!:yep::grin:

mscocoface

I went to a natural stylist about 6 or 7 years ago. I stopped going when the person said it was going to cost $175 to put some twists in my hair! :nono:

I learned quick, fast and in a hurry how to do twists.

naturalmanenyc

About every 6 months. I went today for a roller set, blow out and trim and had gone in April for a roller set and blow out (but I did my own trim at home that time).

Nonie

I wasn't sure which one to pick because since 2001 when I decided to transition, I visited a stylist once in 2007 and that cost me a loss of 5+ inches in less than two hours. So I have no intention of ever letting a stranger do my hair again.

So while the last choice is closest as it describes me now, it's not entirely accurate about my natural hair journey from when it started.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I've been natural for a year now and have not seen a hairstylist since my last relaxer. I don't plan to see a hairstylist who specializes in natural hair or not until I reach BSL which would be another year or two from now.

BostonMaria

I don't know of any natural hair stylists in my area or even in my state. I only go to one person I trust and I visit her 2x a year. I'm my own stylist.

SmilingElephant

I haven't been to a salon since February 29,2008:yep:...the day i discovered LHCF! I am terrified to go to another one...knowing what i know now.

I had so many bad salon experiences...scissor happy stylists....my hair fell out...horrible relaxer moments...just a mess!:nono:

I would love for someone to do my hair...but i usually let my sister do my hair if i want something super fancy....but that's not everyday so...yeah.:look:

KEWLKAT103

Never. Sometimes I dream of going to a really good natural one to hook me up with a "wow" style, but really I only trust me to do my hair.