Naturals who flat iron...what iron do you have?

What flat iron do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danimani

I've been looking into a flat iron, and I've noticed the Sedu, Chi, and Fhi have really good reviews. But I don't want to rule out the Hai and the Solia (the one I'm considering) either...

I really don't like the teeth on the Maxiglide. I think they would get caught up in my hair (I have a cheapo flat iron now and I hate the teeth!)

There's too many to choose from :perplexed

Last edited:

Mortons

I too am afraid of the maxiglide on my natural hair. I have the FHI and I like it, it straightens really well on just one glide.

mermaid

I have a cheapie Revlon. I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on flat ironing often. The ceramic is only a coating and will wear off.
I've had mine for quite a while but only use it 1-2 times a month if that and the coating is now coming off, soooo, I'll have to fork out another 24.99 for another year, lol!!

CarefreeinChicago

I love my maxiglide even though i have not used it in a couple of months as long as yoou do not pull the teeth are no problem and helps get hair straight and the steam burst smooths it out

natstar

Solia- I love it. Makes my hair straight w/out frizz. It also could be cause I use Fantasia IC Heat protectant and use a 385 setting I believe. All I know is my hair comes out stright and it doesn't revert too quickly w/water exposure. (I also like the pink color)

neenzmj

I really like the Maxiglide. It does an excellent job getting my hair straight. I use it after I rollerset, so I haven't had a problem with my hair getting caught in the pins.

lana

I use the Maxiglide and I have 4a/b natural hair, so believe me I was worried about the pins, but my hair straightens out just like a relaxer after using my maxiglide.

I just make sure and go through my hair carefully to untangle any knots. I also don't close the Maxiglide all the way so it never tugs on my hair. I love it. I have the Sedu and it does nothing in comparison to the MG.

I really suggest the maxiglide, buy it and return it if you hate it (but I don't think you will).

One suggestion: Don't use the steam burst, for me it causes reversion and frizz, although it does help straighten (at first).

Qetesh

lana said:
I use the Maxiglide and I have 4a/b natural hair, so believe me I was worried about the pins, but my hair straightens out just like a relaxer after using my maxiglide.

I just make sure and go through my hair carefully to untangle any knots. I also don't close the Maxiglide all the way so it never tugs on my hair. I love it. I have the Sedu and it does nothing in comparison to the MG.

I really suggest the maxiglide, buy it and return it if you hate it (but I don't think you will).

One suggestion: Don't use the steam burst, for me it causes reversion and frizz, although it does help straighten (at first).

interesting, i have a sedu but not a maxiglide. i feel it gets my hair very straight also but this post has me wondering if the maxiglide really is better , i think the plates kinda scare me off because i dont want it to break or thin my hair out. i guess i am curious and might buy one tho,.....

zzirvingj

I am going to buy a Maxiglide this weekend! I borrowed one from a coworker and used it on setting #6. It got the section I was trying it out on really straight. I used the teeth, and like others said, did not pull on it...I just let it do it's thing.

I also did not use the steam burst as I just don't like the idea of it. Bed Bath and Beyond has them for 79.99 and I have plenty of 20% off coupons in the mail from them so that's where I'll be buying mine from. I can't wait to use it on my whole head. I will rollerset first (to stretch out the hair), then use the MG to press it out.

camellia

I have both a Sedu and a Solia. I flat iron my sisters' hair much more often then my own. They all have hair types similar to mine.

Both irons do an excellent job getting the hair straight, but I do like the fact that the Sedu is so light and easy to handle.

CynamonKis

I own a Chi. I like the Chi much better than the T-3 that I had, but I saw the Maxiglide infomercial & was impressed at how straight it got people's hair so I may try that one next

zzirvingj said:
I am going to buy a Maxiglide this weekend! I borrowed one from a coworker and used it on setting #6. It got the section I was trying it out on really straight. I used the teeth, and like others said, did not pull on it...I just let it do it's thing.

I also did not use the steam burst as I just don't like the idea of it. Bed Bath and Beyond has them for 79.99 and I have plenty of 20% off coupons in the mail from them so that's where I'll be buying mine from. I can't wait to use it on my whole head. I will rollerset first (to stretch out the hair), then use the MG to press it out.

DragonPearl

zzirvingj said:

When I Maxiglide, I am careful to not go over #5 because it seems that when naturals press at higher heat, there is the danger of the curls/nap not reverting. By the way, your hair is gawgeous!!

inthepink

I didn't vote b/c I have a sedu and Maxiglide. I like to use my Maxiglide when I'm straightening my hair completely. I use my Sedu to straighten my roots after rollersetting.

I use a Chi and it gets my hair silky straight.....I have the 1 inch and the half inch (has a variable temp setting)....the half inch one gets ALLLL my roots. I tried the maxiglide before, and it didn't even touch my roots.

seraphim712

I can't decide between a Solia and a Maxiglide... I've seen good results from both Pokahontas with her Maxiglide, and Navsegda with her Solia. I guess I will buy them both and decide, if I don't like one, I'll give it to my sister

honeybadgirl

i use fhi! i used to use and love chi but after i was introduced to fhi there was no turning back. the chi tended to snag my hair. fhi is nice and smooooooooooooooooth:p

NantanYah

This is a good thread. With my hair's type I would be too upset to buy a hundred dollar iron for it to not work. There are so many options and I am so confused :( but I am leaning towards the CHI or Solia. I'm going to get a temporary one for now... until I have completely decided. I am extremely scared of permanent straightness so I definitely want one with temperature control.

Dual

Are all the flat irons mentioned above a type of GHD flat iron??

I have GHD's but im not using them at the moment due to massive hair shedding. Im on a no heat prescription.

NantanYah

This is an Update: I just purchase a Maxiglide and an FHI. My experience was horrible with the MG because I used the steam then the next morning hopped in the shower with my bonnet and when I pulled it off I had a blowout, lol. I'm still having my blowout. I'm going to wash and condition then try again with the FHI. I have to get my technique right and then I think the MG will be a breeze! I recommend the MG without using the steam on natural hair!

Suerte

I use Jilbere de Paris from Sally's. I have the Titanium Tools and the Ceramic. I use the Ceramic mostly. I love it. It's better than the Chi on my hair...and for $49, I can live with the price.

stargazer613

I have a Solia and I love it! I have the 1 1/4" and it is so easy to use and it does not snap or pull or make your hair look frizzy.

I tried the Maxiglide but did not get good results. I've tried it with both plates and I still don't think it is for me. In the future, I would like to try the FHI.

Anyone have the FHI and Solia? how would you compare the two? which one would you say gets natural hair straighter? TIA.