Naturals who flat iron...what iron do you have?

What flat iron do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissMeWithThatIsh

I just purchased a red wet/dry flatiron by Conair for my hair at Walgreen's for $23 and it works Lovely. It's Ceramic Plated, light and easy to use.

LynnieB

i have a maxiglide. it's the first and only flatiron i've ever owned and i've had it about 2.5 years, used it about 7 times and it always worked consistently and extremely well.

i've never used the flatplate, just the one with the teeth and love the steam burst. it gets my hair straight-straight.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
you ladies are great....I'm gonna get a flat iron today and this thread was very helpful to me. I wannted to get the maxiglide but I think it might be too big and wont get to my roots.

I'm leaning towards this one in the link below by Jibere

Last edited:

fivetimestwo

I voted for Maxiglide although I've only used it on my daughter's natural hair, not my own (too lazy :grin:) but it's great and I really think the teeth make all the difference.:yep:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
just came from Sally's and I bought a jibere tourmaline ceramic flat iron. I went to bed bath and beyond and saw the maxiglide. I didn't buy it because I felt it was too bulky and I felt that my hair is still too short for 2" plates.

zzirvingj

I have used my Maxiglide about 3 times since buying it (I don't press very often). I like it ALOT, but I LOVED how the FHI the stylist used on my hair got my hair so "silky" straight.

I don't know if it's my technique, but my hair still has some bulkiness/poofiness to it after straightening with the Maxiglide. Don't get me wrong, it works well....but after experiencing the FHI, I seriously am considering buying one!

domniqqt

How often do you guys flat iron? I just got my hair flat ironed to have the ends trimmed and I dang near had a heart attack when I cw it later and thought it wouldn't revert:perplexed.... Is it ok If I flat iron my hair just for trims like evry 3 months or so or should I go longer? I don't want my waves to go:sad:

DayStar

didnt read you said "natural".....my bad....im sure it would work for you though.

Jilbere de Paris; Definition Series...I love this flat iron :grin:

Last edited:

Gryphyn

I had a Maxiglide once but I returned it. I found it bulky and heavy, and my hair wasn't long enough to maneuver it properly. After that I used my mom's cheapy flat-iron, which did a great job! Then I bought an electric hot comb. I had a disastrous time with it, but then I learned on low heat and with some press and curl wax, it does a great job, too!

cecepassion

I've tried the maxiglide and i didn't like it to much. It was to bulky and i kept burning myself with the steam. I just tried the sedu out it did ok. I think maybe it was the products i used. What are ya'll putting on your hair before you flatiron? My ends felt dry and tangled.:ohwell:

Last edited:

glamazon386

Bump Bump What products?

My hairdresser doesn't use any. If your ends look like that, you might need a trim. Also, somebody else mentioned in another thread that they do the comb chase method. They take a fine toothed comb and run it through the hair before they bring the flat iron through. They said they gets the ends straight too.

Soliel185

I use a touch of serum and an anti-frizz product or straightening lotion through damp hair. Very light touch though. You can find a heat protecting spray with moisturizing ingredients and mist your hair with that before hand.

The comb chase method definitely helps - if you think about it, your ends are probably the curliest most tangled part of your hair, and the flat iron just flattens that, it doesn't detangle, so now you have a flattened knot basically.

Maybe after ironing you can use a bit oa leave in, and a tiny bit of water and then pin curl or twist your ends for a few minutes to smooth them and make them look more moisturized.

AshMoBev

So I broke my personal challenge of a summer without heat. Got tired of combing out those curls and dealing with the matting. Plus, I'm kinda thinking that was putting a bit more stress on my hair....anywho...I gave in and straightened today with my purple Corioliss Pro....And I DOOOOO see some progress! YES!...:clap:I have an ISO flatiron too but that crap either pulls my hair or breaks it so i dont use it..Something isn't right with those plates..Im always curious about other brands as the ones mentioned in the poll but my Corioliss just works FABULOUSLY for me!

lilsparkle825

i want to try the maxiglide now that i am fully natural...but i love my solia. best flat iron of my life; i used sabino MB and the chase method.

kurlybella

interesting, i have a sedu but not a maxiglide. i feel it gets my hair very straight also but this post has me wondering if the maxiglide really is better , i think the plates kinda scare me off because i dont want it to break or thin my hair out. i guess i am curious and might buy one tho,.....

i have a sedu too...all this maxi glide talk is new to me. but the comb thingy sounds encouraging. i've heard of the maxi but never details from naturals. may have to invest in another flat iron.

d-rock

A girlfriend of mine has a Maxiglide. This woman has type 1a hair (as straight as hair comes) so don't ask me why she feels like her hair "curls" at the ends. It doesn't, she's always rocking a bun so when she takes it down her hair flips up at the ends, she doesn't get it, we've all tried to explain it to her, but I digress. Yesterday she was playing with my semi flat ironed hair and all of sudden she proclaims that she has "a straightener with little teeth in it that comb your hair for you" that her SO bought for her off QVC. I knew immediately what it was so we started doing my hair. I have her Maxiglide iron right now and I recommend it to anyone looking for a flat iron.

I forgot to mention I'm 100% natural 4b hair type and as long as you do the hair in small sections and start with the ends and take your time the comb feature will not pull out or damage your hair.

Last edited:

d-rock

I had a Maxiglide once but I returned it. I found it bulky and heavy, and my hair wasn't long enough to maneuver it properly. After that I used my mom's cheapy flat-iron, which did a great job! Then I bought an electric hot comb. I had a disastrous time with it, but then I learned on low heat and with some press and curl wax, it does a great job, too!

:look: Tell me more, 'cause I've never heard of that.

Kneechay

I'm loving my Chi, going on two years with it and it gives me absolutely great results. I think however, the results you get with a flat iron depends a lot on your technique.

mikosbelle

Hmm, I am still undecided. I have an old school CHI which does not have a temp. control, a Maxiglide and I am still not satisfied.

I am tempted to get the FHI Runway, but I can't find it at a decent price. I did try the FHI Special Edition Platform, and it was so so. All of these good reviews and I don't know which way to go......:spinning:

Trace

I use a Sedu and it's ok. I have naturally curly hair, so to
straighten sometimes I press and flat iron it. I actually wished the Sedu got hotter (highest setting is 410) so I wouldn't have to constantly reswipe my hair to get it straight.

Andy1979

I bought a CHI about 3 years ago when I was relaxed and it worked GREAT for the first 2 years...well, ever since I went natural, it has not worked as great and I tried it again a few weeks ago, and I swear I must have went over the same section like 4 times and it would not get smooth (it would get straight but not silky smooth)....so I'm wondering if the CHI just loses effectiveness over time or is it just not vibing with my new natural texture...A friend of mine said she knows several girls who have complained that the CHI just doesn't work as well after the first 2 to 3 years, so maybe that's it.

Also, I have decided to purchase the FHI...it seems like everyone who tries it loves it more than any other iron they've tried, so Ulta is having a $20 off sale on FHI's and along with my 20% off coupon, I should be able to walk away with it for ~$130, so I'm getting the FHI platform. After I try it I will post a review

~CurlyNikki~

I no longer flat iron, but I use to. The Solia got my hair bone straight :) I misused it though, and ruined my hair. If I was using it appropriately, it would've been the best thing ever, lol!