Naturals with long hair.....how do you retain length?

gennatay

Having all these regimens in one place is great...

I have to agree with others, when I stretch my hair, it tangles less. I have seen a huge increase in retention since I started stretching it out. I wash 2x's a week and flat twist to dry. I also re-twist every night. I find that if I dont, my hair gets matted easily and I need to wash to detangle. I also keep it moisturized and I stopped using a comb and brush all together. I was finding that I was ripping my hair out (no matter how gently I combed it or how much conditioner I had in in) and now finger comb exclusively.

Vintagecoilylocks

I finger detangle with lots of leave in conditioner on wet hair.

I braid my wet hair and let it dry in the braids to reduce tangles
I seal my ends with a heavy butter.

I used to detangle once a week, but now I am shedding a lot so I find it necessary to do it a few times a week

Every thing Leiah said:yep: Your hair is gorgeous BTW

greenandchic

I use an old loc soc that has lost the elasticity around the banding. It ends up being a pineapple (more like Nefertiti :lol:) when I put it up in there. It holds the curls and doesn't mash or mush my hair and the best part is absolutely no manipulation. Because there's so much hair, it holds the loc soc on and the banding is loose around my hairline, so no rubbing. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase.

Thanks! Your hair looks great!

celiabug

well my hair is around WL stretched, sl unstretched and how i maintain length is:

• by protective styling
    (i wear buns like everyday)
  • barely wear wng. maybe once a month if that. the longer my hair the more tangles i get with wash and goes. especially where my hair touches my shoulders
  • detangle with a denman in the shower with a lot of conditioner (thinking about going back to finger combing because my hair is starting to get mad thin.)
  • trim whenever the ends look like they need it
  • low manipulation is key!