Need Some Advice On My Daughters Hair! Please.

SignatureBeauty

Okay My daughter is soon to be 11yrs. old and she has been natural and now she is relaxed again, But here is the thing she has some very serious thick hair that is about 3c 4a combination and it is hard to straighten and put in pony tails because it never lays down, She is too tenderheaded for braids so that is out, But sometimes she wants her hair straight and that is when I applied a Relaxer but it never straightens it like it should, so I guess this is my Q that her hair doesn't need a Relaxer, But her hair does excellent with a weekly flat iron.

She hasn't had the relaxer long so I am guessing I should just let it grow out and continue to flat iron every now and then, her hair is very healthy it is just so thick.
I know alot of people are against kids and relaxers but I just need some advice, she likes her hair straight and she likes it curly,Her hair grows pretty fast. she has hair like Keisha Knight (rudy huxtable) had when she was on the show and was still little.

I will take all the advice, The salons want to charge me an arm and a leg to flat iron,so I went out and bought me a flat iron and a blow dryer with a comb attachment.
So do you feel it would hurt to flat iron once a week to grow her hair out?

Thanks Ladies!

UmSumayyah

It could be her hair doesn't like the kind of relaxer. My hair laughs at lye relaxers, the only thing I can use is no lye.

As for flatironing it once a week while it grows out, that will depend on the strength of her hair. Some people do it with no problems. If you go this route definitely add some protein conditioners/treatments in addition to moisturising deep conditioners. Then just monitor her hair and see how it holds up.

HTH.

SignatureBeauty

Thanks I will do that, I keep her hair protein infused and she gets those weekly treatments, I will monitor her hair, because I mean it is healthy and people think she has a wig on because her hair grows Out and not Down, I also do roller sets on her but the curls last one day because she sweats the curls out.

Thanks

beyondcute

For a little girl I think she needs to wear what you do to her hair :lol: I wish I would tell my mom I WANT MY HAIR THIS WAY! :lol: Id have to ask for ym teeth back :lol:

For real, I think you should let it go back natural (relaxers didnt work and they may be causign damage) and just style it weekly (and only once weekly) with the flat iron and make sure you moisturize it so it wont dry out.

If she already had a relaxer there shoudl be no way she could sweat it out. I think she'd be better off (and your pocket book too) if you just stuck with the flat iron.

MeccaMedinah

beyondcute said:
For a little girl I think she needs to wear what you do to her hair :lol: I wish I would tell my mom I WANT MY HAIR THIS WAY! :lol: Id have to ask for ym teeth back :lol:

For real, I think you should let it go back natural (relaxers didnt work and they may be causign damage) and just style it weekly (and only once weekly) with the flat iron and make sure you moisturize it so it wont dry out.

If she already had a relaxer there shoudl be no way she could sweat it out. I think she'd be better off (and your pocket book too) if you just stuck with the flat iron.

Great advice.:)

Eiano

UNLVgirl is natural and she presses her hair once every 3-4 weeks or something and her hair is EXTRA healthy. Maybe you can message her and ask her regime. But I think if done right and if you put on heat protectants and oils, the hair will be straight, shiny and not too damaged.

brownbarbie

---- Amen to that!

My daughter's hair sounds a lot like your daughter's hair. I put a mild texturizer on my daughter's hair and keep it deep conditioned and moisterized.

She's only 8, and she's been begging me for a perm for the last year! I told her no. And of course, my family, who doesn't know anything about hair, tells me I'm a bad mom for not giving her what she wants.

Her hair is healthy, shiny and supple. I condition it weekly with Silicon Mix, rub a bit of MTG in her scalp and use VO5 Moisture Milk as a moisturizer.

As a compromise, I do straighten it on a low setting using a straightening comb about once every two months. I'm like, enjoy it baby, because it'll be back natural in a week! :lol:

SignatureBeauty

Thank You all for the advice, I haven't been here in a couple of days so I couldn't respond. But I will do just that, because I mean the relaxer doesn't get it straight and it just poofs up and never lays down unless I put a pound of gel to make it lay down then cover it with a scarf to help mold it down, I will continue to just let it grow on out because I refuse to put a realxer to her hair every6 weeks because that is how fast her hair grow,I am so happy to have you ladies in my hair life!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

It sounds to me like your daughters hair is texturized and not fully relaxed. I think rollesetting and following to make it a little more smoother/straight to your desire, go over it w/a flat iron and always use a hear protectant. I would only do this once every 2-3wks though, not weekly. Always DC on wash days w/a moisturizing poo and follow up w/treatments on a regular 4-6wk schedule. Using a light oil to moisturized like coconut oil, or WGO should be good. I wouldn't flat iron wkly even if she was natural, as we are all learning from recent post that natural hair is not always the healthiest and does not mean we can always to go the extra mile on. If you do wish for her to have straighter hair then a corrective relaxer may be needed on the next touch up if there will be one. It sounds as if the relaxer did not take properly or was not left on long enough. HTH's
NappyParadise said:
Thank You all for the advice, I haven't been here in a couple of days so I couldn't respond. But I will do just that, because I mean the relaxer doesn't get it straight and it just poofs up and never lays down unless I put a pound of gel to make it lay down then cover it with a scarf to help mold it down, I will continue to just let it grow on out because I refuse to put a realxer to her hair every6 weeks because that is how fast her hair grow,I am so happy to have you ladies in my hair life!

SignatureBeauty

BeautifulWideEyes said:
It sounds to me like your daughters hair is texturized and not fully relaxed. I think rollesetting and following to make it a little more smoother/straight to your desire, go over it w/a flat iron and always use a hear protectant. I would only do this once every 2-3wks though, not weekly. Always DC on wash days w/a moisturizing poo and follow up w/treatments on a regular 4-6wk schedule. Using a light oil to moisturized like coconut oil, or WGO should be good. I wouldn't flat iron wkly even if she was natural, as we are all learning from recent post that natural hair is not always the healthiest and does not mean we can always to go the extra mile on. If you do wish for her to have straighter hair then a corrective relaxer may be needed on the next touch up if there will be one. It sounds as if the relaxer did not take properly or was not left on long enough. HTH's

Yeah I think I didn't leave it on long enough, I usually prep her scalp with a base and all, So I guess I will just leave it on just a little longer, I recently purchased some wildgrowth oil and I love it and so does she, But I haven't put heat on her hair in years and it has done fine, I mean when she was natural she had severe tangles and I bought every product to tame it and I even bought oyin greg juice but I ended up having to purchase weekly and that got expensive, But since I know how to care for the new growth while it is growing in then I can stretch her awhile.

Should I use a Stronger Relaxer? or just stick to a mild one and leave it on a little longer?

I also apply our relaxer with an applicator bottle because it is less messy than the tint brush and it get right to the new growth.

ajargon02

I am so w/ the person that said that you should do her hair in a way that's convient for you. When she gets a little bit older and can do her own hair, then she can do all that she wants to it. You can do braids very gently,and it's very convient. Both of my neices are EXTREAMLY tenderheaded. You will just have to search to find someone who does children's hair on the regular, and knows to be gentle. As for the flat ironing on top of a perm, I think that's just inviting more dmg, breakage, and more of a problem in the long run. I would to protective styling, as far as not flat ironing, but rather rolling her hair in plastic magnetic rollers(large pink ones) while the hair is damp, w/ a serum of some type on it. When it dries, it will be smooth, straight, and bumped at the ends. I am a natural and this works for me. See, you can look in the photo at the bottom, w/ my hair in a fro, and look at it in the updo. That was done w/ magnetic large rollers. Good luck to you. wow, I wonder if I can't post the link b/c my fotki acct has gone back to free? I will try to get the link up there so you can see that it works

SignatureBeauty

Thanks! She told me she would rather have rollersets because when I tried to flat iron her hair she started getting a headache,so that is out,Now she wasn't telling me in a smart mouth way of how to do her hair, she was just telling me how she would like her hair done from time to time and if I could do it, and I will look into someone who can braid childrens hair,Last time someone braided it they had it to tight and braided her hair soak n wet with no hair moisture or leave in conditioner and her hair broke off severly bad and she was natural at that time,I thought I had done something wrong, I mean I had her scalp Oiled and even sprayed moisture on her braids.

This happend when I went to go to the store to get some snacks for her, But I took her back and she gave me my money back too and they were only cornrows,I had even brought all the supples to put on her hair. But that was the end of that and I had known this braider for over 6 years personally.so I thought!

But Thanks!