Nervous About Stretching - Stylist says causes breakage

Researching

Hi ladies,

I have never stretched over 8 weeks before, but I noticed that some of you ladies say the stretching leads to healthy hair. I am concidering stretching for 12 weeks because my graduation date will land during that time and I don't want to use heat until my next relaxer. So if I don't want to celebrate my graduation in a nappy bun, I'm gonna have to stretch to wear my hair down. But, I'm nervous about this because my stylists told me that my hair will break at the place where my newgrowth ends and my relaxed hair begins. This would be a waist of all my efforts. Will this still be true if I only comb under running water on washed days? I didn't tell my stylist I wasn't combing and you ladies are far more knowledgable than she is so I'm asking you.

It causes breakage to the stylists pocket! :)

on a serious note, if you moisturize properly you will be just fine. Especially if it's only 4 weeks past how long you normally stretch.

Moisture your new growth & the demarcation line and you will be fine.

That is not necessarily true -- I transitioned for a year before I BC'd, and that translates to me "stretching" for approximately 52 weeks. Just be careful with detangling, stay on your moisture/protein game to keep that line of demarcation strong, and you should be fine.

I'm sure some of the relaxed gurus can let you know about the specific dos and don'ts.

I usually relax every 6 or 7 weeks - 8 max. I am now at 6 weeks and just last week started moisturizing my new growth with castor oil I got from CVS.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Ain't that the Truth:rolleyes:

Like all the other Ladies said, keep your new growth moisturized and you should be fine.

Keep your Protein & Moisture in check and keep your New Growth moisturized.

12 weeks isn't long enough to cause you any 'real' problems as long as you stay on top of your game. :grin:

I stretch for at least 12 weeks.

During this time, I deep condition at least 1x a week. I alternate between moisture and protein deep conditioners and I apply the deep conditioner to my new growth the same way I apply a relaxer.

Also, deeper into my stretch I go out of my way not to manipulate my hair too much and opt to wear buns or bantu knot outs.

My hair has seen no adverse effects. :yep:

^^^^^^^^^

Good Point, I forgot one of my most important ones........

Weekly Deep Conditioning. For Me, Preferably with Heat helps keep everything in check as well.

Thanks for mentioning that Sasha:grin:

That is not necessarily true -- I transitioned for a year before I BC'd, and that translates to me "stretching" for approximately 52 weeks. Just be careful with detangling, stay on your moisture/protein game to keep that line of demarcation strong, and you should be fine.

I'm sure some of the relaxed gurus can let you know about the specific dos and don'ts.

ITA. I'm at 50 weeks into a 104 week transition and I haven't experienced breakage. I think when you have a relaxer, you know you will get a touch-up at some point, so you may not handle your hair as carefully. When you are long-term transitioning, such as myself, you KNOW you have to stay on top of your regimen if you want to keep all your relaxed ends until the end of your transition.

So, with DC 1-2x/wk, you should be good to go!

I usually relax every 6 or 7 weeks - 8 max. I am now at 6 weeks and just last week started moisturizing my new growth with castor oil I got from CVS.

your gonna wanna moisturize with something other than oil... oils good for sealing but it doesnt moisturize....

your gonna wanna moisturize with something other than oil... oils good for sealing but it doesnt moisturize....

That's true. There are a lot of posts on moisturizing our hair. Good moisturizers include NTM silk touch leave in, and Hairveda's whipped cream.

I stretched for about...16 wks once and it was awful for me. Probably b/c I don't have the patience for it. But i know it is possible b/c plenty of the ladies on here do it and there hair is healthy and beautiful w/ little breakage. By 14 weeks my hair was breaking something awful but I suppose I wasn't doing the right things for my head. My next stretch at about 9 weeks I would just start bunning or wigging. Very low manipulation is probably key and taking care of that line of demarcation.

Currently 16 weeks post with no breakage. As everyone said before, regular DC's keep your protein/moisture balance, detangle gently and keep it moisturized. Alot of ladies like using S-surl on their new growth when stretching. I like it sealed with castor oil.

I think most people can stretch longer than 8 weeks. I can go for about 11 or 12. The last time I went way too long. I must have has like 6 months of ng and it did break at the demarcation point. I got my hair rollerset the other day and the stylist noticed it. Anyway, I say stretch as long as you can without breakage and that's different for everyone.

If you're gonna stretch try to go like 10 weeks next time instead of jumping into a 16 week stretch.

To add my two cents. As others have stated deep conditioning, protein and moisturizing conds are key to stretching. Add one week each time to your stretch. Just don't go from 6wks to 12wks. Be extra careful when you detangle on wash days. Also, only comb your hair on wash days with lots of cond on it. I stretch 12 wks easy now and I once got my relaxers 5-6 wks. I did a 20 wk stretch last year, but it did more harm that good for ME. I'm now back to 12wks.

I just relaxed today after stretching for 20 weeks. This was my second longest stretch, my longest being 36 weeks (or something like that) and another for 17 or 18 weeks. I haven't had any issues.

You will need to get a good moisturizer and/or leave-in. While I love my JBCO, I keep my hair moisturized with HE LTR, HV Whipped Ends and/or NTM.

I'm sure you can make it 12 weeks with no problem. Good Luck!

ETA:
DC'ing is key as well. As far as your question regarding only combing your hair under running water, that is the process I adopt for my stretches. I only comb under running water hair full of conditioner.

Last edited:
This is my first time stretching. I am currently at 27 weeks and I love it. My hair has never felt more healthier. You have nothing to lose. It's all about learning how to take care of two textures, your natural texture being one of them. So don't fret. Take the plunge!!!

I think it's harder to stretch past 6-8 wks when the two textures are extremely different. I relax bone straight and my hair type is 4 b/c. That's a big difference, so I find that very low manipulation is key especially after about 5-6 weeks.

One of the worst things you can do on your healthy hair care journey is to listen to the advice of the average stylist. Asking a stylist about how often you should relax is like asking a shoe salesman weather or not you should buy shoes today. Theres a conflict of interest. Its in her best interests for you to come in more regularly for touch-us because that results in more revenue for her. It is in her best interests for you to be ignorant as to how to maintain your hair between relaxers because that cuts into her bottom line.

I remember wayyyyy back in my relaxed days asking my stylist what I should do inbetween relaxers to keep my hair healthy and she said "come in every two weeks for a wash and deep condition". I asked her how often I should get a trim she said "with every relaxer you should get a trim" They're about getting their money for the most part.

You need to independently do the research as to how to care for your hair inbetween touchups and stretch properly. The only reason most women encounter breakage at the demarkation line is because they are not adequately moisturizing and strengthening their hair

Okay ladies. So here is my plan. I will alternate my Aubrey Organic Honey-Suckle Rose Conditioner and ORS each week. I will DC with these on dry hair. Since I am six weeks post already I will stick to buns and no combing but under running water with hair soaked in conditioner. I will moisturize with S-curl once or twice a day and seal with castor oil (only twice a week) and coconut oil (non-castor oil days). And of course no heat except for blow drying my bangs. Did I miss anything?
Thaks so much for your advice!

I'm going to give an unpopular opinion and say that how long you can stretch depends on your hair type. The bigger the difference b/t the two textures, the more potential damage there will be.

I have very course 4a hair and I can go for about 10 weeks before tangling becomes more intense and I have more than average hair shed in my comb. Others can go for a year or more. You really have to take it on a personal basis and do what feels right for your own head. And only that will be the true answer for you.

/\ Traycee and Sylver are coarse type 4a's and they regularly do long term stretches. From what I remeber Traycee does 3-4 month stretches and Sylver does year long stretches on the regular.

Its all about finding the right moisturizing products, styles and techniques to melt away your tangles and keep the line of demarcation strong and moisturized.

When you have lot of new growth you shouldn't be combing your hair while dry whatsoever....thats just asking for breakage and tangles....as your new growth comes in you should switch to styles like braid-outs and flat twist outs done tightly on wet hair to stretch the new growth and keep it soft.

You simply have to adjust as more and more new growth comes in.

I'm a coarse type 4a, I'll never relax again but I know if I were relaxed I would be able to stretch for 3-4 months (at least) with no issues. You simply have to do your weekly DC's and shift your styling choices as your hair progresses farther and farther away from your last relaxer.

She's right to a certain extent. It won't automatically cause breakage. However, not taking your hair in general can lead to breakage. You have to be on top of things when you're stretching as you have two texture types. Like someone else mentioned, taking care of your demarcation line is a must! The demarcation line and ends are the most important in my opinion.

Just supply your hair with what it needs and you should be good.

/\ Traycee and Sylver are coarse type 4a's and they regularly do long term stretches. From what I remeber Traycee does 3-4 month stretches and Sylver does year long stretches on the regular.

Its all about finding the right moisturizing products, styles and techniques to melt away your tangles and keep the line of demarcation strong and moisturized.

When you have lot of new growth you shouldn't be combing your hair while dry whatsoever....thats just asking for breakage and tangles....as your new growth comes in you should switch to styles like braid-outs and flat twist outs done tightly on wet hair to stretch the new growth and keep it soft.

You simply have to adjust as more and more new growth comes in.

I'm a coarse type 4a, I'll never relax again but I know if I were relaxed I would be able to stretch for 3-4 months (at least) with no issues. You simply have to do your weekly DC's and shift your styling choices as your hair progresses farther and farther away from your last relaxer.

I agree with the bolded I'm 4b/a and my last stretch was 27 weeks..I had no problems, you just have to be in tune with your hair and not get lazy.

To add my two cents. As others have stated deep conditioning, protein and moisturizing conds are key to stretching. Add one week each time to your stretch. Just don't go from 6wks to 12wks. Be extra careful when you detangle on wash days. Also, only comb your hair on wash days with lots of cond on it. I stretch 12 wks easy now and I once got my relaxers 5-6 wks. I did a 20 wk stretch last year, but it did more harm that good for ME. I'm now back to 12wks.

I TOTALLY AGREE....

My first stretch was for 7 weeks instead of 6. I worked my way up to 12 weeks, one touch up at a time. Take your time. Add a week at a time over a year or so. That's what I did.

stretching doesn't do much for me after 12 weeks, and I have to be real real careful because my hair is fine and tangles easy.

Also since your stylist is not on board , you need to know your hair well enough on your own, since she will be perplexed with all the new growth. :)

The first couple of times stretching will be tough. But it is worth it. It does cause breakage if you are not on top of your hair game. What the stylist said is not a complete lie, for the average person stretching it probably will cause breakage.
6 weeks is way too often to be relaxing though(unless you're some kind of super grower). I feel like hardly have any ng after 6 weeks. Well I do, especially in the middle, but not that much. Jumping from 6 to 12 may be overwhelming. Read and research on this board a lot. Make sure you have good products. It is truly a learning curve. Personally, it was a pretty steep learning curve for me. So be patient.

on a serious note, if you moisturize properly you will be just fine. Especially if it's only 4 weeks past how long you normally stretch.

Moisture your new growth & the demarcation line and you will be fine.

The bolded sums it up. You just have to learn how to do it properly. Moisture & protein treatments, find your balance.

I've been stretching throughout my pregnancy and my hair has never been healthier!

Stretching can be tricky. I never personally recommend jumping straight from 8 weeks to a 12 plus stretch because it does not allow you time to figure out how your hair responds.

I was a 6-8 week relaxer for years with BSL hair, but it was paper thin in the crown (you could see my scalp if the wind blew!) I found LHCF and started my stretching 2 weeks at a time so I went from 6 weeks to 8 weeks to 10 weeks etc between relaxers.

This gave me time to figure out and learn how to deal with my new growth a little at a time. The longest I have done so far is 13 weeks and I did it with buns, french braids, and various updos; and I can honestly say that was a huge mistake for me! :wallbash:

The past streches I did low manipulation styles and co-wash 2x week and it was breeze. But with the buns I did for the 13 week stretch I failed to take my hair down to detangle regulary and a few inches of new growth will tangle and knot up on you quick which can lead to some serious breakage. For my next relaxer I am re-attempting 13-14 weeks and will return to my low mani styles that allow me to finger comb nd keep it detangled.

Best of luck to you!

i think a lot of people may receive breakage if they stretch do long and their hair is not accustomed to it i think if you havent stretched more than 8 weeks u should only stretch for 10 weeks then next time aim for that 12 weeks and then work your way up like that so its not so harsh on your hair cuz i know when i started transitioning i experienced some breakage initially. but i got over it with moisturizing and everything else everyone already suggested

When I was relaxed pre-LHCF, 12 weeks was my normal touch-up schedule. But it's also the case that I always blowdried my hair after washing, so the roots would be blended anyway. So I think it has more to do with how you are used to handling your hair. I agree with the other ladies that say suddenly GREATLY increasing your relaxer stretch could be hard, but going just a few weeks longer than usual shouldn't cause you any trouble.

I air dried for the first 9 months of my transition, and keeping it (gently) detangled and moisturized was key. I was con washing frequently during that period, which helped keep my moisture levels up.

Back