Nervous About Stretching - Stylist says causes breakage

There is some excellent advice in here. Moisture is your friend. Keep your hair in a protective style (such as a bun, braid-out, etc) so you don't have to manipulate it too much. I found that after week 10, wearing my hair down and straight was not an option. You can do it!

I stretched for about...16 wks once and it was awful for me. Probably b/c I don't have the patience for it. But i know it is possible b/c plenty of the ladies on here do it and there hair is healthy and beautiful w/ little breakage. By 14 weeks my hair was breaking something awful but I suppose I wasn't doing the right things for my head. My next stretch at about 9 weeks I would just start bunning or wigging. Very low manipulation is probably key and taking care of that line of demarcation.

Yes. this is the same thing that happened to me, except I went to 16 weeks and then it was all downhill from there! Quite terrible. On my current transition I have not experienced breakage and it is either because I am not really concerned about it (the relaxed ends) or a combination of using BKT to transition, which strengthens the line of demarcation, and low manipulation styles. Either way I think you have to find what is the right length of time for YOUR hair (as it may not be able to do super long stretches like other people due to differences in texture and relaxing processes) as well as following the advice from the other ladies about finding the right balance of protein and moisture, which in my experience has not been very easy to do, which is why I just stick to the BKT!

Week 16 here,I posted last week desperate for advice for my NG and got very good advice, I didn't relax and I'm glad that I did. I will in 2 weeks at week 17. I've been DC, rollersetting weekly and flat ironing roots only at a not too high temperature,jut enough to get the roller mark out. I use Kerastase night serum as a moisturizer and I also got L'Oreal mighnight treatment, I use a bit of coconut oil after that on the NG and I find that I can wear my hair out for 2 days, then I bun. I haven't experienced breakage.

I think most people can stretch longer than 8 weeks. I can go for about 11 or 12. The last time I went way too long. I must have has like 6 months of ng and it did break at the demarcation point. I got my hair rollerset the other day and the stylist noticed it. Anyway, I say stretch as long as you can without breakage and that's different for everyone.

If you're gonna stretch try to go like 10 weeks next time instead of jumping into a 16 week stretch.

To add my two cents. As others have stated deep conditioning, protein and moisturizing conds are key to stretching. Add one week each time to your stretch. Just don't go from 6wks to 12wks. Be extra careful when you detangle on wash days. Also, only comb your hair on wash days with lots of cond on it. I stretch 12 wks easy now and I once got my relaxers 5-6 wks. I did a 20 wk stretch last year, but it did more harm that good for ME. I'm now back to 12wks.

I cannot stress the importance of easing your way into stretching. When I first started stretching, I went from relaxing every six weeks to now relaxing every 13 weeks by adding a week every relaxer (or every other relaxer if I had difficulty with the previous stretch). That last relaxer was my third time at 13 weeks and I now feel comfortable enough to add a week next time. I ultimately want to work my way up to 17-18 weeks for 3 relaxers a year; but, I am going to do it in a way that allows me to preserve my hair.

I remember reading in Sylver's either Fotki or a post here that she used Rusk Sensories leave-in conditioner. I've been looking for it ever since (at least 2 years) and I'm never lucky. The same for Aussie Deeep. I can't find those prods anywhere.
See if you're luckier.

Okay, well looks like I'm going to have to wear a nappy bun to my grad or I just might airdry and flatiron with heat protection. But, that's okay. I'd rather not risk jumping into a dramatic stretch. But, I will be stretching one additional week each relaxer as you ladies suggest. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back