New Challenge, Stay Natural in '08

Mortons

I'm joining this challenge. Twice my best friend has had to talk me out of getting a "texture smoother". :sad:

Mook's hair

Im having a hard time with this, this year in particular. I like wearing my hair straight, all the styles I do can be done on relaxed hair, Im about sick of reversion, etc. BUT i know my natural hair is SO much more healthier than my relaxed hair (even though I wasnt treating my hair so nice). And Im sure its better for my body (less chemicals) But jeez! I have to get on fotki and look at naturals to get past my feelings. I had to delete many relaxed friends fotkis because its so darn tempting. :nono:

For months 4 through 8 of my transition. I also had to lock down and avoid looking at relaxed ladies albums. It was toooooo tempting.

I was very proud when I re-gained the ability to look at relaxed hair but maintain my strength. Although Tracee really got to me when she posted that Signature bun youtube video!!! Hi Trace...:peace:

Last edited:

Soliel185

I would like to join :wave:

I made it 7 months last year before I gave in a texlaxed. That was in Jan. Now I'm 4 months into my REtransitioning and I'm going to stick with it! Instead of trying to make my natural hair better blend with my over-processed ends I should have just cut the ends off! I have since done that and now moving forward. I'm good now.....it''s another 4 months down the line that I'm worried about. I love looking at you ladies for inspiration! :grin:

AtlantaJJ

I've been natural for about 8 months. My hair is shoulder length now but shrinks up to my nape when wet :nono:. I takes forever to twist and detangle because my kinks are in love with my coils and they never want to let each other go. My wash and go's are crazy looking-I look like a coily girl when wet but after air drying and shrinkage I look like I have knots on my hair because the coils shrink up soo much not to mention the 4a curls get smaller and tighter toward the back of my head until the nape is 4b. I've been eyeing texturizers for the last month. This being said, I am determined to be natural this time next year. The challenge is easy, just don't relax or texturize. Go ahead, blow dry or press if you need to. Just join me in the quest to stay away from the relaxer isle at your local BSS.
Count me in, we will work through this together (pun intended!!)

Joanna721

Ladies it has been almost 6 months since I relaxed....and this stuff is killing me....I so wanna texlax of something but IM NOT GONNA do it....I swear that creamy crack calls my name everytime I hit wally world or sallys or CVS but I resist...bantu knots are killin me was n gos are aggrivating and my funds just wont get right for kinky twists....but Im pressing on...lol

SignatureBeauty

COUNT ME IN!! I need this, I had texlaxed but it was just like my natural hair but seemed harder to care for and then I was afraid to touch up! So I am in!!

N

nappysunflowers

Whenever I look in the mirror and see the curls pop out, and see it slowly yet surely get towards my back, I am willing to hold on and take the co-washes, the braiding it up every night, the deep conditioner/sauna treatments. My hair just looks better. I am just focused on its health. Period. Length will follow. I found since I put down the ruler, my hair is responding better. I am not my hair, true. My hair is a representation of my health. I focus on spirit first, mind second, body third, and hair fourth.

I would love to join this challenge, and stay stay stay.:yep:

Soliel185

made it to 6 months...I'm going to keep my hair braided up for most of the summer. I might do another mini chop sometime near Christmas or New Years'. I want a puff for next summer!

TsAngel

I am so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my natural hair.

We can do this.

When feeling discouraged, just think about when hot outside (110 deg heat index in Memphis), you don't have to worry about your style sweating back.

Honey-Dip

made it to 6 months...I'm going to keep my hair braided up for most of the summer. I might do another mini chop sometime near Christmas or New Years'. I want a puff for next summer!

I am hoping to have a CUTE PUFF next summer as well! WE can do this ladies!!:theteam:

Cleanheart25

I'm managing to stay natural! I don't have any reason to change! I like it far better.

This summer I'm using cornrows and half wigs-see the youtube links. I hope to get more length so I can do more natural styles. My daily wash n gos were looking unkempt because my fro is growing odd. I think it is because of the various hair textures.

I finally figured out how to use the denman and I do love it!

Having my hair cornrowed is hard because my scalp and hair love the daily cowashes. After like 3 days of no cowashing my scalp goes crazy with the "itchies"! The braid spray helps but I miss the cowashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAels5s4YE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gi-1t9BPKs&feature=user

P

Paradox

I'm in, I've been transitioning for two years from being texlaxed. This is my second time transitioning, when I was 13 after three relaxers I stopped getting them,and when I was 17 I got tex-laxed. This time my natural hair is here to stay.

morehairplease

still hanging in there! I took starting pics this time around to keep track of my progress. Hopefully, my hair will be long enough to get braids by Oct if not Dec.

LongHairDreams

I'm managing to stay natural! I don't have any reason to change! I like it far better.

This summer I'm using cornrows and half wigs-see the youtube links. I hope to get more length so I can do more natural styles. My daily wash n gos were looking unkempt because my fro is growing odd. I think it is because of the various hair textures.

I finally figured out how to use the denman and I do love it!

Having my hair cornrowed is hard because my scalp and hair love the daily cowashes. After like 3 days of no cowashing my scalp goes crazy with the "itchies"! The braid spray helps but I miss the cowashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAels5s4YE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gi-1t9BPKs&feature=user

I like your YouTube video's. That is a good idea. If only I was into wigs :ohwell:

Soliel185

Still transitioning! I'm almost @ 7 1/2 months so I've already made it further than I did last year. :drunk:

I think I will probably do an 18mo transition...we'll see.

hello everyone, count me in. i have been lurking for three yrs. and i have started over three times. this time i am staying natural.

jerjer29

Still transitioning! I'm almost @ 7 1/2 months so I've already made it further than I did last year. :drunk:

I think I will probably do an 18mo transition...we'll see.
i'm transitioning to 18 months too! i dont know what it is but 18 months just seemed like the magic number

Silver

Hi everyone
I would like to join, I really need your help. I have been natural for most of my life, but seeing all these beautiful relaxed heads with progress makes me want to relax my hair. I would have relaxed it last week, the only thing that stopped me is that my hairdresser didn't answer her phone, which is probably because I haven't seen her since I joined this board. I don't think I'm getting the progress I should be getting. I want to relax just to see that my hair is growing and to make it easier to style, but I know that I will just end up transitioning again afterwards so I don't want to waste my time. How do I get my hair to start growing?

Crown

Hi everyone
I would like to join, I really need your help. I have been natural for most of my life, but seeing all these beautiful relaxed heads with progress makes me want to relax my hair. I would have relaxed it last week, the only thing that stopped me is that my hairdresser didn't answer her phone, which is probably because I haven't seen her since I joined this board. I don't think I'm getting the progress I should be getting. I want to relax just to see that my hair is growing and to make it easier to style, but I know that I will just end up transitioning again afterwards so I don't want to waste my time. How do I get my hair to start growing?

So, don't waste your time! Flat iron it (with heat protectant) if you want to see your real length.
For growth : good products for YOUR hair, clean your scalp, moisturize, protect your ends, DC, cover your hair or use a satin pillowcase at night, comb and detangle your hair the good way and when it's necessary, massage your scalp and exercise, water, healthy food, lower stress, (supplements and/or growth aids if you want).

SignatureBeauty

Can I rejoin? I failed this year. I am going to be transitioning again. I'm hoping 8 times a charm.:look:

DDDDD!!! You at it again Huh?:lachen:I know it is tough when you see so many beautiful natural/relaxed & texlaxed heads around here,I know it's tuff and I understand. Yes, you can do it and this time for good! I am trying my hardest to just stay simple and keep it moving:grin:

AtlantaJJ

I'm still natural, exactly 1 year and I found out that my fine strands need protein!!

I made great progress, and from what I learned this year, I'll make even better progress next year! :yep:

Who's starting the stay natural in 2009 challenge ???? :grin: