*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

Everytime I go to to TempleClean.com and go to the purchasing area, I cannot select to purchase just the Gold Sprush. What am I doing wrong???

Scroll down there will be a drop down for quantity and right next to it will be a drop down for the color you prefer. This is the drop down you want to select, Once you select your color a new screen will pop up taking you to the shopping cart.

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

Washing the day before I plan to relax.

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:
Waiting a week after washing to relax. I had sores for days when I let my hair dresser convince me that my way of doing things were wrong. As soon as she applied the relaxed I started to burn and she had to rinse right away.

Please include specific techniques.

THE DAY BEFORE

Wash and condition hair - I do this but I don't not recommend this to anyone. I know alot of ladies burn badly when relaxing to close to wash day. FOR ME relaxing my hair a week after wash day is asking for sores.

RELAXER DAY

Base scalp with oil
Grease around hair line
Part hair into 4 sections, securing with hair clips
Start at one of the back sections and make thin parts applying the relaxer to the newgrowth only, with a relaxer brush or the back of a comb. Some relaxer will get on the scalp that can't be prevented. Continue doing that at each section. This takes me 5-7 minutes. I don't go back through an straighten my hair. My goal is not to have bone straight hair, just to remove some of the curl and kink.
Rinse hair well
Shampoo with Isoplus Neutralizing Shampoo 3-4 times or until shampoo lather is white
Apply French Perm Stabilizer Plus, detangle hair and rinse
Hot oil treatment with amla oil for 30 minutes and rinse
Condition with V05 extra body conditioner and rinse
Style hair
I relax my hair every 1" of newgrowth or every 6 to 8 weeks. I love my wash and gos in the summer so my goal is not to relax my hair bone straight. I can get straighter hair when I rollerset or flatiron my hair. I normally rollerset after a relaxer. Stretching a relaxer more than 6-8 weeks means breakage for me.

I've had people tell me this and that is bad, it won't work.....well, I have been doing this for years and this works for me. We all need to find what works for us and not just accept the norm because it is what has always been done. I'm always open to new things but I have to see that it works.

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.

texasbeautysupplycom_2034_16594125.jpg

Love love Lady Velvet Relaxer, It's the best out there IMO for my hair.

STABILIZER-32.jpg

French Perm Stabilizer Plus

I use this product when I relax my hair. After applying the neutralizing shampoo I apply this and leave it on for about a minute. The purpose is to stabilize hair's acidity level.

But...

I found that it work as a wonderful detangler. I only use this when the above two stop working at about 6-8 post relaxer (depending on how much new growth I have).

So Sistaslick has an article on self perming which is pretty nice and concise. One thing that's in there that I don't recall reading on the postings in this thread is this:
:**Note: During the neutralizing process (mid-protein and neutralizing shampoo steps), you should make sure that you are not roughing up the cuticle layers of the hair in any way. Always work your post relaxer products down the shaft in one direction. No lathering, or scrunching the hair, etc. The straighter you keep your hair during the neutralizing process, the straighter the hair will turn out in the end. As your hair is neutralizing, your hair's bonds are "freezing" or falling into their final, permanent place. If you direct the hair downward in a straight orientation with care: 1.) You ensure a neat arrangement of bonds in the final turnout and 2.) Reduce permanent damage to the shaft as the cuticles begin closing."

I thought it was interesting and it does make sense to me...here'e the entire article for your pleasure ladies....sorry if it's already posted or the above is already mentioned:)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

grow I checked and you really did make a good point; my old relaxer had no protein and the one that I plan on doing does and so does the neutralizer that I have, SOOO I've decided to make sure that I do the mid step reconstructor for 3 minutes max and use only moisturizing conditioners in my DC (except for my beloved SAA).

:lachen::grin::yep::lick::lol:
Hi, I'm Nix08 and I'm addicted to the "creamy crack" EVEN more so now that grow has started this thread!!!! I have a wrap on my head because I am whipping my hair around and running my fingers through it constantly. It is SOOOO soft and and feels moisturized! Talk about an even relaxer! Not 1 and I mean not 1 sore spot on my head. I don't know if I've ever had such a beautiful relaxer - all my worry was unfounded:) So from this thread I did the following:
Detangled, then Vaseline in my scalp the night before and SAA in my roots and put my usual oil (Gleau) on my hair. Just before I relaxed I put more vaseline in my scalp and a touch on the ends of my strands. I parted my hair into 4...a part down the center stopping in the middle of my head and so I had 2 front sections (left and right) the remaining back portion of my hair I parted horizontally so I had an upper and lower portion. I started my relaxer with the upper portion because that's where my roots are the toughest. Finished applying relaxer in about 10 minutes. Let it sit for a bit then smoothed it out with my fingers. While keeping my hair straight down I rinsed, added reconstructor with SAA for 3 minutes, rinsed, acv rinse, added neutralizing shampoo. Then let that sit for 20 minutes. Rinsed - added aloe vera juice, SAA, wheat germ and coconut oil, moisturizing conditioners covered with a cap for 30 minutes. Rinsed, acv and cold water. Leave ins and T-shirt wrapped for about 24 hours (I had things to do)...flat ironed and fell in love:)

Another creamy crack addict here....I am relaxed again. I pretty much do what dlewis does with her relaxer except I do the mid-relaxer protein step as well.

Hello ladies! I relaxed on Tuesday after a six month transition-turned-stretch. I actually slacked on my deep conditioning mix, and I suffered some breakage from protein overload. I just got paranoid about making sure that I had enough protein in my hair after the relaxer that I did my protein treatment immediately after my relaxer then, after neutralizing and coloring, I overnight DC'ed with Silicon Mix, and I didn't even mix in my oils to boot! Welllll, I realized after I rinsed out the conditioner that I had used too much protein, and after my rollerset yesterday, I started seeing little hairs everywhere (and I did a loose rollerset!). Not to worry, though. I'm moisturizing twice a day and my hair is already starting to feel better. My hair will survive. I'm just happy to be relaxed! :grin:

BTW: Now that I think about it, I'm not really relaxed. I'm more texlaxed. I have been for about three years now. I just don't normally make the distinction. :ohwell: I'm going to change my siggy! :)

Hey ladies that have purchased the temple clean applicators and have used them how did you like it?? I have the aqua applicator that looks like a regular perm brush and then the gold smoother..

:) :) It feels good doesn't it - I didnt' realize how much I enjoy being relaxed since I successfully did mine.
On a side note I did a bit of a protein overload a week or so before I relaxed but to combat it I then did my first co wash and DC with only moisturizing products and it helped significantly.

I relaxed a week ago after an 8 month stretch. Some new things I learned:

The half & half method is a keeper. I was afraid the other half would get wet, but it was great. Once you place clips along the part properly(I put clips all along the part), the plastic cap is very secure. Not a drop of water got on the other half. I rinsed in the shower, but I'm going to invest in one of the those sink hoses for next time though. Hopping in the shower 2x is tiring.

Henna next day after relaxer. My hair feels great; very strong, smooth.

Sprushes are the shiznit. Seriously. If you don't have a Sprush, you're missing out. It can hold more relaxer than a comb and it is very precise. Made appplication very quick and easy.

:) :) It feels good doesn't it - I didnt' realize how much I enjoy being relaxed since I successfully did mine.
On a side note I did a bit of a protein overload a week or so before I relaxed but to combat it I then did my first co wash and DC with only moisturizing products and it helped significantly.

Yeah, that helps. I haven't had times to do another DC, but I will after this weekend. The moisturizing leave-in is slowly returning my hair to normal. A DC would be much better though. I'll get to try out my new Giovanni shampoo for black hair! :grin:

I relaxed a week ago after an 8 month stretch. Some new things I learned:

The half & half method is a keeper. I was afraid the other half would get wet, but it was great. Once you place clips along the part properly(I put clips all along the part), the plastic cap is very secure. Not a drop of water got on the other half. I rinsed in the shower, but I'm going to invest in one of the those sink hoses for next time though. Hopping in the shower 2x is tiring.

Henna next day after relaxer. My hair feels great; very strong, smooth.

Sprushes are the shiznit. Seriously. If you don't have a Sprush, you're missing out. It can hold more relaxer than a comb and it is very precise. Made appplication very quick and easy.

I think I'm going to have to look into getting this Sprush...those who use it all seem to love it....

Yeah, that helps. I haven't had times to do another DC, but I will after this weekend. The moisturizing leave-in is slowly returning my hair to normal. A DC would be much better though. I'll get to try out my new Giovanni shampoo for black hair! :grin:

New Giovanni for black hair...eh (canadian)????? Tempting!!! I'm thinking of trying out co washing we'll see how that goes....this thread is slowly tempting the PJ in me - GIovanni for black hair and a Sprush may just be in my future:)

I'm a self-texlaxed 4a/b that just did my own texlax about three weeks ago. So far my hair is wonderful and I'm already getting new growth. I like my hair right "here" and if it could stay at this stage I would be so happy. This time I made sure to base my scalp properly and then I evenly applied the relaxer starting at my thickest newgrowth areas. I did it all by myself, usually my hubby helps, but it worked out fine. I switched over last time from no lye to lye and that was six months ago or more, so I really feel the difference in my hair, less dryness, more moisture now that I'm using Mizani Lye for Sensitive Scalp/Color Treated hair.

I skipped the reconstructor before neutralizing step because I needed that relaxer OUT of my hair fast. One thing I do is that I rinse with lukewarm water until most of the relaxer is out and then put on the nuetralizer, that takes an extra 60 seconds but it's worth it. Then neutralize, then reconstruct, then neutralize again. My hair was so soft and pretty and so easy to blow dry after deep conditioning with heat. I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try not to texlax again until January 2011. We'll see if I can hold out. I need my old Maxiglide! I can't find one, but I need it!

so sad that I almost can't come over to the hair forum without buying something

**sprush has been ordered, 2 actually**

Bumping.. To the top :)
I havent decided whether i will relax in a few weeks and make it a 12 wk stretch or waitto make it around 16. I usually do 11 or 12 wks. More tips pls ladies. Im a fraid of burnin' mah scalp off >_<

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

Stretching, I used to go to the salon for touch-ups every 6-8 weeks. Now I self-relax every 12 - 14 weeks. I will NEVER go to the salon for a relaxer again.

Coating my previously relaxed hair with Break Free.

Rinsing out relaxer, then using Jherri Redding Natural Protein, rinsing then using Porosity Control, THEN neutralizing. I get white suds with my Proclaim Neutralizing Shampoo or ORS Creamy Aloe, the first time, EVERY time.

DC'ing with a mix of ORS Replenishing (bottle) and Silicon Mix.

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:

Basing my entire head. Now I just relax the perimiter, esp my ears. Now that I self-relax I never burn.

Applying relaxer with a tint brush. My fingers are better, but, I want to try a sprush.

Please include examples of things you believe in.

I believe in sticking to my core products. I use Profectiv relaxer. Even the economy packaged "Smart Perm" . It is the same relaxer found in all the other Profectiv boxes. No-lye works fine for me. This brand does not burn and my hair turns out perfectly time after time.

Please include specific techniques.

Before I relax I spray Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea into my roots and let it dry.

Gather everything I need around me, line up all my conditioners and neutralizers on the side of the sink.

I section my hair in four parts and base all around the perimiter.

Rinse, condition and neutralize as described above.

DC with a mix of ORS Replenishing and Silicon Mix. If I use heat it takes 20 minutes. If I don't, I let it sit for one to two hours.

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.

Profective relaxer, I've used them all except the color and relax. They are all the same and have worked the same. Leaves my hair feeling very conditioned with no breakage.

Jherri Redding Natural Protein - It's stinky, smells like strong soy sauce, but, it works.

Porosity Control - Leaves my hair soft after the protein is finished with it.

Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In, before drying. Elasta QP Shea Butter and castor oil after drying.

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

The relaxer has oil in it but, I'd like to try adding some or Neutral Protein Filler, (This works great for my semi-permanent color.), or SSA's. I'm bone straight and like my hair that way. I'm afraid of adding too much oil and not getting the results I want.

I'm going to get a Sprush.

I haven't tried relaxing the nape, edges and/or crown last, but the idea sounds interesting.

how long do you ladies think I can wait to do a corrective relaxer? I relaxed yesterday and I'm underprocessed. I did not use the half and half method instead I did my whole head like I used to many years ago. The problem is my hair is much longer now then it was when I used to self relax. Parting to get to the new growth was a mess and so the relaxer process was much slower. when my timer hit 20 minutes I was done applying the relaxer to my fourth section. The problem was that the relaxer I used said 18 minutes for course hair so I panicked did a little smidgen of smoothing and then rinsed it right out for fear of over processing. I also experienced alot of shedding after I combed out my roller set..I was already very under processed in some areas from my previous salon relaxer in November that's why I couldn't stretch more then 7 weeks this time around, and now I'm even more under processed. I want to try the half and half method and try to correct the underprocessed areas. I'm a little scared but I definately want to self relax. How do I go about doing a corrective on the under processed hair? how long should I wait? and what steps should I take so that my hair doesn't fall out. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• my hair.jpeg
    my hair.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
how long do you ladies think I can wait to do a corrective relaxer? I relaxed yesterday and I'm underprocessed. I did not use the half and half method instead I did my whole head like I used to many years ago. The problem is my hair is much longer now then it was when I used to self relax. Parting to get to the new growth was a mess and so the relaxer process was much slower. when my timer hit 20 minutes I was done applying the relaxer to my fourth section. The problem was that the relaxer I used said 18 minutes for course hair so I panicked did a little smidgen of smoothing and then rinsed it right out for fear of over processing. I also experienced alot of shedding after I combed out my roller set..I was already very under processed in some areas from my previous salon relaxer in November that's why I couldn't stretch more then 7 weeks this time around, and now I'm even more under processed. I want to try the half and half method and try to correct the underprocessed areas. I'm a little scared but I definately want to self relax. How do I go about doing a corrective on the under processed hair? how long should I wait? and what steps should I take so that my hair doesn't fall out. Any help would be appreciated.

I would wait at least six weeks to be safe. I would also leave the relaxer on the under processed parts for half the time, anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.

@blackberry815
I'd give it at least a month and condition very well and use reconstructors in the meantime.
Something similar happened to me my last 2 touch ups. I was underprocessed because I couldn't get my hands on my regular relaxer and used an already weaker one and cut it with shea butter and SAA like I do my regular one.

I touched up/corrected about 7 weeks later. I had a SCARY amount of shedding because I had done braidouts and low manipulation for about 3 weeks before touching up. So I've learned to get rid of shedded hair so you don't spook yourself when you see it wash out and the shedding finally comes loose.

I also had trouble neutralizing because I have more hair than I've had before (first time being WL) so I'm going to start the half-half method so I can get it done without panicking and neutralize without it taking hours.

@blackberry815
I'd give it at least a month and condition very well and use reconstructors in the meantime.
Something similar happened to me my last 2 touch ups. I was underprocessed because I couldn't get my hands on my regular relaxer and used an already weaker one and cut it with shea butter and SAA like I do my regular one.

I touched up/corrected about 7 weeks later. I had a SCARY amount of shedding because I had done braidouts and low manipulation for about 3 weeks before touching up. So I've learned to get rid of shedded hair so you don't spook yourself when you see it wash out and the shedding finally comes loose.

I also had trouble neutralizing because I have more hair than I've had before (first time being WL) so I'm going to start the half-half method so I can get it done without panicking and neutralize without it taking hours.
I'm glad this was bumped. Do any of you comb through your hair while rinsing, or have ways of getting the relaxer out (quicker) ? Neutralising takes sooo long -even with acv rinses, conditioning caps etc

I actually learned from a neutralizing thread elsewhere :look: but its good to have a timer or digital clock with you while you neutralize. Plain water at high pressure for a full 10 minutes then begin with neutralizing poo and let sit for 10 mins the first time; then 8; then 5. Use the poo at least 3 times.
It should take about 40 mins to neutralize. I include an acv rinse and I'm going to use French Perm Stabilizer next touch up as well. I use porosity control after I rinse my DC.

Thank you. Maybe the rinsing is more important then? At my first self-relaxer, I rinsed my hair for maybe 5-8 minutes, then the shampooing itself took 2 1/4hrs.. too much.

I remember a thread though, where sistaslick or gymfreak responded and said, contrary to popular belief, you Shouldn't rinse your hair out at the highest pressure for the longest time. It's not good after a relaxer.

So maybe I'll rinse at a medium pressure for 15 minutes. And dry my hair between steps?
Has anyone else used a neutralising sham/mousse with a shower cap? It took me longer than 40 mins when I did my own relaxer, which is why I'm trying to speed things up. Any tried and trues?

Back