*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

I used Designer's Touch No Lye relaxer last month and it worked great! I will used the rest of it for my next relaxer and maybe try Butter Blends after that. I used Isoplus color coded neutralizing shampoo. There was a Post Perm treatment in the Designers Touch kit that my hair liked. I think I will get a bottle to use for my future relaxers. I put oil on my relaxed hair, but I think next time, I will try something else to protect the relaxed portion prior to relaxing.

Great Thread.

Last edited:
Thank you. Maybe the rinsing is more important then? At my first self-relaxer, I rinsed my hair for maybe 5-8 minutes, then the shampooing itself took 2 1/4hrs.. too much.

I remember a thread though, where sistaslick or gymfreak responded and said, contrary to popular belief, you Shouldn't rinse your hair out at the highest pressure for the longest time. It's not good after a relaxer.

So maybe I'll rinse at a medium pressure for 15 minutes. And dry my hair between steps?
Has anyone else used a neutralising sham/mousse with a shower cap? It took me longer than 40 mins when I did my own relaxer, which is why I'm trying to speed things up. Any tried and trues?

I wouldn't recommend a shower cap while neutralizing because it will help warm your head and open your pores.
Rinse well and of course use your fingers to part your hair and rub the relaxer loose.

Thank you^. I never actually thought about that (the cap opening my pores). I thought it'd make the neutraliser work better though..

Another neutralizing tip I just learned:
When you are about to rinse the relaxer, wet the ends and length of the hair before you let the water touch the roots/relaxer. Get the length/ends soaking wet then start to rinse the relaxer out.
The rationale behind this is that hair has a limited porosity. When the hair is full of whatever you applied to protect the previously relaxed length plus water, it doesn't have room for the relaxer to run into.

OK, I'm taking all of these self-relaxing threads as a sign that I need to go ahead and become a self-relaxer. :yep: It's something I've been thinking about for awhile and I'm ready!

I'm not due for a touch up until March, so I have plenty of time to do all of my research.

I received my Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp relaxer in the mail today! Just a few more supplies to buy and I'll be all ready to relax next Friday!:happydance:

a BIG THANK YOU to all the ladies who have been sharing these beautiful pearls of wisdom!!!

on a personal note, i have decided to stretch until may, then do my texlax.

something new that i've started doing is the henna/indigo.

are there others who texlax/perm then use the henna/indigo?

any tips?

thanks and hhj!

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

• basing!!!
  • mixing conditioner and oils into my relaxers to "silken"/texlax
  • pre-neutralizer protein step
  • rinsing well and neutralizing several times
  • DC after
  • use a mild relaxer because I am sensitive AND I color (now just henna)

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:

• being lazy about basing
  • using no-lye kits - my hair didn't like them even before I lived in a hard water area
  • starting in the back
  • processing the "mohawk" portion of my hair for more than a few minutes -- it's both fine and less curly and coarse. This area has suffered breakage from over processing
  • overlap relaxer -- my retention has been harmed by careless hands (mine and others)

Please include examples of things you believe in.

• basing well, since my whole life I was told I was tender-headed and stylists got frustrated at having to rinse out relaxers that were not finished (processing and/or applying)
  • mixing conditioners into my relaxers
  • sectioning my hair well -- 4 sections just doesn't work for me, my NG is dense and/or I am slow. More sections also allows me to tackle the hair based on how dense each area is, usually crown first, then nap, then sides, then "mohawk"

Please include specific techniques.

• I put Summit Sensitive Scalp base into an applicator bottle and melt it in a deep container (like a Big Gulp cup). It's easier to apply and it's like getting a soothing, hot oil treatment
  • Apply base to every 1/4" or more, better safe than sorry when you're sensitive!
  • having everything lined up in order and in advance
  • Mixing a protein conditioner, EVOO, Argan and other oils into my relaxer
  • divide hair and apply oils and serum to protect from overlap

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.

• I bought Mizani Butter Blends when I switched to lye, because I could afford it over Affirm (only available in 4 lb tub). It's the only lye relaxer I've used on myself and the only one I've used with condish/oils mixed in
  • ApHogee Essential Oils
  • Mane & Tail condish - my hair didn't like this as a conditioner, but it seems to work well as a relaxer mix in
  • ApHogee 2 minute reconstructor as mid-relaxer protein

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

• researching other mix ins, like ceramides
  • half and half method
  • stretching (my hair gets cranky at 7 week point, even when I baby it, so far 10 is my max, 12 was horrendous)
  • ApHogee 2 minute reconstrucor as relaxer mix-in?
  • Porosity Control?

I ordered the gold but they also sent me the green as apparently that's for application and the gold is for smoothing.....I only use the green.

Bumping..seems like a lot of relaxed heads are trying to self-relax. ;)

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

-Underprocessing

-Leaving previously relaxed hair out. Some sort of way I need to find a way to actually hide my previously relaxed ends because they gone get in the way. I'm thinking of trying to actually roll that hair up and only leaving the newgrowth exposed and then applying w/ an applicator like a PP said. I've done the applicator before, but my hair was all out and the previously relaxed hair seemed to still get processed a bit.

-Smoothing out; too much risk for overprocessing. I may just use a comb next time, especially since I plan to have the previously relaxed ends rolled up.

-The half and half method did not seem to work for me.

-The applicator method does work to reduce overprocessing. It's kind of a tedious method though because the relaxer comes out in small amounts, but really that good for control. And I think I added some oil to mine which helped it come out smoother :yep:

-Definitely relaxing back and edges last. I wish there was a way to hold off from relaxing edges really; still figuring that one out.

-Again w/ the applicator
-I'll try the hair rollers next time

-I use SoftnBeautiful botanicals. It's no-lye and old school, but it doesn't overprocess my hair

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

-To try rolling up previously relaxed hair

Thanks Ladies... Does anyone self relax for a bone straight result? I like my hair relaxed bone straight and it seems like most self relaxers go for the texlaxed results... Any tips on how I can succesfully get that bone straight result that I get at the salon while self relaxing? I'm guessing preparting and relaxing in 2 halves should work....

I've only self-relaxed once, but I was amazed at the results, so I feel comfortable answering the questions:

*taking the time to pre-section your hair. It took me about an hour (I did small sections and twisted them), but it made the relaxer application go quickly.

*heavily coating previously relaxed hair with oil.

*wearing a plastic cape while rinsing my hair in the shower so the relaxer didn't touch my back (thanks to an LHCF tip).

*wearing gloves that allowed me to feel my texture so I didn't have to use a sprush.

Can't think of anything right now. I read and researched self-relaxing for over a year, so I was well-prepared.

*Do your research! Feeling educated about self-relaxing put me totally at ease. I wasn't nervous at all.

*Have all of your tools at hand. You don't want to be searching for something with a head full of relaxer! :nono:

*Allow enough time for the entire process. It took me six hours from start to finish and I was fine with that. I scheduled a day totally for me and me only. No interruptions. I know I'll be faster next time, but I'll still set aside all day.

*Pre-section and oil hair (priceless tip).

*Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp - gave me great and straight results! I've never had a relaxer burn, but I hear that this relaxer doesn't burn.

*Vaseline - I coated my ends with this to give them extra protection.

Can't think of anything right now.

Thanks Ladies... Does anyone self relax for a bone straight result? I like my hair relaxed bone straight and it seems like most self relaxers go for the texlaxed results... Any tips on how I can succesfully get that bone straight result that I get at the salon while self relaxing? I'm guessing preparting and relaxing in 2 halves should work....

blackberry815 - I go for bone skrait when I relax! :grin: I used Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp. Pre-parting is the way to go! :yep: I wasn't comfortable trying the half/half method. I wanted to get my head done is one shot.

I created an album in my fotki that outlined exactly what I did if you want to check it out.

Again, this is a great thread ladies and thanks so much for it. I have ordered the gold and aqua sprushes from folica and will be self relaxing the Easter weekend. The next two weekends, I will be testing the processing time on my shed hairs to see which relaxer formula to go with: Mizani lye for fine/color treated hair or the one for medium/normal hair. I have finally decided on the hair cut I want and have been searching the internet for pics to take to the stylist after my dh relaxes my hair. Hopefully, everything will go as planned.

Gaining the Confidence and Knowledge that You Can Do This I am just now getting over my nervousness about Self-Relaxing.:look:

I was still trying to 'rely' on someone to 'help me out.' :perplexed

But my last Relaxer, the person I counted on "Stood Me Up" so I was left on my own. And That Right There Did it for me.:nono:

I had All the Knowledge, All the Products, and the Know-How. And Now I have the CONFIDENCE.

I Got This!:grin:

(4b fine strands)
Basing my scalp THOROUGHLY with a mineral oil/ petroleum jelly base
Basing my EARS, neck, and forehead :grin:
Using my fingers to apply and smooth with no gloves so I can feel the new growth
Starting at the crown coz that hair is the coarsest of all
Applying more relaxer than I think is necessary, and applying it to both sides of each part. My hair drinks up relaxer :lick: like where did it all go?
Relaxing in 4 sections, timing when I started each section, and rinsing in sections so each section gets 15 to 20 minutes
Relaxing my edges last
When I smooth, parting my hair in the opposite direction I applied the first time. I part my hair horizontally to apply, and vertically to smooth. Feels like I can catch missed spots that way.

Using a comb didn't work for me
Asking a family member to help, never again.

Stick to one brand if it works for you. No need to switch brands every time.
Take your time. If you're running out of time, rinse out that section so you have enough time for the next section.

Fingers, no gloves, apply more relaxer than you think is necessary.

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why
Mizani mild lye (not butter blends) works for me best

Mid-protein step. I have done a neutralizing conditioner before, but I don't recall trying the mid-protein step. Will try it next time.

My hair gets pretty straight I don't texlax. The best advice I can give you is to expect yourself to go slower than you intend to, so relax in sections and take your time. If you rush to be done with the whole head in 20 minutes, you're going to miss a lot of spots. So give yourself enough time to go through a section twice so the second time while you're smoothing you can check to see if you missed any parts.

Also, apply a little bit more than you think is necessary. The reason I say this is because when I first started relaxing I never applied enough. After I was done applying and I started smoothing, it looked like I hadn't even put anything on my hair.

1. Relaxing in sections
  2. Covering the previously relaxed hair with Vaseline, neutralizing shampoo, and Joico chelating shampoo
  3. Using a ceramide after rinsing/before neutralizing
  4. Applying garlic oil and aloe vera gel to my scalp and DuoTex protein to my hair and sleeping it over night

Using an applicator bottle. Maybe it was the one that I used, but the relaxer would not come out! I had to end up cutting the bottle down the middle.

I pre-part my hair to make application faster.

I use Phyto II relaxer mixed with Biolage Hydratherapie, SAA and Walnut oil. This makes my hair VERY strong!

I will try the Redken Extreme Deep Fuel as a mid step with my next touch up.

taz007 do you mix your SAA into your relaxer and the walnut oil? What is your receipe for this? I am going to purchase Mizani BB to relax my hair.

This thread is soo helpful ladies. I love the toothbrush idea, and doing the nape and crown last, or doing the nape and crown every other application.

blackberry815 yes i go bone. its all in the smoothing. i relaxed in 2 halves last week. back half parted and smooth relaxer on front/back of part then went back over it again parting a different way slower..resmoothing.

-Leaving previously relaxed hair out. Some sort of way I need to find a way to actually hide my previously relaxed ends because they gone get in the way. I'm thinking of trying to actually roll that hair up and only leaving the newgrowth exposed and then applying w/ an applicator like a PP said. I've done the applicator before, but my hair was all out and the previously relaxed hair seemed to still get processed a bit.

-To try rolling up previously relaxed hair
@itismehmmkay -Hi! Let me know when u do that pls! I always end up with some relaxer on the length of my hair!

Back