No Brastrap Yet! What am I Doing Wrong?

janeemat

This brastrap journey is getting to be discouraging. How is it some ladies can reach BSL from APL in 4-6 months and others it takes forever. The first year of hair care was the best for me and now it is a drag. You can see that in my siggy. And not only that, the longer it gets the thinner it seems to get. I moisturize my ends morning and night with Frederick Fekkai glossing cream. Maybe I need to try something different. I don't know.

Some bra straps ride higher than others. Some torsos are shorter. Based on you siggy, I would expect 9-12 months for full base brastrap based on an average growth rate .5 inches/month. For you it looks like approx 5 inches of growth. Just continue to protect your ends as you may be experiencing some breakage (thinning).

Some bra straps ride higher than others. Some torsos are shorter. Based on you siggy, I would expect 9-12 months for full base brastrap based on an average growth rate .5 inches/month. For you it looks like approx 5 inches of growth. Just continue to protect your ends as you may be experiencing some breakage (thinning).

There was another thread that discussed this variance. I remember that people were saying to use BSB (below shoulder blade) instead of BSL (bra strap length) because it is less subjective.

Do you protective style? Keeping ends in buns buried in buns most times than not can help stop them from thinning and breaking. Also keep in mind that growth cycles vary so some may grow their hair to waist and some only to BSL--and that is when retaining all their growth...because the latter may only have a 2 year growth cycle and at half an inch a month growth rate, it'd mean you'd have to grow 12 inches and retain it all to see 12 inches length. Don't forget that it may take longer than 2 years to actually see that because there's a learning curve. So you may have finally figured out the best regimen for full retention after the first year had gone so you may not have retained the full 6 inches you grew but may grow 6 inches in a year now that you know. But after the cycle repeats itself for another 2 years, you may finally see yourself sporting the hair you always believed you could grow.

Janee,

It can be very discouraging but like someone suggested, have you tried hiding your ends in a bun for a while? That has really helped me. From February up until now, I've been on my own little bun challenge. I was shoulder blade length when I started and now I've reached bra strap. I am very consistent with my regimen and vitamins which has really helped.

As a growth aide, I do use MN and that helps me a lot too. I know we live in a "microwave" society in which things happen quickly but some things do require patience and unfortunately hair growth is one of them.

Best wishes to you and try not to get discouraged that tends to make it worse...

Do you protective style? Keeping ends in buns buried in buns most times than not can help stop them from thinning and breaking. Also keep in mind that growth cycles vary so some may grow their hair to waist and some only to BSL--and that is when retaining all their growth...because the latter may only have a 2 year growth cycle and at half an inch a month growth rate, it'd mean you'd have to grow 12 inches and retain it all to see 12 inches length. Don't forget that it may take longer than 2 years to actually see that because there's a learning curve. So you may have finally figured out the best regimen for full retention after the first year had gone so you may not have retained the full 6 inches you grew but may grow 6 inches in a year now that you know. But after the cycle repeats itself for another 2 years, you may finally see yourself sporting the hair you always believed you could grow.

I agree with this poster. I think hair grows in cycles; however, I understand your frustration. I'm been stuck at a BSL plateau for many months now, and I'm wondering what I need to do differently. I did recently incorporate bunning for the past two months, and I've seen less of a need for trimming, but it's still the same length.

My grandma told me this weekend that it's not uncommon for the body to change in cycles, similar to how people lose weight and then plateau. She even used the analogy about plants and how they grow in certain seasons. In terms of weight loss, she said people can continue losing weight, but they get frustrated with the plateau and stop their healthy habits. I'm determined not to give up on my goals because for all I know, my next growth spurt could be right around the corner. :yep:

In the meantime, try to focus on being grateful and maintaining what you have. That's what I do to stay motivated. I review my progress pics and think, "well at least I'm maintaining my progress."

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions. The 1st year, I did have a strict regi and bunned more often than now. I'm going to change up my regi some. One thing I did fail to remember was from June-Dec 2008 I was not able to take fully care of my hair do to surgery. So I guess I really should be grateful.

BSL is taking forever for me as well. Even though for the last year or so I've been more interested in cutting and growing my layers out, my journey to BSL seems more like "Mission Impossible". You've been given some great advice. The only thing that I can add is to not stress and take it a day at a time!!! :)

Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions. The 1st year, I did have a strict regi and bunned more often than now. I'm going to change up my regi some. One thing I did fail to remember was from June-Dec 2008 I was not able to take fully care of my hair do to surgery. So I guess I really should be grateful.

I think you hit on another good point pertaining to your overall health. I say that I've been on a plateau since November, but I also have had a number of health problems that began in November. I'm really starting to take my own advice here and just be grateful what I have and keep it up until my growth spurt starts again.

Hi Janee! :wave:

I agree with what has been said, especially about growth cycles, inconsistency in regimen, and health. As long as it is growing, and you are retaining what you do have, the length will come. From APL to BSL took a very long time for me, almost a year.

Keeping healthy, trimmed ends can actually thicken the appearance of the hair. Hot oil treatments and rollersetting are great as thickeners also.

The best things to do are to tighten up your regimen, and not to think about the length for a while. Come up with some easy, fun, pretty protective styles. Lastly, don't even check length as often (hard, I know).

Back