No, seriously how else can i do a bun without thr donut thingy?

Lilmama1011

I would love to adopt the bun as a protective style and being that I will be where it's hot it will keep me cooler. Yal talking about you bored with your buns, at least you can do a DARN bun! That donut thing I can see myself trying to make sure it covered without someone helping me and I rather do it without anyone having to tell me pull more to the left or right smh. Any suggestions? Direct me to a video or something! I'm starting to believe me hair is to thin to do a bun, yal hair be looking so juicy shiny and luscious!!!(drooling) and I happen to have length. Anyone else experiencing the same problem, I can't be the only one.... :(

Leslie_C

You can do a faux bun by creating a puff from an old textured style (bantu knot out/twistout/braidout) and the wide base it creates gives the illusion of lots of hair. Fan the hair around the base (may need to pin your band in a couple of places so it wont fly off especially if you arent natural). Then loosely pin the ends around the base. It makes a big fat bun. The wide base a puff creates minus the skinny base a ponytail creates is the key. HTH!

Country gal

I use to do it without a donut. I prefer the donut. You can use a sock. Or you can just pull your hair into a pony tail and bend the ends over into a bun

Lilmama1011

Country gal said:
I use to do it without a donut. I prefer the donut. You can use a sock. Or you can just pull your hair into a pony tail and bend the ends over into a bun

Ok, I get that, I will try, and the sock I'm scared will dry out my hair I don't like cotton on my hair

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Buy a faux bun and braid hair from Sally's, then wrap the hair around the bun until fully covered.

No empty spots and no dryness. :yep:

Ms. Martina

Have you thought about maybe trying a beehive? It's a bit funky/retro and conservative at the same time. I just wore one this week to work for the first time, and it lasted 4 days! Could have probably gone longer too. I received compliments everywhere I went, and my hair was the star of the show lol. It was very easy and low maintenance too.

Here's what mine looked like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2gmLH9rYQ

:grin:

CountryBumpkin

I saw a lady on YouTube make a bun using a "cafeteria lady hair net". It was perfectly round and full and the hairnet was invisible. She had locs, though, but I bet it could work on other hairstyles requiring buns.

Leslie_C

Lilmama1011 said:
Faux bun in with a hair piece?

Lilmama1011 no you can do it with your own hair. My hair is only to the of my neck after my mini chop and I can still make a full high bun out of a puff. I'm st work but later I'll try to find a video for reference.

Ogoma

Ok, I get that, I will try, and the sock I'm scared will dry out my hair I don't like cotton on my hair

I use panty hose (just the legs). One rolled leg if I want it to look realistic and both rolled legs if I don't care about making it realistic. It is also easy to rub conditioner on it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can someone tell me why the doughnut thing is needed at all? i usually bun with my own hair. That doughnut thing just seems weird to me.:lol:

Lilmama1011

DDTexlaxed said:
Can someone tell me why the doughnut thing is needed at all? i usually bun with my own hair. That doughnut thing just seems weird to me.:lol:

It's suppose to give shape

Triniwegian

You don't need any faux anything.. If you have enough hair to put in a bun you can just bun it loosely. Don't pull the hair through your hair tie. Just pull your hair through (when its damn and at its biggest) like you're making a pony tail but don;t pull is all the way through so you are making a bun. Seems like most people do a ponytail first and then fix it into a bun. If you refrain from making it too tight it will appear much bigger.
Here is what mine look like at APL, when put up loosely vs in a tight bun.

http://http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320904_911267810135_1995085818_n.jpg

Attachments

• 341030_911267810135_1995085818_o.jpg
    341030_911267810135_1995085818_o.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG1795.jpg
    IMAG1795.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Lilmama1011

Triniwegian said:
You don't need any faux anything.. If you have enough hair to put in a bun you can just bun it loosely. Don't pull the hair through your hair tie. Just pull your hair through (when its damn and at its biggest) like you're making a pony tail but don;t pull is all the way through so you are making a bun. Seems like most people do a ponytail first and then fix it into a bun. If you refrain from making it too tight it will appear much bigger.
Here is what mine look like at APL.

I can't see the picture

Lilmama1011

I tried the southern tease and still can't get it! O can't believe something that simple, it wasn't even forming like I bun, I tried numerous times :(

Diva_Esq

I bun my hair EVERYDAY! See my avatar pic for my fav bun. Steps: slick freshly cowashed hair with leave-in back into ponytail. Secure with an ouchless Goody black ponytail holder. Divide ponytail in 2 equal parts. On one part of the ponytail, divide it into 3 and braid that half. If you need to, clip the other half so it doesn't mix into your braiding. Once the 1st half is braided to the end, do the same with the other half. You should then have a ponytail with 2 braids coming out of it. Now, take one braid and start wrapping it around the base of your ponytail holder. Hold that in place with one hand, and start wrapping the other braid around where you just wrapped the first one. Once, you're done wrapping, grab 1-2 more ouchless goody bands and secure them around the base of the ponytail to lock your bun in place. Slick your edges down with Ecostyler gel, brush them down for no fly aways, and wrap a scarf around your edges for a smooth finish. Keep scarf on 15 minutes or so. Take scarf off and voila!! Hope that helps!! See my avatar for finished braided bun. Also pics in my LHCF photo albums. Sometimes I do two strand twists instead of braids. It is up to you. All that almost WL hair in my signature pic slicks down into a cute braided bun in the avatar pic. :)

Last edited: