Ok I want my natural hair back!!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
*sigh*

I know I know it was tough dealing with it but I just need to find a good stylist to help me take care of my hair.

I'm so confused :wallbash::wallbash:

I'm not sure how it will be taken in my new work environment either.

BlackMasterPiece

In my humble opinion, as fellow New Yorker btw ;), you don't need a stylist for a thing but maybe an occasional trim and sometimes not even that. My hair has thrived beyond my wildest imaginings just by me making the decision to take charge of my natural hair care I didn't even know about hair forums until very recently.

I have a trusted stylist @ a high end salon who I let trim my hair once in a blue moon when it really needs it and that's all I let them do, even though they style hair exceptionally. This is the long hair care forum, once your hair exceeds TWA status and you have long thick natural hair, getting it done @ the salon will get you a one way ticket to the poorhouse:nono:. They're gonna charge you up the wazoo for having to deal with all that dense coily goodness.

My suggestion is fall in love with your hair, get to know it, find out its likes and dislikes, find out how to pamper it and make it feel special, take it slow at first and eventually you'll be having a torrid love affair with your hair like I am :lol:

Last edited:

RockCreak

Welllll... I definitely want my natural hair back... but that's because my hair is thin and fine. Besides, when I was natural, my hair thrived so much more. So.. my last relaxer was June 09 and I don't plan on doing another. Im not going to BC, instead, I will just cut as it grows. I plan on doing nothing but co-washing, dc, moist and air dry, braid out, buns or twist. I'll chop off those ends once I'm able to get a ponytail with my natural..:grin:

Here's a pic of my ng.....

Nonie

Val, don't make me put you across my knee... :spank:

I think you need a distraction from your hair. You seem to be at an awkward stage where you are at a loss on what to do with your hair so you're either thinking of getting a cut or going natural and next you'll want a Mr T do. There, there.

I think what you should do is get your hair cornrowed and wig it (different styles that you can have fun with), get a weave, or get braids. A do that helps you stop thinking too much about your hair or having to wonder what to do with it, will not only give it and you the break you may both need, but the low manipulation might do it some good and surprise you down the road.

Perhaps spend sometime looking at albums of ladies who are relaxed and enjoying their hair and find out from them what their journeys were like. You may find you're not alone. Give your hair a chance as it is. Then if you still feel like going natural when it's still longer, then do so. But don't just go natural because of a moment's tantrum. Go back to the whys you relaxed in the first place. Maybe that will stop you from doing something drastic and keep you focused on your goal, which I'm guessing is long hair.

Desarae

Me too... we relaxed about the same time last year.

I've managed to destroy mine since then.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Val, don't make me put you across my knee... :spank:

I think you need a distraction from your hair. You seem to be at an awkward stage where you are at a loss on what to do with your hair so you're either thinking of getting a cut or going natural and next you'll want a Mr T do. There, there.

I think what you should do is get your hair cornrowed and wig it (different styles that you can have fun with), get a weave, or get braids. A do that helps you stop thinking too much about your hair or having to wonder what to do with it, will not only give it and you the break you may both need, but the low manipulation might do it some good and surprise you down the road.

Perhaps spend sometime looking at albums of ladies who are relaxed and enjoying their hair and find out from them what their journeys were like. You may find you're not alone. Give your hair a chance as it is. Then if you still feel like going natural when it's still longer, then do so. But don't just go natural because of a moment's tantrum. Go back to the whys you relaxed in the first place. Maybe that will stop you from doing something drastic and keep you focused on your goal, which I'm guessing is long hair.
I can always count on you to lift my hair spirits and a good laugh.

I think I will braid ... that should keep my mind off hair for a minute

hopeful

*sigh*

I know I know it was tough dealing with it but I just need to find a good stylist to help me take care of my hair.

I'm so confused :wallbash::wallbash:

I'm not sure how it will be taken in my new work environment either.

I want my natural hair back too. And I came to the same conclusion as you: I need a good stylist to help me with my hair (at least some of the time). Of course while I was natural I couldn't find anyone but since relaxing I have found two very good stylists who are good with natural hair.

I was very good with my natural hair (probably better than I am with my relaxed hair) but I could never do a really good press or flat-iron. I was really good with doing my twists but sometimes I just didn't want to spend the time, next time I will have someone else twist for me when I need a break.

Welllll... I definitely want my natural hair back... but that's because my hair is thin and fine. Besides, when I was natural, my hair thrived so much more. So.. my last relaxer was June 09 and I don't plan on doing another. Im not going to BC, instead, I will just cut as it grows. I plan on doing nothing but co-washing, dc, moist and air dry, braid out, buns or twist. I'll chop off those ends once I'm able to get a ponytail with my natural..:grin:

Here's a pic of my ng.....

My last relaxer was June '09 too. I am planning on transitioning as slowly as I can also, so long as my natural hair is thriving. My hair was so happy when I was natural. With relaxed hair I have to be perfect and I can't make any mistakes, my natural was much more forgiving.

Maybe we can transition together?

Kneechay

i think you should consider a sew in; this way youll not focus on or stress about your hair while having something to play with. You can grow out your hair while not doing anything to damage it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
In my humble opinion, as fellow New Yorker btw ;), you don't need a stylist for a thing but maybe an occasional trim and sometimes not even that. My hair has thrived beyond my wildest imaginings just by me making the decision to take charge of my natural hair care I didn't even know about hair forums until very recently.

I have a trusted stylist @ a high end salon who I let trim my hair once in a blue moon when it really needs it and that's all I let them do, even though they style hair exceptionally. This is the long hair care forum, once your hair exceeds TWA status and you have long thick natural hair, getting it done @ the salon will get you a one way ticket to the poorhouse:nono:. They're gonna charge you up the wazoo for having to deal with all that dense coily goodness.

My suggestion is fall in love with your hair, get to know it, find out its likes and dislikes, find out how to pamper it and make it feel special, take it slow at first and eventually you'll be having a torrid love affair with your hair like I am :lol:

OMG, your hair is so gorgeous!:blush::clapping: Can you please share your regimen?

BlackMasterPiece

Hey DDtexlaxed!! Thanks hun! :blowkiss: My regimen shifts with the look I'm going for because I have to care for it differently with each style. So I rotate a few fundamental things:

Wearing Flat ironed Straight Hair:
- wash once a week sometimes I'll push it to two out of being busy/lazy:lol:
- condition with aussie moist
- Either pre poo with hot oil (EVOO) or mayo/olive oil/egg whites (that was amazing for my hair and helped the hair straighten) or

If doing an air-dry style:
- I'll DC with lekair shea butter cholesterol
- or a hot oil treatment (EVOO)

My current style - Pixie Braids:
- co-wash twice a week <--- LOVING that!! :yahoo:
- I will make my first DC with egg/mayo/olive because my hair is CRAVING protien, and I'll alternate Lekair cholesterol and hot oil treatments with EVOO for the duration of the style.

Hope that helped!! ;)

Last edited:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I relaxed my hair last july because after 11 months being natural my hair had become a lot to handle. Between going to school full time and working full time, my hair was taking up way too much valuable time. It would literally take me 3hours to do my hair (on a good day) and I'd still end up looking a mess. So I relaxed for convenience.

BlackMasterPiece

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I relaxed my hair last july because after 11 months being natural my hair had become a lot to handle. Between going to school full time and working full time, my hair was taking up way too much valuable time. It would literally take me 3hours to do my hair (on a good day) and I'd still end up looking a mess. So I relaxed for convenience.
:yep: I know all about it. It used to take me @ least 3 hrs too untill I discovered mini braids and mini twists via the lovely ladies on fotki. Now that I have my pixie braids in I have wash and go natural hair for the first time in my life.

When it comes to natural hair, where theres a will, theres a way. I knew I was going away to school and I needed a low maintenance wash and go style and I found it because I was determined. When I was transitioning and would get frustrated and annoyed I still pushed forward because I was dedicated to being natural.

So this was a good test for you and it showed you the style option that was right for you. Natural hair can be convenient and quick or it can be really involved just like relaxed hair can be convenient and quick or it can be really involved its really what you make of it. :)

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

Val, I was where you were at hair being hard to handle and it was was shorter than yours. Now that I have educated myself about natural hair, I feel this will be my last transition. I will never relax again. If all else fails, I'll be a strait haired natural.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Val, I was where you were at hair being hard to handle and it was was shorter than yours. Now that I have educated myself about natural hair, I feel this will be my last transition. I will never relax again. If all else fails, I'll be a strait haired natural.
I feel ya

I couldn't even get my natural hair straight like some of the naturals I se here. Even when I went to the hairdressers it didn't come out right. Then I would step outside and POOF!!! frizzy again