Other Races Appreciate Our Hair? + Natural Hair and Professionalism

Kneechay

So I'm actually in class and one of the Asian students starts complimenting me on my hair. She was really impressed with the style. Mind you, I'm in kinkies, they're old, I have about an inch of new growth all around the edges and any regular Black person would suggest I get my fronts redone. Nonetheless she says styles like these are super expensive in her native country and the total hair and twisting process would run equivalent of $300-$400 American dollars. She continues that it's an extremely popular style within some major subcultures of Asians.

She says the Asians really like African American hair because of its texture and that Asians pretty much don't like their hair because it's generally too straight an textureless. She says their hair cant hold a curl.

Additionally, at work, (I'm the only Black person), my boss and coworkers tend to compliment my natural hair and styles and one said they thought African Americans looked nicer with their natural hair and she's not the only caucasian who I've heard say that.

I'm a graduate student here at Texas and I've noticed that the caucasian guys approach Black girls with natural hair more often than those who are not. I've heard grown Black men say that some women need to 'perm that ish'. I've been told by mentors that the black women at law firms usually perm or that natural hair in a professional setting is a hindrance. Perhaps the idea that some of us hold that other races don't like our hair is shattering. What do you guys think?

Southernbella.

I can't really say much about professional settings, but from what I've experienced, white guys do love natural afro-textured hair. Shoot, I get a lot of compliments from black men too, so maybe everybody's coming around a bit.

Avaya

Yeah, I had an Asian classmate ooh and ah over my braids. LOL! She wanted to know where I got it done. She's not American though. I think she's been over here for a few years. I can't remember which Asian country she is from. I thought it was cute.

I get compliments from white folks on my buns and braids. Black folks criticize me for not wearing my hair out. Ha! Ha!

Naemone

I think we will get there. It just can be sad that we have to wait for other races to appreciate it before some of us even start.:ohwell:

I think we should just do us and not be concerned what may be appropriate for others. This is part of who we are if they don't like it that's just too bad!:look:

The brothas will come around, some already are, and some never left:yep:

Hairsofab

I don't know if everyone is neccesarily down for the cause as far as natural hair.

I remember a glamour article written a couple of years ago, written by a white woman, on unprofessional hairstyles or inappropriate hairstyles to get ahead at work, and an afro and dreadlocs where two of the unacceptable styles. I remember it caused a big uproar. I think a lot of white people don't like braids, locs, twists but they would not say it to your face for fear of being called racist.

I had more compliments on my natural hair (loose and locked) than I EVER did when I was relaxed.
WE are the ones who have issues with the natural state of our hair. Until WE get over those issues, it won't matter what any other race says or thinks, whether they "approve" or "not".

ajoyfuljoy

this makes me think. that is interesting. I have no other comment besides that but I'm glad that you are getting compliments. Makes me feel good as a kinky-haired sista even though I'm rocking weave right now.

MonPetite

In my experience having lived in various parts of the US and having traveled over seas, my hair texture has elicited the following from the following groups:

Korean men: :lick:

Mexican, Guatemalan, Honduran men: :lick:

Chinese men: :lick:

Japanese men: :lick:

German men::lick:

American Caucasian Men::lick:

Peruvian Men: :nono:

Spanish Men: :nono:

African men: :perplexed

Black American men::nono:/:lick:

Jamaican men::lick:

Samoan men::lick:

Nigerian men: :perplexed/:lick:

Black American women: :yep:

Nigerian women: :yep:

Japanese women: :grin:

Chinese women: :ohwell:/:yep:

Korean women: :yep:/:ohwell:

Jamaican women: :yep:

German women: :perplexed

Spanish women::ohwell:

Mexican women: :ohwell:

American Caucasian women: :grin:

Black women: :nono::nono::nono:

justsimply

I have had people of all races compliment me on my styles... especially my twist outs. I've even had a couple of white female co-workers and friends try to emulate my hair styles. I think that if it's a different but obvioust style (as opposed to "is that a 'she just didn't do her hair' look") our natural hair draws positive attention because it is so out of the ordinary.

JustKiya

I've been natural for as long as I have been in the professional workplace, and the only people I have ever heard even mild snark from over my hair were my black coworkers. I've had dreads that were a month past reallllly needing to be re-tightened, and I would still get compliments from the nonblacks, while black folks were struggling to look me in the eye, and not at my head. *shrug*

I've always believed we have more issues with our natural hair than others do, and I've always suspected that the others who do have issues have picked it up from us.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I think it's a 'the grass is always greener' scenario. People with straight hair want curly and curly folks want straight.

As far as professionalism and natural hair - it comes down to the woman, the hairstyle and her overall style. Regardless of the unPC-icity of it - every face cannot pull off every hairdo (natural or not) and every outfit/accessory combo doesn't necessarily work folks overall style.

It's exactly the same situation as when you see those H.A.M. club pics. There are lots of folks who go to work everyday wearing stuff that makes no logical sense. Add a misguided hair do and the chorus of "Girl Bye" will ring out into the cosmos.

Muse

i do think white people are more comfortable with our texture than most of us are. and i know that white men really dig it.

They sure do! My BF is white and he does not mind my hair natural at all. Sometimes I look in the mirror and go ugh! but he will look at it and say wow your hair looks really cool and I'm like huh!? He says if he was that into stick straight hair he would date an asian.

I think we are much harder on ourselves and each other. I absolutely HATE it when black MEN tell a black woman she needs to relax her hair. It's ok to have a preference but don't imply I'm jacked up because my hair's not straight. No one ever tells those white girls who constantly wear those messy unbrushed or combed buns they look a HAM (and a lot of times they do!) Other races do think our hair is cool when will we?

ETA: I am not implying we need to all go natural because I flat iron regularly but I think we should straighten/relax because we like to wear our hair like that not because we feel everyone is looking at our natural hair in disgust.

Last edited:

Southernbella.

As far as professionalism and natural hair - it comes down to the woman, the hairstyle and her overall style. Regardless of the unPC-icity of it - every face cannot pull off every hairdo (natural or not) and every outfit/accessory combo doesn't necessarily work folks overall style.

This is a great point.:yep: I think it's less about the state of our hair (natural vs. relaxed) and more about the style. I'm sure nobody in Corporate America would care if you wore some neat two strand twists or a neat bun or updo, but if you walked in there with a free-form fro, it would be deemed innappropriate.

Muse

In my experience having lived in various parts of the US and having traveled over seas, my hair texture has elicited the following from the following groups:

OMG! I love how you used the smilies!!! It is very interesting to see which races loved it and which ones didn't. Unfortunately the reaction from AA women is no surprise. Sometimes I will approach some black women and whether my hair's natural or straight I notice their eyes on my hair as I talk to them and not on my face. I find that a bit disturbing. I honestly feel uncomfortable being around a lot of black people when my hair is not straight.

jennboo

LOL! Loves it....

BostonMaria

Love the smilies!

Most of my Dominican friends ask me to straighten my hair :lachen:Not necessarily perm, but keep it straight

My Asian friends talk about getting a perm and making their hair curly like mine. I tell them don't do it! :nono:

I get no attention from any race with my curly hair! Epic Fail! :blush::spinning:

RedVelvet310

So I'm actually in class and one of the Asian students starts complimenting me on my hair. She was really impressed with the style. Mind you, I'm in kinkies, they're old, I have about an inch of new growth all around the edges and any regular Black person would suggest I get my fronts redone. Nonetheless she says styles like these are super expensive in her native country and the total hair and twisting process would run equivalent of $300-$400 American dollars. She continues that it's an extremely popular style within some major subcultures of Asians.

She says the Asians really like African American hair because of its texture and that Asians pretty much don't like their hair because it's generally too straight an textureless. She says their hair cant hold a curl.

Additionally, at work, (I'm the only Black person), my boss and coworkers tend to compliment my natural hair and styles and one said they thought African Americans looked nicer with their natural hair and she's not the only caucasian who I've heard say that.

I'm a graduate student here at Texas and I've noticed that the caucasian guys approach Black girls with natural hair more often than those who are not. I've heard grown Black men say that some women need to 'perm that ish'. I've been told by mentors that the black women at law firms usually perm or that natural hair in a professional setting is a hindrance. Perhaps the idea that some of us hold that other races don't like our hair is shattering. What do you guys think?

I do absolutely agree with you.. I know a lot of white poeple that genuinely like my hair natural (I can tell from the ones who are just try to 'be nice':rolleyes:). And I think East Asians (some ofc) REALLY like African 4a/b hair. Just yesterday I was at the mall and I saw this Asian girl with a FULL OUT 4B AFRO... she looked HOT. It must have something to do with "you always want what you can't have naturally". Some people with straight hair was curly/kinky hair, some people with curly/kinky hair want straight hair.

jennboo

I have a theory...LOL

So, people are asserting that some cultures seem to be very accepting and actually like our hair on us.

I think this may be because they are so used to seeing their own with straight hair, when they see it on black women its no big whoop.

And, i suspect i'll get hell for this statement, but...

Im thinking that when they see black women with straight hair, it doesnt look any better than the straight hair on a white woman's head (likely looks worse bc it isnt naturally like that).

so...kinky hair is something fresh, new, and different...and because it is what naturally grows out of our heads, it looks good by default.

...im obviously rambling, LOL, stream of consciousness...

LynnieB

That ^^ had me roflmbo. :lachen::lachen: and a :lach en: to you.

Time to go before I hurt something important......

:lachen:

Melissa-jane

my husband is english and has helped me transition about three times now, he loves my texture but also like my hair straight, natural is best because i can have both.

mamauv2

It seems that natural hair is beginning to be trendy as of late. Commercials, magazines, fashion shows, sew-ins to look natural, it's really everywhere. The sad thing is that people will rock a temporary style because they don't believe their hair can do that. It's really sad.

cmperez

My boyfriend prefers mine natural (he's white) even when I think it's looks dried out and nappy.

Kay.Dee

I can't say if other races appreciate it more but

I think that if a white person doesn't appreciate natural hair, they have enough sense to keep their comments to themselves.

Black people seem to not care at all and give unsolicited advice as to what you should do to your hair.

I've gotten positive comes from all races, but I will say all of the negative comments were from African Americans.

Last edited:

Avaya

With some white folks, I don't think the "I love your hair!" is always sincere but rather a form of reaction formation. I think they would probably literally kill themselves if they woke up with natural 4a/b hair. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. :look:

jennboo

With some white folks, I don't think the "I love your hair!" is always sincere but rather a form of reaction formation. I think they would probably literally kill themselves if they woke up with natural 4a/b hair. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. :look:

Oh, i def. agree with this. I think some like the look on us, but would not like it on themselves.

cmperez

I know right?! :lachen:

Tarae

I'm not natural but I can say the younger Asian's I've met do seem to love our hair. I have a lot of Asian friends and when we go to a particular restaurant, they always comment on the waitresses' hair. The waitresses have natural, type 3ish hair. When I wear braid/twist outs, they love it. They're always telling me I should wear my hair like that more often. Come to think of it, I've never really heard them compliment type 4 hair (except when my friend, who's natural 4b, wore a braid out).

Now, their parents and grandparents? :nono::nono: Do not like.