OVATION DISCOURAGEMENT

kjeneen

OK, so before signing on I did all of the research, stalked all of the (member) pages, and counted up the cost of all of the cons, but after 3 weeks of using Ovation and still experiencing shedding I am starting to grow concerned and discouraged. Here's is my regimen:

• Wed. - Sat.: Apply OCT to scalp only for 1-2 hours, or overnight (if possible)
  • After which, I cowash out using either Hello Hydration HH or LTR, and airdry with Rusk Smoother, Aloe Vera gel and raw shea butter oil.
  • (Weekends Only) Pre-poo, poo, protein treatment, dc under dryer. This leaves my hair strong, soft and most of all SHED-FREE:grin:. but no sooner than Wednesdays application hits, I'm back to shedding:nono:.
The shedding is maddening:wallbash:. As a matter of fact the ONLY reason I have not completely stop using OCT is because I have noticed a growth spurt and have NOT noticed any thinning spots. But I thought the shedding was supposed to stop after the first week. Anyone else experiencing this??:perplexed

sqzbly1908

Hello Friend - it is pretty much a case by case basis - some people never experienced shedding, others excessive shedding but all with growth results - you want to allow time for your hair to get acclimated to the product at least 3 months - as the old hair is shedding out to prepare for the new growth -

HTH -

crazydaze911

I experienced shedding for a long time - probably the 3 months mentioned above, and i only used it TWICE A WEEK. It FINALLY got better, but i dont think i've seen much of a growth spurt yet :(

Are you using it raw or mixed?

soulie

I never had any shedding, but I had started taking the odorless garlic supplements 2 weeks BEFORE I started using the MT (and later, the OCT). I stopped taking the garlic about 2 weeks ago because I was doing a master cleanse and shedding has not started.

Pamsc

Well, I have been using it for about 6weeks and the shedding is just starting to taper off a bit. I usually twist my hair every 2-3 weeks and use OCT every other night. I noticed when I took my twist down to re-do them, I didn't have many shed/broken hairs at all.

BTW, I Cowash nightly with a mixture of MNT & VO5 condish( On OCT nights I apply after I wash). My hair needs light protein daily and I think this has helped my shedding issues. I spray Infusium 23 on my twist followed by either Kids organics shea butter moisturizer or Scurl. I sometimes seal with Coconut oil. So far so good.
Good luck!

TonicaG

TonicaG
The excessive shedding was why I stopped using it. I was seeing too much hair in the comb,on the floor and when I washed that it became very discouraging. I was taking garlic supplements using Queen Helene's Garlic Shampoo and Alter Ego Garlic Treatment but nothing stopped the shedding until I stopped using the OCT/MegaTek.

I'm very comfortable using MN/sulphur/castor oil and it works just fine. I recently made up the MoeGro recipe and am reaping benefits of that.

Everything isn't for everybody, we're all very different in many ways so you'll have to tweak your regimen and do what works for you.

Last edited:

LaidBak

I got a good growth spurt from Ovation, but the shedding (and breakage) is why I laid off of it for a while. I took garlic pills before and throughout use. My hair just couldn't handle all the protein. Maybe that extra protein treatment you do is too much? I had to really focus on moisturizing my hair for like a month before it looked and felt healthy again. Now I use Ovation, but only mixed 50/50 with oil, and only on my dry scalp (overnight). Then I am very careful about using supermoisturizing conditioners and leave ins. So far, so good. Maybe if you up your moisture you'll be OK.

Last edited:

smwrigh3

I got a good growth spurt from Ovation, but the shedding (and breakage) is why I laid off of it for a while. I took garlic pills before and throughout use. My hair just couldn't handle all the protein. Maybe that extra protein treatment you doo is too much? I had to really focus on moisturizing my hair for like a month before it looked and felt healthy again. Now I use Ovation, but only mixed 50/50 with oil, and only on my dry scalp (overnight). Then I am very careful about using supermoisturizing conditioners and leave ins. So far, so good. Maybe if you up your moisture you'll be OK.

Maybe that's it.. I don't use OCT (Megatex person) but I don't think the extra protein is need.. try swapping out your protein DC with a garlic one! :yep:

audacity.

shedding is a natural process. if your hair is gowing it will shed.

and even though it's an unpopular opinon 'round here, i would say to consider the shedding a 'good' thing.

here's a good article that i posted on my blog a while ago about it. this article doesn't specifically talk about OCT but it does a very good job of outlining the shedding process and when one should grow concerned about it. it's long but a good read if you ask me.

Shedding - Hair Loss's Four Letter Word

HTH!

Last edited:

kjeneen

I experienced shedding for a long time - probably the 3 months mentioned above, and i only used it TWICE A WEEK. It FINALLY got better, but i dont think i've seen much of a growth spurt yet :(

Are you using it raw or mixed?

Thanks, crazydaze911. I've been using it basically raw with just a few droplets of oil. But tonight, I plan to cut it a bit with perhaps a heavier oil like EVOO, and coconut, if for no other real than to stretch it.

kjeneen

shedding is a natural process. if your hair is gowing it will shed.

and even though it's an unpopular opinon 'round here, i would say to consider the shedding a 'good' thing.

here's a good article that i posted on my blog a while ago about it. this article doesn't specifically talk about OCT but it does a very good job of outlining the shedding process and when one should grow concerned about it. it's long but a good read if you ask me.

Shedding - Hair Loss's Four Letter Word

HTH!

Thank you all so very much, I will certainly put all of your suggestions to good use.

Jetblackhair

I had continued shedding but all the while my hair was getting thicker!

I no longer use MegaTek/Ovation on my scalp since I'm using Henna/Ayurveda but I still do use it sometimes as a protein treatment.

I wash my hair then apply the MegaTek or Ovation to the length of my hair, leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse. I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Maybe you can use it as a protein treatment once a week followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner.

You may not get the growth spurt you want but it will help keep your hair strong and retain length. When I use the product this way I don't see any excess shedding.

HTH