PH Balance Database!

darlingdiva

I'm back I tested my faucet water and it was 8 or 8.5. :shocked: I can almost perm my hair with my regular water. This makes a lot of sense to me now my poor hair cuticles were just beggin to lay down. I bought some more porosity control but I might start apple cider vinegar rinses.

Maybe you can use chelating shampoo. I boil water to wash my hair w/ because I suspect that I have hard water. When I don't have time to boil the water, I use Kenra's Clarifying Shampoo that also has a chelating formula.

Curly Lee

What kind of pH strips is everyone using? I was thinking I might go for the pHion strips on ebay ($12) because the coloring can give more precise measurements (even if something is marginally better, I want to know), but I'm cheap and I'm wondering if I'm being too extra.:rolleyes:

I haven't watchted the youtube video though, but I have noticed that using Roux's products (specifically Porosity Control and 5-in-1 Alpha shampoo) has helped tremendously.

The PH strips I bought, which STILL haven't got here:wallbash:, were 5 dollars on ebay.

does anyone agree with the article on natural haven abt ph not effecting the hair unless its above 9? idk how I feel abt that.. I know she does experiments "& everything but why does it feel different if there's no change in the hair? =/

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Ladies ensure you are using universal test kits, that test oil and water based products. They will have three colors to compare. The ones that Kimmay uses on her videos is a universal kit.
I also noticed that 3 test for AO HSR had three different values, one in the 3's, in the 5's one 7.I think I am going to go with the poster who contacted AO.

To the poster with the 8.5 water, most tap wate is is going to be fairly high because of the minerals, flouride and other things added to the water to make it drinkable. This is why we have to use distilled water in our home made leave ins and why we have to use conditioner after wetting our hair, to help keep the cuticle smooth.

Who ever plans on incorporating ACV rinses use distilled water. This water ranges 7 on the ph scale. If you have a filter that can be used as well but test it first. This is better than using tap water which can vary from state to state or even country to country.

Last edited:

lovelexi

soooo rite-aid and cvs have ph test strips. im going to go get some and go on a testing spree. will post results later.

greight

Ladies ensure you are using universal test kits, that test oil and water based products. They will have three colors to compare. The ones that Kimmay uses on her videos is a universal kit.
I also noticed that 3 test for AO HSR had three different values, one in the 3's, in the 5's one 7.I think I am going to go with the poster who contacted AO.

To the poster with the 8.5 water, most tap wate is is going to be fairly high because of the minerals, flouride and other things added to the water to make it drinkable. This is why we have to use distilled water in our home made leave ins and why we have to use conditioner after wetting our hair, to help keep the cuticle smooth.

Who ever plans on incorporating ACV rinses use distilled water. This water ranges 7 on the ph scale. If you have a filter that can be used as well but test it first. This is better than using tap water which can vary from state to state or even country to country.

:yep: Thank you for your post because I was just about to buy a kit that was not universal (and I would have been sorely disappointed).

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
:yep: Thank you for your post because I was just about to buy a kit that was not universal (and I would have been sorely disappointed).

You're welcome.

Remember you cant meausre the oils only products that have water as a base. If you have wate and an oil mixture and you add a strip you will only get the ph of the water not the oil
Even though in AO products the first ingredient is coconut fatty acid cream. I think they add water in this base this is why we can measure the ph of this product.

Last edited:

lovelexi

I've been wanting to get the strips, but not wanting to pay for shipping. I will def. see if I can pick these up!
soooo the lady in rite-aid had no idea what ph test strips were...like huh? but w/e im going to try cvs today and if no luck there then i'll go to walmart or target.

Transformer

Glad for the tip on ACV rinses and distilled water. I use distilled in my indoor aerogarden so I always have some on hand.

jamaica68

Thanks for the info ladies, subscribing.

What's the PH balance for the following:

Tigi Bed head Moisture Maniac Conditioner
Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner
Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner

Thanks again.

Last edited:

mimi

hey ladies, has anyone one tried to tweak their daily moisturizer to an acidic ph? If so what did you add to it to make it the 4.5-5.5 pH?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I measured these and I am going to add more as I feel like. This is a very tedious job and I had to employ my daughter to help me because I was getting googly eyed after looking at these strips after a while. Most rinse out conditioners are going to be btwn 4-5. Most reconstructors seem to reach 6.0, probably because these fill in the spaces in the cuticle. As suggested a leave in 4-5 should be used, especially after reconstructors.

The relaxers you use should be based on your individual head. I use Mizani BB super because I have dense(alot) of strands on my head and my strands range from fine,med and course.

Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo: btwn 4.0 and 5.0
Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner: btwn 4.0 & 5.0
Aubrey Organics Honey suckle Rose Conditioner: btwn 5.0 & 6.0
Earthly Delight hair conditioner: btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Oyin handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner: btwn 4.0 and 5.0
Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner: btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Esencia Mandarin Citrus horsetail & wheat volumuzing conditioner: btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing & Chelating Shampoo btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Distilled Water: btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner: btwn 4.0 and 5.0
Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner: btwn 4.0 and 5.0
Curls Curly Q's Coconut Dream Moisturizing Conditioner: btwn 5.0 & 6.0
Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three: btwn 7.0 & 8.0
Kinky Curly Knot Today: btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Whole Foods Lavender Blend Conditioner: 6.0
NYC Tap water: btwn 6.0 & 7.0
Mizai BB Reg: btwn 11.0 & 12.0
Mizai BB Course/Super: btwn 12.0 & 13.0
Palmers Hair Success Penetrating Deep Cond. (DSCONTINUED): btwn 5.0 & 6.0
BPT Wheat Germ Vegetable Protein Cond. Cream: btwn 4.0 & 4.5
Ion Effective Care Treatment Int. Therapy Protein:btwn 5.5 & 6.0
Millscreek Botanicals Biotin Cond.: btwn 5.0 & 6.0
Aphogee Keratin 2 Min Reconstructor: btwn 5.0 & 6.0
Bragg Liquid Aminos: 7.0
Lutrasilk Shea butter Liquid Cholesterol Plus:7.0
Lustrasilk Organic Cholesterol (with argan oil): 7.0

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
hey ladies, has anyone one tried to tweak their daily moisturizer to an acidic ph? If so what did you add to it to make it the 4.5-5.5 pH?

Add equal amounts of aloevera gel or juice. It will all depend on how you are wearing your hair.

I use the gel for my daughters hair. I also add distilled water to thin it out or else I wont be able to spray it. The PH of the mixture is 4.0-5.0.
The one I use on her scalp is approx 4.0.

Curlykale

for the people who want to make their conditioners more acidic:

I'm not a scientist so the following informaton is very homemade. While learning to make homemade flaxseed gel I have found many different recipes over the internet and each one was different. since the gel has a high ph, many of the recipes suggested a final ph adjustment through ACV, lemon juice, aloe or citric acid.

The recipes with lemon juice or acv are often meant to be used immediately and many people state that ACV and lemon juice evaporate after a while, so their are suitable for an immediate use, while citric acid and aloe vera keep inside your mixture.