PH Balance Database!

urbanchic

Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructorizer is a 2.5:blush:
Aphogee ProVitamin Leave-in conditioner 6
Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair 6.5
Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (I heard there is a new formula; this is the old one) is 4.5
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo is 6
Giovanni Deep Moisturizer Conditioner is 5.5
Giovanni Direct Leave-in 7.0
Ion Clarifying Shampoo 5.5
Avalon Organics Moisturizing Shampoo 5
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner 4.5 or 5
Nioxin Cleanser 1C - 6.5
Nioxin Cleanser 3 - 6
Nioxin Scalp Therapy 3 -6

ETA: I'm using the Macherey-Nagel strips. Added more readings.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I got a 7.0 pH reading for this product. Let me try again to make sure.

ETA: Left the product on the strip for at least 15 minutes and still got a reading 7.0.

I have the machery nagel strips and some other strips that I ordered from ebay for $5 and I feel the $5 strips work better.

urbanchic

I have the machery nagel strips and some other strips that I ordered from ebay for $5 and I feel the $5 strips work better.

Really? What's the brand on the $5 strips?

I actually left some products off of my list (e.g. Aubrey Organics) because you had already posted the reading and I have the same readings or pretty close.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Really? What's the brand on the $5 strips?

I actually left some products off of my list (e.g. Aubrey Organics) because you had already posted the reading and I have the same readings or pretty close.

I should have said I get a faster reading with the $5 strips. I tried measuring the DC this weekend using the Nagel strips and it stayed at 7.0, which I know could not be correct.

Here are the ones I purchased on ebay. They shipped from China so they took about 2 weeks to get here. I was a little leery at first but so far they seem to be working okay. The price is now $6.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quad-Color-Wide...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3f63a03

I just retested the same conditioner using both strips and the reason it stayed at 7 is because that is what it is. I only tested with the Nagel strips this past weekend.

Last edited:

lolascurls

I got a 7.0 pH reading for this product. Let me try again to make sure.

ETA: Left the product on the strip for at least 15 minutes and still got a reading 7.0.

I think I was using non-universal strips which are just for water....lol (egg on face)
Thanks for the pH (my proper ones from Kimmaytube should be here any day now! *so excited!!*)

Lola Laughs

FYI on finding pH strips--read that most pet stores that sell fish tanks, and swimming pool supplies stores will sell them. hth

LadyPBC

Once we get the testing down to a science (no pun intended:lachen:) I would love to see/share recipes :yep:!

?? if I use KimmayTube's recipe for the leave-in will there be a problem if I use EcoStyle gel (or any other gel) on top of it (with regard to pH balance)?

princessdi

Anyone know the PH of these?

Paul Mitchell Super-Charged Moisturizer

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist

Is anything with a PH above 4.5 not good for you?:ohwell:

Rei

FYI on finding pH strips--read that most pet stores that sell fish tanks, and swimming pool supplies stores will sell them. hth

I've been to so many pet stores in philly, and it seems like they don't exist, only water conditioners :perplexed still on the hunt

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I see 2 different pH's for the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner. One is a 4.0 and the other is a 6.0/7.0. Why is there a difference?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
is it necessary for moisture condish to be more alk. to lift the cuticle and "get in" the hair?

This is my first time seeing this. There aren't any conditioners that penetrate the hair, the molecules are too large. There only purpose is to soften the cuticle to help prevent breakage.

Protein conditioners with hydrolyzed keratin and some proteins (except animal protein, this protein just puts a coating on top of the hair) others are meant to fill in the spaces where the cuticle has chipped off. They also don't get in the hair as far as the cortex.

Coconut oil, EVOO, avocado oil (all these oils do not penetrate the same) and water are the only substances as of right now that penetrate the hair.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Anyone know the PH of these?

Paul Mitchell Super-Charged Moisturizer

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist

Is anything with a PH above 4.5 not good for you?:ohwell:

Most conditioners are going to fall within the 4.5-7.0. They are are perfectly fine for the hair, however to use any as a moisturizer/leave-ins 4.5-5.5 is ideal.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Got my strips today and tested all my products

Shampoos
Mizani moisturizing milk bath 6
KeraCare 1st lather 7
QB Egyptian wheatgrass cleansing tea 7 **

Conditioners
ORS replenishing 5
QB Cocoa tree detangling ghee 7 **
KC Knot today 7
Yes to Cucumbers Color care leave-in 5
Yes to Carrots pampering hair mud 5
Ion reconstructing treatment 6.5
Mizani renew streng. recon. Gelee 5

Moisturizers
ORS olive oil 7
QB Burdock root butter cream 6 **
QB Amla and olive heavy cream 7 **
Haw. Silky miracle 14 in 1 6
Mizani butter rich hairdress 5
Mizani H2O intense treatment 6

Oils
Now Foods castor oil 7
Now Foods jojoba oil 7
Gleau oil 7
QB Castor and moringa soft. serum 7 **

Other
Lotioncrafters silk amino acids 4.5
Snowdrift panthenol liquid 8
Chi 44 iron guard 4.5
** Qhemet Biologics: Expect slight variations between batches as they are handcrafted.

Oils can not be tested. Even though the strip read 7.0, it never changed. PH can only be tested on products that have water added to the ingredients or if an ingredient has been hydrolyzed.

lilsparkle825

^^^Giovanni Direct Leave-in is pH 4.0!
Thanks. I was interested in mixing up a small batch of Kimmaytube's leave-in to see if it works for my hair, but the store was out of KCKT and all I have left as far as leave-ins (I usually just use my HE HH as one) is Giovanni Direct. Yay!