**PICS** & REVIEW: QOD OrganiQ Keratin Treatment on WL Natural Hair

luckiestdestiny

Sigh. Subscribing (in protective mode...thinking of doing this on my bangs....again...well I did a BKT but this doesn't seem to be one as it appears formaldaheyde free from my research so far)...perhaps I'll take the leap and do a test.. After all my wedding is coming up, and will be in a humid Country so regardless of if I wear it straight or curly I want to have less frizz:grin:

Dove56

Sigh. Subscribing (in protective mode...thinking of doing this on my bangs....again...well I did a BKT but this doesn't seem to be one as it appears formaldaheyde free from my research so far)...perhaps I'll take the leap and do a test.. After all my wedding is coming up, and will be in a humid Country so regardless of if I wear it straight or curly I want to have less frizz:grin:

Hi Luckiestdestiny,

This treatment is cysteine based so it is not technically a "keratin" treatment. The cysteine treatments are safe for pregnant women and children since they don't produce any toxic fumes.

Keratin is comprised of cysteine protein and under high heat the cysteine actually aids in temporarily restructuring the bonds in the hair (doesn't break them like a relaxer) . The cystein doesn't put a coating over the hair either. Over time the cysteine is gradually released from the strand and the hair returns to normal.

Chi Enviro Smoothing (soon to be performed at J.C. Penney's salons nationwide), Keratin Earth, Easy Keratin, and QOD Max Organiq are just some of the treatments that are cysteine based. I love them so much better than the traditional BKTs. These 2nd generation "keratin" treatments are great for people like me that refuse to play in formeldahyde, not even 0.02 percent.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Hi Luckiestdestiny,

This treatment is cysteine based so it is not technically a "keratin" treatment. The cysteine treatments are safe for pregnant women and children since they don't produce any toxic fumes.

Keratin is comprised of cysteine protein and under high heat the cysteine actually aids in temporarily restructuring the bonds in the hair (doesn't break them like a relaxer) . The cystein doesn't put a coating over the hair either. Over time the cysteine is gradually released from the strand and the hair returns to normal.

Chi Enviro Smoothing (soon to be performed at J.C. Penney's salons nationwide), Keratin Earth, Easy Keratin, and QOD Max Organiq are just some of the treatments that are cysteine based. I love them so much better than the traditional BKTs. These 2nd generation "keratin" treatments are great for people like me that refuse to play in formeldahyde, not even 0.02 percent.
Great info. I was a little nervous because I did a BKT on a test area on my bangs only and ended up cutting my bangs until it was all out (breakage galore but the ladies were telling me I needed more moisture in my routine, etc. At the time I just cut it out and KIM...deciding never to do one again after cutting it all out (I mean it was my bangs so I keep them cut the same length so after a while it was all out, even though I'm sure it would've washed out as well)...plus I was a little concerned about the formaldehyde.

Good to know this is completely different.

Also good to know it doesn't "coat" the hair. I felt like moisture didn't get into that area (again maybe I needed even more than normal but I'd like to do my normal cowash routine without problems).

Feeling so much more excited about this.

Last edited:

ManeStreet

I did the qod treatment the other day but it didnt do anything. no noticable results. my curls were a tiny bit looser and it was a little bit easier to blow dry but it definately did not blowdry straight. maybe i should have done more passes. I'm going to try it again. not sure why it didnt take. oh and my hair is still puffy and frizzy after i blowdried.

ManeStreet

Trying again today. with smaller sections when i flatiron and i dont think my heat was high enuf last time

biancaelyse

I bought a bottle of the max white and will be trying it out today as well.

Please post pics!! The max white is supposed to really, really straighten your hair compared to the Organiq.

I am doing round 2 on my kids since it has been 4-5 months. I need to post pics!!

biancaelyse

I did the qod treatment the other day but it didnt do anything. no noticable results. my curls were a tiny bit looser and it was a little bit easier to blow dry but it definately did not blowdry straight. maybe i should have done more passes. I'm going to try it again. not sure why it didnt take. oh and my hair is still puffy and frizzy after i blowdried.

Sorry it didn't take. Did you shampoo your hair really well with a clarifying shampoo before application? Did you use a sulfate/sodium free shampoo to wash it out afterwards? Possibly more passes were needed to achieve the level of straightening that you were seeking.

ManeStreet

It took two days but i did my 2nd treatment. havent washed out the qod yet. gonna wait another day. see avatar took it today

ManeStreet

Went great. it worked this time. it took me from a 3c/4a to a 3c/3b. not too drastic. its Alot easier to detangle and it looks shinier and my braidout came smoother. Was definately worth even tho the process was long and tiring. will def do it again

ManeStreet

I cowashed today and it was a breeze. Absolutely no tangles, I didnt even need a comb to detangle or part. I could just use my fingers. My hair was even better this time i washed. I am very happy.

beanie44

I have a few questions about this process:

1. I have highly porous color treated 3c on the crown and 4a all the way around parimeter with 3c at my nape, if you have done this to your hair in the humid summer months did you wear your hair straight and if so did you need to add some moisture block to keep hair from frizzing up?

2. When you applied it in the winter did you have to add extra moisture due to hair being drier because of the protein?

3. Can you recommend the one that might work better with my hair attributes.

4. I don't use a blow dryer on my hair at all, is it needed for this process to work?

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks

biancaelyse

beanie44 I'll tell you what I know but since my kids don't have color treated hair, it may not be the same for you.

I have a few questions about this process:

1. I have highly porous color treated 3c on the crown and 4a all the way around parimeter with 3c at my nape, if you have done this to your hair in the humid summer months did you wear your hair straight and if so did you need to add some moisture block to keep hair from frizzing up?

Hair remained straight in the summer (I live in a dry climate though)
No extra moisture block needed at all. If anything, less leave ins and oils were needed.

2. When you applied it in the winter did you have to add extra moisture due to hair being drier because of the protein?

Hair is not dry in the winter either so no extra moisture needed

3. Can you recommend the one that might work better with my hair attributes.

I would suggest going to the vendor I used www.keratin4u.com and either calling the toll free number or emailing them to ask if the OrganiQ can be used on color treated ethnic hair. That is the product that I use and they are very helpful.

4. I don't use a blow dryer on my hair at all, is it needed for this process to work?

The product is heat activated so I would definitely suggest that you blow dry and then flat iron per the instructions to get the best results.

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks

ManeStreet

Its still going strong. very happy with it. not sure how long the first treatment will last but it hasnt worn off yet. its faster to detangle, easier to wash & go. no more single strand knots. i went from 3c/4a to 3b/3c

Louisex3

Sorry, really stupid question here but,
What exactly is a BKT? I know i know, i could use the search feature on the forum, but you ladies seem to know your stuff.
I know it stands for brazillian keratin treatment, and that's as far as my knowledge goes..

virtuenow

Louisex3 BKT is some kind of keratin (protein) treatment that coats the hair like a conditioner. While its drying, you blowdry and straighten with really high heat and alot of passes w/flat iron. This lock the treatment into the strand. Since the hair is coated w/the treatment, you supposedly enjoy straight hair free of heat damage. This coating wears off after about 4months, and then your hair reverts back to the natural curl that you had pre-treatment.

ManeStreet

ok so now i am starting to miss my real curls.... really I'm just starting to wonder if they are actually still under there, lol. I will probably wait another month then wash with a clarifying sulfate shampoo and see whats really going on. I hope I don't have a bunch of heat damage. But I actually haven't used a flatiron since I did the trreatment. I've gotten gotten a few roller sets but to direct heat. We'll see. Kinda nervous...

Louisex3

virtuenow's thank you!
Kinda sitting on the fence whether i should try this or not, heard mixed reviews
but the ops dd has got me falling in love!

ManeStreet

I loved my QOD, I've been getting roller sets since I had it. Well the weather warmed up so I decided to wash it out so I could wear my natural hair and I had no problems. I washed 4 times in a row with suave daily clarifying shampoo then I deep conditioned and my natural hair curl pattern is back. When I was washing it I could smell the QOD washing out. After the 3rd wash I could see my hair getting curlier. I'm very happy I will definately do it again in the future.

Mocha5

biancaelyse
ManeStreet

Thanks so much for the reviews ladies. My bottle of QOD came yesterday (smallest bottle I've ever seen). :lol: but I didn't want to cough up $200 without trying it out first. But like the directions said, a little goes a long way. They even suggest to add a little milk if you think you are running low.

It's official: I'M IN LOVE! :yep: I still have the treatment in. Since I'm about a 4b, I figured I'd go the entire 48 hours. Think I'm going to do my daughter's hair. The bottle supposedly contains 2 applications. I don't know though...might have to add milk. :look:

Thanks again, ladies! :grin:

biancaelyse

@biancaelyse
@ManeStreet

Thanks so much for the reviews ladies. My bottle of QOD came yesterday (smallest bottle I've ever seen). :lol: but I didn't want to cough up $200 without trying it out first. But like the directions said, a little goes a long way. They even suggest to add a little milk if you think you are running low.

It's official: I'M IN LOVE! :yep: I still have the treatment in. Since I'm about a 4b, I figured I'd go the entire 48 hours. Think I'm going to do my daughter's hair. The bottle supposedly contains 2 applications. I don't know though...might have to add milk. :look:

Thanks again, ladies! :grin:

Mocha5

So Glad it worked for you!!

Louisex3

I wanna try this, but the whole formaldehyde thing is scary,
and on their website they seem relcutant to market their product as formaldehyde free and i'm nott too sure why :s

Kurlee

I wanna try this, but the whole formaldehyde thing is scary,
and on their website they seem relcutant to market their product as formaldehyde free and i'm nott too sure why :s

that's what throws me off. I have researched the oxoacetamide carbocysteine which is synonymous with glyoxyloyl carbocytsteine. Carbocysteine is basically harmless, but some aldehydes are VERY toxic and others are virtually harmless. This particular aldehyde behaves LIKE formaldehyde but is structurally a little different. I am making the assumption (forgive me, it's been a minute since I studied Chem) that "glyoxyloyl" is kinda like glyoxylic acid or glyoxal and these acids appear to be pretty harmless in the concentrations they would most likely be in, in these formulas. My concern is when heat is applied, what does it decompose into? Like I said before, I wish these companies would just be straight forward, especially since there was such a scandal the first time. I'm still in the wait and see club.

Last edited:

lexlioness

Bought the bottle of QOD Max Organiq, going to try it this weekend! I'm currently a little past shoulder length, 3b/c, color treated... let's hope it takes well for my wedding!! woo. :)

Long time lurker, finally decided I'd join. *waves*

Louisex3

welcome lexlioness :D

and Kurlee woww, barely understood any of that! went straight over my head lol.
but you sound like you know a little bit more about it than me.
but yess, i've joined the 'wait and see' club too.