Post your Twist Regimen here, please!

LadyPaniolo

I want to try wearing twists. As I have not worn them before, I'm totally and utterly clueless. I tried twisting by hand but the results :nono: so I bought this little doohicky (see pic) that makes them by spinning each section independently, and then twisting the two sections around one another. It's similar to the Igia Twist a Braid (remember that?)

1. When you put in your twists, what size should they be?

2. Do you moisturize them while they are twisted up or DC beforehand and after you take them down DC again?

3. What products work best on twists? Do you use heavy products while putting them in and then use water-based to maintain them?

4. How long do you leave your twists in?

5. How do you style your twists? I can't leave them hanging down as my ends will get beat up.

Please feel free to include any helpful tips, tricks of the trade etc that would be helpful for me to know. I'm trying to reduce my dependence upon fake hair, and I think wearing twists might help me with that.

LadyPaniolo

I forgot to include the pic of the twist maker doohicky. Got it on ebay for less than $7. I don't know how well it works, but at least I won't be bankrupted if it's worthless.

Attachments

• twist_maker.jpg
    twist_maker.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 21

cocosweet

When I twist, I make sure my parts don't exceed 1" in width. I think my twists are more versatile when I keep them on the smaller side and smaller twists seem to look better for a longer period of time.

I moisturize with a leave in and vegetable glycerine while my hair is twisted. I DC prior to putting them in and upon removal.

I avoid beeswax based products because they can be difficult to wash out if you get heavy handed with product.

I twist my hair about every 2 weeks. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll touch up the perimeter and crown for week 2 but they've got to go by the end of week 3.

I'm currently using:
Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner as a leave in mixing it with BT and glycerine.

My hair has a good amount of kink so I can omit products for hold but sometimes I'll use Fantasia IC Gel with Sparkelites. It provides hold without the crunch.

I alternate between Lustrasilk Cholesterol Conditioner and Aubrey GPB conditioner as leave ins.

I style my twists in a bun, as a single braid, or a ponytail.

hth

Last edited:

MsBoinglicious

I'd say medium small fits well for me. The parts are 1/2" by 1/2"

2. Do you moisturize them while they are twisted up or DC beforehand and after you take them down DC again?

Yes I moisturize the ends and oil the scalp every other day. If I plan to be in twist for a month I will deep condition with them in each week and take one down retwist it and move on to the other one. They start to frizz/matt after a week so I have to redo them often. I keep the twist in while deep conditioning because keeping the parts in my hair makes the retwist go faster.

3. What products work best on twists? Do you use heavy products while putting them in and then use water-based to maintain them?

I use Sheabutter, olive/coconut oil and a lil eco gel.

One week no longer than that (if I am not redoing them).

5. How do you style your twists? I can't leave them hanging down as my ends will get beat up.
I usually pull them back into a bun or a ponytail.

Twist:pony

Braids: buns

Last edited:

ryanshope

My twist are pinky size or smaller.

Nah, not really. i may mist them over with some rosewater or in the shower.

I use gel(Fantasia IC Brown Gel or Rusk Deep Shine marine protein conditioner). LOVE either of these for my twists.

A week or so; then I retwist.

I wear them down(my hair is around chin length or so)

Good luck with your twists!

Nonie

Not sure what you mean by when... I don't have a specific time, but I do need to be at home. I could do them in evening in mid-week or over the weekend any time of the day. I usually make them pretty small.

I don't moisturize before I put them or during the process or even after. I DC while I have them in. I never shampoo, CW or DC unless my hair is in twists or braids.

I don't use anything no my twists except shampoo, conditioner, ACV rinse during my wash. That is all I feel my hair needs.

Once I put them in, I wear them for months, redoing one at a time as needed. I can keep them in for at least 4 months without redoing. They get fuzzy as seen in the pic below but I actually like them when they look like that.

I just treat them as if they were hair so I wear them in any style I could accomplish with hair that length. Examples:

With a phony puff:

Please feel free to include any helpful tips, tricks of the trade etc that would be helpful for me to know. I'm trying to reduce my dependence upon fake hair, and I think wearing twists might help me with that.

My hair never mats or tangles when in twists but remains detangled and I think it's because I twist each strand before widing it around the other. And I do so keeping the hair stretched so the strands are parallel and "locked" in that state. I hope you can see the twist and stretch method I use in this vid.

Because of that undoing is this simple.

I don't know if not using products helps in keeping strands from matting but you can sort of see how easily my strands separate even after days of wearing twists.

While most people worry that washing will get their hair to loc, I just have to hope that not too many twists unravel.

I baggy every night and usually CW before I style my twists. My twists are easier to stretch into a style when they're damp so that's why I wet them before putting them into a style. Also if I will have any bangs, then they hang down better if I let them drip dry. The baggying and regular CWs keep my hair moisturized so that I never need to apply anything to it. To some who are used to lots of products, my hair may be dry. But it works for me.

Talking of drip-drying... When I do my twists, they are usually skinny and wonky, so I usually immediately dunk them in water for two reasons:

1. To get them to puff up a bit;
  2. To get them to drip-dry so that the weight of the water can straighten them and make them look better;
  3. When my hair gets wet, it coils back on itself so this leaves ends looking nice and cute.
I try to show this in the pics below:

These twists below are hanging down straight with tidy ends because I wet them and let them drip dry:

Fhrizzball

I try to make them smaller each time. No less than 100 twists so I'm not sure how small that is. They look medium size to me.

I work out everyday and sweat alot from my scalp so I cowash or WO rinse everyday after the gym. Once a week I shampoo and DC while in twists.

I put twists on "dirty hair" as in dry stretched hair that was in a previous style. I use a leave in on the whole section, spray with moisturizer the piece I am twisting, then apply light gel for hold. After I'm done I use a light oil to seal and smooth down frizz. I moisturize twice a day. I use a creamy leave in for the morning and a water base moisturizer before bed.

It varies. I'm getting more complacent with the frizz so I keep it in for a minimum of 4 weeks. I redo some twists during that time though.

If I'm lazy I'll either clip it up, bun it, or toss it in a ponytail. If not then some other elaborate updo. I wear it down at times or even just pin the ends under for a shorter bob. I frequent youtube videos of loc wearers and try to incorporate their styles.

If in its natural state your hair is long enough you can possibly wear your hair down with twists just hide the ends. Perhaps a variation of this. I would just do them smaller to make the parts much less noticeable. You can just skip to the end for the finish style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7QLdk9Oj88

My answers are in red :yep:

Fhrizzball

Once I put them in, I wear them for months, redoing one at a time as needed. I can keep them in for at least 4 months without redoing. They get fuzzy as seen in the pic below but I actually like them when they look like that.

I wish my fuzzies can be as awesome as your fuzzies. Even when freshly done they don't look as neat as yours. Your hairstyles are always awesome. :lick:

Nonie

I wish my fuzzies can be as awesome as your fuzzies. Even when freshly done they don't look as neat as yours. Your hairstyles are always awesome. :lick:

They can be. I think it's just the twisting method that helps them, and it comes with practice. I tried to go slowly and demonstrate how I do it in this vid. Notice how I keep the strands straight/parallel then I twirl them on their axis before winding them around each other. I twirl them anti-clockwise separately then wrap them around each other clockwise. The twirling will actually make the strands wrap around each other automatically. It looks like it'd take forever to do or seems tricky/hard but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. It takes me about an hour to do my entire head. And the cool thing is the twists hold well.

Ms_CoCo37

Thanks for posting this! I was just sitting here trying to determine which products I was going to use on my twists tonight. I think I'll moisturize with a leave in conditioner my stylist gave me and then seal with either coconut or castor oil. I can't wait to see other reggies.

I've been wearing mine down, or I'll pin them up using the Good Hair Day pins. I'm really enjoying them!

I'd love to know how your gadget works. Also, you have a gorgeous head of hair!:gorgeous:

lovegymnasts

I put about 40 to 45 twists in my hair or 8 flat twists in the front and 20 twists in the back.

I deep condition with every wash and moisturize daily.

I don't use heavy products. Water is my hair's friend.
When I put in my twists after I wash and deep condition, my hair is wet and I moisturize my hair with a mixture of castor oil and Lustrasilk.
I moisturize daily. I used to spray my hair immediately. I now wet my hair first then spray with my spray bottle mixture. I do a quick rinse (stick my head under the shower quickly) before I spray my hair.
I fill an 8 oz spray bottle with water, 1 squirt of Lustrasilk conditioner, 1 squirt of olive oil, and 1 squirt of castor oil. While I am in the shower, I spray the entire bottle on my twists. I shake the bottle periodically so the mixture does not separate. I do this every morning when I get ready. I drip dry while I am bathing.

I take them out and wash my hair weekly.

I let them hang

I bun them

I pull the front back

I put them up with hair sticks

and I french braid them