Proctive Style: Braids or Lace Front Wig?

Which is a better protective style?

• Lace Front Wig

Votes: 41 38.3%
  • Braids

Votes: 66 61.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phoenix

I need you all to help me decide something.

Okay, I've been wearing braids since October and I had planned to keep wearing them until January. But then I started thinking...would it be better to wear a lace front wig as a protective style?

A LF wig would cost $200-$400 and should last at least a year. I pay $160 every 2 1/2 months to get my hair braided, so a wig could be cheaper in the long run. Plus, with a wig I could deep condition my hair, which I can't really do with braids. Also, it would save my hair the stress of putting in and taking out braids.

But, a wig might be kind of hot during the summer and I'm a little worried about it looking fake. And I would still have to comb my hair on a regular basis, so I would be manipulating it more than with braids.

So what do you think I should do? Are there any pros and cons that I haven't thought of? Thanks for your help.

cutebajangirl

Very, very very few people are happy with their lace front. It takes alot of work to make one look good. Of course if you are talented in this area then you should be good to go. :D

DangerouslyShy

cutebajangirl said:
Very, very very few people are happy with their lace front. It takes alot of work to make one look good. Of course if you are talented in this area then you should be good to go. :D
I agree with CBG....

and the hard part is having to glue it and than remove the glue and glue it again...its a hassle thats why im wearing a sew-in..I didnt give up on them tho, i was just upset with the quality of the first three that I bought....NOW if the next two arent good quality I pretty much give up!!:lol: :ohwell:

Phoenix

DangerouslyShy said:
i was just upset with the quality of the first three that I bought

Really, you were unhappy with the quality of the Hair Systems one? That's where I was thinking of ordering from. What was wrong with it?

carmend

Thats hard to call. The LF is probably the most maintenance free "hair" Ive had. Especially now that Im using the tape instead of the glue. The glue can get a lil messy but still worth it IMO. I definitely didnt think the wig took much work to get going but others have complained. But I will say that it seems like everyone who has had issues had purchased lighter colors. I havent heard anyone w/darker colors complain, I dont think. So Im wondering if the color has something to do w/it.

And braids have their own issues like put in and take out time. I would say since its the summer I probably would go for the braids. I plan on getting braids once it get hot b/c I out there sweatin like Whitney Houston w/this wig on in the summer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

angellazette

Shy, you're not happy with ANY of them!?! Girl!

A lot of the negative reviews I read are regarding the quality of the hair. I'm very happy with mine and very lucky it seems!

I've just recently started using the glue, I still take it off daily. I was being very neglectful with the glue the past couple of days, and even though I haven't seen any ill effects be very careful with the glue or tape, whichever one you decide to use. In other words, keep it as far away from your actual hair as possible! I also use a citrus glue remover and if any gets on the edge of my hairline, it gets it out very well. I check the little glue balls to see if any strands are in them and I've only seen one or two.

I think it's a great protective style since I don't touch my hair for a week until wash day, but like I mentioned, be very careful with the glue or tape. I also went without using anything for a while, you can try that depending on your fit...and how brave you are!

Shatani

hmmm...wigs in the summertime aint no joke...you better think real hard on that one....do you really want to feel like
when the sun is like

DangerouslyShy

I didnt like the hair sys designs one because it was so thick and the hair quality was definately NOOOOT remy hair of any type indian or european...

the his and hers fit great but the temple to temple lace did not help, when I wanted to pull it back because you could see my hair...

the mjm was too small, and it was asian hair....

Kitkat

I've never worn a lacefront but I loooove braids. They're time consuming when you're putting them in and especially when you're taking them out. But if you're willing to take the time when removing them, braids are a great thing. They've helped me give my hair a rest on and off for the past five years, and have helped me to grow my hair out from some serious, obvious breakage in the center.

Would all lacefronts be hot in the summer? I read somewhere that wigs have come a long way, and don't necessarily trap heat in the scalp. Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

czyfaith77

I agree with KitKat. I absolutely love braids! If you should use braids to grow your hair out, use the Crown and Glory Method. I grow about two or three inches of new growth with each cycle of braids. A useful product while wearing the braids were Infusium 23 leave in.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
CurlyCrly said:
I think a wig, of any kind, would be healthier than braids.

I agree CurlyCryly. :up: Braids can cuase stress along the hairline (which is the most fragile hair on our heads). :yep: Weither if the braids are done tight or not.

I did the BC and I will be sporting wigs next month. In the past, I wore wigs for a full year and the re-growth was awesome!! :shocked: The heat was stored inside of the wig cap and the wig.

Phoenix

Thanks for your feedback, everyone

czyfaith77 said:
I agree with KitKat. I absolutely love braids! If you should use braids to grow your hair out, use the Crown and Glory Method. I grow about two or three inches of new growth with each cycle of braids. A useful product while wearing the braids were Infusium 23 leave in.

That's what I'm doing now. I'm wearing Senegalese twists and using Infusium as a leave in. I'm getting a lot of growth, but I'm also worried that my hairline is looking a teeny bit thin. Just in case I took out the twists at my hairline and have been using ORS Temple Serum.

kbfluff

I don't know what a lace front is, but I heard you have to put foundation of the front part of it to hide the lace...no thanks...correct me if I'm wrong though.
Anyways, I vote the braids. I do my own braids. I section off my hair first with little black rubberbands. This makes the braiding fast and easy. Also I make 1 inch box sections with my braids which also ensures that my own hair does not get too much tension.

I love braids because I can wash them, put leave in conditioner on them spray Surge 14 on my roots and feel my NG. all this with also knowing that my hair is protected for the most part.
Actually I would stay in braids if I didn't get the wear your hair out itch so much...but not this year! I am on a mission.

FYI: I am relaxed 4a/b with 3b on my nape area...yeah thats weird.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I think braids would be healthier. You have access to your scalp. You can wash your hair and regularly moisturize your hair and scalp. I'm not even going to act like I know everything about the LF wig, but I'm just imagining that that glue can't be good your your hairline either. Well, I hope this helps...

baby42

hi i have two lace front wigs and never wore them:wallbash:they are very pretty but i didnt want to not moist my hair every day so i braid my own hair and just found a wig that looks like a lf but isnt and it looks like your real hair i will be rocking it all winter. glad i found it:nono:i didnt want to give up good hair care for my LF. wish i had found this kind of wig before i spend all that money on these real LF:blush::lachen:I DIDNT THINK I COULD GO WITH OUT MOISTURIZER EVERY DAY AND DEEP CON EVERY WEEK END:yep:DONT WANT ANY HAIR SET BACKS:yep:

AtlantaJJ

I love my lace front as a potective style. I use bobby pins and take it off every night to do my treatments and workout...I won't wear braids anymore due to traction alopeica and I'm saving a gip compared to when I was weaing micro braids and I have gotten 4 cute styles over time and this spring I'm going to get the fly tight curly which matches my texture.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

hi i have two lace front wigs and never wore them:wallbash:they are very pretty but i didnt want to not moist my hair every day so i braid my own hair and just found a wig that looks like a lf but isnt and it looks like your real hair i will be rocking it all winter. glad i found it:nono:i didnt want to give up good hair care for my LF. wish i had found this kind of wig before i spend all that money on these real LF:blush::lachen:I DIDNT THINK I COULD GO WITH OUT MOISTURIZER EVERY DAY AND DEEP CON EVERY WEEK END:yep:DONT WANT ANY HAIR SET BACKS:yep:
Wanna sell those to me? What they look like???

jgg

I have a lace front wig. I wore it for about 5 months. Putting it on was time consuming but It looked damn good. I am a little frustrated about the quality of hair I received. It looked great flat ironed and braided out but once it got wet it (too wash it) it would tangle so bad. I don't think I received 100% remy hair (it was probably a mixture). It does take time to put on (u don't want to look stupid) but it can be done The damage on my hairline wasn't tooo bad.
When I washed the LF I would braid it into 4 tight braids, full the sink full of water and shampoo and soak it. I would let it dry under a dryer or air dry. Apply the wig to my head, and style. Applying it does take some time and practice. Good luck. I might break mine out again (dag, I had all the fellows when the hair was flowing LOL)

It does seem difficult to find a good lace front...my beautician makes some beautiful ones tho...and she shows you how to put it on...which is great...

Btw...I do think the wig is better than braids...mainly bcuz u can dedicate more time to your own hair...

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
It's getting entirely too hot to be wearin a lacefront! :lol: They seem too high maintenance and it seems like it's rare to find one of good quality. I'd go with braids

Nonie

I voted for braids coz they are my poison. I am also biased coz I do my own so it's cheap for me and I can maintain them.

As far as wigs are concerned, my worry would be your hairline. Naomi's pics haunt me to this day, so unless you have a huge forehead like me where you can make sure the wig's front is placed forward beyond your hairline--hoping you have a five head so it doesn't look as if your eyebrows migrated heavenward--then I'd be wary of it. But I don't know much about them so perhaps I'm way off. I do like the idea that it'd be cheap for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Skiggle

I voted for braids coz they are my poison. I am also biased coz I do my own so it's cheap for me and I can maintain them.

As far as wigs are concerned, my worry would be your hairline. Naomi's pics haunt me to this day, so unless you have a huge forehead like me where you can make sure the wig's front is placed forward beyond your hairline--hoping you have a five head so it doesn't look as if your eyebrows migrated heavenward--then I'd be wary of it. But I don't know much about them so perhaps I'm way off. I do like the idea that it'd be cheap for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
TOO FUNNY!

nappi

i used 2 wear braids all the time but i got tired of them

i like really being able to wash my hair

i would say go w/ the wig it saves u time/money

and i have no problems w/ my head getting 2 hot in the summer

Hairsofab

A lf wig may or may not last a year. Some only last a couple of months. You have to make sure you get an excellent vendor if you want one for a year.

Lovestyr

I voted lace front wig because you can always take the wig off and DC your hair and moisturize it. Vs braids when u take them out your hair is going to be uncombed for weeks and need some TLC to get back on track.

Now on the same note I do rock my sew ins twice a year but, I only get them three weeks post relaxer and keep them in max 2 months. In that situation there isnt that much Ng to have to tame when taking the sew in out.

Just my opinion...but, it may have sounded contradicting.:yep:

l0vethyself

Both styles have their pros and their cons. I used to wear braids in the beginning of my transisiton. It was much easier to me as far as just getting up, spraying some oil, and going about my way. Recently (past 3 months), I have been wearing lace fronts. They are convient in that they offer more options than braids. Also, it is not necessary to use glue or tape on most lace fronts. I have not had any problems with losing hair around the neckline. I also buy human hair blended wigs, which means they have synthetic and human hair. I pay about 40 or less and they last about 8 weeks or more.

aa9746

Both styles have their pros and their cons. I used to wear braids in the beginning of my transisiton. It was much easier to me as far as just getting up, spraying some oil, and going about my way. Recently (past 3 months), I have been wearing lace fronts. They are convient in that they offer more options than braids. Also, it is not necessary to use glue or tape on most lace fronts. I have not had any problems with losing hair around the neckline. I also buy human hair blended wigs, which means they have synthetic and human hair. I pay about 40 or less and they last about 8 weeks or more.

How do you make your wigs last 8 weeks? I've been buying wigs every 3 weeks.