• More than $5

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • More than $10

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • More than $15

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • More than $20

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • I'd pay more than $20 for a single hair care product.

Votes: 92 62.6%

• Total voters

Princess Pie

I often pay more than $20 for a single product. As long as it works for my hair, I don't worry about the price. I save enough money by not going to salons, and buying some products in bulk sizes.

*Muffin*

Normally I try to be as frugal as possible when it comes to the care of my hair, buying things in bulk and making my own concoctions that all serve to make everything last longer, but I truly believe you can't put a price on a good product. If I use a product that works really well for my hair and my hair is growing like a weed and has never looked healthier, I don't care if that mess costs $50: I'm getting it :grin:! I guess that's just the PJ in me.

charmtreese

Most of my staples cost more than 20 bucks a bottle, but the thing is I know they work and work well, so I see it as money well spent. I don't mind paying for quality. Cheap drugstore brands really don't do anything for my hair, and I have tried just about all of them. Also since Im no longer a PJ the only thing that I buy now are my staples, therefore Im spending less now buying my high end products then I was with my PJism buying loads of products that did not work.

mzcris

I've paid $18 for a bottle of shampoo and too me it was worth every penny! And I've paid $20 for a product by Phytospecific...if it is a good product that produces results...then I will pay!

natstar

Since I am in school, I have to save where I can. However, if a product really works and I can use it for a good while, I will pay more (at most $20 for a good sized product-luckily right now the most expensive product (Humectress) costs me $13 and lasts a loong time.

For product tools, like my flat iron, I will pay more regardless

daniemoy

$20 really is a drop in the bucket for some products. I use Phyto, which I have been using for a year and thankfully have yet to pay $60 for. It's definitely worth it though because I no longer go to a stylist every 6 weeks and pay $95 for a touch-up, trim, and rollerset.

I concur, me using phyto was definitely a choice between going to the salon or paying $60 to do it myself. When my fave conditioner was cancelled @ Aveda, I searched and searched for a cheaper product. But my hair resisted all the way. So I resorted to ordering every bottle I could find on ebay....The only cheap product which has helped my hair is Henna (for protein conditioning only).

Coffee

I will pay $20 and over for products if they give me the results I'm looking for. I am blessed with a wonderful hubby who doesn't care about my spending, unless it's a big item and then I talk with him about it. He was okay about me ordering a Pibbs 512. My sister does my hair, so I don't have any salon bills.

nappity

I'm in a position to afford this stuff since I work and I'm done with all my schooling but I am willing to pay ANY amount for a product that I think is going to work.
I agree with you cutiepie. Thats why I need to go to P.J. rehab. The most I ever payed for a product was for Ms. Jessie's Baby Butter Cream and for BBD Stretch. They are both worth the price. What I did pay an exorbitant amount of money for was for Ojon and it didn't do ish for my hair. It was lovely for her long relaxed tresses but since shes a college student and I pay all her bills I'm not about to pay for her hair care too!
But for me- Im worth it.
I remember being in college and being broke- If I knew then what I know now. I would by cheapie conditioners and fortify them with evoo and honey and co wash and buy some DPR 11 and add EVOO and honey use it as s deep conditioner and leave the blow dryer out of my hair and Id be set.

Healthb4Length

I find that quality products work for me and last a long time. If I had a dime for every time I said I wouldn't pay so and so for an expensive product:rolleyes:. Curiosity usually does it for me and I end up liking them. I took a gamble on some and was sorely disappointed (Alter Ego) but I've found some good stuff and they've lasted me a long long time, so it ends up paying for itself in the long run.

LiqueXX

The big bottles of Humectress are more than $20, and so are the bottles of Alterna's Hemp Hydrate. They work so well that I don't mind paying more for them. None of the drugstore conditioners I've used even come close to giving me the same silky moisturized results that these 2 give me.

But I figure it all evens out, because I do all of my haircare at home. I don't go to the salon, I buy the biggest bottles of shampoo and conditioner I can find because they're usually cheaper that way. I also buy in bulk when I find one of my products on sale.

This is exactly how I do things. I buy in bulk once or twice a year (liter or bigger bottles of Elucence, Kenra, Rusk, Silcon Mix, etc.). I have not been to a salon in years and figure if I went every two weeks I would be paying $100 or so dollars a month.

Ntrlmystik

Since I am single without a family, right now I am at leisure to buy whatever I want. I won't buy anything that I cannot maintain though...So if its $20.00 for a weeks supply. Its not for me. That is why I like Elucence...they are a good brand and they are affordable. I have family in other countries that do not buy any high end hair products and they have above average hair so its not only about price.

Last edited:

BotanyGrl

I don't have a price limit. If it's something I really want I'll just treat myself to it. If it doesn't work for me I usually sell it to one of my friends to recoup some of the cost back. Since I'm no longer going to the salon every two weeks, I don't mind spending money on my hair products. I am going to try to curb my spending in 08'. But that's after I purchase my Pibbs 514 :grin: I'm a broke college student too, but I figure you only live once!