Product Rvw.. VO5 Cucumber Melon Crush Conditioner

Peachtree

*New* Alberto VO5 Cucumber Melon Crush Herbal Conditioner, gentle moisture with cucumber, melon & watercress extracts. Claims to "Revitalizes your hair to reveal its natural shine", "Keeps color treated hair soft & manageable". "You'll have a crush on the crisp, clean scent of cucumber & melon". 22.5 Fl OZ........$1.09

Here's a picture: http://www.drugstore.com/popups/largerphoto/default.asp?pid=76035&catid=11938&size=300&trx=VLP&trxp1=76035&trxp2=1

(Pictured is the Freesia one in 15oz. Mine is a mint green color & larger. I couldn't find an exact one to show).

Directions: After shampooing, apply to hair. Leave on for 60 seconds. Rinse.

Ingredients: water (aqua), cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, cucumis sativs (cuumber) fruit extract, cucumis melo (melon) fruit extract, nasturtium officinale extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitat, thiamine hcl, ascorbic acd, panthenol, octoxynol-9, steareth-21, glyceryl stearate, propylene glycol, disodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, fragrance (parfum), green 3 (ci42053), yellow 10(ci47005).

This conditioner is not as thick as I would like (about the same consistency as a shampoo) but it's very effective. It absorbs fast & begins conditioning immediately. It has a pleasant melon cucumber scent that lightly follows u throughout the day
lick.gif

I used it for my conditioner wash. I applied it to my "dry" hair for an hr then rinsed. My wet hair was super soft, thick yet light. It turned out so incredibly well that I didn't have to follow with my usual Moisture Plus conditioner. I was able to finger comb the few tangles easily
smile.gif
. I sprayed my Nourish leave in (again not necessary, but I wanted this addl back up conditioner), added some Wonder 8 Oil, & air dried in a bun. When dry, my hair was very soft, shiney, bouncy & full of volume.

I definitely rate this an 8 out of 10. I would give it a higher rating, but I have to leave room for other (rinse) conditioners... this is only the 2nd one that I've tried thus far. Another thing, I have to see how well this VO5 will work 2 months from now. Oh BTW, the first one I tried was Suave Coconut (3 out of 10)... VO5 just blew Suave totally away
grin.gif

Re: Product Rvw.. VO5 Cucumber Melon Crush Conditi

This sounds really yummy if for nothing else but to have that great smell in your hair.

Can y'all tell that I like things that smell great?
laugh.gif

Hi Peachtree
smirk.gif

I just tried their Pina Colada conditioner and it smells
lick.gif
lick.gif
great. It left my hair soft and managable, but it contains alchohol as one of the first few ingredients. I guees it will end up drying out my hair after prolonged use
crazy.gif
, but I will use it when I want a nice fresh scent in my hair before going out. I'll just be sure to deep condition the other times.
antlers.gif

PS- I LOVE THE SCENT OF CUCUMBER AND MELON
lick.gif
!!! So I will be trying yours out SOON.
wave.gif

Hey Mly3e
wave.gif

I don't know much about alcohols, but I have read that some are actually beneficially for the skin & hair. I believe ethanol (or ethyl) is the bad one... If I'm wrong, members please jump in & help me out... I'm still learning about this myself...

If I'm using a product that has any derivative of alcohol listed in the top 3 ingredients (such as this VO5 conditioner, S-Curl, etc), I try to counter the possible drying effects by avoiding heat (hooded dryer). There's no need to apply heat to aid in the drying... I'm sure the alcohol can do that alone.

But here's a couple of websites that I always have to refer to when trying to figure out alcohols...

http://www.tomigion.com/phpshop/sun_tip4.html

ALCOHOL FREE. What does that mean?
Cosmetic manufacturers label cosmetic products that do not contain ethyl alcohol (also known as ethanol, or grain alcohol) as "alcohol free." The general consumer belief is that "alcohol free" products are better for the skin because they believe ethyl alcohol dries out their skin or hair. However, there are many kinds of "alcohols" with different names and a variety of effects on the skin. This can be confusing to when you check the ingredient listings for alcohol on cosmetic labels.
In cosmetic labeling, the term "alcohol," used by itself, refers to ethyl alcohol. Cosmetic products, including those labeled "alcohol free," may contain other alcohols, such as cetyl, stearyl, cetearyl, or lanolin alcohol known as "fatty alcohols". The effects of these alcohols on the skin are quite different from those of ethyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol, is often considered drying to the skin, is rarely used in cosmetics.

Here's another site that I often have to refer to...

http://www.tomigion.com/phpshop/sun_tip4.html

Alcohols:
A general term for organic ingredients that contain the OH (hydroxyl) group. Alcohols differ substantially in their properties ranging from water soluble solvents like isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, ethyl alcohol (used by breweries, the only drinkable alcohol) through moisturizing agents like glycerine or propylene glycol to fatty alcohols like cetyl alcohol and sugars (multi alcohols).

Cetyl Alcohol
A natural fatty alcohol derived from coconut oil widely used as an emollient and stabilizing agent in conditioning and moisturizing treatments (emulsions).

There was no mention of stearyl alcohol, but I read somewhere that it was an emulsifyer, much like cetyl alcohol. But really, I don't trust any alcohol derivative product, however, thus far, I haven't experienced any problems
nono.gif

I hope this helps...
smile.gif

I use the VO5 Pina Colada sometimes, too. I've noticed it's becoming harder to find...
scratchchin.gif

The alcohols in it are the "good alcohols". They are used as emulsifiers and lubricants.

Thank You Peachtree!
weird.gif

That was very helpful. I'm gonna look at my labels now.

Hi sassygirl125
bdance.gif

Thanks for saving me from having to actually get up from my chair. I was feeling lazy today
sleep8.gif
They sell the condtioner up here in NY. Where are you?

Peachtree thanks for reviewing this product.
smile.gif
I hope I can get it here in the UK because I'd love to try it.
smile.gif

Peachtree,

Thanks for the review. I love cucumber and melon together as an aroma...just delightful. At that price, I think I will see if it is offered here..have never seen it around and try as a regular conditioner.

Same here with the Suave Coconut in the Naturals line...just a dreadful experience. Like **where** is the conditioning? But, with that Sun-Ripened Raspberry by Suave, now that was another story..utterly great
grin.gif

~Jade~

P.S. Definitely good alcohols. Watch out for any of the "SD"s (specially denatured)...will dry the stuff out of your hair!

[ QUOTE ]

Same here with the Suave Coconut in the Naturals line...just a dreadful experience. Like **where** is the conditioning? But, with that Sun-Ripened Raspberry by Suave, now that was another story..utterly great
grin.gif

~Jade~
P.S. Definitely good alcohols. Watch out for any of the "SD"s (specially denatured)...will dry the stuff out of your hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jade
I was actually looking for the "H.E. Conditioning Balm" when I stumbled upon the VO5. They were out of the "H.E.", & they had only 1 Suave sun ripened raspberry, but it had dried up conditioner along it's side (yuck). So I started reading labels (& prices
laugh.gif
), & figured for $1.09, i'd give VO5 a try (I love their hot oil). I'm really happy that i did
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi sassygirl125
They sell the condtioner up here in NY. Where are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get the other flavors anywhere in town, but I the only place I saw the Pina Colada was CVS. When I realized the PC wasn't everywhere, I went back to stock up.
laugh.gif
But they are all gone! Even the shelf tags for the PC are gone. I hope it hasn't been discontinued... But I like a lot of the other VO5 conditioners so all is not lost. I think Creamy Citrus is my fave. It smells like orange sherbert!
lick.gif

Mmmmmm!! You guys are making me want to run out and get these conditioners just for the smell alone!!!
driver.gif

I've never done a condition wash, but I think I might just have to try it... especially for summer...
scratchchin.gif

Yeah, My mom used to buy the shampoo and conditioner Strawberries & Cream It smell SOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOooOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!

I agree it really does leave your hair soft and manageable.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, My mom used to buy the shampoo and conditioner Strawberries & Cream It smell SOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOooOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!

I agree it really does leave your hair soft and manageable.

[/ QUOTE ]

lick.gif
lick.gif

I just bought the pina colada after trying to find this cucumber melon one. It smelled good. Cant wait to use it for a condition wash. God bless you all.

Back