Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
If hair stretches more when wet, are wet hair length checks pointless?

I have a taste for ramen noodles. why?

My hair is normal to me now. When I cut off my relaxed hair, I thought of it as my "natural hair": "My natural hair looks so pretty today", "my natural hair is hard to detangle", etc. . It was as if my relaxed hair was the standard I compared my natural hair to, hence why I had to label it. Nowadays, I think of it as simply "my hair". It just is, with no thought of what it was when relaxed. I'm no longer jumping on every "natural hair" bandwagon and my heart doesnt skip a beat when I hear about new products for "natural hair". I get and do what I know works for my hair and keep it moving. It seems like such a small thing, but I consider this a milestone.

Shrinkage has made me length obsessed.

faithVA

If hair stretches more when wet, are wet hair length checks pointless?

I have a taste for ramen noodles. why?

My hair is normal to me now. When I cut off my relaxed hair, I thought of it as my "natural hair": "My natural hair looks so pretty today", "my natural hair is hard to detangle", etc. . It was as if my relaxed hair was the standard I compared my natural hair to, hence why I had to label it. Nowadays, I think of it as simply "my hair". It just is, with no thought of what it was when relaxed. I'm no longer jumping on every "natural hair" bandwagon and my heart doesnt skip a beat when I hear about new products for "natural hair". I get and do what I know works for my hair and keep it moving. It seems like such a small thing, but I consider this a milestone.

Shrinkage has made me length obsessed.
I don't think wet hair checks are pointless if you are natural. I think they are closer to your hair length when it is straight. To me they are more accurate.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
What do you like about it?
My hair is soft and strong. No breakage similar to my hair after hard protein without the hardness. I used a combo of DCs after shampooing. My 4 something hair blow dried easily and looked relaxed after flat ironing on 350. I stayed straight for a couple of days and my hair reverted completely when I shampooed. My hair looks and feels great.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Welp....I can keep my hair in twists for about 4 weeks (5 if I'm pushing it). This may be the go-to style for the next few months.

In the year I have been natural, my hair has grown soooo much. I'm tempted to straighten to do a length check but I'm scared.

Don't be scurrred!

In seriousness, though, YES: I can relate! I was scared of that last year! I ended up getting my hair blow dried at the salon but NOT flat ironed since I just wanted a length check. She was able to pull my blow dried hair taut so I could see my hair's length. I was also able to get a trim.

No flat iron, so no heat damage. :up:

Evolving78

My hair is soft and strong. No breakage similar to my hair after hard protein without the hardness. I used a combo of DCs after shampooing. My 4 something hair blow dried easily and looked relaxed after flat ironing on 350. I stayed straight for a couple of days and my hair reverted completely when I shampooed. My hair looks and feels great.
I plan on getting this for my daughter.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
After doing the wash day thing, two hours later, I was walking around and thought, "Why does my hair feel heavy?" I patted my head and realized my roots were still sopping wet. In a hurry, I did not squeeze-blot my hair as usual, just tapped the ends. I also realized I needed a nap...

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Did you manage to actually leave them in? That was plan last Sunday but I tore those suckers out. Luckily they were dry because I had them in all day, but that was brutal.
lol. yea I managed to leave them in. it seems they are more comfortable if they are free and not smashed to my head under a bonnet

Aggie

Today I am torn between keeping my hair under wigs or putting extension two-strand twists. Not sure at all but I want to start working out again too so maybe the latter will be better. I'll think about it some more before I really decide.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
On the road to completing my holy grail hair care line-up, my next purchases for trialling will be:
  1. TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner
  2. Mielle Organics Honey & Ginger Styling Gel
  3. Mielle Organics Honey & Ginger Edge Gel
I hope the TGIN leave-in and the Mielle styling gel will play together nicely.

The ingredients for the TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner look amazing, and the reviews look super promising!

Ingredients: AQUA Water Infused with Behentrimonium Methosulfate :yep:, Camellia Cinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Juice Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Argania Spinosa (Moroccan Argan) Kernel Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Theobroma Grandiflorum (Cupuacu) Seed Butter, Honey, Hypericum Perforatum (St. John’s Wort) Flower, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pro Vitamin B5, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Rosemary Extract, Fragrance (Parfum).​

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Why do I get so HYPE about the idea of hair products that WORK? :lol:

I mean, I understand the emotion of gratitude, but I am literally HYPE right now about the idea of a leave-in and some styling gel. :giggle:

I think it's because the struggle has been so real. :lachen: If I get this HOLY GRAIL line up completed, I won't know how to ACT!

Evolving78

I have really been wanting a haircut with some vintage waves. :yep:
My only concern would be hoping that it would stay big and curly/wave all day long.
I really might do it after I grow out this dark color and go back to blonde.
View attachment 390797
View attachment 390801
View attachment 390799
My favorite is the third
I wear my hair like this. I love big soft curls and waves. Wet sets will give you a better hold. You can pin curl to keep the style afterwards.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks ladies for the support:grouphug:

I ABSOULTELY LOVE the cut and color!!!! The color is really dope. I cant wait to see what it looks like when it's curly. I plan on keeping it straight for the rest of the month or until I get tired of wearing it straight. I told my hairdresser that I was considering going back to relaxers if the cut didn't help. She suggested two things: Wait to relax next yr so that the blonde will be out of my hair or wait until July and get a keratin treatment.

I think I will wait until next yr for the relaxer. The keratin treatment is 300; whereas the texturizer is less than 20 bucks since I do it myself

PJaye

I used to do it all the time when getting a touch up. It's been years. Am I missing something? Lol. Should I wait one more day? I'm leaving my hair product free until I relax so I can only go so long like this.

I'm no scientist (or cosmetologist for that matter), but relaxing the day after cleansing and whatnot is not a good idea, IMO. As far as I can see, the most notable cons against doing it would be: (1) all of the sebum has been removed during cleansing, leaving the scalp bare and exposed to the harsh chemicals, thereby making it more prone to burning and irritation; and (2) there may be microscopic nicks and tears in the scalp from the cleansing process that may allow the chemicals in the relaxer to enter the scalp. IMO, it's best to wait at least 3 or so days after washing to apply a relaxer. Plus, there's no need to have completely naked hair for the relaxer process. I suggest that you put a creamy leave-in and a sealant on there before your hair becomes overly dry and brittle. And, unless it is a virgin relaxer application, your hair would benefit from some added protection on its length. Of course, this is all just my opinion, but I couldn't stand by and let you walk into a possible setback without offering a warning or alternative method.

TwoSnapsUp

I'm no scientist (or cosmetologist for that matter), but relaxing the day after cleansing and whatnot is not a good idea, IMO. As far as I can see, the most notable cons against doing it would be: (1) all of the sebum has been removed during cleansing, leaving the scalp bare and exposed to the harsh chemicals, thereby making it more prone to burning and irritation; and (2) there may be microscopic nicks and tears in the scalp from the cleansing process that may allow the chemicals in the relaxer to enter the scalp. IMO, it's best to wait at least 3 or so days after washing to apply a relaxer. Plus, there's no need to have completely naked hair for the relaxer process. I suggest that you put a creamy leave-in and a sealant on there before your hair becomes overly dry and brittle. And, unless it is a virgin relaxer application, your hair would benefit from some added protection on its length. Of course, this is all just my opinion, but I couldn't stand by and let you walk into a possible setback without offering a warning or alternative method.
Makes sense and thanks! It is a virgin application. I'll wait until Wednesday or Thursday. :)

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I really don't like this dusty color my hair naturally has. It's like a 1B or a 2. It makes me feel like my hair is dirty :lachen:I know I should just chill out on doing anything chemical to my hair though:look:

Found a new heat protectant combo for my hair. It's just two things and only one is new. The new one is the Apoghee Green Tea Spray (I think someone mentioned it a lonnnng time ago, but I think they just used it as a leave in), and the old one is the Silk Elements Heat Protection Cream.

My hair didn't come out as silky as it did the last time. The only thing that changed was that I didn't sit under the dryer to deep condition. I was being lazy lol

Honey Bee

I really don't like this dusty color my hair naturally has. It's like a 1B or a 2. It makes me feel like my hair is dirty :lachen:I know I should just chill out on doing anything chemical to my hair though:look:
My hair is the same color, I hate it in the winter but once summer comes with the highlights, it's ok... unless of course I'm trynna match it to fake hair, then we got problems.

I wanted to wear my real hair out this summer but the way this length is set up ... :look: Ionno.