Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I definitely understand where you’re coming from.

Lately I haven’t even had the gall to comb my hair. At all. In some months. God saw fit to grace me with fine hair that’s easily separated under water flow. Otherwise I would’ve had a giant matted mass of hair by now.

I think it was last week, I tried to gently comb my hair just to get some of my hair separated so it could dry a bit quicker. Shooooooot. It’s all fun and games until that 45min marker has passed and you aren’t even done with a quarter section of hair. Nope. I almost threw that comb in the trash out of frustration lol. Ill just let the water from the shower do it’s thing. It’s efficient to a decent degree and it’s quick.

But I find God and the Lord to have beautiful, unsurpassable capabilities of humor and well-intended hubris for us humans. I used to only dream of having hair mere inches from my own bottom, now I wake up everyday with this long tassel-like hair looking like a deer in headlights as to what I can even do...if my hair allows me to do it, but I think it’s also a bit of a learning process too. For me personally, the longer my hair gets, the less and less it puts up with, concerning me touching it. “Oh, I’m feeling a bit fancy, maybe I can use one of my heat passes and flat iron my hair”. Yeah, but it’ll cost nearly 4 hours of my day lol, and that’s if I don’t freak over my hair snagging on every last thing it comes into close proximity to.

I’ve been on the forums talking about 40 inches this, 40 inches that... “wah wah wah where my 40 inches at?”, but I’m over getting my entire self and sense of pride handed to me in a healthy dose of humble-pie with nearly 34 inches of hair every time I do so much as pass a reflection of myself.

I tried doing flat twists recently too....nah. Not today.

Don’t get me wrong, I never really imagined myself even making it this far, and I’m amazed what patience, innovation, and faith can do, but I definitely know the feeling of the unexpected turning into reality.
Great post. Thank you (ALL of y'all ) for the encouragement. I still haven't detangled YET! I don't even want to do it. Lately I have been letting it go. I've been Bunning with knotted hair. I've been over working at work and searching within.

ms.blue

Finally took out my braids, wash, treatment and dc. After rinsing out my dc, I noticed my hairline ear to ear is a 4c while the rest is mostly 4b with 4a and 3c sprinkled throughout. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it is to me since I usually had some sort of heat damaged in those areas. I'm so proud how healthy my hair is despite the breakage and other set backs.

GreenEyedJen

I went through a lot of life stuff in the past few years and neglected my hair (body and general grooming, too, if I'm honest). Over the past maybe 18 months or so, I took life by the cojones and have been working on things little by little, adding in more as time went on. I wasn't ready to jump right into my hair again like I used to, but instead of actively neglecting it, I've been keeping it in a bun. That way, I don't have to wash nor style it much.

I haven't had my hair done professionally, save for a DevaCut that I do about every 1.5 to two years, in ages. Today, I got a wash and set.

It felt sooo good to do what used to be a regular thing for me. And, I hit a goal that I thought would be impossible for me: BSB. I had suuuuper long hair when I was a child, owing to my mom's gentle touch and steady braids. I truly didn't think my hair would ever get past APL as an adult, just because I get too antsy and either cut it or wreck it with dye, and I simply don't have the patience to pamper it. I'm not nearly as gentle with it as she was. But, I think I'll do my bun and treat myself to a wash and set every six weeks or so. It really made me feel good.

MzSwift

I went through a lot of life stuff in the past few years and neglected my hair (body and general grooming, too, if I'm honest). Over the past maybe 18 months or so, I took life by the cojones and have been working on things little by little, adding in more as time went on. I wasn't ready to jump right into my hair again like I used to, but instead of actively neglecting it, I've been keeping it in a bun. That way, I don't have to wash nor style it much.

I haven't had my hair done professionally, save for a DevaCut that I do about every 1.5 to two years, in ages. Today, I got a wash and set.

It felt sooo good to do what used to be a regular thing for me. And, I hit a goal that I thought would be impossible for me: BSB. I had suuuuper long hair when I was a child, owing to my mom's gentle touch and steady braids. I truly didn't think my hair would ever get past APL as an adult, just because I get too antsy and either cut it or wreck it with dye, and I simply don't have the patience to pamper it. I'm not nearly as gentle with it as she was. But, I think I'll do my bun and treat myself to a wash and set every six weeks or so. It really made me feel good.

:congrats:
Sounds like you’re doing the best regi of all: KISS!

AlmostTamed

Has anyone noticed their hair losing body as it grows out? Whenever I blow dry my hair nowadays I can get it pretty straight and soft but I feel like it lacks the silky blowout look, it may be the products I'm using and the fact that my hair essentially has no shape to it its just all one length. My hair is currently full bra strap length probably closer to MBL but I'm being conservative so I don't get my feelings hurt when it's time to flat iron lol.

Aggie

Has anyone noticed their hair losing body as it grows out? Whenever I blow dry my hair nowadays I can get it pretty straight and soft but I feel like it lacks the silky blowout look, it may be the products I'm using and the fact that my hair essentially has no shape to it its just all one length. My hair is currently full bra strap length probably closer to MBL but I'm being conservative so I don't get my feelings hurt when it's time to flat iron lol.
@AlmostTamed, I'm sorry but I can't say that I do. My hair builds body as it gets longer but I trim my hair for thickness using the lunar moon system. It really does help with my hair.

I cut it all off because of demi-permanent damage but even so, it is already growing back real fast.

I take MSM supps everyday to increase my anagen/hair growth cycle among other things. But this I feel really helps my hair growth a lot.

My hair typically grows fastest at the nape area and so it has a triangular shape every single time, no matter how much I cut it. The nape area would always grow faster than the rest of my hair.

Incidentally, I actually love the shape it takes on as it grows. I hope you are able to get the desired results you're looking for with your hair.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
How often are you applying heat to your hair?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
:cry4:I finally broke out of prison y'all! :cowgirl: my hair is 100% detangled after 6 hours or so. I spent 4 hours last night and 2 1/2 tonight total. I was knocking on Setback's door!

In the future I don't care how tired I get I will never skip detangling ever in life. Praise the Lord.

:bouncy:

Last edited:

Royalq

Any recommendations for adding weight to flat ironed hair? Tonight I tested out a patch by blow drying and then using the flat iron on low. My hair seems too airy. Too light. The heat protectant I used was Silk Elements, with some CHI Silk Infusion. Then I added a smidge of oil before I put it in a bantu knot. But none of those things made my hair heavier/lay down. Maybe it’s technique?
My hair is like that. It's because my hair is naturally fine. So to add a but more weight I let my hair air dry completely to have texture. Then I blow dry with a paddle brush real quick just to straighten out the roots and tame the hair a bit. I blow dry on a low heat setting. Then I flat iron. One pass no chase method. Maybe 2 passes on the roots. I use Biosilk as a protectant. This method leaves my hair bone straight but with a little touch of texture to add body and weight.

WaistLengthDreams

I keep coming back to this site, expecting things to be how they used to be but everything is sooo sloooow. It makes me kind of sad because this was (imo) where the black girl hair care revolution started. I miss the days where you'd come back a day or two later and you missed out on so much. I learned most of what I know about relaxed hair care from the ladies on here. And now that I'm natural I'm left sifting through crazy youtube for sound information. sigh...

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Camille Rose Naturals knew better and so should I. I could have kept my coins for some Ayurveda herbs/oils.

Im cancelling these folks left and right. I refuse to put up with pre ordering boxes, limited edition items, inconsistent customer service. I want to support but its tiring going year after year with the same complaint while the so called company is doing better and better.

Sorry. I'm going to back to DIY for about 85% of my haircare/bodycare items.

Shescentit and QB , haven't done me wrong yet. I LOVE yall boo :2inlove:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
*sigh* because I'm always sighing....(over worked at 40 plus hours on my job praise God)

I'm 21 inches of 4c/4b hair at almost hip length (standing at 5 1/2") yet my hair stands at 3 inches past SL shrunken. I gave up on ever showing my real length. My hair don't roll like that...unless I flat iron it. My hair is so long, but no one sees it including me.

Last edited: