Relaxed 2 Natural Insanity Challenge 2014/2015/2016

SuchaLady

I dont think so. Ive never worn braid outs, twist outs, or bantu knots as a relaxed head so its definitely out when Im natural :lol: Actually it kinda makes me question what Im doing here :spinning::look:

is it wrong to say that I really dislike most natural hairstyles?

SuchaLady

Ill be one year post soon. Im like 2 weeks away.
But then there is that botched corrective from July? Perhaps I will count from there. Some days I think Im insane. But I meet far too many naturals with a good length of hair that never wear it kinky so Ill keep trying. I need a challenge.

bebezazueta

Ill be one year post soon. Im like 2 weeks away. But then there is that botched corrective from July? Perhaps I will count from there. Some days I think Im insane. But I meet far too many naturals with a good length of hair that never wear it kinky so Ill keep trying. I need a challenge.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

I will try to post everyday here. One year post is an awesome accomplishment! Congrats!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have been researching flat irons lately for when I skip the salon and straighten at home for my monthly straight hair sessions. Since I have fallen in LOVE with steaming, I knew I wanted a flat iron with a steam like effect. I also wanted one without it, so ummm yeah I purchased 2 a few days ago from Amazon. I'll come back next month and let you guys know when I use one of them. Babyliss BABTT4073 Pro TT Tourmaline Titanium Steam Straightener 1 1/5 inch Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium 1 1/4 inch As for now, I use my step daughter's Amika ceramic iron. It's good too, just want one or two of my own.

Update: I did receive both flat irons but returned the steam straightener because it had a long crack in the handle. I have yet to use the other one as well because the weather here has been gloomy, rainy and sucks butt and will probably be that way until the end of March/beginning of April. Summertime is a def no no with beach outings and pool parties with my kids. It's so crazy that now that I have mostly natural hair that I have to be mindful of the seasons and the weather and how it will affect my styles. Whoever ran around telling those lies talmbout natural girls can play in the rain shole lied. Yeah right...if you want to look like a chia pet. ****sucks teeth**** Now I can really only straighten (and it be great) in the cooler months. Ok I'm done ranting! lol Instead of fighting, I'll adjust and work with it.

Last edited:

bebezazueta

Update: I did receive both flat irons but returned the steam straightener because it had a long crack in the handle. I have yet to use the other one as well because the weather here has been gloomy, rainy and sucks butt and will probably be that way until the end of March/beginning of April. Summertime is a def no no with beach outings and pool parties with my kids. It's so crazy that now that I have mostly natural hair that I have to be mindful of the seasons and the weather and how it will affect my styles. Whoever ran around telling those lies talmbout natural girls can play in the rain shole lied. Yeah right...if you want to look like a chia pet. ****sucks teeth**** Now I can really only straighten (and it be great) in the cooler months. Ok I'm done ranting! lol Instead of fighting, I'll adjust and work with it.
aaaaawwww man! I was curious about the steam straightener too. LOL! I agree with you though. When I was relaxed I could get my hair wet with rain or sweat and it stayed straight. Now not so much. LOL! Yes and I'm also not used to having the weather dictate my hair style. Oh well. I'm wigging it so life is grand again!

caliscurls

bebezazueta, sharifeh , lulu97 long term transitioner here. I purchased the Babyliss Pro steam flat iron last year and have used it about 3 times so far, one of which was with a QOD Treatment. Here's my assessment thus far

- retractable combs on the plates don't snag the hair
- extra long cord
- 2 water reservoirs
- gets my hair silky straight without as high of heat I've had to use before for the same results.
- my hair doesn't poof right after using it....but maybe that's products too (?????)
- temperature dial

Dislikes
- wish the combs were a little longer..,but then it'd probably snag your hair so oh well. I still use the chase method with one of those special combs.
- temperature gauge is not intuitive. Ex: you have it on the 32 thinking that equals 320 but really it's 400. You have to read the manual to understand the gauge.

Overall I like it better than my previous iron since I don't have to use 450 heat to get smooth results. I generally use it between the 350 and 375 setting.

The hair pic is from December of last year after a QOD treatment using the straightener at 375 degrees. There's no way, even with QOD, I could've gotten then same results at the same temp with my previous iron.

Attachments

• image-412501581.jpg
    image-412501581.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image-3620507560.jpg
    image-3620507560.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image-811347664.jpg
    image-811347664.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

bebezazueta

caliscurls THANK YOU!

Now I'm sold! Do you think the results will be similar without the QOD treatment on air dried hair?

Your hair is gorgeous lady! Can't even tell that you have 2 textures going on in there.

caliscurls

caliscurls THANK YOU!

Now I'm sold! Do you think the results will be similar without the QOD treatment on air dried hair?

Your hair is gorgeous lady! Can't even tell that you have 2 textures going on in there.

Thanks bebezazueta ! :) I think so yes as long as you do it in small sections. I don't do a normal blow dry, but use the tension method which isn't air drying but isn't flowy blow drying either and it works out. The results were a pleasant surprise the first time I used the iron (and a relief).

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
bebezazueta, sharifeh , lulu97 long term transitioner here. I purchased the Babyliss Pro steam flat iron last year and have used it about 3 times so far, one of which was with a QOD Treatment. Here's my assessment thus far Likes - retractable combs on the plates don't snag the hair - extra long cord - 2 water reservoirs - gets my hair silky straight without as high of heat I've had to use before for the same results. - my hair doesn't poof right after using it....but maybe that's products too (?????) - temperature dial Dislikes - wish the combs were a little longer..,but then it'd probably snag your hair so oh well. I still use the chase method with one of those special combs. - temperature gauge is not intuitive. Ex: you have it on the 32 thinking that equals 320 but really it's 400. You have to read the manual to understand the gauge. Overall I like it better than my previous iron since I don't have to use 450 heat to get smooth results. I generally use it between the 350 and 375 setting. The hair pic is from December of last year after a QOD treatment using the straightener at 375 degrees. There's no way, even with QOD, I could've gotten then same results at the same temp with my previous iron.

caliscurls Great review! I'm going to re-purchase it around the cooler months. Where did you purchase yours from?

bebezazueta

caliscurls

You are so helpful lady. I'll try to find this steam iron. It's out of stock on folica.com. But I'm not in a rush. I'll straighten in July so I will try it out then.

Thanks again!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97 got it on Amazon for $62 in August but I just checked and they've jacked the price up like 4x which is crazy

caliscurls Oh heyal nall...that's CRAZY!!! lol I purchased my first one from Amazon too and it was around $75. Yeah I will wait until summer and it's really hot out. That way people wont be flat ironing as much so and it wont be in demand...maybe the prices will be lower then?! Maybe not...just wishful thinking.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Last year to celebrate making it 2 years "transitioning"....(honestly this is my last time saying this word...going back to calling it growing out my natural hair because I am not quite transitioning)...now what was I saying again?!

Oh yeah: Last year to celebrate 2 years of growing out my natural hair, I purchased a steamer and a new flat iron. Trying to decide how I want to celebrate my 3rd year (I have time to decide because it will be towards the end of the year) I kinda want a new dryer...the one that comes with an actual chair like the salons..but that's a rather BIG purchase so I'll wait on that.

Maybe a sew-in bob weave? Honestly I don't care too much for sew-in's because I can't access my scalp like I want...then I get tired of it after 2 weeks.

Maybe a few half wigs and upart wigs to play around with on my "rest" week under my beanies? Don't care too much for these either because I snatch them off after an hour

I'm sure I'll think of something by then. For now, I'm just LOVING my hair...enjoying my roller sets like never before!

How are you ladies celebrating reaching your milestones?

sharifeh

@lulu97
I made 6 months post Friday
I'm incredibly stressed out by my hair at the moment so I don't know I'm celebrating :rofl:
But I think for the 6 month milestone I'm getting that secura steamer you have :yep:
And a flat iron
I need those things for my transition

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97 I made 6 months post yesterday I'm incredibly stressed out by my hair at the moment so I don't know I'm celebrating :rofl: But I think for the 6 month milestone I'm getting that secura steamer you have :yep: And a flat iron I need those things for my transition Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sharifeh You should still celebrate...more so when your hair is stressing you out. My 6 month mark turned out to be around the summer time so I threw some senegalese twists up in that piece and called it a day! Took them down for 2 weeks and had some put right back in there!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97 How long did you keep in your Senegalese twists?? I'm considering it Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
sharifeh I can go between 8-10 weeks. If it's your first install, I'd recommend 6-8 weeks though. I've been getting braids every summer since I can remember so I'm at pro at them. lol I may get some cornrow scalp braids this summer like I had a few years ago instead of senegalese twists. Not sure yet

Don't focus on my edges...they used to be on the struggle bus back then and was one of the reasons I stopped getting scalp braids but I loved them anyway. When I'm in senegalese twists, my braider don't even braid that area so it is way fuller now! So just make sure to be careful with that area

Last edited:

BraunSugar

After 2 years of growing my hair out, my natural hair shrinks to the top of my chin but when stretched is almost APL. If you are not ready to face shrinkage like this then keep growing with me Ladies! As you can see, I have alot of relaxed ends left and those babies aint going nowhere...I keep them as healthy as I can to stick around for the long haul.:lachen:

I just wanted to hop in and say that I just trimmed my hair from grazing MBL to full BSL. My hair shrinks up to my neck unstretched. :ohwell: You might be at WL with hair resting on your shoulders while shrunken. :lol: It's an adjustment, but eventually you'll get used to it.

Happy Growing! :yep:

bebezazueta

Last year to celebrate making it 2 years "transitioning"....(honestly this is my last time saying this word...going back to calling it growing out my natural hair because I am not quite transitioning)...now what was I saying again?! Oh yeah: Last year to celebrate 2 years of growing out my natural hair, I purchased a steamer and a new flat iron. Trying to decide how I want to celebrate my 3rd year (I have time to decide because it will be towards the end of the year) I kinda want a new dryer...the one that comes with an actual chair like the salons..but that's a rather BIG purchase so I'll wait on that. Maybe a sew-in bob weave? Honestly I don't care too much for sew-in's because I can't access my scalp like I want...then I get tired of it after 2 weeks. Maybe a few half wigs and upart wigs to play around with on my "rest" week under my beanies? Don't care too much for these either because I snatch them off after an hour I'm sure I'll think of something by then. For now, I'm just LOVING my hair...enjoying my roller sets like never before! How are you ladies celebrating reaching your milestones?

CONGRATS! What a milestone! Your roller sets are AMAZING!

bebezazueta

mahogany_horizons

You are welcome to post questions here as well. Lots of transitioning experts in this thread.

Now as far as those edges, I have 4b edges and the rest of my hair is 4a with 3c at the nape SMH!

I can get my edges slick doing the following:

Moisturize with water or a liquid moisturizer

Apply a whipped hair butter and smooth edges with hands in a front to back motion

When you have achieved your desired smoothness, use your favorite gel to set it using the same smoothing motion.

Here are some pics. Side view and top view. 2 different days. I'm 6 + months post

Attachments

• image-1359339770.jpg
    image-1359339770.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image-1172783006.jpg
    image-1172783006.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 38

EnExitStageLeft

It's quiet in here. :look:

7 months post today. So far so good.

How's it going ladies?

Its going really well. My hair is behaving, so let's pray I'm retaining :pray:

I really want to make WL this year (First time in since being on my HHJ....habitual cutter :perplexed). When I reach it I will retain that length until the end of my transition. I'm in love with my curls, so let us pray I last until April 2016.

Last edited: