RELAXED LADiES: how do you prep your tresses

Encore

I tried to do a search before hand but, nothing good came up. if there is already a thread just please link me:yawn:

1.) How do you prep your hair before a relaxer, besides no scratching?
2.) I'm going from no-lye to lye, is there any extra steps i should take?
3.) How long should my last wash be, before i relax?
4.) I decided to use Hawaiian Silky Lye, but i want to hear what worked best for you and No SE, i read about that shedding:nono:
5.) the best moisturizer for your relaxed hair

TIA :grin:

I tried to do a search before hand but, nothing good came up. if there is already a thread just please link me:yawn:

4.) I decided to use Hawaiian Silky Lye, but i want to hear what worked best for you and No SE, i read about that shedding:nono:

1. I stop using BM for the week. I also pre poo with conditioner the night before
2. I don't know the answer to this one...sorry
3. I'd say not to wash at least three days before, but that is just me
4. My stylist uses Mizani (not sure which specific one) on my head
5. I love my Elast QP Mango Butter.

Here ya go hun:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html?cat=69

These articles were written by SistaSlick, a member here. Do a search and you will find a wealth of info (lye vs. no lye) on her fotki.

I almost always relax on a Sunday so:

I usually clarify my hair on Friday. I use a clarifying shampoo, spray in a protein (Joico K-Pak Liquid Protein), generously apply CHI Silk Infusion and braid her into 4 plaits.

I've always used a lye relaxer so I can't offer any advise on that.

I have been using SE Mild on both my hair and my mother's hair for over a year now and I have yet to experience this shedding that I have heard mentioned. So again, I have no other advise to offer on that.
Side note: I just purchased the Linange Shea Butter relaxer to give it a try and if I'm not pleased, I'm returning to SE. Apparently, they have much of the same ingredients instead Shea Butter is listed higher on the ingredient list for Linange vs. SE.

The best moisturizer for my relaxed hair is co-washes with Mega-Tek as a leave-in. I just started using Hairveda Shea Aloe and Whipped Cream for Ends.

Hope this information is helpful...good luck!

1. i'll do a hardcore protein the week before. or maybe a few days before. sometimes i don't wait the entire week, and have done it as early as two days before relaxing.
2. nope! well, just one obvious one: be very sure you don't overlap. and afterwards, you'll need to incorporate a bit more protein into your regimen. with no lye, you need ceramides, but with lye, you need protein.
3. the wait time between your last wash and relaxing is in place to make sure you don't put relaxer on a scalp that's been manipulated too much from a wash. however, if you base well, you don't have to wait the full week. last relaxer, i washed on friday, relaxed on sunday, and i'm not bald :grin: seriously though, i didn't even tingle. but the relaxer i use never burns me.
4. i use hawaiian silky lye! regular strength. it's a really good relaxer. hasn't burned me yet, and i've used it for the past 4 touchups. silk elements burned the living daylights out of my scalp, even after basing. ORS was okay, but it wasn't as good as hawaiian silky. i still use the ORS neutralizing shampoo and replenishing conditioner afterwards, though :yep: those are my relaxer staples.
5. for me: water! i rarely go more than a day or two without washing, so i haven't had a need to keep my hair super moisturized. however, when my hair is straightened, i like to use redken smooth down butter treat.

I just posted this in an other thread. This is how I prep my hair before a relaxer.

The night before my touch up, I put a light protein on the length of my hair that is already relaxed. Then I head to bed. In the morning before I head off to the salon, I lightly grease my scale to protect it from the chemical relaxer. I then mix one of cheap conditioner with SAA then put it on the length of the already relax hair. This helps me to prevent over processing of already relax hair. Hope this helps.

I do a clarifying shampoo and protein treatment with Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Protein Reconstructor 4 days before I relax to cleanse away the dirt and strengthen my hair.

I use Lye relaxers now and I don't do any extra steps. Just in case you didn't know Lye relaxers are more gentle on our hair but more harsh on the scalp. So base your scalp real good. Prior to applying the relaxer I use the Protecto that came with my Affirm relaxer. And then I coat my previous relaxed hair and ends with condition and evoo.

I wash my hair 4 to 5 days prior. But basing your scalp real good is key.

I love, love, love and use Affirm Regular Lye and before I got my hands on that I used three other Lye Relaxers: Mazani Mild (didn't starighten my hair, more like texterized it), Optimum Multi-Mineral Lye (I got lots of shedding and breakage while using this one) hair did not like it, and last but not least Vitale Olive Oil Lye (I love Vitale and if I couldn't find someone to sell me Affirm I would still use it).

Currently My hair loves this combo:
An even spritz of Razac Leave In Conditioner (my water based leave in)
A quater size amount of Rusk Smoother (creme leave in texturizing conditioner)
1 tsp of EVOO (gives great shine and seals)
And after my baby is born I apply MTG & Amla Lite Oil mixture to my scalp.

I do a clarifying shampoo and protein treatment with Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Protein Reconstructor 4 days before I relax to cleanse away the dirt and strengthen my hair.

I use Lye relaxers now and I don't do any extra steps. Just in case you didn't know Lye relaxers are more gentle on our hair but more harsh on the scalp. So base your scalp real good. Prior to applying the relaxer I use the Protecto that came with my Affirm relaxer. And then I coat my previous relaxed hair and ends with condition and evoo.

I wash my hair 4 to 5 days prior. But basing your scalp real good is key.

I love, love, love and use Affirm Regular Lye and before I got my hands on that I used three other Lye Relaxers: Mazani Mild (didn't starighten my hair, more like texterized it), Optimum Multi-Mineral Lye (I got lots of shedding and breakage while using this one) hair did not like it, and last but not least Vitale Olive Oil Lye (I love Vitale and if I couldn't find someone to sell me Affirm I would still use it).

Currently My hair loves this combo:
An even spritz of Razac Leave In Conditioner (my water based leave in)
A quater size amount of Rusk Smoother (creme leave in texturizing conditioner)
1 tsp of EVOO (gives great shine and seals)
And after my baby is born I apply MTG & Amla Lite Oil mixture to my scalp.

ooh the MTG has an effect on the baby?

I just posted this in an other thread. This is how I prep my hair before a relaxer.

The night before my touch up, I put a light protein on the length of my hair that is already relaxed. Then I head to bed. In the morning before I head off to the salon, I lightly grease my scale to protect it from the chemical relaxer. I then mix one of cheap conditioner with SAA then put it on the length of the already relax hair. This helps me to prevent over processing of already relax hair. Hope this helps.
You have amazing hair. I have A few questions for you...
1. What protein do you use, and what do you use to grease your scalp?

2. What is SAA?

Thanks

OK so i relaxed today.

Hawiian Silky Lye Mild
i did the hardcore protein ApHogee in between washing out relaxer and neutralizing
and then DC
i texlaxed so i jus lightly flat ironed my roots and...WOW
This is what i will do from now on, i have texture to my hair and its so buttery
Today ended my 8 week stretch and i have learned i can't go pass this because it started breaking :(

ooh the MTG has an effect on the baby?

When you become pregnant you want avoid anything that may not be safe for you or baby during pregnancy. It is important to evaluate all products that you use and eat. Mainly you don't want to risk putting something on my body and skin that could get into my bloodstream and may effect the baby and cause birth defects or early contractions. So I stopped using growth aides (MTG), essential oils and certain face washs, toners, foods and hair supplements after I found out I was pregnant.
There are a list products an expecting mother should avoid. To names a few:
Skin Care: acne wash w/ Salicylic acid, Glycolic acid
Essential oils: Rose, Jasmine, Peppermint, Chamomile
Vitamins: Fish oil from Mackrel, Vitamin A in high doses, etc.....

Last edited:

I don't mind the scratching thing. My relaxers never burn. I just add some cheapie conditioner to my hair and a let it dry before application. I then put oil on my temples (trouble spots) and my nds so that just incase some relaxer gets on them, I will be covered. Then, base with vaeline and get it started!

Not that *I* am aware of?.

I say OVER 48 hours.

I have tried hawaiin Silky and it didn't ATTEMPt to straighten my hair. I am a 4B. I have tried Dark and Lovely, Optimum, Mizani, Affirm and many MANY more. Mizani and Affirm did nothing but burn my scalp. Only thing that does SOMETHING is Optimum super. My hair just will not relax.

I use my co-washing conditioner, alternating between HH Break's Over and v05 Lavender

Answers are above.

Great thread!

Answers are above.

Great thread!

yeah my hair is stubborn also, if i was going for bone straight again, i would be very upset lol....but im texlaxing to gain thickness back for now. The midde of my hair where the ng is the thickest laughed at the Mild relaxer:lachen::lachen:

Back