Repairing And Growing The Crown Area 2018 Support Thread

GreenEyedJen

Hey ladies,
I'm here and need to be held accountable. I've neglected my hair for far too long, and I really want to get it back in shape. My crown is embarrassingly short. I'll be editing this post later today with the background and my plans to grow it out in 2018. Y'all don't let me slip up! :rofl:

Edit: Oooohkay. So, my crown area is super kinky compared to the rest of my hair, and very, very dry. I did a good enough time growing it out some years ago, to the point where it was almost in line with the rest of my hair. Then, the bullcrap started.

My hair is on the low porosity side, so it's hard enough to keep it moisturized in the first place. Couple that with moving from FL back to the chilly northeast, serious life stress, a Dominican blowout where the woman literally ripped a paddle brush through my dry hair (that was previously in a wash and go) and braids with extensions for the past two summers, and my poor crown was basically non-existent. Like, I literally have pieces that are maaaybe an inch long. Maybe. My hair in general is APL-BSB. Last time I got a trim my stylist was like "Wow, it's a lot shorter right here!" :bricks:

Since I've actively been neglecting my hair and doing the absolute LEAST (I've been W and Ging for months now), I sat down yesterday and wrote out my comprehensive plan. I'm not listing products because I have many, but I'm in the process of cutting down. I really want ONE OR TWO products in each category. This is the plan:

Use oil as either a pre-poo or an oil rinse, so either step 1 or 3 depending on mood/time;
Wash 2x a month, in five braids (Two front, two back, one crown);
Deep condition each wash, in braids, with heat;
Detangle each braid after the deep condition, rinse, apply leave-in, loosely braid again;
Plop hair for about half an hour;
Style braids by section, take out braid, place styling product, and twist or braid each section into threes;
Let dry;
Wear braid/twistout for the week and bun the next, OR;
After plopping, set hair using flexirods, perm rods, or spoolies (which I really want but don't have right now), then proceed to wear that for the week in place of the "-out".

I know this isn't crown specific, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I've been doing. I did this yesterday and already notice a huge difference in how my hair is feeling. I forgot that my hair could feel this good. It's a shame, really. I also have some MegaTek (remember that) that I'm gonna use up, and I want to try that Netwurks spray.

So, in addition to my manipulation of my hair, I am taking a few supplements. I take Vitamin D because I have a D deficiency, but I also drink Emergen-C and Neocell Collagen every night before bed. The collagen has made a huge difference. I'm so mad I didn't jump on this wagon before. I wasn't consistent with it before, and I still noticed a difference. With the addition of Vitamin C (which Neocell recommends) and my consistency, I've noticed a huge change just in the past few weeks. It's giving me Viviscal results with a much cheaper cost. It might even be better than Viv, actually. I have it on Auto-ship from Amazon. I think it's $8.79 for a thirty day supply. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Hey ladies! It’s a new week! Does everybody have a good plan for their hair this week?
Make sure you get your water in, vitamins, eat something healthy, get a scalp massage in, and be great!

Evolving78

I plan on co cleansing my hair. Edens bodyworks seems to be ok, so I will use that, then follow with a rinse out conditioner. My hair is dry, so I’m just giving it some moisture!

I’m also starting to give my nape some more love too!

I will put extra cream in my crown area when I M&S.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Hey ladies!
Make sure we are keep our nails and hands smooth! I know my nails and Hands can sometimes cause snagging. Also watch out for the types of clips you use to section off your hair!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I had my second acupuncture treatment last night. Here's to hoping it works. Otherwise I have to consider my options. There is a second, more uncomfortable option for scalp stimulation using a technique similar to dermarolling (another technique for flattening scars). Or I could combine some expensive customized herbs, but due to price, that needs to be the absolute last resort option.

Evolving78

I had my second acupuncture treatment last night. Here's to hoping it works. Otherwise I have to consider my options. There is a second, more uncomfortable option for scalp stimulation using a technique similar to dermarolling (another technique for flattening scars). Or I could combine some expensive customized herbs, but due to price, that needs to be the absolute last resort option.
I may look into finding an acupuncturist later this year! Right now I’m using Rogaine to see if it will help. There is an herbalist that I may reach out to as well. She has helped others with different ailments and conditions. Would you use the electric scalp massager before using the dermaroller? I know massaging may help stimulate blood flow and help in facilitating breaking up scarred tissue, but it isn’t as aggressive as a dermaroller as far as smoothing out the skin and helping products to penetrate better.

mzteaze

I may look into finding an acupuncturist later this year! Right now I’m using Rogaine to see if it will help. There is an herbalist that I may reach out to as well. She has helped others with different ailments and conditions. Would you use the electric scalp massager before using the dermaroller? I know massaging may help stimulate blood flow and help in facilitating breaking up scarred tissue, but it isn’t as aggressive as a dermaroller as far as smoothing out the skin and helping products to penetrate better.

I still use an electric scalp massager since acupuncture & scalp massages go hand in hand.

During the process, I highly recommend taking pictures of your scalp to assess progress. My pictures go back several years now and I can see my progress as I try each new product or service.

Evolving78

Anything with Aloe in it is not my friend!

I cut some hair off of my crown. I should just drop out of the hair length challenges. I will focus on the 2 inches in 4 months challenge.

I cut hair off in that section to make it easier to deal with. I have new growth and relaxed ends. I cut a lot. It will be a long time before my crown reaches NL-SL.

mzteaze

Anything with Aloe in it is not my friend!

I cut some hair off of my crown. I should just drop out of the hair length challenges. I will focus on the 2 inches in 4 months challenge.

I cut hair off in that section to make it easier to deal with. I have new growth and relaxed ends. I cut a lot. It will be a long time before my crown reaches NL-SL.

I understand how you feel. Consistency of healthy hair habits will help you reach your goal length while you work on your crown.

Evolving78

How is everyone doing this week?
I relaxed my hair and now I can see how my crown is progressing.. very slowly, but progressing, so I’m thankful for that.
I want to continue with the Rogaine, but it does cause dryness for me.
I have been slacking on my water this week, but I will get all of it in today and this weekend.

I do plan on ordering that electric scalp massager next month. I also decided to stop relaxing for the rest of year. I don’t have enough hair to relax without directly putting relaxer on my scalp.

I gave myself a protein treatment today and my hair feels nice and not hard.

I do plan on transitioning to a straight hair natural, so I need to get a mini 1/2 flat iron for my new grow that will come in.

GreenEyedJen

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. It's looong overdue. I get DevaCuts. I finally found a stylist I like and was excited to go back to her. Well, I called the salon...and there was a long ass message from the owner saying that he's shutting the place down. No contact information. Can't find her through the Deva website or the internet. I think I can trust this new girl that I made an appointment with. We'll see.

Evolving78

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. It's looong overdue. I get DevaCuts. I finally found a stylist I like and was excited to go back to her. Well, I called the salon...and there was a long ass message from the owner saying that he's shutting the place down. No contact information. Can't find her through the Deva website or the internet. I think I can trust this new girl that I made an appointment with. We'll see.
What kind of mess is that!?! I’m glad you found someone else!

mzteaze

As a follow up, my acupuncturist said that she was seeing some gradual improvements. One improvement in particular is how my scalp felt- she described the initial feel like "wet or soggy ground where you easily pull up grass and weeds". Now, my scalp doesn't feel as tender or squishy.

So, we are watch for baby hair growth.

mzteaze

So based on last week's pictures, it appears that baby hairs are growing in the crown as a start to fill in the most visible thinning areas.

Tonight my acupuncturist asked that after I perform a scalp massage, I also do a light lymphatic massage around neck, collar bone and shoulders. She also worked on my thinning sides for increased blood flow.

Evolving78

So based on last week's pictures, it appears that baby hairs are growing in the crown as a start to fill in the most visible thinning areas.

Tonight my acupuncturist asked that after I perform a scalp massage, I also do a light lymphatic massage around neck, collar bone and shoulders. She also worked on my thinning sides for increased blood flow.
Yay! I’m so happy for you! This is gonna be a good year!

Aggie

My hairline and crown has breakage from a demi color I was over using and now my hair feels the pain of doing so. I see breakage in the areas I used it most to cover up gray hairs. This time I will still be using it but I intend to use it less frequently, and I plan to add Olaplex to prevent severe breakage. Also I didn't use a normalizing shampoo to wash out the demi color so I will be doing that as well.

I will be getting a 4 inch trim and after that keep my hair braided up with wigs so the shorter hairs can catch up.

Aggie

Yeah don’t be scissor happy like me! Lol Just snip here and there! I was about to cut my hair into a bob and have a stylist clean it up! Lol I had a moment like that before, but I stopped myself. I’m not giving in this time!
I don’t think I would do well with Henna. I think I would make a big mess! I applaud ladies that have no trouble mixing and applying!
This was me about a couple of weeks ago and decided against it because of you. Thanks for talking me out of cutting off my hair :kiss:.

Evolving78

This was me about a couple of weeks ago and decided against it because of you. Thanks for talking me out of cutting off my hair :kiss:.
I’m glad you got off of the ledge! And I just cut off and inch or more around my face a couple of minutes. I guess it will look like layers? Lol but it needed to go. It was part of the bleached ends and I still have that demi color hanging on. It faded, but demi colors open up the cuticle..

Aggie

I forgot to mention that I did go to a stylist to have my hair trimmed on Monday past and I posted my experience with a new stylist in another thread. I copied it and now I am pasting that same post in here:

I needed a hair cut today and went to have one professionally done. This is a new stylist that I am trying out. I went in for a consultation today which would cost me $20 but when I came in to have my hair done, it would be used toward the actual service. Well I got my consultation and hair trim for $25 total today. I was very impressed with her knowledge I might add.

She advised me to stopp everything I'm doing with my hair and buy myself a good baby shampoo to get my hair back on track. She trimmed only one inch off and asked me to come back in 2 months for another trim until I get all the ends off in a slow but controlled timely manner. She knows how ladies love their hair and she genuinely did not want me to become too concerned about cutting off too much hair all at once.

She said that the baby shampoo will help my hair to bounce back in a very timely fashion. By the way, it was a demi permanent color that damaged my hair. She said the henna I was using was fine but adding in the demi color alternately damaged my hair. Two permanents should not be competing with each other this way. I agreed because my hair was really doing well with henna. I just wanted something faster and now I am paying for it with broken ends.

With that said, I think I will keep this new stylist. I found out she even goes to my church but attend a later service than I do. Plus she appeared to be very concerned with how I felt about my hair. She was empathetic, she listened intently and came up with super plan that I feel will work for me to get my hair back on track again.

Oh another thing she saved me a ton of money by telling me to get the Alfaparf Hair Bond Rebuilding System as opposed to Olaplex. She likes Alfaparf better for afro textured hair than the Olaplex. She uses both - the Olaplex on silkier hair and Alfaparf on afro-textured hair. The Alfaparf system cost me only $67.97 while the Olaplex was going to cost me a whopping $500+ with shipping and handling, freight, taxes and duty to the Bahamas.

Aggie

@Aggie
Thanks for sharing! Glad she wasn’t scissor happy! How will the baby shampoo help? Glad to hear there are alternatives, instead of just getting Olaplex. Is that only sold to salon owners and cosmetologists ?
Thanks @shortdub78 .

The baby shampoo is gentler on my hair than commercial and even hand made shampoos. The Alfaparf is only available to salon owners/stylists to my knowledge. I have no idea where it can be acquired any other way at the moment. I am a salon owner but not a stylist but I can still get it on my business license.

Evolving78

I have a little Afro patch in the middle of my head... lol I haven’t used Rogaine in awhile. I think it might have caused me to start shedding. I used a tea rinse to stop that and it seemed to work.

Aggie

Last edited: