Repairing And Growing The Crown Area 2018 Support Thread

Evolving78

So, I found that there is an actual term for what I've described about my scalp - lipedematous scalp and where there is loss of hair, it's called lipedematous alopecia. Guess what - it's been studied most in black women.

Here's a short description: https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/12974/lipedematous-scalp
That’s interesting! I wonder does ovarian cysts play a part with BW and tight headgear? We are known for tying our hair up every single day, or wearing tight ponytails.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It's so good to have a name for the ailments we deal with. This is usually half the badly to a cure/proper treatment.

I fully agree. It's sad that in some cases, WE have to do our own research to resolve our issues.

I found this summary very interesting because it links the condition to poor lymphatic drainage and inflammation. Those are two terms that my acupuncturist referred to regarding my scalp (and in her treatment). At least it seems as if we are on the right track to resolving it.

mzteaze

That’s interesting! I wonder does ovarian cysts play a part with BW and tight headgear? We are known for tying our hair up every single day, or wearing tight ponytails.

Both come up in some of the research papers, so hormonal issues may play a part as well as mechanical issues (hair tools, manipulation, etc).

GreenEyedJen

What kind of mess is that!?! I’m glad you found someone else!

I thought I'd updated in here.

I found my old stylist! She isn't listed on the Deva site anymore because she's moved to a new salon that only uses organic products and they refuse to carry Deva. But guess what? Since she can't say she's doing a "DevaCut", she can't charge Deva prices :toocool:

It's a white salon so it was just the cost of a regular women's hair cut. I'm so glad because it was a good $40 cheaper than the place I was going to go to.

She told me the old salon (the one in my other thread) had a ton of drama and right after she left, the owner told the rest of the stylists he was shutting down in two weeks. :( So, everyone was surprised.

I'm not sure how much she took off, but my hair looks so much better now. The shape is perfect, and my crown is growing so well! It looks like intentional layers now, instead of that shelf-like look. I know y'all know what I mean. This cut was exactly what I needed to get me really back into my hair again. I've been doing my regimen consistently, and now that it's shaped well, I'm really excited about my hair again. I haven't felt like this in years.

faithVA

With most of my flat twist styles it' hard to judge my thinning issue. Sometimes it seems be5ter and some times worse. Thanksgiving it seemed like it was better. With my style today it seems worse.

I'm hoping in the summer I have more length to water rinse more often. Until then I will try to spritz and massage my crown more often.

20180210_232844.jpg 20180210_232032.jpg

mzteaze

With most of my flat twist styles it' hard to judge my thinning issue. Sometimes it seems be5ter and some times worse. Thanksgiving it seemed like it was better. With my style today it seems worse.

I'm hoping in the summer I have more length to water rinse more often. Until then I will try to spritz and massage my crown more often.

View attachment 424331 View attachment 424329

:bighug:

I know the feeling as your pictures could just as well be my pictures.

Evolving78

Anyone use Nioxin? A stylist used it on me in the past, since I have fine hair, but I don’t need to add volume to my hair.

Evolving78

@faithVA
Hey Faith! I know you have a lot of good tips. Yours has helped me in the past! What are you using to massage with? Your crown looks like it’s filling back in. Have you tried Pumpkin seed oil? I keep forgetting to get some, or the pills.

faithVA

@faithVA
Hey Faith! I know you have a lot of good tips. Yours has helped me in the past! What are you using to massage with? Your crown looks like it’s filling back in. Have you tried Pumpkin seed oil? I keep forgetting to get some, or the pills.

I haven't used pumpkn seed oil. I will look for it next time I'm out. What is special about it.

I don' know if I have any special tips. I know for my scalp I need to keep it hydrated. Previously I was using an oil blend I made with various oils and essential oils. I haven' made that in over a year. I have been using the Mane Choice oil. I haven' been using anything consistently.

I think one thing I did wrong was rollerset. The dryer dried out my scalp.

I think you are doing what you need to ; keep scalp hydrated, use oils with essential oils cor massaging, massaging, eat well, exercise, rest, drink water and pamper the crown.

faithVA

For now I'm going to keep it simple. Im' going to spritz my scalp every other day with mane choice restorative spray to keep it hydratd and then massage my scalp with oil every 3rd day. I will leave the dryer alone.

Evolving78

I’m considering Nioxin (System 5). What did the stylist use on you?
I think it was 1. or 3. She just said she liked using it on me, since my hair was fine, and didn’t need a lot of heavy product. I liked how it felt on my scalp. This was 15 years ago. I tried to use it on my own maybe 5-6 years ago, and I ended up giving it to my mother. So I need to really figure out what system would be best for me now.

LovelyRo

@LovelyRo
System 5 and 6 sounds really good!
I’m not chemically treated anymore, but I really like the description of products. I will look more into it. If not, I will go with system 4. I may use this instead of the Rogaine.

I’m natural as well. According to the description of System 5(from Groupon) it can be used on natural hair. I like that it’s for medium to coarse hair.

AB97B1B3-2E48-4CE9-8BA5-A67353330E01.png

I’ll look it up on Nioxin’s website too.

NicWhite

For the month of February, I'm trying a combo of herbal medicine (from acupuncturist) and onion juice. I've also dropped to weekly acupuncture appointments.

Here is my starting point:

That onion juice seems to be working wonders for some people I have been watching on YouTube. :) The 5min 27sec mark shows the improvement in someone who was suffering hair loss.

Last edited:

mzteaze

That onion juice seems to be working wonders for some people I have been watching on YouTube. :) The 5min 27sec mark shows the improvement in someone who was suffering hair loss.

That's an excellent video and the exact recipe I use minus the cayenne (I don't want to irritate my scalp after acupuncture).

mzteaze

I keep forgetting to ask what everyone is doing to heal themselves internally?

I regularly take a liquid vitamin supplement and take fish oil in a mix of cherry juice (great for reducing inflammation) and aloe vera juice.

This month I plan to step up my exercise program AND get back to daily intake of tomatoes, cucumbers and raw garlic. Just a few things that helped me the first time.

faithVA

Lol told ya. Have you checked your sides?. I recently realized that my left side was also experiencing thinning as well. So I've started to add pictures of those sections to keep track of that progress too.
My sides seem to be fine. This isn' a new condition for me so it's just in an holding pattern until I start working on it. Based on where it was I've really turned it around. I just haven' been a actively working on it.