Retained 4 to 6 inches per year without protective styles.. anyone? pics please

blessed7777

I am so tired of bunning and looking unkept. Yes I know you can dress up the bun etc etc but I want to enjoy my bsl length as it grows to wsl ( hopefully)

So is there anyone that stopped protective styles after reaching shoulder length or more, used heat 2x per month or more and still retained 4 to 6 inches of healthy hair per year? Please post pics if you have them as well.

Thanks ladies!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I actually think that once you get past APL, protective styles become less necessary to retain length, because generally, hair doesn't rub on clothes past that point.
But anyway, I think if you want to wear your hair down often and still want to retain most of your growth, you'll probably have to sacrifice the heat. I just don't think that most people's hair can withstand both.

And I kind of wonder where this idea that buns look unkempt comes from....you definitely aren't the first person to express that sentiment. Buns and updos have always looked really elegant and chic to me, when they are done correctly and/or accessorized properly.

blessed7777

Well I wet bun because I can't do a decent bun when my hair is dry. Also, for religious reasons I don't wear earrings so I look like a boy when I bun lol :)

Jazala

I am so tired of bunning and looking unkept. Yes I know you can dress up the bun etc etc but I want to enjoy my bsl length as it grows to wsl ( hopefully)

So is there anyone that stopped protective styles after reaching shoulder length or more, used heat 2x per month or more and still retained 4 to 6 inches of healthy hair per year? Please post pics if you have them as well.

Thanks ladies!

I'll let you know in May lol. :grin:

I stopped PS'ing in May last year and I have been using the flat iron once a week after my DC routine. So far my hair has been fine, judging by the fact that I was still able to make my APL goal on schedule (December). When May rolls around I can make a full year comparison.

TeeWhyAre

I believe that Sylver2 did not/does not protective style to get to waist length.

She stuck to her routine and respected the protein/moisture balance for her hair.

You do what's best for your hair and your lifestyle.

Fhrizzball

You can always dress up your buns with accessories. And then there's other PS that you can do with your length. I get paranoid and worried about my hair when I wear it down but that's only because I'm not pass APL and it's in a constand state of tangling and shrinking up on my.

naturalpride

I believe that Sylver2 did not/does not protective style to get to waist length.

She stuck to her routine and respected the protein/moisture balance for her hair.

You do what's best for your hair and your lifestyle.

Sylver2 does protective style or low manipulation style, she does braid outs and only washes and detangles every two weeks, it's in her fotki. Most people who have made it to wl have either protective styled or low manipulation style to their hair. Whoever has not done that and made it to wl are the exceptions.

sylver2

i never protective style..but i have to be that much more disciplined with my hair because of it. also..i leave it alone!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I agree with chaos that if you wear it down I'd sacrafice the heat. I think it'll be fine if you really take care of your ends.

God's Anointed

I don't think you have to only protective style to retain gain. Most people who do protective styles just do it to maintain length. If you don't do protective styles, just remember to keep your ends moisturized so that it doesn't start to split. Oh, and don't over-do the heat if your are wearing it down. Trust me, that can be a huge setback if you do