Rollersetting 4b Natural Hair w/ LOW/NO HEAT

loolalooh

Disclaimer: There's no one way to rollerset, but this is what works for me. I thought I'd share this with any natural (not necessarily just 4bs) who is interested in rollersetting without heat. It can be done.

Since going natural, I've rollersetted about 4 times with and without heat, with flexi-rods and snap-on rollers, on dry vs wet hair, etc. One thing that has been consistent is that a ton of heat is NOT needed to get a decent rollerset on 4b hair. Sitting under a hooded dryer is sufficient. I've even gotten good results from not using heat at all. No flat iron. No blow drying. Rollersetting our natural hair is more about the technique (the products you use, how you put in the rollers, etc.) than about the heat, IMO. Here are some no-heat rollerset pics from 2008:

I'll do my first 2009 set with curlformers this July. In the mean time, here is what I do for my no-heat rollersets:

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Wash & deep condition the hair
2. Moisturize the hair and plait it (I do about 8-10 plaits; I do this to "stretch" my roots and hair a bit)
3. Wrap your edges with a scarf
4. Let the hair dry until it is damp (not too wet and not dry)
5. Take down a plait
6. Part a section, apply more moisturizer and a reasonable amount of setting lotion
7. Apply a roller to the section
8. Repeat steps 5-7 until done
9. Airdry while you sleep (I usually do my sets in the afternoon/evening)

SOME TIPS:
- Moisture, moisture, moisture is important for achieving a smooth, silky rollerset. Use a moisturizing shampoo and DC to infuse the hair with moisture. Follow up with a good moisturizer. (Products I use for rollerset prep: CON in the green bottle, Homemade Caramel Treatment, and a shea butter mix.)
- Stay away from moisturizers containing glycerin or other humectants, if you can. Humectant + humidity = a rollerset that won't last.
- Rollerset in small sections. (I do about 3/4-inch by 2.5-inch sections when using snap on rollers.) The hair dries faster AND smoother this way.
- I find that I get the best results with snap-on magnetic rollers because the "snap on" part flattens my hair and keeps the roller intact.
- Hold the hair taut and rollerset all the way down to the roots.
- Let the set dry all the way before removing the rollers.
- Use a setting lotion and a hooded dryer for longer lasting sets. (Without either, my set lasts about 3 days in 40% humidity, which is decent considering the weather.)
- Pin curl at night to maintain the set.

I hope this is useful for somebody! Just thought I'd share.

rima

Great tips! Mt roller sets come out very similar to your pics. I usually use flexi rods. I've never tried allowing my hair to air dry a bit before rolling. I will try that next time.

RadiantBeauty

Disclaimer: There's no one way to rollerset, but this is what works for me. I thought I'd share this with any natural (not necessarily just 4bs) who is interested in rollersetting without heat. It can be done.

Since going natural, I've rollersetted about 4 times with and without heat, with flexi-rods and snap-on rollers, on dry vs wet hair, etc. One thing that has been consistent is that a ton of heat is NOT needed to get a decent rollerset on 4b hair. Sitting under a hooded dryer is sufficient. I've even gotten good results from not using heat at all. No flat iron. No blow drying. Rollersetting our natural hair is more about the technique (the products you use, how you put in the rollers, etc.) than about the heat, IMO. Here are some no-heat rollerset pics from 2008:

I'll do my first 2009 set with curlformers this July. In the mean time, here is what I do for my no-heat rollersets:

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Wash & deep condition the hair
2. Moisturize the hair and plait it (I do about 8-10 plaits; I do this to "stretch" my roots and hair a bit)
3. Wrap your edges with a scarf
4. Let the hair dry until it is damp (not too wet and not dry)
5. Take down a plait
6. Part a section, apply more moisturizer and a reasonable amount of setting lotion
7. Apply a roller to the section
8. Repeat steps 5-7 until done
9. Airdry while you sleep (I usually do my sets in the afternoon/evening)

SOME TIPS:
- Moisture, moisture, moisture is important for achieving a smooth, silky rollerset. Use a moisturizing shampoo and DC to infuse the hair with moisture. Follow up with a good moisturizer. (Products I use for rollerset prep: CON in the green bottle, Homemade Caramel Treatment, and a shea butter mix.)
- Stay away from moisturizers containing glycerin or other humectants, if you can. Humectant + humidity = a rollerset that won't last.
- Rollerset in small sections. (I do about 3/4-inch by 2.5-inch sections when using snap on rollers.) The hair dries faster AND smoother this way.
- I find that I get the best results with snap-on magnetic rollers because the "snap on" part flattens my hair and keeps the roller intact.
- Hold the hair taut and rollerset all the way down to the roots.
- Let the set dry all the way before removing the rollers.
- Use a setting lotion and a hooded dryer for longer lasting sets. (Without either, my set lasts about 3 days in 40% humidity, which is decent considering the weather.)
- Pin curl at night to maintain the set.

I hope this is useful for somebody! Just thought I'd share.

Your hair is beautiful! :gorgeous: Thanks for the tips! :yep:

melodies815

Thanks so much for this. I tried a very short roller set and hated the way my hair looked. I have to wait until I have a bit more length, but the setting lotion is what will work best for my hair, I know.

I used Fantasia IC's Liquid Mousse Firm Hold Styling Lotion - it's alcohol free and gives the hair a relaxer/like set even when natural. I didn't use it with my short TWA...and maybe that was the problem. lol

The low/no heat option you provide is going to be really helpful to me. Thanks for posting!!!

cj

anon123

Cute rollerset! Thanks for taking the time to note down some tips for us.

I also did a roller set, it came out very bouncy:

That gif cracks me up every time. Anyway, I didn't use much heat, just sat under my bonnet dryer for a little bit to speed up the drying. I had to air dry some, stupid bonnet dryer. Link to my thread about roller setting:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341879&highlight=

If I added to your suggestions, I'd mention for one like mine to try to line up the rollers vertically to your head. I'd also say for my hair to actually avoid moisture. Moisture makes the hair puff out and lose its definition, so I get the best results with just coconut oil.

loolalooh

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=195219

I was looking around and I saw this and it seemed familiar to me.....

which site gives the best advice?

^^^ LOL ... Hmm, that's a tough question ... Hmm.

I just had to share this info with two of my favorite sites. :grinwink:

loolalooh

Cute rollerset! Thanks for taking the time to note down some tips for us.

I also did a roller set, it came out very bouncy:

That gif cracks me up every time. Anyway, I didn't use much heat, just sat under my bonnet dryer for a little bit to speed up the drying. I had to air dry some, stupid bonnet dryer. Link to my thread about roller setting:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341879&highlight=

If I added to your suggestions, I'd mention for one like mine to try to line up the rollers vertically to your head. I'd also say for my hair to actually avoid moisture. Moisture makes the hair puff out and lose its definition, so I get the best results with just coconut oil.

I love the bounciness! Thanks for sharing. :grinwink: