RollerSetting for Length/Health Challenge

Faith

I don't see anything like this posted...if it is please link me. I did a search and nothing...
Anywho, I am thinking of cutting back on the direct heat (yes even from pure ceramic irons..lol) and trying just straight rollersetting. I rollerset my natural hair on Friday and it felt so good. It felt strong and it was very strong. That good feeling went away as soon as I flatironed. Don't get me wrong it was still soft but not as strong to the touch.

Who: Naturals AND Relaxed
What: Rollersetting each wash.
When: Your next wash (if possible)
Why: I believe it promotes healthier hair, especially the ends
Where: Salon or at home
How: Get some rollers and get cracking..plus a good leave in, some serum maybe, rattail comb, wide tooth comb..whatever you need.

Any takers? Lets do it for 3 months to see if we see a marked improvement. I think we will. :)
At the end of 3 months we can re-evaluate.

You can post your regimen, what you use to rollerset, any techniques that may help, etc.
And even if you don't want to join the challenge and have some tips/pointers please post them :)

Who's in:
Faith
jnicole
BGT
victorious
ScarletPhoenix
BillsBackerz67
Dommo
Brooklyn72
sqzbly1908
longhairlover
charmtreese
AtlantaJJ
daephae
Mo96
MizzBrown
itismehmmkay
Determined22
Loveleelilie
Tinkerbell19
PinkPebbles
MsMontoute
closer2mydreams
Iluvsmuhgrass
envivany
daydreem2876
Shana'
Trendsetta25
albane
prettyfaceANB
southerngirl4ever
shelli4018
Angelicus
Rina
ayoung
twinkle75
leejeans
asubeauty
praisedancer
Bostonmaria
Tzarina
kblc06
DaRealist

Last edited:

Faith

I'll start...with a tip. I used lacio lacio thanks to luckiestdestiny and it really gave me a lot of bounce.

Who: Natural
What: I'm going to try it 2x/week. At least 1x/week.
When: My next wash
Why: I believe it promotes healthier hair, especially the ends
Where: home
How: Diluted Lacio Lacio and just roll (will add other stuff after removing rollers)

Last edited:

BGT

I'm in. :yep: I've already been rollersetting at every wash since October though. :grin: My biggest staples for setting are NTM Silk Touch Leave In Cream and Fantasia IC Serum and then doing a Saran wrap treatment. Perfect rollersets everytime. :lick:

Faith

You're in ladies :)
BGT, I already have a question. Do you comb out the curls before Saran wrapping? I still haven't figured that out. Why is it done?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I'm in. :up:

I usually suck at challenges, but this is something I've been doing regularly since it got colder. Retaining length is a big problem for me. I've been meaning to try the saran wrap method for the longest.

Who: Relaxed
What: Roller setting on purple magnetic rollers
When: Every week
Why: It helps keep my ends smooth
Where: At home
How: Moisturize hair, rub a little serum on any new growth, seal ends with a little oil, and spray extra water on the ends before rolling

BGT

You're in ladies :)
BGT, I already have a question. Do you comb out the curls before Saran wrapping? I still haven't figured that out. Why is it done?

Yeah, I do comb out the curls and then wrap my hair and then wrap it with Saran wrap, sit under the dryer for about 10 minutes. It gives me the same effect of a flat iron but with more body. :yep: I prefer straight hair to curly hair, since my hair isn't as long as it use to be; I can't carry off curly or wavy hair.

I'm not sure how saran wrapping works, but it kinda compresses the hair and makes it silky. Like if my hair is frizzy after a humid day, I'll saran wrap it again and it'll look like I just washed and set it. :grin:

ScarletPhoenix

I want to do this but I have very texturized curly hair and I am sure that by week's end my hair will be puffy...so Faith how do you keep your hair from frizzing, since you are natural?

BillsBackerz67

Who: Natural
What: Rollersetting
When: 1x per week (begn this almost a month ago)
Why: reduces my single strand knots
How: Water, ORS wrap set mouse and WGO on ends set on mesh rollers(I add other stuff after removing rollers). Then I flat iron roots, but considering buying a hot brush.

Dommo

I'm definitely in!!

Who- Relaxed
What- Rollersetting
When- 1-2x per week
Why- My hair is so healthy when rollersetting and I love the softness and strength.
Where- Mostly home...Salon if I'm lazy or need a touch-up
How- Wash with Con, Deep Condition with Dominican Conditioner, Follow with balancing conditioner, Apply Leave-in, Roll, Set, Sit under Pibbs

Brooklyn72

Im in too. Been doing this since Sept, but never hurts to have the added pressure.:yep:

Who- Relaxed
What- Rollersetting
When- 1-per week
Why- It makes my hair super thick and healthy and because I just bought a pibbs!!
Where- Home
How-Using only shescentit products from start to finish.

sqzbly1908

I'm in ...this is the only style I know how to do...(yeah - a challenge I can maintain) :peace:

When: Everytime I wash
Why: Healthier hair,volume and body - also provides the illusion of nice flat iron
Where: Home
How: After washing/dc, leave hair dripping wet, apply a dime size of Lacio Lacio (keep spraying my hair with water - dripping wet throughout the whole process) - however, do whatever works for you -get under dryer, wrap hair with velcro mesh wrap.

Last edited:

longhairlover

I'd like to do this challenge also. I've already been rollersetting for a while now, but....I do flat iron my roots because i'm 17wks post. Can I still join?

Who: Relaxed (stretching right now til it gets hot)
When: each wash 1-2x's a week
Why: like how my ends are smoother
How: wash with either pantene relxd and natrls or mizani reconstructing poo, condish with pantene relxd and natrls. Leave ins:lacio lacio, and una bomba for ends, john frieda heat protectant sometimes. OR: right now my new fave Salerm Biokera treatment for ends but I use it all over hair concentrating on ends. I don't use a spray bottle because if my hair is soaking wet I will have to sit under the dryer toooooo long. so i work with my hair wet fast, and if I need more water on hair i just add a little on my hands then hair or on mag. rollers. hair shouldn't be soaking wet for roller sets just damp.

I will also be alternating from salerms biokera leave in for falling hair to keep my hair strong during stretch.

Last edited:

Faith

I want to do this but I have very texturized curly hair and I am sure that by week's end my hair will be puffy...so Faith how do you keep your hair from frizzing, since you are natural?
If you think your hair will be puffy by week's end you could always wash and rollerset again or are you aiming to not wash more than 1x/week?
To keep the frizz down I'll be using SMB and John Frieda's Frizz Ease Serum (great stuff). I figure too that doing it 2x/week will make sure I don't have unruly hair for too long :)

Faith

I'm glad to have you all on this challenge with me. :)

Longhairlover, I don't think flatironing the roots excludes you from this challenge. It is very hard to get the roots straight/smooth. My plan is to part the hair thinner in order to get to the roots, I hope that does the trick.

charmtreese

I'm in!! This is what I did for most of 08 and I plan to continue this regimen in 09.

What: Rollersetting w/ purple and red magnetic rollers
When: Once a week after weekly wash regimen
Why: Healthier hair, straight (mostly) tangled free hair
How: Wash with WEN Lavender, Reconstruct with Nexxus Emergencee, DC with Jessicurl weekly moisturizing treatment & green tea, Leave-in with Ojon Revitalizing mist & CHI silk infusion, Moisturize with Ojon leave-in glossing cream and or Jane Carter, Seal with Castor oil, oil scalp & ends with Ojon Restorative Treatment

AtlantaJJ

I'm completely natural. I plan to experiement with roller setting during 2009. I have the same question that you do about how to combat the frizzies for natural rollersetters.

LivingDoll

I'm joining this challenge because my hair is finally long enough to roll and I'm tired of bunning! Right now I suck at rolling my hair...I'm sure I'll be a pro in a few months! This will help me in the Bootcamp Challenge too.

Who: Relaxed (Texlaxed)
When: At least once a week.
Why: Fuller, healthier hair.
How: After washing/dcing, detangle, spritz hair with water, using a bit of NTM Silk Touch and a dab of Salerm 21 B5...spritz with water as needed...roll with yellow/red rollers...saran wrap after set to loosen the curls.

Last edited:

Mo96

Count me in! Rollersetting my own hair is a constant reminder of the $$$ I can save. lol

When: Once a week
Why: I just believe that it's good for my hair. Plus, I love the curls. :)
How: Red & a few green rollers. I apply NTM Leave in to my hair. I also add a little bit in a spray bottle along with plenty of water. Once I'm done I usually put a little QP Mango Butter on my hair and IC Olive Serum.

Faith

For all those worrying about frizzies why not use a frizz ease serum or something like Chi silk infusion or SMB?

Also are you all combing the curls out before saran wrapping? I know BGT says she does.

Nikki4ny

This is INSANE!!! (in a wonderful lovely way!!!) Are some of you ladies saying you are natural and doing roller sets on hair that has not been flat ironed? I was told that would not work and being gullable, I never even tried. I want instructions, and details. I am going to try this over the weekend. Tell me exactly what rollers to buy etc!

MizzBrown

Count Me In!! I've been rollersetting exclusively for a year now so this is easy to me.

What: Rollersetting w/ medium to large sized snap-on rollers on EVERY wash
When: 1-2 Times a Week
Why: Indirect heat is ALWAYS better than direct heat. Love the curls and how healthy my hair feels and looks.
How: Either Poo(only when necessary) or Co-wash, ALWAYS DC with oil & heat, apply favorite leave-in (HairVeda's Whipped Cream) mixed w/ Chi Silk Infusion.

Use plain tap water sometimes mixed with rosewater to rewet hair while setting. Flat iron NG only w/ Generic Chi, grease scalp with oil/pomade of choice, apply Hairveda Avosoya oil to hair and wrap.

I mostly leave the rollers in my hair and just go to sleep to rock a curly-do the next couple days.

My Staples: ORS Replenishing, Black castor oil, leave-ins, and a bunch of other stuff that i constantly rotate.

itismehmmkay

I'm in:

What: Weekly
When: This Saturday
Why: Healthy hair; supports my style options
Where: Salon
How: Salon standards; will maintain throughout week w/ dry rollersetting at night :up:

Faith

This is INSANE!!! (in a wonderful lovely way!!!) Are some of you ladies saying you are natural and doing roller sets on hair that has not been flat ironed? I was told that would not work and being gullable, I never even tried. I want instructions, and details. I am going to try this over the weekend. Tell me exactly what rollers to buy etc!
Hehe :) It can be done girl ;) I am 100% natural. 4a/b. When I went natural the first time I tried rollersetting a few times and the hair was never really smooth or in any way bouncy BUT thanks to Aveda IRT and lacio lacio I got my hair smooth, slightly bouncy, very soft and shiny. Part as small as possible to get your hair smooth on the roller. Use a frizz ease serum if need be.
I am using the pink magnetic snap rollers right now. I also have mesh ones but will use those once I get my hair about 2" longer. Be sure to get a rattail comb to smooth the ends out on the roller.

longhairlover

Oh yeah i've tried taking smaller parts but since i haven't gotten my pibbs yet using less hair and more rollers i don't fit under my crappy gold and hot..

but your right when i tried it; it did help a little.

I'm glad to have you all on this challenge with me. :)

Longhairlover, I don't think flatironing the roots excludes you from this challenge. It is very hard to get the roots straight/smooth. My plan is to part the hair thinner in order to get to the roots, I hope that does the trick.

lovleelilie

I've been rollersetting since September but had major dryness issues and w/ my old hard top - even at top heat - it took about an hour and 45 minutes to dry - not so sure that promoted health :ohwell:. Anyways - fast forward a few months and:
- I now have a pibbs
- my moisture retention is up
- my porosity is in check
- practice and youtube tutorials have turned me into a rollersetting pro (roller size depends on style i desire)

I'm ready to roll!!! :lachen: Sorry, couldnt help myself :look: - I'll post starter pics soon.

Oh! 1 more thing - I use Salerm 21 Leave In and NTM Daily Silk Touch!

lovleelilie

Oh yeah i've tried taking smaller parts but since i haven't gotten my pibbs yet using less hair and more rollers i don't fit under my crappy gold and hot..

but your right when i tried it; it did help a little.

Longhairlover - you are gonna LOOOOOOOOVE your pibbs when it comes. Recieved mine last week (mom purchased just before your discount thread came around - ugh:wallbash:) it is SWEET!!! :grin:

Tinkerbell19

Count me in! I actually have already been doing this on my own and I am currently rocking flexi rods so this should be fun :grin:

Who: Naturals
What: Rollersetting each wash.
When: 1 X 2 per wk
Why: It makes my hair grow and its very low maintanence which I love!
How: wash/condition (use various products from aveda to aphoghee to pantene), then dc with mayo then use ors lock n twist gel and aphoghee leave in. Apply aveda brilliant to each piece as I on roll.