RollerSetting for Length/Health Challenge

LivingDoll

I flat ironed my roots today...:look: If we can't use direct heat I'm going to remove myself from this challenge. I normally don't flat iron my roots but I liked the results today and may continue to do so....

Good Luck Ladies....Happy Hair Growing!

I think I'm gonna do the same. :ohwell: I'll still be rollersetting regularly but I know I'll need to use flat irons for my roots sometimes until my hair gets a little longer.

I wish you ladies the best of luck as well. I'll still be keeping up with the thread to see all the great progress everyone is making.

ETA: Before I completely throw in the towel, I'm gonna go ahead and texlax and see how it turns out. I'm not giving up without a fight! It is a CHALLENGE right?

Last edited:

Faith

So , no one is using Sabino Moisture Block?

I am a natural 4 and want to use Sabino to rollerset. I'm just not sure what type of moisturizing product to use under the Sabino. Do you think the diluted Lacio will be moisturizing enough?

Thanks

I use the SMB. And the Lacio Lacio is very moisturizing (for my 4b/a hair). I also moisturize after using SMB and it seems to work even though some say the SMB shields products from getting in. I apply coconut oil after using SMB and my hair responds :ohwell:

Faith

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all of the replies!! I am still waiting for my LACIO LACIO, I don't even know where it is, I am so salty :wallbash: but I can't wait to use the LL and the saran wrap technique.

But my hair had to get washed tonight without my LL.... so I cowashed with my Kenra conditioner and then I DC'ed with heat for 20+ mins with Elasta QP/DPR 11. I then lightly spritzed my hair with a leave-in and a heat protectant mixture (thanks for the advice ya'll! I will be diluting it too going forward) and then I rollerset my hair with a new combination oil I bought. I tested a few dry rollers and my hair came out so soft and smooth this time..I am so happy, because I definitely prefer to roller set since it is better for my hair. Thank goodness, it only takes my hair about 45 mins to dry because it is late...LOL...4:55am :lachen:

P.S. By the way, I always have one roller at the very crown of my head that is still damp when every other roller is dry, do you have any recommendations?

P.P.S. Where do you all order your Lacio Lacio from? I see it on Amazon but I want to make sure that I get it the cheapest possible ;)

Did you get your LL yet? I got it from Amazon.com and it came fairly quickly considering I'm in Canada.

Faith

Lawd help me y'all...:nono:

I rollerset this past friday night with mesh rollers and my hair came out too soft. I also had a BIG problem with my roots being too wavy. I pulled the rollers taunt as I could...:nono:...I texlax and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get my roots straight enough. I even saran wrapped it, which helped loosen the curls but did nothing for these wavy/curly roots. Without heat, my hair looked like a helmet. I wore a beret to church yesterday and I pinned it up for work today.

Any suggestions? If I don't figure out a way to straighten my roots without direct heat, my challenges will be shot!

If you have to rollerset and flatiron the roots then go ahead. I may have to do that as well, it definitely doesn't exclude you from the challenge.

Faith

Did I forget to add you on the list? Please take a look at my original post and let me know.

LivingDoll

If you have to rollerset and flatiron the roots then go ahead. I may have to do that as well, it definitely doesn't exclude you from the challenge.

Really? Wow! That's soooo great. It will exclude me from bootcamp though. I'm gonna hold out as long as I can. Thanks. If push comes to shove I'll just be drinking a hella lot of water (my punishment for violating bootcamp rules...) :lachen:

Faith

Sigh...ladies..
I'm not sure I can continue on with this challenge. I started it but I don't think I can go on.
The rollersetting is not getting my roots and ends straight enough which is leading to knots at the roots and knots at the ends.
I'll try again on mesh rollers and see.

I do have one issue I need help with. My hair looks decent when it's freshly done but once I put in the sation rollers and go to bed it looks messy and dry the next day. It definitely doesn't last 3 days..2 days MAX. What can I do? If I am to continue with this challenge I will have to rollerset 2x/week but keeping the hair in between washes is an issue.

kitamay

Can you use steam rollers in this challenge? Are they just as healthy as when you rollerset wet hair and sit under the dryer?

Faith

It's not too late to join. I signed you both up.

Kitamay, I'm not sure about the steam rollers. How are you drying before you apply the steam rollers? Airdrying?

LivingDoll

Okay ladies! I relaxed last night (SE Lye Mild)...added a little SE Moisturizing Leave In Creme, a little Nacidit Leave in, a little Salerm 21 B5 and a little oil mix (about a dime size of each). I sprayed diluted Proclaim setting lotion (about 25% proclaim/75% water). Dryed for an hour...saran wrapped for about 6-7 minutes. My hair turned out sooo nice! I'll take pics tonight when I get home.

Ms. Analeise

I use the SMB. And the Lacio Lacio is very moisturizing (for my 4b/a hair). I also moisturize after using SMB and it seems to work even though some say the SMB shields products from getting in. I apply coconut oil after using SMB and my hair responds :ohwell:

Thanks for responding- I just saw your response. I'll try this on my next rollerset.

BostonMaria

I'd like to join! :up:
I have been natural for over a year and I'm trying to figure out if my hair thrives more when I rollerset vs wetting it every day.
I've been rollersetting regularly since it got cold outside. Rollersetting in the summer is a waste of time since my hair reverts so badly, might as well figure out if it works now since the weather permits it.

Who: Natural
What: Rollersetting on magnetic rollers
When: Once a week
Why: Less manipulation
Where: At home
How: Pre-poo, DC for 1 hour, apply Hairveda Whipped Cream on my hair then rollerset, use my Ion hooded dryer, Avosoya oil to seal, flatiron if needed with Hair serum, sheabutter on ends every night till its wash time again.

Angelicus

Roller setting for me is so much easier when I do the Crown and Glory Method of washing first. My hair is already sectioned off in about 5 pigtails. It cuts my setting time in half (almost). I've been roller setting regularly since December, which is when I rededicated time to my hair. I definitely see a difference in health. I do shed a lot but it's ok with me.

sqzbly1908

Still doing my rollersets - I am using Lottabody (back to my mainstay) - fighting the urge to keep the scissors out of my hair - I may go and get a therapeutic trim...

Tzarina

Can I join on this one:

Who: Relaxed
What: Rollersetting
When: My next wash
Why: To add body to my fine hair, minimise heat.
Where: home
How: My water and glycerine mix and OCR wrap/set mousse

Last edited:

BostonMaria

Sigh...ladies..
I'm not sure I can continue on with this challenge. I started it but I don't think I can go on.
The rollersetting is not getting my roots and ends straight enough which is leading to knots at the roots and knots at the ends.
I'll try again on mesh rollers and see.

I do have one issue I need help with. My hair looks decent when it's freshly done but once I put in the sation rollers and go to bed it looks messy and dry the next day. It definitely doesn't last 3 days..2 days MAX. What can I do? If I am to continue with this challenge I will have to rollerset 2x/week but keeping the hair in between washes is an issue.

You can do a few things, but first I would have to ask you:
  1. How do you wear your hair at night?
  2. After day 1, what type of oil or butter are you putting in your hair?
  3. Is it very cold in your city right now?

I was having a similar issue as you and I found out that my hair needed to be either pinned up, in a "pineapple" or in a doobie before going to bed. I also found out that I needed to add avocado oil at night and then add sheabutter to my ends in the morning. And this is because its too cold outside and also because I was moving around too much when I was asleep and my hair was getting knotted up.

BillsBackerz67

rollersetting is here to stay! and it lasts for 3 weeks if I want it to :look: ive got it down to 45 minutes. I think thats as fast as I can go. I have a lot of hair :nono:

kblc06

I hope its not to late join, but I'm think of going back to rollersetting to keep my hair stretched, especially now that I have a salon dryer on the way

Who: Natural
What: Rollersetting .
When: Every wash or 1-2x per week
Why: To help prevent splitting and help aid length retention
Where: Home
How: Using magenta and gray snap covered rollers and bobby pins. I have yet perfected my setting lotion mixture, but Cantu shea butter leave-in and Chi silk infusion are staples

Hey naturals, how long is it take you to rollerset? I still can't down to under an hour

kblc06

Still doing my rollersets - I am using Lottabody (back to my mainstay) - fighting the urge to keep the scissors out of my hair - I may go and get a therapeutic trim...

You and me both...I swear I think I enjoy torturing myself. My hair hand finally gotten to half an inch below my braclasp and I just cut off nearly an 1 inch and a half to "even my ends up" in preparation for this challenge :wallbash:

sqzbly1908

You and me both...I swear I think I enjoy torturing myself. My hair hand finally gotten to half an inch below my braclasp and I just cut off nearly an 1 inch and a half to "even my ends up" in preparation for this challenge :wallbash:[/quote

Hey KBLCO6....I did it - I went on my lunch break. I am so glad I did, one side was a little longer than the other and it was driving me crazy. I wish I had the patience of some of the sisters on here who just wait to let their hair "catch up"...can't do it! :nono:

BostonMaria

Hey naturals, how long is it take you to rollerset? I still can't down to under an hour

It only takes me about 15 minutes to rollerset my hair, but keep in mind that I've been doing this by myself since I was 14 yrs old (I'm 38). Keep practicing and you'll get better/quicker at it.

kblc06

It only takes me about 15 minutes to rollerset my hair, but keep in mind that I've been doing this by myself since I was 14 yrs old (I'm 38). Keep practicing and you'll get better/quicker at it.

Well, I have only been doing it since about 17 (irregularly at that), so that makes 2-3 years worth of practice. My sets always come out great when I let them dry properly, it's just so time consuming for me. I'd long for the day I'll be able roll my hair in 15 minutes :spinning:

Angelicus

Still doing my roller sets. I think my hair is growing due to all the raw egg I'm eating but my hair looks very healthy.

DaRealist

Ooh, I want to sign up
Who: Relaxed
What: Rollersetting
When: Once a week
Why: To reduce manipulation during the week and aid in length retention
Where: Home
How: For curly sets I will use red or pink rollers and metal clips. For a straighter look, but with body, I will use the magenta and gray rollers with metal clips. My products will be water and Chi silk infusion

LivingDoll

Rollersetting is not so much fun. It takes forever (rolling & drying). I thought I would get better at it by now but I'm still struggling. The last two weeks I just broke down and wore a bun because I didn't feel like being bothered. :ohwell:

I'll get back on track next week y'all.