Rollersetting: Name ONE (or 2) Key Thing to getting It Right

MizaniMami

Hey Ladies,
I want to start a journey of rollersetting but there is so much information out there. First off, let me start by saying that I hope to get my hair straight and silky from a rollerset :D .

All ladies who have been successfully done this can you PLEASE help me (and a few other contemplating sistahs) out?! Name the one thing (or two) that has helped you get this look. It can be products, technique tips or whatever!ANY suggestions are welcomed! TIA

lonei

Doing the ponytail rollerset, or having bone straight relaxed hair to start with. NTM Silk Touch Leave in/ hooded dryer = 4 things sorry!!

MizaniMami

lonei said:
Doing the ponytail rollerset, or having bone straight relaxed hair to start with. NTM Silk Touch Leave in/ hooded dryer = 4 things sorry!!

Thanks your post inspired y thread. How do you rollerset if you have a head full of newgrowth???

macherieamour

I cant give just one:(

1) making sure the hair is super wet, esp the ends

2) Using minimal product- dries quicker. I just use gloss or oil, tiny bit of leave-in and water

3) Must dry completely- or else hair will frizz

4) Dont get frustrated- just do it, dont worry about it being perfect. It took months, even years before some of us could get it down. But once u get it, ull love it:)

5) when you get comfortable, try to make the parts and sections as even as possible. They will drive evenly that way.

Happy setting:)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

A very moisturizing, silky, shine leaving DC/leave-in (like silicone mix, humectress, NTM, or sedal, a spray bottle w/water & glycerine mixed. The right size roller for the desired curl affect you want (may take some trial and era), a good hooded dryer, and practice, practice practice, along w/plenty of patience.

Mom23

I am still trying to get this down, but they come out better each time. The most important thing for me has been making sure the ends are really wet and lay flat in the roller to prevent frizzies.:ohwell:

I mean on the roller...

aileenadq

1- PRACTICE!!!

2- Clip the rollers to each other with long duckbilled clips (the metal ones) as well as attaching the roller to your scalp. This helps with a tighter set.

albane

Wet hair and only a few setting lotion
A large number of big rollers (according to your hair length)
A professional hood dryer (and enough patience under)
A friend to help you

macherieamour

BeautifulWideEyes said:
A very moisturizing, silky, shine leaving DC/leave-in (like silicone mix, humectress, NTM, or sedal, a spray bottle w/water & glycerine mixed. The right size roller for the desired curl affect you want (may take some trial and era), a good hooded dryer, and practice, practice practice, along w/plenty of patience.

What does the glycerine do? Ive never heard of this :)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Start with soaking wet hair (keep a spray bottle of water handy in case your hair dries out before your done).

Less product is best (leave in and a serum should be fine)

Don't take the rollers out until your hair is totally dry to prevent frizz.

Don't worry about parting straight just make sure you don't have too much hair on one roller.

Good luck!

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
1) Make sure hair is wet throughout rolling

2) Make sure hair is completely dry before taking out the rollers

3) It takes patience and practice, so don't give up.

4) The set doesn't have to look perfect (i.e. straight parts). Just make sure to roll every piece of hair and make sure to keep the roots taunt (I use mesh rollers and pins b/c the magnetic doesn't do it for me).

joyous

1) Make sure the hair is very wet.
2) Rewet if hair dries before you get to that section.
3) Make sure your ends lay flat.
4) Make sure hair is completely dry to avoid frizzing.
5) Never put to much hair on one roller.
6) Allow rollers to cool before removing.

MizaniMami

KhandiB said:
Im so glad you asked this question MM :D

Me too, because after I get my relaxer in a few weeks I'm ready. I bought a dryer today (a Gold N Hot until I get the pibbs) a parting comb, rollers, clips, a spray bottle, and some rose water to add a mix together (a drop of Aveda Damage Remedy treatment diluted in Rose water). I think I am ready lol!

KhandiB

MizaniMami said:
Me too, because after I get my relaxer in a few weeks I'm ready. I bought a dryer today (a Gold N Hot until I get the pibbs) a parting comb, rollers, clips, a spray bottle, and some rose water to add a mix together (a drop of Aveda Damage Remedy treatment diluted in Rose water). I think I am ready lol!

Im gonna try with the mesh rollers...
I have a dryer , Gold N Hot as well.. But I want the Ion one :)

Ok, Im not gonna buy a new flat Iron this weekend Im gonna try and rollerset again *sigh*

Im thinking of a challenge....
Is there a one line challenge?? If not I wanna start one :) :lol:
or maybe a no DIRECT heat challenge..

You down :lol:

MizaniMami

KhandiB said:
Im gonna try with the mesh rollers...
I have a dryer , Gold N Hot as well.. But I want the Ion one :)

Ok, Im not gonna buy a new flat Iron this weekend Im gonna try and rollerset again *sigh*

Im thinking of a challenge....
Is there a one line challenge?? If not I wanna start one :) :lol:
or maybe a no DIRECT heat challenge..

You down :lol:

It depends, what exactly do you mean by DIRECT heat?:D :lachen: lol I only use 2 lines, Aveda and Nexxus so I think I can be down (kinda)!
I think the one line challenge is good especially for a PJ like me. I am currently selling about 40% of my products on the exchange board so, it just may work.
Which 1 line do you want to use?

KhandiB

MizaniMami said:
It depends, what exactly do you mean by DIRECT heat?:D :lachen: lol I only use 2 lines, Aveda and Nexxus so I think I can be down (kinda)!
I think the one line challenge is good especially for a PJ like me. I am currently selling about 40% of my products on the exchange board so, it just may work.
Which 1 line do you want to use?

I WOULD say Keracare, but I think thats out of my price range right now :lol:

Maybe NTM..
I dont know, might have to do Elasta QP cuz I cannot live without my Mango Butter or my Kemi Oyl :(

*sigh*

No direct heat i would say blowdryers,flat irons, curling irons ..

MizaniMami

KhandiB said:
I WOULD say Keracare, but I think thats out of my price range right now :lol:

Maybe NTM..
I dont know, might have to do Elasta QP cuz I cannot live without my Mango Butter or my Kemi Oyl :(

*sigh*

No direct heat i would say blowdryers,flat irons, curling irons ..

What's wrong with what you are using now? Your hair looks great. I haven't tried Elasta QP, but NTM is good and Keracare was mediocre for me. But my twin sister is in LOVE with it, go figure.
When I say one line, I usually mean, poos, cons, treatments, styling stuff. Moisturizers and stuff don't count for me. Because I love my mango butter and kemi oyl too.

I don't know about that no direct heat challenge. But I may try not to flat iron no more then twice a month.

KhandiB

MizaniMami said:
What's wrong with what you are using now? Your hair looks great. I haven't tried Elasta QP, but NTM is good and Keracare was mediocre for me. But my twin sister is in LOVE with it, go figure.
When I say one line, I usually mean, poos, cons, treatments, styling stuff. Moisturizers and stuff don't count for me. Because I love my mango butter and kemi oyl too.

I don't know about that no direct heat challenge. But I may try not to flat iron no more then twice a month.

Well in that case lets just do the one line challenge, cuz Im liable to get frustrated and quit a no heat challenge the first time my rollerset sucked :lol:

MizaniMami

KhandiB said:
Well in that case lets just do the one line challenge, cuz Im liable to get frustrated and quit a no heat challenge the first time my rollerset sucked :lol:

Cool then, so in that case what do you think went wrong with your rollerset? What tips can you give for me and anyone else thinking about rollersetting?

KhandiB

MizaniMami said:
Cool then, so in that case what do you think went wrong with your rollerset? What tips can you give for me and anyone else thinking about rollersetting?

I know I didnt keep my hair soaked...
I think I had too much hair on the rollers
I Know I didnt sit under the dryer long enough
I dont think I rolled the rollers tight enough or secured them correctly with or without the clamps..

I suck!

cocowhite

Great thread! I will definitely be incorporating rollersets. I have only did one successful rollerset in my life, so I can't wait to try to again, with some new techniques. Thanks ladies :)

Isis

Although my hair isn't relaxed bone-straight, my rollersetting results are still silky, swingy hair. I do ponytail rollersets with several ponytails and olive oil-soaked/sprayed Scunci hair bands, which I learned from Pandora when I first came to LHCF.

Ponytail rollersets (make sure they are not too tight) makes it easier for me to roll up my hair in less time. It's because the ponytails keep the right amount of hair separate from one another and all I have to do is roll each section up.:) I usually airdry in my rollersets overnight using magnetic rollers.

My tips:

1. Hair must be detangled and very wet when rolling it up.

2. Make sure rollers are taut and secured well with pins (I use long duckbills).

3. I use just a little leave-in and seal in the moisture with a little oil or a good pomade. Less is best.

4. Hair must be allowed to dry all the way. If a roller falls out prematurely, just roll it back up and it will be fine.

5. The larger the roller, the straighter the hair. Since I usually don't rollerset for curls, I use the largest size.

Last edited:

KhandiB

Isis said:
Although my hair isn't relaxed bone-straight, my rollersetting results are still silky, swingy hair. I do ponytail rollersets with several ponytails and olive oil-soaked/sprayed Scunci hair bands, which I learned from Pandora when I first came to LHCF.

Ponytail rollersets (make sure they are not too tight) makes it easier for me to roll up my hair in less time. It's because the ponytails keep the right amount of hair separate from one another and all I have to do is roll each section up.:) I usually airdry in my rollersets overnight using magnetic rollers.

My tips:

1. Hair must be detangled and very wet when rolling it up.

2. Make sure rollers are taut and secured well with pins (I use long duckbills).

3. I use just a little leave-in and seal in the moisture with a little oil or a good pomade. Less is best.

4. Hair must be allowed to dry all the way. If a roller falls out prematurely, just roll it back up and it will be fine.

5. The larger the roller, the straighter the hair. Since I usually don't rollerset for curls, I use the largest size.

Got Pics of a ponytail rollerset?

and wouldnt you have a imprint from the ponytail holders?

lonei

MizaniMami said:
Thanks your post inspired y thread. How do you rollerset if you have a head full of newgrowth???

I use to rollerset the normal way, but the longer it grew, the longer it took to put the rollers in. When I had lots of regrowth, rollersetting normally would be a bit harder and the roots would also be very hard to get straight, and once it was dry my roots would be almost impossible to comb through. Now that I do the ponytail rollerset, the hairbands, stretch out the new growth so much that it comes out much straighter than it ordinarily would. Flat ironing
afterwards has really helped with the regrowth in that the two sections are not that different in texture and doesnt cause me any trouble when ever I choose to comb.