Scissor Happy Challenge: 2011

CrownCola

DesignerCurls
Pretty!
Really feeling that twist style, that's what I needed to see about now. :gorgeous: Loving it.

A splash of subtle color looks like a great cure for the hair boredom.

What did you use for that shade?

(Thanks a mil for sharing that btw.)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

DesignerCurls

CrownCola thanks! I'm a little shy so I don't post pic that often but I know how it is to get bored with your hair.

For the color (this might seem strange) but I used Loreal Colorist Secrets Haircolor Remover. I had a dark color all over and during the winter my complexion is extremely pale and dark hair makes me look BLAH! So I decided to use this instead of an actual color. I washed it out it when it reached a shade that I liked (left it in for about 25 min).

HHG...grow&retain!

hareluvah

DesignerCurls beautiful twists!

BlaqBella what did you decide to do to combat the boredom?

CrownCola how are things going with you? What did you decide to do for your PS?

Chocolatelove2010 how's it going with you?

I too am bored out of my mind with my hair. I've been wearing it in a puff because I forget its there so i cant mess with it. Even with twists or braids, i am constantly messing around with it. Im keeping my ends moisturized with whipped shea butter/coconut oil/grapeseed oil, and i just ordered a tangle teaser.

I really want to dye part of my bangs a fun color. Im thinking it will be encouraging to see new growth right in front of me without having to do photo comparisons, and it might help with the boredom situation, and most importantly it does not involve cutting.

No matter how well i moisturize my ends or protective style, i get ssk, so i am at peace with that and i think i will only trim once a year, otherwise i end up cutting my growth off when i "trim".

So what do you guys think? Permission to dye part of my bang?

BlaqBella

Hello everyone..since I found some split ends right after my last post here, I decided that I will not get too stressed about it. So my spring break started last thursday and I hve been wearing a puff (like you OP...so I have no suggestions for the boredom). But I also realize my hair has grown a lot since the last time I tried to wear a puff. My hair feels and looks quite healthy (even though I found splits last week). I plan to straighten my hair in the next two days and do a search and destroy. This should keep me from doing a full trim.

nimmy

Omg this came at the right time...I've cut my hair four times since November, twice last month...I have a problem :nono: lol

I didn't even cut it right, the side pieces are about 3", the top 2" and there's random half inch bits in there's it's just a mess lmao

No more cuts this year...hopefully

CrownCola

hareluvah
I love the idea of course. I'm already plotting my haircolor session for after the takedown.
I feel you COMPLETELY on the constant messing with your hair. Its like no style is safe.
What color are you thinking about?
This black I've never veered from EVER is begging me to bring some change.
DesignerCurls made matters worse. :giggle:
I decided on mini micro twists for my PS.

hareluvah

Omg this came at the right time...I've cut my hair four times since November, twice last month...I have a problem :nono: lol

I didn't even cut it right, the side pieces are about 3", the top 2" and there's random half inch bits in there's it's just a mess lmao

No more cuts this year...hopefully

Welcome! Your post had me cracking up. Im working the multi-length hot mess hair as well. Lord help me!

hareluvah

CrownCola
im not sure what color.... I've done blonde, beyonce brown, dark red, bright red, jet black and burgandy (over the course of 16 years). im leaning towards bright red, like the color rhianna is working, but she's the one that got me in this mess in the first place, making me shave the sides and back of my head lookin' like Play from kid 'n play
LOL!!!!!!!

Suggestions? my husbands only restriction is that it cant be blue!

DrC

Oh Gosh...I might as well park here and call this thread home...I have a serious problem with scissors

CrownCola

↑ I am skeptical as to whether its better or not.
I've gotten plenty breakage from black rinses and dyes before, so I'm gonna approach lightening with much caution...
On second thought unless peroxide makes me shed 2-3 inches off my ends, :lol: I don't see how it could be any worse than me with a pair of scissors.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

hareluvah

So, I didn't dye my hair. The hubby has Spring Break this week so I was finally able to do my hair. It is in mini-twist and my new, non-sabotaging plan is to leave these in for two months, then untwist, detangle (with my tangle teaser which I think will be fine in moderation for my hair- 6 times a year to be exact) Let it breathe for a few days (maybe) then retwist. It's low manipulation and won't get tangled and I won't have to worry about it. I will try and use shea butter on my ends as often as I think of it, but when I think back to when my hair was at its best, I was too busy to mess around with it all of the time. Being a new mom is recreating that for me :)

How's it going ladies? Updates please :)

DesignerCurls

hareluvah glad to see you have your plan going! I am still going strong! Every 3 months I would do a trim whether I needed it or not but not anymore! :nono: I just did a measurement today and I am a couple of inches away from my first goal. I am tooo excited! :yay:

Protective styling is the key!

HHG...grow&retain

BlaqBella

I'm doing really well..since my last post here, I had to do some maintenance (for the ssk's and a few splits). But the culprit was changing my straightening regimen. I started to use my homemade moisturizer (in overkill)lol. Which is fine when it's (my hair) in it's natural state. Hope all is well with you all.

nimmy

Ok, I straightened and trimmed because the way I had initially cut it was jacked up and it was only getting worse with length lol. But I only trimmed the longest parts. It's even and now I have no excuse to cut. My sister has put my scissors in The Safe Place so I can't get at them lol. It's that serious. :nono:

hareluvah

Ok, I straightened and trimmed because the way I had initially cut it was jacked up and it was only getting worse with length lol. But I only trimmed the longest parts. It's even and now I have no excuse to cut. My sister has put my scissors in The Safe Place so I can't get at them lol. It's that serious. :nono:

ummm, that is hilarious!!!!!!!

hareluvah

Okay, keep the updates coming!!!!!!

I'm a few days away from taking my twists out. I actually left them in this whole time! I however have done a horrible job with sealing the ends on the regular so I know I will have to at minimum S&D and at most do a mini trim....EEK!

I am proud of myself though. I think I've just been too busy to mess with it. I still have my moments when I am geeking for the clippers. Thank goodness the hubby is always there to talk me down:)

CrownCola

These twists (put in a fresh set) are the only thing coming between my hair and a cut/color, so there's mixed feelings about em...
By the time they come out, I'll have been long overdue for a little dusting anyway, since I'll likely straighten it for a spell.

Can't help but notice the overwhelming amount of mini twists in this challenge.
Where would our progress be without them, I wonder.

(Insert optimistic looking eyeroll emoticon here)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

DesignerCurls

Where is everyone?
I hope the scissors haven't won the battle! I am still in twist during the week and twist/braid out sometimes during the weekend. I am super excited...because of me knowing that I am in this challenge I haven't cut my hair and therefore I have made it past APL FINALLY!!!! :dance7:

I'm touching BSL and hopefully will be MBL very soon (have about an 1" or so to reach that goal)

hareluvah

Where is everyone?
I hope the scissors haven't won the battle! I am still in twist during the week and twist/braid out sometimes during the weekend. I am super excited...because of me knowing that I am in this challenge I haven't cut my hair and therefore I have made it past APL FINALLY!!!! :dance7:

I'm touching BSL and hopefully will be MBL very soon (have about an 1" or so to reach that goal)

DesignerCurls

Congrats to you! Way to stay focused and put the scissors down. I'm so happy to hear that joining this challenge has helped you reach your hair goals. I can't wait to make it past APL, and I second that! "Where is everyone?" Hopefully not walking around with shaved heads :)

I am definitely feeling the itch. With a 4 month old and the hubby in grad school I haven't even had time to take down all of my twists. My hair grew so much the shed hairs have started to lock in between my twists. I haven't had a growth spurt like this in over 10 years. I think my hair grew 1.5 inches or .75 inches a month. My normal rate is AROUND .5.

So anyways, I tried to convince myself that I was allowed to "even out" my hair!!!! We all know how that would've ended lol!

But I am going to change up the style because it is taking me forever and a day to take these twists down and aint no way I would do mini twists for a month only.

So I'm going to do medium sized box braids in rows of three on the formally shaved portion of my head which in the back is actually almost APL now and I'm not totally decided what to do with the top yet. I do know that I have to tuck my ends though because they will catch on things and break off. I don't think I ever get past APL because of this.

Hope to hear from more of you and to those who are reaching those hair goals HHG and thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

DesignerCurls

@DesignerCurls

Congrats to you! Way to stay focused and put the scissors down. I'm so happy to hear that joining this challenge has helped you reach your hair goals. I can't wait to make it past APL, and I second that! "Where is everyone?" Hopefully not walking around with shaved heads :)

I am definitely feeling the itch. With a 4 month old and the hubby in grad school I haven't even had time to take down all of my twists. My hair grew so much the shed hairs have started to lock in between my twists. I haven't had a growth spurt like this in over 10 years. I think my hair grew 1.5 inches or .75 inches a month. My normal rate is AROUND .5.

So anyways, I tried to convince myself that I was allowed to "even out" my hair!!!! We all know how that would've ended lol!

But I am going to change up the style because it is taking me forever and a day to take these twists down and aint no way I would do mini twists for a month only.

So I'm going to do medium sized box braids in rows of three on the formally shaved portion of my head which in the back is actually almost APL now and I'm not totally decided what to do with the top yet. I do know that I have to tuck my ends though because they will catch on things and break off. I don't think I ever get past APL because of this.

Hope to hear from more of you and to those who are reaching those hair goals HHG and thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

hareluvah the bold is fuuunnnyyy! :lachen:
Congrats on your growth!!!! I like growth spruts!:yep:

I know about not having time and being a mommy. My last 2 children are 17 months apart so I had to wear mostly wash n go and twist when I could! But twist are the best for retention and growth for my hair. They protect my ends and give my hair rest. And when they get old I can do a twist out or pin up twist style. I've only done mini twist my 2 times.

Also have you ever used Kinky Curly Knot Today for detangling? It really works wonder for detangling my hair.

I am going to post pic when I make it to MBL (even if it's just scraping lol) that will be an epic moment for me!

hareluvah

@hareluvah the bold is fuuunnnyyy! :lachen:
Congrats on your growth!!!! I like growth spruts!:yep:

I know about not having time and being a mommy. My last 2 children are 17 months apart so I had to wear mostly wash n go and twist when I could! But twist are the best for retention and growth for my hair. They protect my ends and give my hair rest. And when they get old I can do a twist out or pin up twist style. I've only done mini twist my 2 times.

Also have you ever used Kinky Curly Knot Today for detangling? It really works wonder for detangling my hair.

I am going to post pic when I make it to MBL (even if it's just scraping lol) that will be an epic moment for me!

DesignerCurls Thanks!

I actually realized that all of the shed hair was probably from post partum shedding. I thought I was in the clear since DD is 5 months now but I guess not. My edges are looking a bit rough but I have a TON of hair so I'm not missing it too badly.

I have not tried Kinky Curly Knot Today but I am trying to twist my hair differently that I have before. Nonie posted about twisting each individual section around itself before twisting together to prevent tangles all together so I'm going to give that a shot and if that doesn't work, I will definitely look into KCKT.

The front of my twists are STILL IN!!!! Dear Lord Jesus help me. They have all that gunk/buildup at the end of the new growth so it really is taking forever to take it down and I'm trying not to just rip my hair out.

Then, I have to deep condition, trim, then re-style. When? I have no idea.

Can't wait to see those MBL pics. When do you think you will reach that goal?

DesignerCurls

@DesignerCurls Thanks!

I actually realized that all of the shed hair was probably from post partum shedding. I thought I was in the clear since DD is 5 months now but I guess not. My edges are looking a bit rough but I have a TON of hair so I'm not missing it too badly.

I have not tried Kinky Curly Knot Today but I am trying to twist my hair differently that I have before. @Nonie posted about twisting each individual section around itself before twisting together to prevent tangles all together so I'm going to give that a shot and if that doesn't work, I will definitely look into KCKT.

The front of my twists are STILL IN!!!! Dear Lord Jesus help me. They have all that gunk/buildup at the end of the new growth so it really is taking forever to take it down and I'm trying not to just rip my hair out.

Then, I have to deep condition, trim, then re-style. When? I have no idea.

Can't wait to see those MBL pics. When do you think you will reach that goal?

Hey hareluvah!
I'm glad you figured out what was causing the shedding. Do you add hair to your twist? Is that what Nonie's method of twisting explains?

I am an inch away from MBL so it should be very soon! Me getting past APL has been a journey within itself. I really want to flat iron next Friday so I can do a dusting but I will see.

hareluvah

DesignerCurls

This is how Nonie explained it in another thread...

"Twist like this and you will have long lasting twists that don't tangle no matter how many washes you put your hair through. Once you get the hang of twisting like that, it becomes second nature to do. (Notice that I twirl both strands anticlockwise then wrap them around each other clockwise. It's important that the twirl for both be in the same direction. You'll find doing it this make the strand just wrap around each other naturally the way you were going to wind them, which makes the process go faster.) If you don't believe about how convenient twisting like this is, ask Nix08)"

Not sure if the links will post. If not, I will try a different method.

hareluvah

DesignerCurls

Thanks hareluvah for sharing the links and info. I hadn't seen that technique before either. I might just give it a try to see how it works out with my next set. I don't have problems with detangling (I can usually just run my finger straight down the two pieces of hair to take them a loose...I credit KCCC and some butter for that) I need help with them not getting too frizzy when I wash since I like to co-wash every other day.

I hope you are able to get the rest of yours out! If you are using the twisting technique let me know if works for you too. I always enjoy learning new things about hair care!!!

I have been working hair to reach this goal by the end of June (maybe too hard lol). I truly get the most growth went I don't manipulate my hair alot to style it. But I will be posting a pic or two.

I hope others will start posting their progress, trials, or something! :lol: