September 2016: Hits & Misses

@flyygirlll2

Okay, so I have LP hair and I was scared of the aloe and avocado because they are smoothing and that's a no no for me. I sampled some just in the front and when I rinsed a little after like a minute, it wasn't plastic-y or tangle-ly feeling like most conditoners with these ingredients so high up.

It rinsed soft and strong. I put my hair in 8 sections and applied. I noticed my hair curled up some more. I left it for 10 minutes while in the shower. After rinsing my hair felt balanced. Soft and strong. My curls were popping. It absorbed well because I looked at my hair and it wasn't as green. I was amazed. It's a nice light to barely medium treatment for me but for someone with finer hair, I could see the use of a moisturizing DC after.

This stuff is good but unless I can get it in 16oz (and not 2x 8oz jars) I will not repurchase. Not cost effective. I like it a tad better than SM Sacha Inchi, but I find them both to be in the same league.

Hit:
NurCreations Green Tea and Avocado :drool: Everything @KinksAndInk said. I though the aloe and avocado would kill me but didn't.

Miss:
NurCreations Green Tea and Avocado. I used more than half a jar. If its not offered in 16oz, it's not a repurchase.
Yay! I'm happy you like it. It is definitely yumminess in a jar. Hopefully she brings back the 16oz. I just opened one and have one back up. I will only purchase this if it's available in 16oz. It's a staple and I don't have time for a million 8oz jars all over the place.

Experimental Hit:
Moisturizing certain sections with just QB CTDG and Flaxseed and others with Oin Hair Dew, QB CTDG and Flaxseed. My hair is ultra frizzy (its raining) but the parts just moisturized with QB feel nice. The parts moisturized with QB and Oyin feel better.

Miss:
Rosemary EO in NurCreations GT&A. That stuff lingered more running errands than it did in the shower. Its gone now, but yesterday was a tad overwhelming.

@rileypak @Saludable84 @KinksAndInk @flyygirlll2
I bought 16oz during that Sale and think I received x2 8oz Jars which is perfectly fine with me.

That way, I can use the other jar at my leisure, instead of having a big jar open and worry about using it up.
I got 2 16oz jars which I'm fine with. I have no desire to use any of my other DCs right now (not even the ones I love from HH...idk why) so I'll use the open one until it's gone.

Random: now that @Saludable84 mentioned Avocado being "smoothing" on LP hair, maybe that's what it's doing for mine when I say it feels "hard"?

5 years being natural and I'm still figuring stuff out :drunk:.
Maybe the word is "smoothing."

Yeah. In deep conditioner high on the list, it smooths my hair and then it becomes a hard tangled mess. In leave in itosnt so bad, but I'm kinda over researching avocado oil.

Avocado , green tea, coconut oil, aloe, anything that says repairing, makes my hair hard and tangled.
The only time I can get away with it, is it the owner can formulate it correct, i.e Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree conditioning ghee does not bother my hair AT ALL.

Sarenzo used to have a no shea, aloe , or protein leave in, that was the bomb. She reformulated it slightly so I havent revisited.

Hit: Camille Rose curl maker gel coupled with the moisture milk and almond jai twisting butter!

Has anyone tried the CR algae renew deep conditioner?

Avocado , green tea, coconut oil, aloe, anything that says repairing, makes my hair hard and tangled.
The only time I can get away with it, is it the owner can formulate it correct, i.e Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree conditioning ghee does not bother my hair AT ALL.

Sarenzo used to have a no shea, aloe , or protein leave in, that was the bomb. She reformulated it slightly so I havent revisited.

The NurCreations actually applied, rinsed and reacted well, so it was definitely formulated well for my hair. Based on previous research, I would not experiment with another product so freely.

@shawnyblazes
This is me with HV's Sitrinillah.

It doesn't bother me at all and it has Orange Oil and Orange Extract. For years I've wondered why this doesn't :mwahahafire:but it doesn't.

Other things with only one of these will tear my scalp up!:pyro:

Big ol' fat miss: Jamaican Mango & Lime Pure Naturals Coconut Milk and Honey Moisture Mask

First of all, that's a mouthful of a title. Second of all, I should've known it wasn't going to work for me when I went to scoop it out. My hair likes lotion/yogurt textured type conditioners, not any heavier than that. This was more of a bleached shea butter cream but slightly stiffer texture... I don't really know how to describe it but it pretty much hardened my hair on contact and only softened a little bit when left on for the recommended time. I lost more hair than usual even after "correcting" the effects with some John Frieda conditioner (glad that was in the bathroom). I am never using that again. Like ever. It said it was for all textures but I don't think so...

A Wonderfully HUGE HIT:

Bekura Tonga Mousse Opulent Hair Creme - I :love: :love: :love: this creme. I used it over my greaseless moisture and it sent the moisture level right over the top. It is extremely emollient on my hair. This is a definite repurchase during the black Friday sales if there are any.

Now I have to try that Palm Tapioca to see if that will also be a repurchase item before BF. So far for BF I will be ordering the Honey Latte, Tonga Mousse, and the YAM Nectar and I have to give the VW another go before I can decide.

The Cocoa Bark is not a repurchase item however. I know for sure I will have to add those body Custard Souffles in lemon beignet for sure. I haven't tried the others as yet. Stay tuned for the Palm Tapioca review.

On the FENCE at the moment:

Darcy Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Hair Whip. I used it as a moisturizer tonight and didn't care for it too much but will use it as a deep conditioner and as a leave-in to see if I like it any of those ways.

I did however like it as a body cream, it was moisturizing without feeling greasy on my skin for sure.

A Wonderfully HUGE HIT:

Bekura Tonga Mousse Opulent Hair Creme - I :love: :love: :love: this creme. I used it over my greaseless moisture and it sent the moisture level right over the top. It is extremely emollient on my hair. This is a definite repurchase during the black Friday sales if there are any.

Now I have to try that Palm Tapioca to see if that will also be a repurchase item before BF. So far for BF I will be ordering the Honey Latte, Tonga Mousse, and the YAM Nectar and I have to give the VW another go before I can decide.

The Cocoa Bark is not a repurchase item however. I know for sure I will have to add those body Custard Souffles in lemon beignet for sure. I haven't tried the others as yet. Stay tuned for the Palm Tapioca review.

How does the mousse compare to the honey latte milk?

How does the mousse compare to the honey latte milk?
They are indeed pretty different in my opinion. First of all the honey latte is a nice thick emollient milk on my hair that has good glide and slip. Secondly, the tonga mousse while also milky, it's more of a creamy oil consistency on my hair that offered softness and slip plus great shine.

Believe me, you only need a little of it or you might end up with greasy hair if you use too much, hence the value of it right there. All in all, both are HITS for me. I can very well use the honey latte or even NG Hibiscus and Honey leave in under the tonga mousse for sealing and get great moisturizing results.

I say that because I'm not sure if I'll be able to secure HQS greaseless moisture in the future. I'll stick with Bekura, APB, and NG for moisturizers and leave ins. They've been the best online purchases for my hair so far.

Last edited:
They are indeed pretty different in my opinion. First of all the honey latte is a nice thick emollient milk on my hair that has good glide and slip. Secondly, the tonga mousse while also milky, it's more of a creamy oil consistency on my hair that offered softness and slip plus great shine.

Believe me, you only need a little of it or you might end up with greeasy hair if you use too much, hence the value of it right there. All in all, both are HITS for me. I can very well use the honey latte or even NG Hibiscus and Honey leave in under the tonga mousse for sealing and get great moisturizing results.

I say that because I'm not sure if I'll be able to secure HQS greaseless moisture in the future. I'll stick with Bekura, APB, and NG for moisturizers and leave ins. They've been the best online purchases for my hair so far.

OMG, Aggie. Thanks for this detailed review.

I want the mouse!!! I should have gotten it instead of the tapioca. I'm wondering if I can not reup on Oyin Hair Dew and get the same effect using Bekura's milk and mousse. Loooooove the milk. Hmm . . .

Glad I am doing this no buy. It's just too easy to spend. :smile:

So I've picked up quite a bit of new products since I've been going through stuff so quickly because I'm wearing my natural hair out. Here's what I've picked up and used recently:

New Hits
- Alter Ego Garlic Shampoo
- Okay Pure Naturals Shea Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo
- Okay Pure Naturals Shea Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner
- Okay Pure Naturals 100% Coconut Oil
- Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color in Jet Black
- Eco Styler Coconut Oil Gel
- Tropical Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Therapy

Revisited Hits
- Alter Ego Botanikare Energizing Drops
- Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Press

On the fence/good but not hits
- Creme of Nature Mango and Shea Butter Leave in Conditioner
- Alter Ego Quench and Care Instant Quenching Conditioner
- Alter Ego Garlic Mask
- Okay Pure Naturals Argan Oil Hot Oil Treatment

I picked up the Alter Ego products because I've been having issues with shedding, which it has helped reduce tremendously. They're not the most moisturizing products, hence why I will be alternating them with the Okay Pure Naturals products. I will be using the scalp drops every week though

HIT! Using a DIY braid spray with Infusium 23 and added keratin.

Prior to installing crochet braids, my hair had been shedding like crazy. I used the DIY braid spray with my crochet braid install and had noticeably less shed hairs. I've been bunning my hair for the last 3 weeks and still using the braid spray. And I'm still losing few hairs when I wash/condition my hair. Detangling has been a breeze too.

MISS CurlBox Natural Uncle Funky's Daughter. Where do I start?

1) No full size products; everything except the Curly Magic (which was even smaller) was 6oz :(

2) Supercurl lid arrived half way off the jar so half of that product spilled all over EVEYTHING. :angry2::crying3:

3) I received a bottle of Glossy hair polish and on UFD's site the first 6 Ingredients in Glossy are:

"Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract. . ."

Cyclopentasiloxane is also in it but was low on the list of ingredients.

However, Cyclopentasiloxane is the 1st ingredient listed on the label of the bottle of Glossy that came in my CurlBox Natural, followed by Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Tiare Extract, Jojoba Oil. . .o_O

4) The first 6 ingredients of Thirsty Curls are:
Water, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-11, PEG-8. . .:rolleyes:

5) And the pièce de résistance, the famed Curly Magic, the only truly "natural" product was ONLY 2oz!!? What the heck am I supposed to do with 2oz of gel? I did not expect them to send the full size 18 oz bottle but I really thought it was going to be at least :censored:8oz. *sigh*

So let's recap;

Since half of my 6oz jar of Supercurl (the only product of any real substance in the whole dang box) spilled, I basically paid $40 for about three ounces of hair cream, 2 ounces of a basic (though legendary) natural aloe based gel and 18oz (total) for what amounts to mostly water, Polysorbate 20, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerine and Aloe Vera Juice.

Needless to say I am not a happy customer.

Mini rant:
As far as I can see there's absolutely NO reason why these products couldn't all be full size (except the Curly Magic which I had expected to be smaller though no less than 8oz) Camille Rose Naturals, Bee Mine, DevaCurl, Alikay Naturals, Eden Body Works, Mane Choice and Mielle Organics had mostly if not all full size products in their CurlBox Natural. Uncle Funky's daughter - not one single full size product? 3 6oz bottles of water, Glycerin Polysorbate 20 and Cyclopentasiloxane. Seriously? 2oz of gel for real!?:pyro:

-

Last edited:
OMG, Aggie. Thanks for this detailed review.

I want the mouse!!! I should have gotten it instead of the tapioca. I'm wondering if I can not reup on Oyin Hair Dew and get the same effect using Bekura's milk and mousse. Loooooove the milk. Hmm . . .

Glad I am doing this no buy. It's just too easy to spend. :smile:
You're quite welcome sweetie. I haven't used the palm tapioca as yet but I know I will use it before the BF sales begin:yep:.

Back