Serious HIH Disease Support Needed

crazydaze911

hey ladies!
i just wondered if anyone else dealt with this problem. i have a serious HIH (hands in hair) disease. i mean SERIOUS. ever since grade school i could not keep my hands out of my hair. the problem? im pretty sure it is the reason for my knots and all the split ends i had before my trim. I bite my nails too, and its like the same thing - i do it without even NOTICING:wallbash:. i wear a bun EVERYDAY but that doesnt help. theres always a curl or smthg sticking out which i manage to grab a hold of by the end of the day. cant wear braids to work and had VERY bad experiences (plural) with weaves, plus the ones that cover ur whole head dont look right on me. phony ponies seem to work but they pull/weigh down my real hair and i fear crown breakage and the dumb "ur hair grew overnight" comments at work. Now that im transitioning, the HIH disease is worse! Does ANYONE feel my pain. Is this normal? has anyone overcome this? or does anyone still have this problem but manage to keep away knots and splits?

Traycee

I don't bite my nails...but I have always played in my hair...I found out recently that it is caused by nerves...Let me get excited or nervous and my fingers really get to twirling in my head...

phyl73

In high school, I use to twirl a piece of hair in the back of my head if I were in deep thought or upset. I think it's more of a calming reaction for me. Anyway, since I've been transitioning, I find myself rubbing the top, front of my head. I love the feel of the waves and I guess I'm checking to see if they have grown further back on my head. Who knows?:look:

fungirl08

I can't keep my hands out of my head, either; never could. :spinning: I'm useless for tips to help you curb the urge...Sorry.

crazydaze911

u guys think its possible to still grow your hair long with a problem like this? i dont think i'll ever be able to get rid of my nerves (if thats what it is)...

JustKiya

I have SERIOUS HIH disease - the only way to stop it that I've found that works is to wear my hair up RELIGIOUSLY. The only time my hair is down is if I'm actually 'working' in my hair, otherwise 99% of the time it's up, and/or I have a scarf on it. Even wearing my hair in two strand twists isn't good enough, as I'll start to pull and twirl and play with the end of the twists, and I'll pull hairs....and I'll find all sorts of knots. I think that's one of the reasons my left side has always been slightly shorter than my right - I'm right handed, and so my left hand is usually more 'unoccupied' and free to play in my hair.

I have a spot on the left side of my nape that is fine/almost straight hair that NEVER seems to want to join in the updo - that's my 'torture' area. I've more or less given up on that one spot getting any longer than 3-4 inches, because I'm always playing in it. It's a tiny area though, and I'm willing to sacrifice it to my nerves. :lol:

crazydaze911

I have SERIOUS HIH disease - the only way to stop it that I've found that works is to wear my hair up RELIGIOUSLY. The only time my hair is down is if I'm actually 'working' in my hair, otherwise 99% of the time it's up, and/or I have a scarf on it. Even wearing my hair in two strand twists isn't good enough, as I'll start to pull and twirl and play with the end of the twists, and I'll pull hairs....and I'll find all sorts of knots. I think that's one of the reasons my left side has always been slightly shorter than my right - I'm right handed, and so my left hand is usually more 'unoccupied' and free to play in my hair.

I have a spot on the left side of my nape that is fine/almost straight hair that NEVER seems to want to join in the updo - that's my 'torture' area. I've more or less given up on that one spot getting any longer than 3-4 inches, because I'm always playing in it. It's a tiny area though, and I'm willing to sacrifice it to my nerves. :lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: your problem seems to be as bad as mine. maybe i need to find one spot to focus on. i thought about wearing gloves - if that might help - but i type at work all day :nono:

InnerSoul

HIH disease sufferer checking in :lachen:

I just can't help myself either!!

unfortunately... No known cure available either...except for discipline:drunk:

crazydaze911

HIH disease sufferer checking in :lachen:

I just can't help myself either!!

unfortunately... No known cure available either...except for discipline:drunk:

So - have you still been able to grow you hair long or are breaking and knots a big problem as a HIH sufferer?

InnerSoul

So - have you still been able to grow you hair long or are breaking and knots a big problem as a HIH sufferer?

my hair's growth hasn't been affected from HIH disease as far as I can tell.. but I will say... I do pull out a hair or two:look: when I pull on the hairstrand to hard:nono:

So now I try not to pull but just twirl it in between my fingers and the hair stays in the follicle.

Also to keep my front hairline from receding from HIH... I have worn cute scarves to keep my fingers from grabbing at the hairline... this has proved successful b/c my front hairline got thin from HIH and relaxers in the past, and now that I stretch my relaxers out and keep my fingers from the hairline(for the most part) my hairline is nice and filled in!!.

Just be gentle with your HIH disease and you should be fine!

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I know how you feel because I suffer from it as well. We call it HIH here but it is a real medical disorder called Trichotillomania.

It's basically like any other habit and takes a lot of self discipline in order to control it. I struggle daily and I try to keep my hair out of my reach.....tied up and covered.....braided, etc. This is the only thing that helps. I wear my hair in a ponytail for work and I do pull it then so I'm thinking about going to drastic measures and not even wear my hair down for work (maybe just on my days off) but I don't want to do this.:sad:

Here's a site for some info......http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/trichotillomania.html

Tamrin

unapologetic
Try some way to distract your hands. exercise balls for example. I had HIH disease to the point I got a giant bald spot. I even posted the pics. I started using MN and got twists. I hope you get over it quick. btw your hair is beautiful.

Last edited:

crazydaze911

Troy some way to distract your hands. exercise balls for example. I had HIH disease to the point I got a giant bald spot. I even posted the pics. I started using MN and hot twists. I hope you get over it quick. btw your hair is beautiful.

Thank you for the compliment! and thank everyone for ur support and the link. glad to know i'm not alone. unfortunately i've been this way since age 6 or 7, so idk if i will be able to get over it (i'm 27 now).

crazydaze911

Any updates on conquering this? any stories? i still have this problem and i type all day for work so i havent done the whole medicine ball thing b/c im constantly using both hands...my hand snaps up from the keyboard and to my hair during 'pauses' without me even noticing. Anyone experiencing major set backs from this?

TrustMeLove

I had this or have this bad with my natural hair. Never had it with my relaxed hair.

I am happy my natural hair grew, because now I can put it in twist and that limits the hand in fro disease. However, I really start playing in my hair when I'm studying really badly. I rip out my hair (I did this as a little girl with my nape) and I would have little pieces of hair all around the floor after I finish studying.

Now when I sit down to study I bring my books, pens, pencils, study material, and a SATIN SCARF!

I tie that scarf on my head and I forget I have hair. I focus more on my studies and my hand never reaches for my hair. I learn more and my hair is happy too. Now I keep my scarf on almost all the time even while in the house because I will start playing in my hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Yeah, I try to keep my hair covered, braided or bunned at all times too. That's the only thing that helps. If my hair is out of reach it is out of mind.

unalteredone

I have serious HIH and i dunno about how to stop it at work, but if I tie my hair up in a scarf when i get home i can keep my hands out of it pretty well.

unalteredone

hmmm i thought about it....

And if my hair is in some sort of intricate style, like a "romantic curly updo" that is just pinned perfectly... i can keep my hands out of it because i know i dont want to mess it up, lol. So maybe a bun isnt motivation enough?

yardgirl

I have serious HIH and i dunno about how to stop it at work, but if I tie my hair up in a scarf when i get home i can keep my hands out of it pretty well.

This sounds like me. My hair is under a scarf right now and only then will I not touch it.

Any updates on conquering this? any stories? i still have this problem and i type all day for work so i havent done the whole medicine ball thing b/c im constantly using both hands...my hand snaps up from the keyboard and to my hair during 'pauses' without me even noticing. Anyone experiencing major set backs from this?

Yes I have. It's been happening to me for years. I have 2 bald spots right now that I'm trying to grow out but I'm still touching. I try so hard but I don't know what to do to stop :cry3:. I tend to play with my new growth and then I'll end up with breakage from the demarcation point :wallbash:

crazydaze911

I almost figured it out. I've been transitioning for over 2 years so my new growth isnt the issue - its my ENDS - the most fragile part :(. i twirl them alot with my fingers and im scared i will keep getting splits b/c of this.
i figured out that if i straighten my hair, rather than have it with my normal natural curls, it helps BUT i cant walk around all day with my hair out - thats not good for my retention and it def requires HEAT -also, its getting cold and i always have sweaters on, which i feel pulls my hair and damages my ends as well....so....i just need to gain some control basically lol