Seventh Day adventist

good2uuuu said:
No prob! Enjoy your Dallas trip. Wish I were going......lol.

Thanks...It will be my first time there. I've never been to Texas. I'm excited, I wish you could go too and show me around.

Well, I would have to rely on my cousins for the showing around part. I don't know Dallas at all. My cousins are the Earles, Marvin and Diane, incase you get to church and run into them. They are cool people.

Heeey! I cannot believe that I saw this thread so late. I too was raised SDA, I havent been to church in years though. I went to an SDA school too. Anyone ever heard of Hanson Place? I went to Hanson Place Church for many years as well.

Can anyone tell me why in all these years are the only two high schools in existence still Greater NY Academy and North Eastern Academy? My daughter is getting ready to graduate from Jackson Heights SDA and it really bothers me that besides sleepaways like Blue Mountain Academy and Pine Forge(sp?) those two high schools are our only options.

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Heeey! I cannot believe that I saw this thread so late. I too was raised SDA, I havent been to church in years though. I went to an SDA school too. Anyone ever heard of Hanson Place? I went to Hanson Place Church for many years as well.

Can anyone tell me why in all these years are the only two high schools in existence still Greater NY Academy and North Eastern Academy? My daughter is getting ready to graduate from Jackson Heights SDA and it really bothers me that besides sleepaways like Blue Mountain Academy and Pine Forge(sp?) those two high schools are our only options.

Hey! I know Hanson Place! We didn't get by there much though. I went to Linden school till 3rd grade, then home school then Bethesda for 7th and 8th grade, then Pine Forge. I personally was not about to go to Northeastern, not that I have anything against it, but I did not want to have to get up that early to go to the conference office to catch the bus every day. Folks were a little upset with my dad because they sent me to PFA instead of Northeastern (he was chairman of the board), but, I think the best decision was made.

I guess there are no other schools because of the money it would take, among other things (politics, dare I say). That's a whole nother subject! lol!

I am a SDA as well. I have been once since the age of 10. I couldn't believe how long this thread was on this subject. Anybody going to Oakwood's Alumni weekend. I just made my reservation. It will be March 24-March 27, 2005

Last edited:
HoneyLemonDrop said:

I know Hanson Place. One of my former pastor, pastored there. His name was Pastor Hoyte, he passed last year or the year before.

Regarding schools, that bothers me too. I don't have kids yet, but I know that my kids will not be attending either school. I don't know why we as God's people, have to be so sub par in the education that we provide for our kids. I plan to move my kids to the suburbs like my mother did and have them go to school there. I don't believe that God is happy with what has happened to His schools. Anyway that's my little vent.

good2uuuu said:
Well, I would have to rely on my cousins for the showing around part. I don't know Dallas at all. My cousins are the Earles, Marvin and Diane, incase you get to church and run into them. They are cool people.

Thanks for the recommendation. The service was lovely!!!!! I did not meet your cousins but all the people at the church were very nice. A couple came and picked me up from my hotel and dropped me back after lunch. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks again, and Happy Sabbath to everyone!:)

Hi Levette:wave:,

I live in Atlanta and I've never been to Alumni. I've heard that its something you HAVE TO experience. Maybe one year. What church do you go to? Do you live in the Southeast?

levette said:
I am a SDA as well. I have been once since the age of 10. I couldn't believe how long this thread was on this subject. Anybody going to Oakwood's Alumni weekend. I just made my reservation. It will be March 24-March 27, 2005

RabiaElaine said:
I know Hanson Place. One of my former pastor, pastored there. His name was Pastor Hoyte, he passed last year or the year before.

Regarding schools, that bothers me too. I don't have kids yet, but I know that my kids will not be attending either school. I don't know why we as God's people, have to be so sub par in the education that we provide for our kids. I plan to move my kids to the suburbs like my mother did and have them go to school there. I don't believe that God is happy with what has happened to His schools. Anyway that's my little vent.

I feel you. Ive heard so many not-so-nice-things about both schools and it's really frustrating. I dont want to send my daughter to a public school especially not in NYC....*sigh* Im thinking about moving myself.

levette said:

Have enough fun for me. This is the first year EVER i won't be going. I'm so sad about it. May parents live in Huntsville and we always use this time to be together. Plus that Sabbath is my daughters 2nd birthday and we won't get to have the ususal family celebration.

RabiaElaine said:
Thanks for the recommendation. The service was lovely!!!!! I did not meet your cousins but all the people at the church were very nice. A couple came and picked me up from my hotel and dropped me back after lunch. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks again, and Happy Sabbath to everyone!:)

I'm so glad you had a good time! The people are very nice there.

I knew Pastor Hoyte. I was surprised he passed. My folks attenended the funeral. He was really nice. He showed my family a wonderful time when we visited Barbados when he was there.

HoneyLemonDrop said:
I feel you. Ive heard so many not-so-nice-things about both schools and it's really frustrating. I dont want to send my daughter to a public school especially not in NYC....*sigh* Im thinking about moving myself.

I live in Northern Westchester, my parents moved here before I started the 6th grade, it was one of the best things they could have done for my education. Both my sister and myself got into NYU for college with some scholarships. There are a lot of opportunities at the public schools in this area. I do have a cousin that went to Greater and now he's finishing his last year at MIT, so it really depends on the type of student you are. However I plan to give my child as many advantages as I possibly can.

good2uuuu said:
I'm so glad you had a good time! The people are very nice there.

I knew Pastor Hoyte. I was surprised he passed. My folks attenended the funeral. He was really nice. He showed my family a wonderful time when we visited Barbados when he was there.

Yes Pastor Hoyte was a great man. I did not get to attend his funeral though.

Newly baptized SDA over here!!

I am interested in discussing with you all your views on caffeine drinks/chocolate. My hubby and I feel that this is more a EGW teaching rather than a Biblical principal. We don't eat pork/shellfish/ or consume alchol, however neither of us feel that tea or coffee is a spiritual hinderance or a sin.

Where do you all stand on this issue and any insight that we may be overlooking is most certainly welcome. :)

Hi SBH!

I LOOOOVVVEEEEEEE chocolate:lick:. That is my weakness! Chocolate cake, chocalate candy bars, hot chocolate, chocolate dipped strawberries, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cookies, I could go on and on and on. But I also realize that chocolate is not good for me. Just like a host of other things. Ellen White also speaks about the dangers of sugar. And now the world is agreeing with her on the needs to limit sugar. She was way ahead of her time with the dangers of sugar, smoking and a lots of other things.

I don't believe she calls these individual acts a sin. I believe she lays out in her books what God revealed to her as what is and what is not best for our bodies. Caffeine is a stimulant. Is is good for my body? That is the principle I think she is trying to portray in her books on healthful living. I don't think smoking is mentioned in the Bible but I cannot see how smoking is acceptable in God's sight.

I believe not caring for your temple properly is an offense to God. My body is the temple of God therefore I am required take care of it accordingly.
1 Cor 3:16 -17 says
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Now I know I'm not there yet. I still eat chocolate occasionally (like I said b4, its a weakness:lol:), I don't exercise consistently,I love me some cake, and occasionally I'll have a diet coke (the kind that has caffeine in it). But I am slowly and surely reducing these things from my diet and trying to exercise more often.

God has brought me a mighty long way. I gave up all meat except fish last year, and gave up fish this January. Its not that I believe eating clean meats is a sin. But for me, God has revealed his plan for my life and that includes heathlful living. That includes abstaining from smoking, eating less sugar, avoiding white bread, eating more fruits,vegetables, and nuts and abstaining from meat.

We all are not given light at the same time. But the light you have received you are responsible for knowing and following. Therefore, what God has revealed to me, he might not have revealed to you. And vice versa.

Here is a quote from EGW's Ministry of Healing that sums it up for me:

In order to know what are the best foods, we must study God's original plan for man's diet. He who created man and who understands his needs appointed Adam his food.

Bottom line: God's knows what best for us. Not only in what we do but also what we eat:)

shinyblackhair said:
Newly baptized SDA over here!!

I am interested in discussing with you all your views on caffeine drinks/chocolate. My hubby and I feel that this is more a EGW teaching rather than a Biblical principal. We don't eat pork/shellfish/ or consume alchol, however neither of us feel that tea or coffee is a spiritual hinderance or a sin.

Where do you all stand on this issue and any insight that we may be overlooking is most certainly welcome. :)

Last edited:
weaveitup said:
las vegas SDA over here! i didnt realize there were so many on jthis forum!

Please fill me in on the happenings and church activites there. Nevada is one of the states my hubby is considering getting his license in and if he does, I refuse to live anywhere but Las Vegas. I need to be areound people, not in the middle of the dessert.

natalied said:
Hi SBH!

I LOOOOVVVEEEEEEE chocolate:lick:. That is my weakness! Chocolate cake, chocalate candy bars, hot chocolate, chocolate dipped strawberries, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cookies, I could go on and on and on. But I also realize that chocolate is not good for me. Just like a host of other things. Ellen White also speaks about the dangers of sugar. And now the world is agreeing with her on the needs to limit sugar. She was way ahead of her time with the dangers of sugar, smoking and a lots of other things.

I don't believe she calls these individual acts a sin. I believe she lays out in her books what God revealed to her as what is and what is not best for our bodies. Caffeine is a stimulant. Is is good for my body? That is the principle I think she is trying to portray in her books on healthful living. I don't think smoking is mentioned in the Bible but I cannot see how smoking is acceptable in God's sight.

I believe not caring for your temple properly is an offense to God. My body is the temple of God therefore I am required take care of it accordingly.
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Now I know I'm not there yet. I still eat chocolate occasionally (like I said b4, its a weakness:lol:), I don't exercise consistently,I love me some cake, and occasionally I'll have a diet coke (the kind that has caffeine in it). But I am slowly and surely reducing these things from my diet and trying to exercise more often.

God has brought me a mighty long way. I gave up all meat except fish last year, and gave up fish this January. Its not that I believe eating clean meats is a sin. But for me, God has revealed his plan for my life and that includes heathlful living. That includes abstaining from smoking, eating less sugar, avoiding white bread, eating more fruits,vegetables, and nuts and abstaining from meat.

We all are not given light at the same time. But the light you have received you are responsible for knowing and following. Therefore, what God has revealed to me, he might not have revealed to you. And vice versa.

In order to know what are the best foods, we must study God's original plan for man's diet. He who created man and who understands his needs appointed Adam his food.

Bottom line: God's knows what best for us. Not only in what we do but also what we eat:)

I totally agree, and I too am a chocoholic.

good2uuuu said:
Please fill me in on the happenings and church activites there. Nevada is one of the states my hubby is considering getting his license in and if he does, I refuse to live anywhere but Las Vegas. I need to be areound people, not in the middle of the dessert.

theres a great church on j street. you probably dont know where that is but the people seem really nice. i havent been consistent on going but id love to be. ive noticed alot of the people are west indian...which i REALLY like

weaveitup said:
theres a great church on j street. you probably dont know where that is but the people seem really nice. i havent been consistent on going but id love to be. ive noticed alot of the people are west indian...which i REALLY like

Ok. That's good to know. Now, tell me a little about what it's like living in vegas for 'us' black folk....lol. I have really had some culture shock moving from Nashville to Minnesota, so I gotta know! We do plan to vist there one day soon, so than I'll get a better perspective. Thanks for your input!

I totally agree with Natalied!!! I also have a chocolate weakness, a chicken weakness, and have the occasional beef patty. I don't think these things are sins but God knows what is good for us. You should note that Ellen G. White also had a weakness for chicken I believe, but she eventually gained the victory! I hope to do the same one day.

natalied said:
Hi SBH!

good2uuuu said:
Ok. That's good to know. Now, tell me a little about what it's like living in vegas for 'us' black folk....lol. I have really had some culture shock moving from Nashville to Minnesota, so I gotta know! We do plan to vist there one day soon, so than I'll get a better perspective. Thanks for your input!

i havent really noticed any racism out here. i mean, it exists...hell i went thru 9th and 10th grade with the KKK all up in the highschool. but even then racism wasnt really bold.

the people here are generally nice and our ghetto isnt as ghetto as alot of other states. so the worst of our city is better than the worst of other cities(make sense, lol). but it shouldnt be too much of a culture shock living out here..just be aware that it gets about 115-120 in the summer...ouch!

HAha! Wait till I tell hubby about the 115 to 120 in the summer! He can't STAND hot weather....lol! Thanks for responding!

You know, chocolate is also one of my weaknesses. I love chocolate candy and will impulsively eat it without a second thought. I never really think about caffeine being in chocolate. Does it mean that we are not supposed to eat it?

The other day, I was reading a website re: E.G. White. I ran across something that she was quoted saying that before when a person decides to get right with the the Lord or prior to his 2nd coming , they would get off of meat. What do you'll think about that?

I still struggle with the meat issue. I don't eat the unclean meats, but I love chicken and fish.

good2uuuu said:
HAha! Wait till I tell hubby about the 115 to 120 in the summer! He can't STAND hot weather....lol! Thanks for responding!

lol, then vegas DEFINATELY isnt the place for him

Last edited:
levette said:
You know, chocolate is also one of my weaknesses. I love chocolate candy and will impulsively eat it without a second thought. I never really think about caffeine being in chocolate. Does it mean that we are not supposed to eat it?

You decide. Question is: it good for my body? Is it what God would have me put in my body?
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/49/40053.htm

Though there seems to be some benefits to caffeine according to WebMd, most articles show there are significant downsides.

The other day, I was reading a website re: E.G. White. I ran across something that she was quoted saying that before when a person decides to get right with the the Lord or prior to his 2nd coming, they would get off of meat. What do you'll think about that?

I think light is progressive. As I get closer to God, I notice I don't need "worldly" things as much. I don't have to run out and see the latest movie. Or get the latest R&B cd. I am becoming more content with reading his Word, praying, spending time with my family & friends, or meeting new people. I do believe in the last days the choice between what is wrong and what is right will be abudantly clear.

Please quote the book, chapter, and page where this is stated. If it was a website critical of her work, I wouldn't be surprised if was taken out of context. This happens quite often.

I still struggle with the meat issue. I don't eat the unclean meats, but I love chicken and fish.

I struggled with it too. I grew up SDA. My husband converted in 9 years ago and has been vegetarian ever since. I on the other hand, just gave it up last year. It's not easy but neither is getting proper exercise!:look:

good2uuuu said:
http://www.dallascitytemple.org Don't know why the adress and phone number are not on the web page. This is the only church I have been to in Dallas. Even though it has been several years since I was there, I remember that the service was good.

HTH!

Actually, the address and phone number are on the contact us page.

I was going to say "City Temple". My parents go there and I'm a former member. I'm all late and stuff. It's at 1600 Bonnie View Lane in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas.

Back