Shampooing

Lindy

I'm just curious...

Do you all wash your hair in the shower, or bending over a sink???

I usually do mine bending over the sink; I guess simply because I usually use at least 2 different conditioners and they (of course) have to stay in your hair for more than just a few minutes!!

Lately, (since my hair is longer) I've found that my hair tends to be pretty tangly when I first go to comb it out after all my conditioning. I was thinking this might be because the hair isn't kept back, as it would be if you were rinsing it out in the shower.

Maybe it would help to get into the shower to do the final rinse out?? /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Leshia

Hey Lindy,
I wash in the shower /images/graemlins/bath2.gif most times and do it as soon as I get into the shower. I'll let the first conditioner sit in my hair as I wash, shave, (pray that my kids will go to bed..), etc. and then rinse it out before I get out, towel blot, apply my second conditioner (which either deep condition or is a leave-in), put a plastic cap on and either a towel and sit for an hour or sit or a bandana (over the plastic cap to keep it on my head) and go to bed. /images/graemlins/sleeping.gif

prettygrl

Lindy--
I rinse out in the shower- always with my head going back. Usually, I use a cholesterol conditioner for the last rinse and comb-thru in the shower.It detangles my hair really well and I don't have to worry about combing out once I get out of the shower. /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

NAY007

do you mean the sink like where i wash my hands also or the tub?
i always wash my hair bend over the tub. i was telling allandra in a different post that washing my hair in the shower just does not work for me.
plus when i wash my hair over the tub i have more control only washing my scalp and maybe 3 or 4 more inches but not the length of my hair. cause the hair is hanging down. but if i wash it in the shower hanging down my back or down on my chest i just can't handle washing only my scalp without paying too much attention to my length.

NAY007

lindy,
it is better to actually rinse your hair in the shower so it don't tangle that much. i read that on a couple of other long-long-hairboards. i just can't do it.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I LOVE this forum.. I used to ALWAYZ wash my hair in the sink.. After reading Pebbles' routine, I've started doing the shower thingy. It's a bit tedious, since I have to step in/out the shower, but at least my hair doesn't get tangled, like it does w/ a sink wash. So, I've dedicated a bath robe and two towels to "hair wash" daze. so far, I'm loving the routine.. THANKS PEBBLES!!!!

Paris Belle

Hi Lindy!

I wash my hair over the kitchen sink. To reduce the tangles, I detangle when my hair is wet and with conditioner. A good detangling conditioner also helps. HTH.

Julia

I do both. Recently I purchased a hand held shower spray so that I can wash my while easier while bending over the tub. Makes it easier. Sometimes for the final rinse (after conditioning) I may step into the shower and rinse my hair. /images/graemlins/bath2.gif

Lindy

OK now. I have a few questions for you guys!!

First of all, Leshia!!! Do you mean that you go to bed with the conditioner in your hair??? Wow. Doesn't it get all over your pillowcase? So I guess you get up in the morning and get back into the shower to wash it out, right???

Nay: Yes, I mean the sink. I use my kitchen sink (the bathroom sink would be too small). I can't imagine bending over the tub!!! That must be painful on your neck and back!!! You ought to try the kitchen sink.

Laela: You wash in the shower, then come out, do your conditioning, then go back in again and again??? Wheew. /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif That seems like a pain in the %$#$!!

This is really interesting to see what everyone does!!!

LondonDiva

Always in the shower for me. There is just no other way that works. If I bend over the sink or something that's just too much tangling going on there and also the fact that I have to comb it back down is TOO much manipulation on my tresses. My shower comes off the wall so I can hold it close to my scalp and rinse everything away. Furthermore I get neck and backache from all that bending over it's just not worth the risk of some long term niggling back/neck problems for me.

sweetcocoa

I do both...most of the time it's in the shower though. When I do it in the shower I do as Leshia does....I shampoo first, apply my conditioner, put on a plastic cap and then continue with my regular shower. When I'm done I then do my final rinse, before getting out the shower(which is distilled water). /images/graemlins/bath.gif
Sometimes I'll leave the plastic cap on ...towel off then an hour later delatngle my hair before rinsing in the sink with distilled water.

Julia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
. Furthermore I get neck and backache from all that bending over it's just not worth the risk of some long term niggling back/neck problems for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you... that is why I purchased the removable hand held shower head. I ask my husband to hold it over my head while I rinse if I bend over the sink.

Jenai

I had been doing most of my shampooing over the kitchen sink, but noticed that my hair does not get tangled if I shampoo while in the shower. In the shower, I can keep my hair back in the direction that I intend to comb it.

LondonDiva

GiGi said:
I had been doing most of my shampooing over the kitchen sink, but noticed that my hair does not get tangled if I shampoo while in the shower. In the shower, I can keep my hair back in the direction that I intend to comb it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a great way to detangle my hair for me. I can take my hair out of braids or twists and never need use a comb to detangle. I just stand under the shower for a good 3-5 mins and use my fingers to seperate the hair whilst the water saturates it, before I apply the shampoo.

After life long habits of washing my hair with head bent over the bath, I've converted to washing my hair in the shower with the water going from forehead down and MUCH prefer it. I find the problems of jumping in and out of the shower are outweighed by having less tangled hair and knowing that your washing and rinsing in the direction of the cuticles and how you want your hair to lie flat anyway (hope that makes sense).

I hate doing the wet dry then wet dry routine but like I said, less tangles means less hair loss and hopefully a smoother hair finish in the end.

pebbles

Hi Lindy,

I only wash my hair in the shower. /images/graemlins/bath2.gif On my hair wash days, I keep my bath robe on, and go back and forth in the shower as many times as it takes. I much prefer to do it this way. When I used to wash in the sink, with my head bent forward, I would lose too many hairs trying to detangle my hair. This way, I barely lose any hair at all. I like the shower much better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allandra

Hi Lindy, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I wash my hair in the shower. I just do a lot of jumping in and out of the shower. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NAY007

hey lindy,

my hair is too long to wash it in the kitchen sink. there is not enough space between the faucet and the bottom of the sink. when i bend over the tub my hair is just hanging down and i use my shower head. i think that way i can rinse it very well. you are right my back do hurt sometimes, but the kitchen sink is not an option for me at all /images/graemlins/nono.gif.
nay

LondonDiva

pebbles said:
Hi Lindy,

I only wash my hair in the shower. /images/graemlins/bath2.gif On my hair wash days, I keep my bath robe on, and go back and forth in the shower as many times as it takes. I much prefer to do it this way. When I used to wash in the sink, with my head bent forward, I would lose too many hairs trying to detangle my hair. This way, I barely lose any hair at all. I like the shower much better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pebbles I do excatly the same thing as you with the bath robe on for the whole day or as long as it takes on hair wash day. I find that the pressure of the water can naturally wash away the hair that sheds without the manipultion of combing the shedded hairs out.

daviine

Oh I want to run out and buy a new bath robe now......especially since its so cold now. That would make the hopping in and out so much more worth it...if I got to lounge in my bath robe all day!!!!!!

daviine

levette

I find that it is easier to wash my hair in the shower as well versus using the sink/tub method. What I do is after I shower, I put in a cholestor conditioner and motions detangling conditioner. Next, I sit under a hooded dryer for about 20 minutes. I then jump back into the shower to rinse out the conditioner and then I try to let me hair airdry using the ponytail method. My hair has fared better since using this technique. <font color="brown">

hair pics </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

serena

Until recently (before pre-shampoo treatments and deep conditioning became important parts of my routine) I always washed my hair in the shower; now, all the jumping in and out to rinse out the pre-wash treatment, then to rinse out the shampoo, then back in again to rinse out the deep conditioner gets to me. Now I mostly wash my hair at the kitchen sink, which is very comfortable, since the faucet is set at just the right height. Yes, my hair is more likely to become tangled this way, but using a good detangler makes comb out much easier. If I had to do everything in the shower all the time, washing my hair would become a real chore to me.

Maybe it would help to get into the shower to do the final rinse out??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that would probably be a good compromise, if you really don't think you can detangle properly at the sink. I do that sometimes, if I want to take a shower after I've finished with my hair.

SexyGyrlNY

I used to always wash my hair in the kitchen sink that is until one day I was home alone and washing my hair, well guess what? While washing, some of my hair got into the drain and I got stuck(now looking back its kinda funny, but at the time I assure you, I was not laughing....)with no one in the house to help me, I had to resort to pulling myself free, ripping some of my hair out in the process(lucky for me, I have enough hair to camoflauge that now short spot). And so today I am strictly a shower washer, no more kitchen sinks for me! /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Madison

SexyGyrlNY said:
I used to always wash my hair in the kitchen sink that is until one day I was home alone and washing my hair, well guess what? While washing, some of my hair got into the drain and I got stuck(now looking back its kinda funny, but at the time I assure you, I was not laughing....)with no one in the house to help me, I had to resort to pulling myself free, ripping some of my hair out in the process(lucky for me, I have enough hair to camoflauge that now short spot). And so today I am strictly a shower washer, no more kitchen sinks for me! /images/graemlins/nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

girl i know you went straight into panic mode.

i wash my hair in the shower, it makes the whole process much easier and enjoyable. i love being able to slick my hair back while washing. i get a better feel of my hair growth that way /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

pebbles

Oh I want to run out and buy a new bath robe now......especially since its so cold now. That would make the hopping in and out so much more worth it...if I got to lounge in my bath robe all day!!!!!!

daviine

[/ QUOTE ]

Daviine, you are so funny. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Girl, go out and get yourself a new robe! Enjoy your hair wash day. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Madison

LondonDiva said:
Hey madison

How's the hair growth going since you cut your locs off?

[/ QUOTE ]

im amazed at how fast my hair is growing /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i've gone from a teenie eenie bitsy fro to a much thicker teeny eeny fro /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Integrity

I have been doing it over the bath tub and i dont get tangles or breakage or back ache.

after shampooing, i do not even attempt to comb, i just put in my deep conditioner (do not comb). after deep conditioning i rinse and again do not comb!!

once i have moisturised with motions moisture plus (i dont comb even when applying it) and rinsed off this product is so so moisturizing and detangling that my strands just fall back into place when i toss my head back without the need for any handling AT ALL, but i just like to give it a comb thru once and i get a maximum of 5 hairs, most of which are sheds anyway.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif i love moisture plus too much