Sisterlocks Anyone???

genesis132

Are there any ladies on the board that have these type of locks?? If so, any regrets or is there something you would have done differently? For example, size of your starter locks, ...etc? I think loc'g is the next step for me and over the last year I have grown to admire all types of locs. I went to the official sisterlock site and did a search for a consultant for the heck of it and was surprised to see a few certified consultant close in my area. So....share your experience please.

Fhrizzball

If you do get it just make sure you'll be able to afford the upkeep. I know some people had to chop it all off because their budget couldn't handle it any longer.

genesis132

If you do get it just make sure you'll be able to afford the upkeep. I know some people had to chop it all off because their budget couldn't handle it any longer.

You ain't never lied!!! From reading some of the blogs I came across of ladies with sisterlocks, most end up taking a class to learn to retighten themselves. I know for sure that I would be a DIYer after about 6 months.

Also from research, some people start out with tiny braids called Braidlocs and they look like Sisterlocks as well.

I'm going to either do Sisterlocs or start loc'g with 2strand twists. I am kind of torn bc I like the versatility of styling with the Sisterlocs and then I like the look of medium to large locs.

Why did they have to cut their locs out? I've seen YT vids of ladies who have combed out their locs. Is this not possible with Sisterlocs??

NaturallyMo

I had sisterlocs for 5 years before I combed them out. I absolutely loved the freedom and versitility they offered me. I was natural for 2 years before I started to seriously consider locing. Because of the thickness and amount of my hair, my consultant recommended medium sized sisterlocs which I later found out are actually brotherlocs. At the salon I was going to, the maintence fee was $85 every 8 weeks. Heck that's more than I was paying when I was relaxed, so I learned how to latch them myself. I have an album for my sisterloc days in my fotki.

Fhrizzball

You ain't never lied!!! From reading some of the blogs I came across of ladies with sisterlocks, most end up taking a class to learn to retighten themselves. I know for sure that I would be a DIYer after about 6 months.

Also from research, some people start out with tiny braids called Braidlocs and they look like Sisterlocks as well.

I'm going to either do Sisterlocs or start loc'g with 2strand twists. I am kind of torn bc I like the versatility of styling with the Sisterlocs and then I like the look of medium to large locs.

Why did they have to cut their locs out? I've seen YT vids of ladies who have combed out their locs. Is this not possible with Sisterlocs??

It's possible but it takes way too long from what I heard. But the good thing is you can always transition to bigger locs or join up the smaller sisterlocs if they're not to your style. If you do get them be sure to post pictures. I want to live vicariously through you! :drunk:

genesis132

I had sisterlocs for 5 years before I combed them out. I absolutely loved the freedom and versitility they offered me. I was natural for 2 years before I started to seriously consider locing. Because of the thickness and amount of my hair, my consultant recommended medium sized sisterlocs which I later found out are actually brotherlocs. At the salon I was going to, the maintence fee was $85 every 8 weeks. Heck that's more than I was paying when I was relaxed, so I learned how to latch them myself. I have an album for my sisterloc days in my fotki.

Hey Girlie, I know you had stopped by my fotki awhile back..I didn't know you had sisterlocs! Off to check out your album again.
Also, I haven't researched brotherlocs yet. But I noticed the consultant in my area specializes in both. So it's good to know that if I go decide to loc that she gives me SISTERLOCS and not brotherlocs.

genesis132

It's possible but it takes way too long from what I heard. But the good thing is you can always transition to bigger locs or join up the smaller sisterlocs if they're not to your style. If you do get them be sure to post pictures. I want to live vicariously through you! :drunk:

I haven't made up my mind yet. But I'll be sure to post if I decide to get them. I'm in braid exts now...so I have some time to decide on the type of locs I want to start.

NaturallyMo

Hey Girlie, I know you had stopped by my fotki awhile back..I didn't know you had sisterlocs! Off to check out your album again.
Also, I haven't researched brotherlocs yet. But I noticed the consultant in my area specializes in both. So it's good to know that if I go decide to loc that she gives me SISTERLOCS and not brotherlocs.

Brotherlocs are just larger than the traditional sisterlocs. I have no idea how many I started with, but it was a ton! I researched how to retighten locs using a latch hook and at the time (6 years ago) was able to find a really good photo tutorial. Now they are very hush hush about price, but I will tell you that I paid $500 for my install and not to mention going to them for my first couple of washes, it can be pricey. I am definately going to loc again sometime in the future, but this time I am going to do braid locs with micro braids and latch for maintenance. I personally saw no major validation for the price. I am glad that I didn't get them any smaller. If so, it would have been awful to maintain myself.

As far as the rotations go, 3pt and 4pt refers to the number of times you have to insert the tool into the loc. For instance for your first turn, you would enter the base of the loc from back to front, the next, right to left, next front to back and lastly left to right to make a full rotation. This ensures the there are no gaps left at the base which can weaken the loc over time.

As you saw in my fotki, I treated my locs just as i did my loose hair as far as styling. I dyed, layered, and roller set just to name a few. Ultimately, I ended up with buildup in them and lint over time and during my hormone induced pregnant state, couldn't take it anymore. I was going through some life changes at the time too and just wanted an extreme makeover.

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
I have sisterlocks!! The picture in my avatar is when I had them about 2 months. I've had them 15 months now...I had a moment when I removed the front ones and got a sew in just to see if I wanted straight hair again. I was soo miserable!! I got them reinstalled and have not looked back since...I really like sisterlocks. They are extremely versitile and for a person who works out daily like I do, they are a Godsend! Earlier posts are correct. If you don't have the money to do them then don't get them. I found a consultant who tightens for 50.00. My hair grows really fast, so I go every 4 weeks. I have been relaxed. I was natural for 5 years before I got locks. and now I'm locked. Sisterlocks have definitely been the best style. I hated the beginning stages where they were really skinny though. And I got my hair cut and I hated having them shorter, but other than that, I enjoy them. I took the retightening class, but just haven't felt like actually doing it myself yet. It is worth the $50, just to do get someone else to do it!

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
oh and mine are very small..I love that I got them small...wouldn't have wanted them any bigger. As a matter of fact, i wish some in the top were smaller!

Guapa1

Hiya,

I don't have sisterlocs, but I have braidlocs that I started myself last year.

I'm a DIYer by heart, and paying someone to knot my hair didn't sit right with me. I latch with a small hair pin and latch about every 5-6 weeks. Pictures are in my fotki.

genesis132

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. I have a consultation apt. this upcoming Weds. I'm going to take down some of my braids in different sections of my head so she can get a feel for my hair texture/density,,etc. (She said I didn't have to take all my braids down). Then she will install some test locs in the back of my head. This should give me an idea of starting my locs w/ Sisterlocs or TST. Now Guapa1..I'm off to stalk your fotki bc the bradelocs intrigue me as well.

genesis132

Also..thanks everyone for posting about the cost of maintenance. I think it's good to know these types of things upfront for anyone besides myself that may be considering Sisterlocs as well. As with anything in life...RESEARCH...RESEARCH..RESEARCH!!

Naptrl, your locs in your AVI pic are stunning. I couldn't tell that they were SLs..let me check to see if you have a fotki :)

thefineprint

I have sisterlocks too but I don't pay a maintenance fee :nono:. I taught myself how to retighten my own after 1 year. There a plenty of blogs and youtube videos on how to latch your locks now. My sisterlocks were $500 to install and I paid about $60 every 2 months during the first year for retightenings. They have been free every since! Ladies bulk at the initial price for sisterlocks but I see some of ya'll spending mad $$ for the magic 'grow my hair long product' of the week. :grin::grin: That money adds up!

I have medium sized sisterlocks - here is a picture:

genesis132

I have sisterlocks too but I don't pay a maintenance fee :nono:. I taught myself how to retighten my own after 1 year. There a plenty of blogs and youtube videos on how to latch your locks now. My sisterlocks were $500 to install and I paid about $60 every 2 months during the first year for retightenings. They have been free every since! Ladies bulk at the initial price for sisterlocks but I see some of ya'll spending mad $$ for the magic 'grow my hair long product' of the week. :grin::grin: That money adds up!

They look good, thanks for posting this pic! I actually get my SLs this weekend :grin: and I was thinking about the medium size. I def do not want the tiny size.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Brotherlocs are just larger than the traditional sisterlocs. I have no idea how many I started with, but it was a ton! I researched how to retighten locs using a latch hook and at the time (6 years ago) was able to find a really good photo tutorial. Now they are very hush hush about price, but I will tell you that I paid $500 for my install and not to mention going to them for my first couple of washes, it can be pricey. I am definately going to loc again sometime in the future, but this time I am going to do braid locs with micro braids and latch for maintenance. I personally saw no major validation for the price. I am glad that I didn't get them any smaller. If so, it would have been awful to maintain myself.

As far as the rotations go, 3pt and 4pt refers to the number of times you have to insert the tool into the loc. For instance for your first turn, you would enter the base of the loc from back to front, the next, right to left, next front to back and lastly left to right to make a full rotation. This ensures the there are no gaps left at the base which can weaken the loc over time.

As you saw in my fotki, I treated my locs just as i did my loose hair as far as styling. I dyed, layered, and roller set just to name a few. Ultimately, I ended up with buildup in them and lint over time and during my hormone induced pregnant state, couldn't take it anymore. I was going through some life changes at the time too and just wanted an extreme makeover.

Hi ladies! first and foremost, I would like to say I am also about to take the plunge and join the Sisterlocks family. My installation is scheduled for April 7, 2010-April 9, 2010. Hopefully those 3 days will be enough time. If not, I'll just hide whatever part is not done and do what I have to do over the weekend and then resume whenever my consultant has the next available opening.

This thread has some good info. NewlyNaturalAgain, I saw your sisterlocks and they were pretty. When you say you had buildup, what was the buildup from? On most of the YouTube vids, blogs, etc. I've checked out the ladies don't put anything in their hair. One lady did, and her hair was :yep: THE BUSINESS!!! I can't remember her YouTube name but at the bottom of the video it said video loctician.

I just met a girl who has sisterlocks and I told her to try to get the lint out of hers with a pair of tweezers. She said she would try it, and if that didn't work she would just use a black permanent marker to fill it in to match her hair color. It sounded like a good idea to me.

those locks are beautiful!!! after a while I will probably learn how to retighten myself as well. I'm just enjoying the last few days of my loose natural hair (nothing crazy, just having it "out" since i've had it in protective styles and headwraps forever. plus, I thought it would be nice to do that for my husband since he won't see my hair like that anymore.)

Do you have a fotki or other place where you document your journey?

Last edited:

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I am bumping this....I am about to get my first retightening....I have A LOT of new growth after just 4 full weeks of having my whole head completed....I LOOOOOOOOOVE MY LOCKS!!!!