SL 2015

faithVA

I am ending the year better than I started but I really didn't retain that much this year. I am thinking I retained maybe 3 inches. I did a lot of trimming. I'm to lazy to measure. I need to do a better job tracking my retention quarter to quarter.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Girl, ain't nobody patient. :lol: We hate it just as much as you do. We just know that the more we fight it the worse it gets so we force ourselves to stick to a regimen. And we hang out in here because its nice to have support while we are waiting and it helps to talk through the frustration. But most of us understand what you are going through.
Right! Cuz 2 years of the awkward length is really pleasant :lol::nono: aint nobody patient @jennifer30. But what choice do we have? Lol

ForestRose

you were at the same length for two years?
After I started my HHJ I was at the same length for 10 months. It's not uncommon for people to stay at the same lengths for even 5 years + even with effort just because they don't understand how to look after there possibly fragile hair. I remember what I first joined this forum (about 2 months into my HHJ) I spend 8 months jealous of all the growth thinking that I was the only one who wasn't retaining. I agree with Faith that you need to keep your hair covered and trim regularly. Seems to work for most of us here. Then after you start seeing your hair thickens up and your retaining, you can start experimenting with your hair and allow yourself to focus on it a bit more.

The reason I'm saying all this is because I want you to know that you aren't the only one who had a period of no growth when you started out HHJ. Nearly all of us did.

jennifer30

After I started my HHJ I was at the same length for 10 months. It's not uncommon for people to stay at the same lengths for even 5 years + even with effort just because they don't understand how to look after there possibly fragile hair. I remember what I first joined this forum (about 2 months into my HHJ) I spend 8 months jealous of all the growth thinking that I was the only one who wasn't retaining. I agree with Faith that you need to keep your hair covered and trim regularly. Seems to work for most of us here. Then after you start seeing your hair thickens up and your retaining, you can start experimenting with your hair and allow yourself to focus on it a bit more.

The reason I'm saying all this is because I want you to know that you aren't the only one who had a period of no growth when you started out HHJ. Nearly all of us did.
whaaaat. 5 years +!?! thats too long.. maybe i'm not doing something right with my hair..maybe i am using the wrong products..i dont know.. i comb my hair a lot also.. *blush* i just dont know what to do anymore.. i guess i'll just have to accept what is and embrace the hair God has given me..and leave my hair alone....in the meantime..

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
you were at the same length for two years?
Well yes and no. I made it to cbl but had a set back (no protein among other things) so had to chop again. Realized end of last year I never put the scissors down. Each dusting was actually a trim. Smh. Now I seek and destroy and dust and protein often (fine, fragile 4c). Much better progress now.

Not everyone takes this long. Just took a while to figure out a regimen.

faithVA

whaaaat. 5 years +!?! thats too long.. maybe i'm not doing something right with my hair..maybe i am using the wrong products..i dont know.. i comb my hair a lot also.. *blush* i just dont know what to do anymore.. i guess i'll just have to accept what is and embrace the hair God has given me..and leave my hair alone....in the meantime..
Combing your hair a lot is an issue. If you grow 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch a month you can easily comb enough to break 1/2 inch a month. And if you are using heat on top of that it's even worse.

You have to be willing to put your hair away to get the retention you want. Most with long hair keep their hair up and only wear it out occasionally.

jennifer30

I wish it were only 2 years. I've been on this board 5 years and never been past SL. 2016 is my year. I'm claiming if. Not going to do anything to mess that up.
wow you're saying you been on this forum for 5 years and still trying to reach sl?! i would have gave up..i hope you make it next year..thats a long time

faithVA

wow you're saying you been on this forum for 5 years and still trying to reach sl?! i would have gave up..i hope you make it next year..thats a long time
:lol: at pelohello.

It is a long time. I'm just a persistent person. I had two major set backs which cost me a lot of time but I learned a lot about my hair.

I could have given up but I decided to keep investing in learning and I feel it's laying off.

I believe I can do it so I will stick with it until I prove it out.

Wenbev

:lol: at pelohello.

It is a long time. I'm just a persistent person. I had two major set backs which cost me a lot of time but I learned a lot about my hair.

I could have given up but I decided to keep investing in learning and I feel it's laying off.

I believe I can do it so I will stick with it until I prove it out.
good for you Ms. Faith! and your investment is paying off after looking at photos of your curlformer/flexi set!

And for the record, I have had setbacks and two big chops since being on this forum. I have learned from it all. Until you can be happy with your hair at all lengths, you will never really learn what your hair needs to get it to the next goal.

ForestRose

Wow the typos in this post are:nono::ohwell::perplexed: lol. I've counted 7 and only read half:thud: lol dunno what happened there

faithVA

Wow it looks the same. How did you do that:O. I'm usually never able to extend my braid outs. I always have to redo it.

I guess in a way I did redo it since I rerolled it with flexi rods. (Rerolled probably not a word :lol:) But installing those was much shorter than doing a full curlformer set. If my curls were tighter all over I probably could have gotten away with just redoing the perimeter. But since I'm not using any product to set, I'm not sure my curls have the hold to last through 8 hours of sleeping.

faithVA

I put my hair in 2 strand twists last night and trimmed the ends. It's coming along. It's definitely better than it was at the beginning of the year. The back still needs some work. I am hoping by June 2016 my ends are much improved. I'm wondering if I need to do protein a little more often. I think I got off schedule.